BASSHENGE Wants You In 2012

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Re: BASSHENGE Wants You In 2012

Postby Savannah » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:31 pm

BASShenge wrote:Ok check this.

When i comes to the VIP status. We all are VIPS. All the Kickstarters that are out never get any of the high baller rewards. They make all there funds off the low dollar items. We are also doing Local fundraisers in full force. We are A small group of people that are working towards making this project happen on a huge scale. Its not a just a sound camp its a art install. Sorry some of you show up in nothing but a Costco shade structure. We encourage all of you to look beyond the haters. Life is good!!!. Look at things from all perspectives. MOST of you are forgetting the principles of Burning Man. Radical Self Inclusion.... HMM. anyways we love you all. and look forward to making this project a reality. Remember haters when there is one of you there is 3 people that love the project. So Happy Holidays

You were doing really well except for that part. You can't hold out your right palm for cash from us plebians while you simultaneously use your left hand to give us the finger for being practical or humble. It makes me more inclined to save my donation budget for "The Pier 2" Kickstarter, and use the rest of my budget to improve my camp (which does not, incidentally, use the [very well-rated] Costco carport). After all, I sleep 6 or 7 hours a day in my own camp, and have breakfast every morning there, whereas I might spend an hour or two in your camp the whole week . . . though I'm sure it will be fun if your camp fulfills the vision you've outlined here.

BASShenge wrote:And i woke up this morning and took it all and remained calm. lol its all good.. taught me something. all of you.

I'm glad you took it all in & remained calm. That's what one should do if honestly asking for both cash and feedback. We see plenty of people who can't actually take any criticism whatsoever, so maintaining a minimum of courtesy in your responses is absurdly refreshing.

Best of luck to you. :D
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:36 pm

yes, me too, i apologize for the rudeness, it's an east coast thing, but BM, and the ten principles, especially LNT and Decommodification mean alot to me, and i get religiously fervent about protecting it.

we do not shit where we eat.

And Burning Man is truly a feast, and i'll fight to keep it that way.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Cheyenne » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Erm.....

We are bringing in the experts. The sound is not going to be shot in a circular fashion. The stones are in a circle not the sound. going to be sweet.

You might want to consult the AHRC funded project called 'Beyond text' that I was a part of which looked at the acoustical analysis of the REAL stonehenge before you start trying to undertake a soundcamp which is fundamentally similar to the dimensions of the monument.

http://www.beyondtext.ac.uk/
http://soundsofstonehenge.wordpress.com/
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/research/stonehenge
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... henge.html
http://www.nomadit.co.uk/tag/tag2010/pa ... anelID=853

Also, your assumption that the original monument sarcen stones were arranged in a circle are wrong - it was in fact a U shape which implicitly changes the way sound waves move through a space. Sort out an archaeological consultant who also understands the acoustical phenomena of the monument itself.

Oh yes, doing any kind of VIP funding bollocks is not very welcome on this board, we all contribute where we can and benchmarking contributions based on gratuities is fundamentally against what the community is for.

Claire Marshall
Acoustic Archaeologist, University of York, UK

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby AntiM » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:06 pm

Wouldn't it be nifty to draw random names of your donors from all levels and reward them with a meal or massage? Just a few, maybe ten or so. I know, can't be part of the kickstarter, but I love the surprise gifting concept.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby illy dilly » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:13 pm

BASShenge wrote:ALL THE HIGH LEVEL REWARDS HAVE BEEN DELETED. I FEEL WHAT YOU GUYS ARE SAYING.

trilobyte wrote:Working with the OP, I've made some edits to the original post. References to the ditch have been removed, and adjustment for size has been made. I'll also say kudos to the Basshenge team for taking the feedback they've gotten on this thread and removing the high end VIP style rewards on their kickstarter program.

Simon of the Playa wrote:thank you.

good luck on your project, i honestly hope you can pull it off. It is not hate that i bitch at you with, it is love.

i love EDM and big sound and i do not want the seedy side of the biz to infiltrate Burning Man, at least publicly.

it is a place where we "don't do that".....for one week a year, we are all VIP's and it doesnt take money to be one.

and what trilo said, feedback only works if you listen...thank you for listening to Mr. Grumpy, i do mean well, and have your interests at heart even if you do not think so at this moment.

