Kitchen Basics

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Kitchen Basics

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:19 am

(Inspired by jcliff's rv kit thread)
I got to wondering what a good beginner's kitchen might be. Keeping in mind of course, that on playa food runs a gamut from power bars to serious gourmet, and there will be differences of opinion.
Equipment of course. If you want to talk food and spices, that's okay.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Kitchen Basics

Postby TT120 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:32 am

For my first time, I'm going to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). I'm just bringing my 2 burner Coleman camp stove and a couple skillets and pots. Lots of Mountain House freeze dried food. I'm going to bring a solar oven and try to make some , um, special brownies but I'm not sure how well that will work....lol
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:38 am

I think a solar oven takes a while and you have to babysit.
If the specialness is apparent in the aroma, you might want to rethink.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby TT120 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:45 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I think a solar oven takes a while and you have to babysit.
If the specialness is apparent in the aroma, you might want to rethink.

I won't mind babysitting the oven, I plan on a couple days just hanging around my camp and relaxing/recovering anyway so that might be good.

Good point on the aroma, I didn't consider that. Will have to re-think that.

W6BJD
TT120

Postby lemur » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:26 am

no matter the size of your kitchen you should probably have these in..mostly this order..

you need a:
#1 way to wash hands
#2 way to wash/sanitize cooking tools/surfaces and eating utensils
#3 plan for dealing with waste water and food
#4 way to store food safely
#5 way to cook food

stuff:
lots of can openers (have a backup if you plan to use cans)

nitrile gloves for real messy stuff

strainer to keep the chunks from clogging up your gray water stuff (pour chunky stuff in to it)

mesh bag for drying out food waste and chef boyardee cans so it dont stink up yer garbage on the way home

another can opener

lots of spoons and plastic plates and forks and stuff (the more the better.. so you can slack and not wash dishes one night and still have clean stuff for breakfast)

big bowls with handles on it works, you never know where youll end up.. sturdy stuff.. stuff you can carry with you without feeling like a fool. and lids.. those are good.

lots of ziplock bags.

some empty plastic grocery bags, like 5 or 7 (youll know when its time to use them)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby unjonharley » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:29 am

Been doing some cooking with the camp pots.. Testing new and faster foods.
At the same time trying to stay away from cooler use.. Staying away from meat or frying works for that.. Along with less clean up..

So far for breakfast.. Using a two cup container.. Pour a little "cold" water, enough to mix two table spoon of dry soymilk. The 1/3 cup of 7 (ground) grains.. ( bulk food secction) Two table spoons of nuts&seeds.. Grind flax, sunflower and 2-3 type nuts in a coffee grinder. (heavy on the flaxseed).. Add 1/4 cup raisins.. Add 1/4 T spoon Stevia.. Bring water to a rolling boil and cover mix with hot! water.. Wipe with a fork to mud.. Add HOT! water to 1/2 inch of top of container.. Seal lid on. Set aside until water is assumed into the grains.. Reheat and add a fruit cup..Fruit cup are sealed and don't need coolered.(my word)
It's some thing like bread pudding.. It's a lot of what you need daily..

I like to make this breakfast up the night before.. To reheat I have a stainless steel, dubble boiler/steamer.. A inch of water will heat a container (in the upper colander) in about three min. It will also reheat vacuum sealed food bags nicely.. Bout as fast as a micro wave.. Also you can reheat food camp pots this way.. Working on some of that, will let you know later
unjonharley

Postby voiceinthedarkness » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:10 pm

I would suggest compostable utensils as opposed to plastic for tableware. First, they compost. Second, if they are inadvertently tossed in a fire they won't release toxic fumes. Shouldn't, anyway.

There's also a vendor near and dear to ePlaya's group.
voiceinthedarkness

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:17 pm

I can't believe I didn't bring a table!!!
Yes, and a reasonable handwashing station.
And a light, hard to cook in the dark.

