Occupy BRC

Fertility 2.0 - Black Rock City is a kind of Petri dish. Theme camps cling in fertile clusters to its latticework of streets, artworks tumble out of it, like pollen on the air. These nodes of interaction mutate, grow and reproduce their kind. Burning Man communities have now escaped this capsule world: our culture in a Petri dish has effloresced - it spreads across five continents. This year's art theme contemplates the tendency of any being or living system to create abundant life.

Occupy BRC

Postby ozyburningmandias » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:11 pm

ozybm.jpg
ozyburningmandias
ozybm.jpg (76.9 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
ozybm.jpg
ozyburningmandias
ozybm.jpg (76.9 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
Calling all serious artists, legitimate or illegitimate (you 99%ers):

I have been delaying putting together my art proposal to send to Burning Man management (you 1%ers) waiting for a theme announcement as this may have a direct bearing on the conception of my work. You 1%ers should be aware that a serious artist needs plenty of advance notice to aid in making a meaningful statement.

Are there any other artists out there feeling frustrated and wondering whether the hubris typical of the global economy's 1% has filtered all the way down to BRC ?
ozyburningmandias

Re: Occupy BRC

Postby trilobyte » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:50 pm

I completely disagree. I think an artist, "serious" or otherwise, is quite capable of determining the statement they want to make, and aren't dependent upon an official theme announcement to do so. The majority of burns have either had no theme announcement or the announcement made later in the cycle, by all accounts they were pretty amazing events with mind-blowing art that made all kinds of statements.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:28 pm

I'd guess that many artists are quite happy to follow their own vision without having their brains cluttered up by Larry's prosedy on the official theme.
(Simon's themes are better, anyway.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby unjonharley » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:40 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'd guess that many artists are quite happy to follow their own vision without having their brains cluttered up by Larry's prosedy on the official theme.
(Simon's themes are better, anyway.)

I still like to fuck with Larry's themes..
For his Beyond Belief.. I made an electric chair and named it The Passage Beyond. (lower case) Have a seat.. Have a tongue in cheek for this year's already.
unjonharley

Postby DeusRegit » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:49 pm

With all due respect to an artist's originality and spontenaity aside, (and acknowleging that waiting for a theme doesn't always please the Frederico Felini within us), one fascination that brings this burner back to BRC is to marvel in the hundreds of ways artists interpret the theme and even better, the bazillion different ways burners on ePlaya mock, trash or approve of the final chosen theme, (we've all done it.)
The center of the playa is theme territory and beyond the F street radius is the anti-establishment rebel work - you know, the stuff we really push the edge of the envelope to get out and see at 8:30 the next morning when we are so hung over we don't care where we are.
I appreciated the art folks giving me some prime realestate for my artwork in 2009 simply because I did it in the theme. And although I know I needed as much advance notice of what the theme was going to be to get the artwork ready, the folks out past F street needed just as much time to get there's ready, too.
I'm getting impatient of waiting for the theme this year but it's not because I am creating any artwork. It's because Burning Man is cool and imagining what the playa will look like this year keeps me alive. I just can't get enough of it.
So shoot me.

Sandman
www.burningmanzeroseven.com
I'm not burnt, just lightly toasted.
DeusRegit

Burning Since: 2007

Postby ozyburningmandias » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Looks like you b pay'n your dues, Deus. (And ain't no toady.) You betcha, one may react in a bazillion ways! But wit no theme there taint nuttin' 2 react 2. Ideally, my work b inside, on and outside F with and/or without theme-related art. 4 ex, I wore only red, white, or blue uni's the year of Merck'n Dream when clothed. I guess Toady peeps b too interested in toadify'n 2 participate in community artistic expression.

C U bout 5:15 & F 4 Irish car-, F- and art-bombs.

ozy
ozyburningmandias

Postby Nipple » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:30 pm

What happened between your first and second post?
Nipple

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:36 pm

Nipple wrote:What happened between your first and second post?

I think he got his broca knocked about...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ozyburningmandias » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:32 pm

I think he got his broca knocked about...[/quote]

Speaking of der broca being knocked about, here's a shot of my Right Brain of Passage in the little bit of wind that occurred at the last burn.

(For you toadies out there, this is could be interpreted as a connection between theme and art work.)
Attachments
smbraininwind.jpg
smbraininwind.jpg (151.67 KiB) Viewed 2421 times
ozyburningmandias

Return to 2012 Theme