Canadian wanting to bring Art Car

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Canadian wanting to bring Art Car

Postby thehoopfairy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:48 pm

I live in Vancouver BC Canada and I am interested in bringing an Art Car for 2012. I am not sure how complicated it will be to cross the border though. Anyone out there who knows what paperwork I will need to cross? I plan on towing the Art Car behind my truck on a trailer.
thehoopfairy

Re: Canadian wanting to bring Art Car

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:52 pm

I think that this is something to go straight to the DMV for. Yes, there is value in talking to participants, but second and third hand stories are likely to be weirdly inaccurate. If there's been a car from Canada before, hopefully the Hotties have the information. (And it's hard to believe that there hasn't been at least a few over the years.)
I'm guessing that the email is dmv@burningman.com
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:42 pm

ive seen canadian vehicles come through the processing queue in DMV processing sessions..

i know nothing more than that, just that people do bring them.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Stickygreen » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:17 am

there have been many art cars from Vancouver to go to BRC, in recent years. You should get in touch with EATart ( http://www.eatart.org/ ) they have created numerous machines that have been towed to the playa, and also talk to Disaster Area ( http://disasterarea.tempco.org/index.ph ... &Itemid=40 ) they have a truck that they drive to the playa from Vancouver.

it's not that hard, especially if you're towing it....
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby moonrise » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:11 am

Art Car vs Mutant Vehicle.

You might want to use the term Mutant Vehicle and read up on www(dot)burningman(dot)com web page about the difference between the two terms, Art Car and Mutant Vehicle. Especially if you want to register and drive it at the burn during the event.

Have fun, and good luck!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Sham » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:24 am

The boarder crossing from Canada should not be an issue with an art car or mutant vehicle. They do the usual boarder checks for passport/contraband items/stowaways etc.
Your big concern that others have mentioned, is making sure that your vehicle will be allowed on the playa. People DRIVE their daily driver art cars to the playa all the time, and park them for the week. You CANNOT tow or trailer an art car into BRC without a permit from the DMV. The DMV had gotten much more stringent as to what's allowed to cruise the playa. Before you start putting money into making an art car/mv, read up on what is acceptable for permitting.
I've crossed both Canadian and Mexican boarders with an art car and got little more than "WTF is that" comments from the boarder guards.
Sham

Postby thehoopfairy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:21 am

I am looking into the requirements with the DMV and I have been in touch with them via email...I think we should be okay on that side...just have to send in our application. We are bringing Mad-Max from Shambhala..the little car with the giant bubble on it! :D
Good to know the border doesn't question you too much! I wasn't sure what requirements were needed to cross with a vehicle on a trailer uninsured etc.
thehoopfairy

Postby moonrise » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:18 pm

thehoopfairy wrote:I am looking into the requirements with the DMV and I have been in touch with them via email...I think we should be okay on that side...just have to send in our application. We are bringing Mad-Max from Shambhala..the little car with the giant bubble on it! :D
Good to know the border doesn't question you too much! I wasn't sure what requirements were needed to cross with a vehicle on a trailer uninsured etc.

Sounds like Mad Max the bubble MV will be loved by the BRC DMV Hotties (it is an MV correct? or can be mutated into one before the burn?) Might wanna start sayin, Mutant Vehicle, NOT art car, just a suggestion.

Got any photos of Mad Max you can post? I read MV's didn't do well at Shambhala fesitval, something about no room to move. Brtizbitz mentioned something too. You'll wanna beef that baby up for maximum usage because out on the playa there's a LOT of open space and room to spread your wings (does it have wings?) :P

btw, uninsured, & etc Those words concern me, sure get it in (we hope) and then, getting it back OUT of the USA?!! What does etc mean? No proof of onwership, registration, other? I think Stickygreen steered you in the right direction when he suggested you should get in touch with eatart(dot)org (why mess around?!!).

Insurance can be obtained fairly easily, there's a thread about insurance for burning man, it's full of good advice. Sorry, I couldn't find it, maybe someone better at searching can.

I think Shambala, one of our moderators knows of a good Mutant Vehicle insurance company. And there's always LLoyds of London...their rates can be okay-ish.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby thehoopfairy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:07 pm

Mad-Max is a little truck with no doors or windows...we have the proper proof of ownership but it is uninsured because it can not be legally driven(no doors or windows) this is why I am concerned about crossing the border.