Yes, paper plates and cups, for sure. And a burn barrel of course.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby unjonharley » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:I can't believe I didn't bring a table!!!
Yes, and a reasonable handwashing station.
And a light, hard to cook in the dark.

Yes, paper plates and cups, for sure. And a burn barrel of course.

I found a table that rolls up to a package 24x6dia.. Makes a 24x24 table top.. Have had it for a long time so don't remember where it come from..

Need a better hand wash station.. Will work on that.

As for a work around the camp light.. The LED that attach to a cap (battery included) bill work very well.. The light is always out in front of you and no in your eyes.. The little batteries cost more than the whole light.. The battery should last all week.. But just in case your like me and leave the thing turned
on..

As a single camped and to leave a smaller foot print.. I use reusable where ever I can.. Have to wash pots and pans anyway.
unjonharley

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:52 pm

One approach is the list approach. Make a list of specific dishes broken down by day and meal. Then make a list of kitchen items, pots, heating units, utensils, etc. to make each dish, removing dishes, or precooking to reduce the kitchen needs.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby JayBobBoy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:54 pm

I really think that the most basic ingredient for a good kitchen on the playa is location, location, location. A well placed kitchen can make your week much more pleasant around camp.

Plan your campsite carefully from the beginning and set up a reasonably windproof area for cooking and eating, etc. Bring a folding table and your Coleman stove and lantern and you're good to go.

I really enjoy good carbo loading on the playa. Barilla makes a shelf stable (doesn't need to be refrigerated) cheese tortellini that really tastes great with some fresh pesto or homemade tomato sauces and sausages. Add in a salad or steamed veggies and the whole thing takes under 15 minutes to prepare.

It really is that simple. Cook the food you like, and maybe try something new!

Oh...Bring a can opener!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby maryanimal » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:01 pm

TT120 wrote:For my first time, I'm going to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). I'm just bringing my 2 burner Coleman camp stove and a couple skillets and pots. Lots of Mountain House freeze dried food. I'm going to bring a solar oven and try to make some , um, special brownies but I'm not sure how well that will work....lol

You can use a coleman oven that you use with your 2 burner stove. I have one but never used it. I got it off of CL for $20.** I bought a Camp Chef stove/oven and I'll be bringing that plus my 2 burner stove*. I need to work on my sanitation system better. I think I did ok for a birgin this year.

**I'll be more than happy to bring it with me for you to use!!

*I wonder it that means that two burners can use it at the same time, you know, like a 3-dog night...*
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby TT120 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:18 pm

I'm still working on how to wash the dishes and what to do with the gray water. Luckily, I only live a few hours from the Playa and can go out there to camp and test stuff pretty much any weekend. I'm thinking I can use ice melt water from my cooler to wash pots and pans and just dump it into the little kiddie pool to evaporate. A couple big basins and I should be good. Extra towels too.....

Only going to bring just the basic stuff for my Birgin year.

W6BJD
TT120

Postby unjonharley » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:30 pm

TT120 wrote:I'm still working on how to wash the dishes and what to do with the gray water. Luckily, I only live a few hours from the Playa and can go out there to camp and test stuff pretty much any weekend. I'm thinking I can use ice melt water from my cooler to wash pots and pans and just dump it into the little kiddie pool to evaporate. A couple big basins and I should be good. Extra towels too.....

My friend saves cat litter jugs for me to carry kitchen-food water off playa
It only took one and a half last time..
unjonharley

Postby Savannah » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:32 pm

TT120 wrote:I'm still working on how to wash the dishes and what to do with the gray water. Luckily, I only live a few hours from the Playa and can go out there to camp and test stuff pretty much any weekend. I'm thinking I can use ice melt water from my cooler to wash pots and pans and just dump it into the little kiddie pool to evaporate. A couple big basins and I should be good. Extra towels too.....

