Give Hushville More Space

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Re: Give Hushville More Space

Postby VultureChow » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:45 am

AntiM wrote:
VultureChow wrote:
some seeing eye wrote:Hushville could:
Become the older peeps disabled camp, needing to be close in to Mobility Camp
Mount major open playa highly interactive installations
Host lectures on a theme like Entheon
Sell itself as a sound buffer to adjacent camps and be placed at F.

Personally, I think BM should create a non-amplified sound placed camp zone which would satisfy the last. And it's hard to argue that Hushville, as is, needs prime placement inner and central. But hey, it's your camp!

A virgin camp btw is a bad idea. Negative placement points.

I think a Burning Boot Camp, or Burning University would be a good concept for virgins. Say a dozen or so vets taking on two or three dozen virgins to teach them the ropes. It would definitely go towards addressing the issue that some seem to have with a changing or deteriorating culture at BM. I know lots of camps take on a few birgins, but going with the theme, you could have public classes on lnt, evap ponds, etc.

This virgin mentoring and instruction is one of the HV goals we discussed on the playa. Tours of our non-combustion camps would be offered, just as AEZ does instruction of alternative energy.

Hushville is already placed back along D to F, splitting a village block with another village of the same size... but Husville always has at least twice as many individual camps, we're always elbows to assholes in there. Not like we're getting any better placement than any other village. The three street sides are always open camping. We don't shush people, but we do try to negotiate, just as the Survival Guide suggests neighbors do ... hey, can you turn the speakers inward to your camp? Nothing more or less than other participants do.

We have at least one member camp which does do large interactive open playa art. Our town round hosts parties Such as the Librarian Cocktails, and the Silent Rave.

We're trying to do more, but there are so many assumptions out there.

Good to know. I'm very interested in checking out AEZ.

I wasn't trying to suggest you don't do enough.

I'm still debating between camping by myself and trying to find a camp to join. I'll be attending solo, so I think I'd feel a little more comfortable being in a camp. Not from a safety stand point, I camp solo all the time, but from a social standpoint. I tend to be shy and have a difficult time making the first step. I feel like I would enjoy myself more if there is a group of people who I have to interact with by default. I know I'm not guaranteed to get along with everyone, I just think I'd find it easier to reach out if I have a reason to.

Anyhoo, I'll definitely keep an eye on what's going on in Hushville. You all sound cool.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby ConnieH » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:27 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:
ConnieH wrote:I think I understand what Lemur is trying to point out - regardless of the "theme" of the camp, some smaller camps bring in more participants than Hushville. We did it with a megaphone and a sales pitch - there was a sea of bikes at our camp nearly every day, the bar was packed, people were bowling and riding the Bull - hundreds if not thousands over the course of the week. It's wasn't just because we were a bar, lots of people didn't come in for a drink, they came in to socialize. We drew them in, invited them in, heckled them in sometimes - and made them feel welcome and at home. Many came back every day, their new favorite place to hang out. I never felt this at Hushville, even though I had made friends with several Hushers, I never felt invited into their camps - maybe some of that was my own shyness, but others felt it too.

I don't think megaphones, packed bars, and bowling alleys would go over too well in a place called HUSHville. ;)

Well, sure, maybe not the megaphone, but a person standing in the street coaxing passersby into the bar? That would be well within the "rules" of Hushville. Heck, you could hardly even hear our battery powered stereo from outside the bar, so even that was within the rules if we'd turned it town a notch. People did get a little noisy whooping and hollaring, maybe that's against the rules, I don't know, but certainly they don't expect people to whisper all the time. At night we had to use the genny for lights, but we are working on a way to put those on battery. Not that we want to be members of Hushville, we do our own thing, just giving an example of what I consider an interactive camp that could be incorporated into Hushville. Even with our close proximity, HV never once complained about our camp, many Hushers were regulars in the bar and very happy that is was us next door and not some big sound camp ;-)
ConnieH

Postby AntiM » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Hushville has three rules:
1. No generators, including running your vehicle.
2. No amplified music.
3. LNT (we re always green)

There is an emphasis on not making loudness within the village, say a drum circle. We have musicians who play their instruments, we have parties. Hushville is very much a loose collective of small independent camps.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lemur » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:08 pm

i dont see anything about megaphones on that list of rules.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Hijack!