This is the only pic I can find which is from Mad-Max's Facebook page. We plan on adding more additions to make it a true MV but this is the basis.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
thehoopfairy

Postby lemur » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:26 pm

stripped down doesnt = mutant vehicle
lemur

Postby Sham » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:51 pm

If the vehicle is on a trailer, and the trailer has a plate and insurance, then you are legal.
It appears that the DMV can give you a thumbs up on bringing that MV based on the photos.
Hagerty Insurance has been awesome in providing insurance for art cars and mutant vehicles. I would highly recommend getting some sort of insurance for both the long drive and the liability of having it on the playa. Here is a link to see if this vehicle qualifies with Hagerty. http://www.hagerty.com/Collector-car-in ... le-qualify
This is only a recommendation, and other companies offer this type of insurance as well. My experiences with them have been really good, and the rates are much less than a daily driver.
Sham

Postby moonrise » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:00 pm

thehoopfairy wrote:Mad-Max is a little truck with no doors or windows...we have the proper proof of ownership but it is uninsured because it can not be legally driven(no doors or windows) this is why I am concerned about crossing the border.

This is the only pic I can find which is from Mad-Max's Facebook page. We plan on adding more additions to make it a true MV but this is the basis.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Nice bubble car!! I bet you'd pass the dmv hotties inspection faster if there's a hot naked raver chick/guy/whatever floats your boat, dancing inside the bubble!

I think a mutant vehicle is supposed to be a marriage of two different types of vehicles, or some very radical changes of that nature. That being said, the bubble part looks great, but the rest does look like a stripped down vehicle. Seems the eplayans with the knowledge are busy this weekend havin' fun (where are you?!!) For now I'd be searching the BM main webpage and everyfuckingwhere on the www for what can be done to complete Mad Max.

The insurance I was thinking about wasn't for driving on public roads. I was thinking about liability for yourselves and fellow burners while you're driving your MV on the playa. Also if you have any paperwork whatsoever, might wanna bring that too for the border crossing. I'd ask lotsa questions starting with eatart(dot)org peeps, I'm fairly sure they'll help with the details if they're burners.

ETA Good advice Sham! Do you really think it'd pass brc dmv as is? Even so, it wouldn't take much to throw some interesting doo dads on it, like alllllll over it, just wanna be sure they stay on and don't become MOOP.
moonrise

Postby Stickygreen » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:14 pm

hey thehoopfairy, you should contact Disaster Area, the truck i linked you to, was denied a DMV permit it's first year on the playa, cause they were told it was just a stripped down vehicle.. The DMV really is an opinionated business, one guys acceptable is not the same as the next guys... They did however get a license for nighttime use, cause it lite up like crazy (another thing to consider) The following years they didn't change a thing, and have gotten a license to drive at BM day, and night no problems..

If you're coming from the Shambala crowd, there are lot's of burners that can steer you in the right direction, just ask your network of peeps..
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby lemur » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:30 pm

moonrise wrote:
Nice bubble car!! I bet you'd pass the dmv hotties inspection faster if there's a hot naked raver chick/guy/whatever floats your boat, dancing inside the bubble!

I think a mutant vehicle is supposed to be a marriage of two different types of vehicles, or some very radical changes of that nature. That being said, the bubble part looks great, but the rest does look like a stripped down vehicle. Seems the eplayans with the knowledge are busy this weekend havin' fun (where are you?!!) For now I'd be searching the BM main webpage and everyfuckingwhere on the www for what can be done to complete Mad Max.

ETA Good advice Sham! Do you really think it'd pass brc dmv as is? Even so, it wouldn't take much to throw some interesting doo dads on it, like alllllll over it, just wanna be sure they stay on and don't become MOOP.

if i saw that one come through the DMV processing queue i would vote a no on it.

"What is a Mutant Vehicle?
A Mutant Vehicle is a unique, motorized creation that shows little or no resemblance to their original
form, or to any standard street vehicle. Mutant Vehicles are radically, stunningly, (usually)
permanently, and safely modified from their base vehicle. Sometimes the whole vehicle is made from
scratch.
Mutant Vehicles may include such non-standard motorized forms such as furniture, other non-street
vehicles such as a boat or train, animals, or just about anything imaginable. For safety reasons, they
must not mimic any type of emergency service or law enforcement vehicle.
Vehicles merely stripped to the frame and engine, and vehicles with minimal changes or temporary
decorations are not considered Mutant Vehicles."