6mm black plastic & lumber makes a good evap pond for a small number of people (I used this in a camp of two, for small showers every other day).
http://www.burningman.com/environment/r ... water.html

Bring a broom to help spread the water out.

Kiddie pools are good for catching water, but do not foster evaporation without additional technology.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Is lining a kiddie pool with black plastic effective, or is it a matter of depth, not heat transfer...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:02 pm

Is lining a kiddie pool with black plastic effective, or is it a matter of depth, not heat transfer...

The main site's evap pond recipe is effective because it's 10 feet by 10 feet, dark and very shallow.

My favorite Burn with that evap pond involved a PVC shower structure, a wooden pallet that fit inside the PVC, and both of those items on top of the black plastic. No kiddie pool at all. Dishwater could have been poured onto the plastic as well, but we were more interested in showering than dishwashing.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:25 pm

That's what I thought, but it seemed worth asking.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:45 pm

My kitchen:

Can opener
Spoon
Pot for boiling water if I want to get fancy and make something dehydrated
Sledge hammer for smashing empty cans flat

I really hate doing dishes camping, and especially at burning man where you can't just toss greywater, so I avoid it. I eat everything out of cans or other disposable packages and smash them flat after I'm done. Put empty cans in a trash bag so they dry out over the course of the week, then toss them in an empty 5 gallon bucket for the ride home.

Tortillas make handy edible plates too BTW. :D
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby illy dilly » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:35 pm

unjonharley wrote:My friend saves cat litter jugs for me to carry kitchen-food water off playa
It only took one and a half last time..

I think you said this at some point last summer, so I started saving all my cat litter jugs too. It worked very well for that last bit of water in the evap pond on pack out day.

TT120 wrote:For my first time, I'm going to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). I'm just bringing my 2 burner Coleman camp stove and a couple skillets and pots. Lots of Mountain House freeze dried food.

TT120, this is a great way to go! Especially for your first year out there. I'd never tried the Mountain Houses tell our first year, when one of our camp mates brought some. I'd be lying if I said I didn't love them!
Though, I would recommend looking at the nutrition facts on those Mountain Houses. Some of them tend to lack a lot of vitamins and minerals. So since I've figured that out, I like to supplement my Mountain House with a Cliff Bar. I really like the oatmeal raisin and white chocolate with macadamia nut. Cliff bars have a lot of calories and vitamins.
But some weekend, try eating just this stuff for two days and see what it does to your stomach. My girlfriend digestive track is not a big fan of this diet for very long.
Something else I really like to have with a Mountain House is a V8 Bloody Mary. I use V8 vege juice because of all the vitamins. Its kinda funny, when I'm camping I love V8! But in default, I gag just thinking about it.

As for essential kitchen equipment:
-We found that STURDY paper plates/bowls are the way to go. Save one of your beer boxes and make it your "burn box" throw your old paper plates and bowls in the burn box. And burn at one of the public burn pyres.

-Forks/spoons/knives, each individual is responsible for bringing their own fork, knife, spoon. They are also responsible for keeping track of it and cleaning it. If each person is responsible for they're own stuff, they tend to take better care of it. (also, most people in camp don't mind cleaning their own utensils with their mouth, then wiping down with a wet paper towel, creating almost no gray water)

-For Boiling Water, a tea kettle. They are perfect! Most have some sort of measuring lines on the inside. They have a lid so dust doesn't get in while you boil. And they can be set directly on almost any heat source. Also, if you don't use all the boiling water right away, leave it in the kettle since the lid will keep the dust out.

-Paper towels for cleaning pots and pans. Clean a pan as soon as it cools down, but don't let it sit for ever, the longer the pans/pots sit the more 'cacked on' what ever it was becomes. Splash a little bit of water and soap in the pot/pan, then clean with a paper towel, then empty into gray water. Second, splash some a little more water in, and try to wipe out all the soap. Lastly, get a paper towel really wet, and rinse pot/pan again.