I'd have to say this has been one of the quickest, nicest, and easiest resolutions to a disagreement I have seen on eplaya!!!
Congrats everyone involved!

Basshenge, thank you very much for re-working the kickstarter page and eliminating the sarcasm.

As for me... I'm going to keep flinging poo!!!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Illy, nice try to recover, however as a snowboarder i am well aware of the neat trick of taking a fall and by somehow landing on my board again, make it appear to be a planned trick.

this was not subtle sly humor, this was plain bonehead.

you may call it "sarcasm", however most people would call it "what the fuck were you thinking, dude"

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby BASShenge » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:35 pm

I now understand how easy things can be taken the wrong way. kinda got put on blast this morning. Life is good. Thanks for you support
BASShenge

Postby BASShenge » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:39 pm

AntiM wrote:Wouldn't it be nifty to draw random names of your donors from all levels and reward them with a meal or massage? Just a few, maybe ten or so. I know, can't be part of the kickstarter, but I love the surprise gifting concept.

we have mass plans for gifting. everyone.. our intents were in the right place. Burning Man is a very sacred thing and we are a family. things got started on the wrong foot. but we are still sticking in there to make sure things start heading towards the right.
BASShenge

Postby BASShenge » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Cheyenne wrote:Erm.....

We are bringing in the experts. The sound is not going to be shot in a circular fashion. The stones are in a circle not the sound. going to be sweet.

You might want to consult the AHRC funded project called 'Beyond text' that I was a part of which looked at the acoustical analysis of the REAL stonehenge before you start trying to undertake a soundcamp which is fundamentally similar to the dimensions of the monument.

http://www.beyondtext.ac.uk/
http://soundsofstonehenge.wordpress.com/
http://www.shef.ac.uk/archaeology/research/stonehenge
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... henge.html
http://www.nomadit.co.uk/tag/tag2010/pa ... anelID=853

Also, your assumption that the original monument sarcen stones were arranged in a circle are wrong - it was in fact a U shape which implicitly changes the way sound waves move through a space. Sort out an archaeological consultant who also understands the acoustical phenomena of the monument itself.

Oh yes, doing any kind of VIP funding bollocks is not very welcome on this board, we all contribute where we can and benchmarking contributions based on gratuities is fundamentally against what the community is for.

Claire Marshall
Acoustic Archaeologist, University of York, UK

we would like to work with you on making our project as authentic as possible
BASShenge

Postby Savannah » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:Illy, nice try to recover, however as a snowboarder i am well aware of the neat trick of taking a fall and by somehow landing on my board again, make it appear to be a planned trick.

you may call it "sarcasm", however most people would call it "what the fuck were you thinking, dude"

Maybe most of us are at our lowest in vitamin D right now, and are therefore sensitive or crotchety. (Actually, considering a lot of us went to the desert and stocked up on D, the peak of deficiency might be still to come, slightly beyond the darkest days of the year.)

"Blue Monday"--a recently invented, totally arguable, tongue-in-cheek term for the most depressing day of the year*--is supposed to be Monday, January 16, 2012, although those are (literally) UK calculations. In the US, many folks have January 16th off work for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day, so that makes January 16th possibly too nice to be depressing. So I intend to celebrate Blue Monday on the 23rd. :lol:

* "weather conditions, debt level (the difference between debt accumulated and our ability to pay), time since Christmas, time since failing our new year’s resolutions, low motivational levels and feeling of a need to take action. "etc.

http://www.bluemonday.org/index.php/2012-2/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Monday_(date)
Savannah

Postby Cheyenne » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:46 pm

Get yourself a read of those links and then you can send me a PM on how you wish to proceed technically...

I'd be happy to help

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:49 pm

please savannah, do not insult my intelligence by sluffing this off as LSD...(lack of sunshine disease)

it was a legitimate, Important complaint that was addressed.

i may be cranky, but in this case i am right. do not denigrate the messenger.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby illy dilly » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:51 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:Illy, nice try to recover, however as a snowboarder i am well aware of the neat trick of taking a fall and by somehow landing on my board again, make it appear to be a planned trick.

