snail mail project

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: snail mail project

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Sage works. take apart one of your smudge sticks.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby bigdane » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:46 pm

moonrise wrote:Fun idea! I think a briefcase is big enough and maybe get yourself a mailbox Bigdane...mail boxes can be made from almost anything (might want to be careful how much and how big your 'stuff' is since you're a loooong distance traveler to the burn and all) Maybe a mailbox attached to your bike (or at your camp for incoming mail) and a sturdy handle on a deep/big, used briefcase. I think a small suitcase would be a drag to haul around, I could be wrong, but uh, my gut intstinct, is a briefcase.

I collected post cards for years, I had over 15,000+++ at one point.
They were stapled in beautiful designs on the walls & ceilings inside a few rooms, including over doors and up the staircase of the house, down a looong hallway, ceilings and all, and exploding into bedrooms (it began in the kitchen and just kept on going...for over 10 years!!) I would pencil/draw the outlines of the designs w/suggested colors noted and leave a stapler with many boxes of staples out for freinds and visitors bearing post cards.
They would staple the cards up themselves. It became a massive art piece over the years!!

It'd be cool to start a legal post card chain letter originating from BRC. I tried to google post card chain letter and came up with a ton of unrelated schtuff [I gave up]

I think you can contact the BRCPO on the website www(dot)brcpo(dot)com and ask them what's up.

A while back I read the brc postal workers were disappointed that most of the out going mail was not within Black Rock City & they want more mailings inside the city because it's more fun than driving the mail to Gerlach to be mailed to the default world. The deliverers like the adventure of finding the camps and the mail boxes and the rewards they often get... :P (I think some of the deliveries take a long long time to complete, maybe alllll day...BIG rewards might be approriate in that case, uh huh)

I think the size and scope of your project is good/manageable for a burgin traveling long distance. Once on playa it's portable, that's gooood. I imagine you will easily seek refuge from the heat in the places everyone has offered and suggested. wh..sh is right about busy spots and center camp, cool cool shade and plenty of people there.

Maybe we can all send C/O [enter the eplayan name(s)] mail to Barbie Death Camp on Thursday in the morning! Haha, Doc and the gang can handle the excitement, I think....(can you?) Does BDC have a mail box?

P.S. If you no show to the MnG, we burn your mail :twisted:

GREAT IDEAS Moonrise!
I love the way this idea is growing through the imput of some my newest friends! Yes, I think the idea of a briefcase is more managablethan a suitcase, though I wonder if a small suitcase might hold more art supplies for creating postcards? My original though was to collect "out going mail" postcards folks could mail to friends or even themselves to arrive when they return home...bearing "the postmark". But I like the idea of gathering mail from others to send to the M&G addressed to their new and old friends on the playa.
I've been thinking of also designing some kind of Fertility inspired postcard that could be colored in by the sender! And then taking pictures of each of them...who knows what I might end up with...before delivering them to either the M&G or BRCPO...And the idea of a malbox on my bike...brilliant!
Definitely portable, definetly hitting the spots wh..sh suggested, also BRCPO, BDC-M&G, AntiM Wayward home and the offers from those on here...
Figure I can pick up mailbox, suitcase/briefcase,whichever...in Reno...when I arrive. Carry on some supplies but pick up most before heading out to the playa. Also wonder if I can go to one of those online sites and create some kind of stamp that I can gift to senders for real mail, and another "not real" stamp to those being dispersed on the playa....whew... :wink:
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby moonrise » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:34 pm

@BigDane, Be careful not to over do it. Burning Man is busy busy busy, constantnly changing by the minute and it's very easy to get distracted your first year!!

Some thoughts;

*Contact brcpo!!! I bet they have a bajillion ideas, suggestions and needs. Ask them about custom rubber stamps et cetera...
*A suitcase could be a heavy burden to haul around. It would definately be a conversation starter, hahaaa! (It fell from the sky, or I'm fed up and moving, etc etc)
*A mailbox mounted on a bike might use much needed space to haul/help haul the suitcase or briefcase. (a good latch and bring 2 ratchet straps for extra measure)
*If you get a mailbox, I would empty the mailbox before riding/moving the bike. Let it be a prop? Don't rely on it to hold things well?! It gets bumpy out there!!
*Handcuff the suitcase/briefcase to your wrist? ("Top Secret" could be drawn or vinyl stickered to the exterior, maybe get bumper/vinyl stickers done b4 and bring them with you. You MUST clean the surface before attempting to get a sticker to stick, the ultra fine dust does a number unless you CLEAN the surface extremely well. Better yet, it's best to stick the stickers on before hitting the playa!!)
*The exterior of the suitcase/briefcase to be used for a writing surface, or a solid art project, MV etc surface.
*Think light load, leave the bulk of the supplies in your camp, and reload when needed. This sounds like a daytime project, save energy for exploring day&night.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:57 pm

I keep thinking that the briefcase has fold out legs.