-For a small camp of 1-4 people, 1 pot and 1 pan. Its pretty important to have a lid for both or 1 lid that fits both. Nothing sucks more than trying to cook during a dust storm and ending up with really dusty food. I've also found that during a dust storm is a great time to sit back, cook a *real* meal, then hang out and relax.

-If you are bringing food that needs to be kept cold, have 2 coolers. 1 for drinks, and 1 for food.

-In our camp almost everyone starts the day off with Mimosas, Screw Drivers, or V8 Bloody Marys. Juice + booze offers lots of calories and carbs to help get your motor going.

At last years burn, we had a pretty big camp, so I brought a coffee maker, but it seemed that no one wanted coffee at the same time. We ended up wasting a lot of coffee. Then I saw a lady I work with using one of these "pour over coffee makers". Its really cool cause it just sits on top of mug, then you put a filer in the cone, add some coffee depending on the size of the mug, and then pour really hot water threw it (tea kettle saves the day again).
This isn't something I have yet, but will be adding to my camping gear. Not just my Bman camping gear.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned yet is a fire extinguisher. Always have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby jkisha » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Wash station: Three plastic spray bottles. Plastic tarp on the ground in kitchen area.

One bottle for soap and water, one for rinse water and one for diluted bleach solution.

1. Dry wipe dishes over the trash bag and spray with soapy water and wash with paper towel.
2. Spray with rinse water and wipe with clean paper towel.
3. Spray with bleach solution to sanitize and let air dry or you can wipe them dry with a clean paper towel.

Hardly a drop of water need hit the playa, and what falls on the tarp evaporates quickly. And you'll never have to take an emergency, oh god I hope I can make it, run to the jots.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby unjonharley » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:06 pm

bleach and I do not get along well.. I use compostable wipes.. Then a scalding to kill any bad stuff..

Come up with idea of using Wag-Bag for kitchen-food water.. I use then in the camp Lug a Lu along with cedar chips.. That way all the liquid is soaked up and wont be spilling on the way home..
unjonharley

Postby jkisha » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:30 pm

You can substitute bleach for sanitabs. But you only use about a tablespoon of bleach per gallon of water, so it's strong enough to disinfect, but usually not strong enough to irritate. YMMV.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby danibel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:21 pm

I camp with about 20 other people so we generally end up with extras of all supplies. We each sign up for a dinner and in addition to some basics I bring whatever I will need to complete my dinner (2011 was spagetti and salad).

My basics:

A card table (I bring two, one goes into the camp kitchen, the other I set up near my van to hold my personal camp stove and a lamp)
Two burner camp stove
A kettle that whistles (must have)
Cast iron skillet
Big ass pot to cook noodles or other large soupy type foods (also doubles to boil large amounts of water for dish washing).
Regular sized "sauce" pan for smaller meals, one can of hot food, ect.
A "sink." Plastic sink from rubbermaid.
Compost bucket (5 gallon with tight fitting lid) - only for wet food. No coffee grounds or paper as it would fill too quickly.
Size 4 coffee drip - plastic.
Bowls, plates, cups, silverware, spatula, CAN OPENER, Big Spoon, Extra empty tupperware to put leftovers in for the cooler.
Salad bowl.
About a gazillion ziplocks (all sizes from snack to gallon).
Cutting board (though this doesn't get much use because I clean and cut almost everything before I leave). This usually ends up at the bar for slicing limes or lemons.

I try to bring at least 5 water gallons in single gallon containers with screw top lids in case I have to bring home grey water, so far this has worked out OK as we set up a grey water station to evap most of the dish water. More people are bringing paper but we still end up washing a lot of dishes from breakfast and dinner.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby illy dilly » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:50 am

jkisha wrote:Wash station: Three plastic spray bottles. Plastic tarp on the ground in kitchen area.

One bottle for soap and water, one for rinse water and one for diluted bleach solution.