Which part did you think was sarcasm?
I am genuinely sincere when I say "I'd have to say this has been one of the quickest, nicest, and easiest resolutions to a disagreement I have seen on eplaya!!!"
I have seen some arguments and disagreements go on for pages and pages or weeks and weeks, to the point that they get plain down right malicious.

For something as serious as 'selling VIP at Burning Man' to be accused, and the accused not getting overly defensive but changing their tone and wording, and resolving the whole issue this quickly is out of the ordinary.

The bit about flinging poo... yeah that was pretty much the usual useless dribble that accompanies my posts.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:53 pm

And if you read through all the 'schwag you get' you can tell that the group is pretty much playing around and telling jocks. I bet there are very few if any 1k to 3k donations, the authors know this, so they're just fucking around. The selling VIP tactic is bull shit and not at all Burning Man, but when its understood that its just a fucking joke, its just that A JOKE.

Basshenge, thank you very much for re-working the kickstarter page and eliminating the sarcasm.

you make it appear as if they were making a joke that was misunderstood. i am most certain this is not the case....so to refer to their VIP bonus program as sarcasm is less than disingenuous..

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Savannah » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:01 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:please savannah, do not insult my intelligence by sluffing this off as LSD...(lack of sunshine disease)

it was a legitimate, Important complaint that was addressed.

i may be cranky, but in this case i am right. do not denigrate the messenger.

Insult your intelligence? You were the one who called yourself a bonehead. I was talking about the touchiness of everyone on the board including myself, actually--perhaps not obviously enough.

I wasn't attempting to denigrate you, or the (particularly) the validity of your complaint whatsoever. I agreed with you. Sorry. :)
Savannah

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Illy, nice try to recover, however as a snowboarder i am well aware of the neat trick of taking a fall and by somehow landing on my board again, make it appear to be a planned trick.

at what point do i call myself bonehead?

i referred to their copy as bonehead, because it was...it was not an attempt at humor, it was boneheaded, juvenile commerce blather and not to be passed off as a misunderstanding over what is funny and what is not.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby illy dilly » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:06 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:

you make it appear as if they were making a joke that was misunderstood. i am most certain this is not the case....so to refer to their VIP bonus program as sarcasm is less than disingenuous..

Ooooo!

You don't figure they knew no one would give them 5grand, so they just said "fuck, lets screw around"?

Based off Bass saying
All the Kickstarters that are out never get any of the high baller rewards. They make all there funds off the low dollar items

Because our hearts are in it. yeah the vip shit BLAH. i cant afford any of that. but hell if some one wants to help fund on a grand scale like that we are going to take care of our investors.

I figured they were admitting "no one is gonna give us 1k bucks anyway, so we might as well promise the world.

But to each their own, and at this point, fuck it! Its been cleaned up and fixed.
I just thought you meant I was being sarcastic, but now I see what you mean.
illy dilly

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:12 pm

i will make this type of behavior and marketing for the large sound camps akin to stepping in dog shit and walking across your grandmother's new shag rug.

it's not gonna bode well on them if they decide to utilize kickstarter to fund their glitter party, and offer elitist benefits to those that do in spades.

do we really want people who are enticed by the pampering and outrageous preferential treatment that a couple a thousand bucks will get them?

pandering to the worst and lowest common denominator.

do you really want to turn this into the shit show that is Ultra?

please, if thats how things are then have them stay in reno and stick to the cheap tables and the even cheaper whores.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Risky » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:15 pm

I just read this thread and have to say that I am disappointed that BassHenge yielded.
That is the great thing about kickstarter - if the populace doesn't like it, it won't get funded.

Some may believe the awards were going too far and that is their opinion - one doesn't have to support the project.
Regardless of whether I support their awards, or their project, there may be untold numbers that do.
It's early in the funding season; if it didn't work, they have time to try a different campaign.
I just know that things I have doubted have often surprised the fuck out if me in the end.