I'm probably hung up on the Luggage...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:00 pm

I knew I had a pic somewhere-
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby moonrise » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:03 pm

You have a crush on luggage Fishy? This is news!!

Schweet stamp Bounce. (I need to get me one of those...)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby bigdane » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:54 pm

Bounce530 wrote:I knew I had a pic somewhere-

cool Bounce! Did the mail go thru BRCPO?

moonrise...you're absolutely right! I do have a tendency to overdo...I'll heed your advice and keep it focused. I have contacted BRCPO but have not rec'd a reply....I presume some projects/emails/groups are not monitored 365 and figured I would hear from someone after the first of the year.
bigdane

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:00 pm

Yep, that was a post card I was gifted on playa, I wrote a short note on it, took it to the BRCPO near center camp, and mailed it to my daughter back home in California.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby AntiM » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:17 pm

I have a postmarked envelope like that! From 2002 I think.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby bigdane » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:13 pm

thats so cool!
bigdane

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:01 pm

moonrise wrote:You have a crush on luggage Fishy? This is news!!

Not all luggage...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby moonrise » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:01 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
moonrise wrote:You have a crush on luggage Fishy? This is news!!

Not all luggage...

Laughing out loud!!!!!!

Talk about "baggage" The Luggage decribed as "half suitcase, half homicidal maniac" and it tracks it's owner down! Magical, juggernaut style?!! :shock:

Great tales Fishy...I'll read more of them thar tales when I have some boredom to kill. Thanks :wink:

Bigdane please choose your suitcase wisely, for eveyone's sake!
moonrise

Postby bigdane » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:16 pm

one of my images for my snail mail note cards....I'm trying to find my polaroid to snap a pic of the correspondent to include with their note to...well to whomever...

bm3.jpg
notecard sample
bm3.jpg (197.64 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
bigdane

Postby MisaBlue » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:17 pm

In 2010, my first Burn, I was given a postcard at BM. I couldn't figure out whom to send it, because it was only one postcard and too many options.
And then, one wise man (yes, don't look at Ygmir you all!) told me I can send to myself.

Hell yeah! I did it, I wrote "Postcard to return Home in 2011"...it was delivered after my arrival in Prague, it had arrived during very shitty day and it couldn't make me happier...and I did return Home in 2011, so it worked.

Last year I brought around 40 stamps...some of them I exchanged for postcards in BRC Post Office (they especially need the international ones!!!).
I sent out 20 postcards (and it costed me dance, bite and apple). I remember giving one postcard and stamp to some guy who had fallen asleep next to me in Deep Heaven when I started to write them and woke up just on time when I finished...he was so cute, so confused when I was giving him the postcard :)

I plan to bring the stamps again and BD, be sure your project get some ;)

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Can you print your own for international postage, or is that just asking too much of post offices abroad?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby MisaBlue » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:10 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Can you print your own for international postage, or is that just asking too much of post offices abroad?

I know it is possible to print your own stamps here...but I actually never checked if they could be used internationally...GOOD POINT FISHY!!!

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:20 pm

That makes me feel very pleased....
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby MisaBlue » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:34 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:That makes me feel very pleased....

Well, YOU ARE DA BEST!!!

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:43 pm

*high fins back*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby tamarakay » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:40 pm

And of course you will have full use of the Dye with Dignity hut. I love this project!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby bigdane » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:29 pm

I've heard that there is a possibility that BRCPO may not be operational this years...mais non!!!...quel tragic!
bigdane

Postby moonrise » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:03 pm

bigdane wrote:I've heard that there is a possibility that BRCPO may not be operational this years...mais non!!!...quel tragic!

Sorry to hear that, I love the BRCPO!

What's going on? Why the possible change this year?
moonrise

Postby bigdane » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm not certain at thispoint...only rec'd one reply to inquiries but it appears that there isn't enough interest to make it happen this year...

if anyone knows anyone connected with BRCPO perhaps they could get clearer info...and my hope is that that camp will gather enough folks with a change of heart to bring it back. I wonder also about the postmark...
I will still gather mail per my original plan (very small scale) and make sure it gets sent "home" to where it belongs...
bigdane

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:47 pm

moonrise wrote:
bigdane wrote:I've heard that there is a possibility that BRCPO may not be operational this years...mais non!!!...quel tragic!

Sorry to hear that, I love the BRCPO!

What's going on? Why the possible change this year?

I know their transportation died last year, and they barely got it together for 2011. I donated a few bucks to the repairs. Other than that, I don't know the details.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby bigdane » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:25 pm

AntiM do you know anything about the commemorative postmark? Was that something the PO in Gerlach did or something BRC/BMOrg oversee?
bigdane

Postby AntiM » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm not sure, but since it was an official postmark, Gerlach PO may have had something to do with it.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Previous

Return to 2012 Art & Performance