1. Dry wipe dishes over the trash bag and spray with soapy water and wash with paper towel.
2. Spray with rinse water and wipe with clean paper towel.
3. Spray with bleach solution to sanitize and let air dry or you can wipe them dry with a clean paper towel.

Hardly a drop of water need hit the playa, and what falls on the tarp evaporates quickly. And you'll never have to take an emergency, oh god I hope I can make it, run to the jots.

BRILLIANT :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

danibel wrote:I camp with about 20 other people so we generally end up with extras of all supplies. We each sign up for a dinner and in addition to some basics I bring whatever I will need to complete my dinner (2011 was spagetti and salad).

This is such an amazing and easy plan to execute!!!!
This last year that we had a larger camp (about 15) we did the same thing. Though only the 9 of the original camp were in on the 'meal plan'. We did it in pairs of cooks. We tried to pair up one experienced camping cook, with one less experienced camping cook. Folks that have never cooked camping do not realize how easy it is to cook big meals at home, and especially how to do dishes with out using gallons of water.

A couple of people had to cook twice, specifically my sister. But since she showed up on Wednesday and camp was already put together, and had to leave before break down, it was sorta her 'contribution' to cook or help folks cook. In default, she rarely cooks a meal for her self, as she lives alone- on playa, she cooks almost twice a day. Kinda funny.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby illy dilly » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:22 am

WOW!
I really killed this thread!
I sorta feel bad, this was a good topic that I thought would go on forever, and yet... I managed to put an end to it!

Maybe I need to add this little image in my Sig Line
illy dilly

Postby CornMan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Bring some of these:

and/or some of these:

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby JStep » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Our kitchen:

1 folding plastic table
1 coleman white gas camp stove
reusable plastic utensils and trays
pots/pans
3 x 5 gallon buckets for gray water (only filled one with 4 - 5 people using it)
clorox wipes for washing dishes, wiping the table, etc
garden sprayer for rinsing dishes, table, etc
paper towels
large orange igloo coolers

We didn't keep it set up. It got cleaned up and put away if we weren't cooking. The igloo coolers stayed filled with water and/or gatorade and kept in the shade and a block of ice a day added.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Ratty » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:34 pm

I set 2 cans of soup on the roof of my van every morning. They always got eaten before they cooled off. Call me crazy but I love top ramen. I love noodles of any kind. Just add your soup of choice to fresh cooked spaghetti noodles. I eat it at home too. The BIG jar of pickles was great. My bread experience was a total bust. It dried out before I could spread the pb on it. Next year it'll be crackers instead. Frosted mini wheats are a treat and a breakfast. Popcorn every night please. Hey, I may not eat healty but I'm not suffering and longing for a home-cooked meal.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Elorrum » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:20 pm

Many interesting things here, many useful tips.
I won't be bringing nitrile gloves to deal with any kitchen activities. Does that have to do with more deeply rooted concerns?

I love love love camp kitchen gear. I love to research, shop, and accumulate.
but, small, simple, and easy is the way I go. You can wash your dishes in a small amount of hot soapy (I like rei camp soap, haven't used up a 3 oz bottle yet) water in your main pot. I cut a scrubby sponge in half. rinse with a garden sprayer. I pour the small amount of gray water into a container, filtering it through a funnel and some polyester floss (aquarium filter floss.) The floss I toss (and it is boss!) in the trash and it dries up well. two bowls, two cups, couple of spoons forks, knives. two pots 1.5 and 2.0 liter ( I have a little bamboo thing I really like as a multipurpose camp cooking tool, spatula, spreader, scraper for washing up.
I bring a flexible cutting board, and a couple of plastic plates for prep and serving if there's a potluck or company.
I splurged last year to add teflon coating to my cook kit, and MSR was closing out this long time line of pots, blacklite. I use a small butane canister stove.
I could halve this and still have enough... I'd love to have less to deal with.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Next

Return to Food & Drink