What I find to be truly amazing is that kickstarter has only been around for less than 3yrs and has made such an impact on our Community.
Risky

Postby BASShenge » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:01 pm

We are still working towards making everything possible. We changed somethings around because of feedback and cause personally it sounded like crap. have alot people working on this and sometimes wording needs to be changed. so it is corrected. IM STILL SASSY. we are all SASSY. and thats what makes us fun. so keep up the good fight.
BASShenge

Postby AntiM » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 pm

I wish I had money, I'd bribe y'all to play Inna Gadda Da Vida and some Sabbath.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:44 pm

i agree risky, let the public decide, and trust me, they will.

i believe this is a good intentioned camp, however one must remember what the road to helco is paved with.

i also believe that if you're going to put it out there, you better be ready to accept and defend your position.

there will always be people who are naysayers just for the sake of naysaying. I am not one of them.

However, i calls them as i sees them, and what i saw stunk, and i said so.

i am glad they have taken this to heart and are staying sassy, i like that, and can appreciate the openness and willingness to adapt and change.

what i dont like is kickstarter being used to fund "ART" that is not really "ART" no matter how broad you stretch that definition...

its like hitler asking for money to invade poland because he's going to redecorate and he needs the cash for drapes.

i knew i could get in a hitler reference before the fourth page

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby ygmir » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:07 pm

"Godwin, paging mr. Godwin".....................

I agree with Simon. Not that my opinion matters, but, well, I think he's on the right track, about funding a "party" and calling it art.
And, I agree that the connotations, of "pay to play" and buying a "sky box", seems yukky.

Ultimately, they'll do exactly as they please, and it'll either work, or not.
and some will cheer, some will cry.

it's all dust, in the end.............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Elorrum » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:30 pm

I wonder if I gave to kickstarter for one of these party venues, or an art car, would I be able to bring some of their equipment home with me? I'd promise to bring it back next year.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Ultimately, they'll do exactly as they please, and it'll either work, or not.

Yggy, in all seriousness, i hope this is not true...i may seem like a misanthrope at times, but my faith that people can and do change or EVOLVE as the case may be, is what stops me from dismissing human existence as a big fucking waste of time.

sure, people are going to do what they are going to do....doesnt mean i am going to idly sit by and let them.

i may be throwing mustard seeds onto radioactive soil here hoping it will flower, but i'm trying to see if maybe just maybe something will grow there. Nothing would please me more than the "Large Sound Community" to come together and begin to police our own, and make sure that Big Sound Camps are good Neighbors, and Burners. This means a STRICT POLICY OF LEAVE NO FUCKING TRACE and NO GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING COMMERCE ON THE PLAYA and this includes eplaya.

i consider the kickstarter route for large sound camps, especially as first promoted, to be downright offensive and in the long run, detrimental to our continued presence on the playa, as it is not the same as an art installation although it may be more involved, more difficult and more costly to do so....i know, it's a conundrum, but the coachellization of burning man should not accepted or condoned.

i also think its important that we are vigilant and adhere to certain ideals or all is lost.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby jkisha » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:46 pm

Another happy ending and kumbaya moment on eplaya.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:08 pm

How does the Large Sound Community get along with one another? Do you even know one another? Is it time you started a meet'n'greet so that a community "feel" can be developed?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:08 pm

we've all shared spit, it's cool.

thats not really a bad idea fishy, i think i am going to nominate kate therockstar librarian as Queen of the Sound Camps, with authority over all subwoofers and tweeters.

they might actually listen to her, and maybe we can present a cohesive front to our guests as far as Mooping and other issues are concerned.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby BASShenge » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:13 pm

I would like to take a second to thanks everyone for there love, harassment, heartfelt moments. We Love you all and Wish you a Prosperous New Year
BASShenge

Postby duffdog » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:37 am

Hey Basshenge...

I sincerely hope you reconsider playing any dubstep on a 100kw system.

I could make a snarky comment about the sound system in your picture, but I won't. I already know what it sounds like ;)
Purveyor of Fine 'Soul Crushing Bass'
duffdog

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Theme Camps