I see too much of the original base vehicle.. theyd need to do some stuff to hide/obscure that..

the thing isnt radically illuminated and probably wouldnt get a night license, sometimes a night license for a not-so-mutated vehicle would be OK as you dont see so much of that vehicle at night.. and only the light show from far away..

as is my opinion is that itd surely need some way to obscure the front cab portion where the doors were to pass muster.. that is, unless they come out with some kick ass light show that impresses everyone.

take a look at some of the vehicles from the Death Guild people.. they have some wicked Mad Max type stuff... theres quite a few mad max type vehicles that come through the DMV each year.. one needs to do a lot of work to make them seem 'mutated' and not just 'modified' ..as seeing the base vehicle, whether stripped or not, is kind of the style of mad max vehicles..
lemur

Postby lemur » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:53 pm

Stickygreen wrote: The DMV really is an opinionated business, one guys acceptable is not the same as the next guys...

dmv is opinionated insofar as they are required to make a ruling..

at least in the recent past, dmv makes decisions on the vehicles invite based on consensus of a group of 5+ who look at the guidelines applicants agreed to when applying to get a license. Often vehicles that the dmv cant reach consensus on in that session are held for review at a later time. As I see it as much is done as possible to be sure the decisions are based on the guidelines applied equally to everyone and clear consensus.. ...... all people denied are allowed to appeal the dmv decision..

see above for what a 'mutant vehicle' is ..and below for other stuff people consider when the dmv review an application

There are five main points the DMV considers when reviewing your vehicle.

1. Level of Mutation
Mutate your vehicle to the point that it is not recognizable as a street vehicle. A radically mutated vehicle will not resemble or represent a car, truck, golf cart or any other readily identifiable street vehicle. Is the vehicle radically mutated or is the exterior a temporary decoration that required little or no actual mutation of the base vehicle?
2. Interactivity
Provide an interactive experience for participants of Black Rock City. Interactivity is defined as an opportunity for any BRC citizen to participate in some activity offered by your vehicle. The theme and/or size of the vehicle is what's considered here. Do you entertain a crowd? Have plenty of room for riders? Provide a service to the community via your vehicle? Include an interactive element?
3. Safety
Depending on the size and style of your vehicle, some or all of the following may apply: The vehicle must be able to maintain a steady speed of five MPH (the speed limit in Black Rock City) or less. Brakes must be in good working order. The vehicle should have sturdy side railings and stair railings. There should be no sharp or protruding objects. A fire extinguisher is highly recommended. Keeping a first aid kit on board is just plain smart. The vehicle should also have a safe access area and procedures for loading and unloading passengers.
4. Lighting
For vehicles seeking a night license, basic requirements must be met: The rear, front AND sides must be lit. All vehicle extremities must be lit. Any trailer hitch or dangerous area of the vehicle must be lit. Anywhere someone would walk, step, or climb on your vehicle should be lit, especially stairs and ladders.
5. Sound
All vehicles licensed for movement at Black Rock City are subject to the same sound guidelines as theme camps.
lemur

Postby mshaman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:01 am

I used to own a trucking company and we had to deal with hauling on and off-highway vehicles and equipment regularly. At a port of entry, the officers usually want to see some evidence that you actually own what you are hauling, or that you have permission to be hauling it for someone else. For heavy equipment, this is an SMM permit (special mobile machinery, includes things like big gasoline powered welders, air compressors, all the way up to bulldozers). It is the off-road equivalent of a license plate.

Because your vehicle is obviously not commercial (no SMM), and won't be registered as an on-highway vehicle (no license plate), it is best to be able to provide some evidence of ownership such as a title (if it was once an automobile and you can still find a VIN# on the fame somewhere, for example) or a bill of sale. You also want a bill of lading if you are hauling it for someone else. You can get a bill of sale and a bill of lading in .pdf in a hundred places on the internet and fill them in. Even a receipt from a junkyard will do. Just show a scrap of paper that shows you bought it. If it's a beaten up golf cart that's worth $50 and has another $50 in paper-mache on it, the are not likely to care or ask for any documentation whatsoever. The concern is that you aren't stealing a $10,000 4x4 ATV and smuggling it across the border to sell it in another country.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Return to 2012 Art & Performance