Postby Zhust » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:12 pm

VultureChow wrote:Good to know. I'm very interested in checking out AEZ.

VultureChow wrote:... I camp solo all the time, but from a social standpoint. I tend to be shy and have a difficult time making the first step. I feel like I would enjoy myself more if there is a group of people who I have to interact with by default.

I found AEZ to be friendly enough, but it's about as hands-off as you can get participation-wise. As someone who is also shy / was more shy, camping at AEZ solo was a lot like camping alone. Of course, I may be unusually stubbornly antisocial or something: I helped build the Temple of Flux in 2010 and spent 1 1/2 extra weeks working with hundreds of people and didn't connect much more than on an acquaintance level.

There is no perfect answer and you know better than anyone what behaviors keep you in solitude. I can probably safely say if you're dissatisfied with your level of interaction, continuing to behave the same way is not going to elicit change.

I found it easier to make myself more approachable as other people are more confident about talking to new people. For instance, your appearance can influence others to be more likely to want to interact with you or not, so costumes that fit your goals help. Physical objects can help too — like a rickshaw or a cooler, depending on the kind of person you want to meet. Making a concerted MOOPing effort on a particular area can get people to talk to you as well (bringing a couple extra MOOP containers). If you're into getting others to talk to you, think about people you wanted to talk to and see what made them attractive to you and try doing things like that.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Re: Hijack!

Postby VultureChow » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:22 pm

jaycerochester wrote:

VultureChow wrote:... I camp solo all the time, but from a social standpoint. I tend to be shy and have a difficult time making the first step. I feel like I would enjoy myself more if there is a group of people who I have to interact with by default.

I found AEZ to be friendly enough, but it's about as hands-off as you can get participation-wise. As someone who is also shy / was more shy, camping at AEZ solo was a lot like camping alone. Of course, I may be unusually stubbornly antisocial or something: I helped build the Temple of Flux in 2010 and spent 1 1/2 extra weeks working with hundreds of people and didn't connect much more than on an acquaintance level.

There is no perfect answer and you know better than anyone what behaviors keep you in solitude. I can probably safely say if you're dissatisfied with your level of interaction, continuing to behave the same way is not going to elicit change.

I found it easier to make myself more approachable as other people are more confident about talking to new people. For instance, your appearance can influence others to be more likely to want to interact with you or not, so costumes that fit your goals help. Physical objects can help too — like a rickshaw or a cooler, depending on the kind of person you want to meet. Making a concerted MOOPing effort on a particular area can get people to talk to you as well (bringing a couple extra MOOP containers). If you're into getting others to talk to you, think about people you wanted to talk to and see what made them attractive to you and try doing things like that.

Thanks for the tips. My issue is approaching someone cold. I need to have a reason. Once I'm talking, and the other person is responding, I'm fine. I think it comes from a deep lack of self worth. I think so little of myself that how can I expect someone to even bother with me. I know that's not true, but it's a difficult emotion to overcome. Except when I'm drinking. Then I'll approach ANYONE.

For my first year camp, I was really thinking something like Stag Camp where I can choose to interact, but there's not a ton of responsibilities regarding camp activities. I want to be free to explore while also be around other people. Though I do plan on a volunteer shift or two with ice distribution. Sounds nice and cool.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Hijack!

Postby ConnieH » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:40 pm

VultureChow wrote:
jaycerochester wrote:

Thanks for the tips. My issue is approaching someone cold. I need to have a reason. Once I'm talking, and the other person is responding, I'm fine. I think it comes from a deep lack of self worth. I think so little of myself that how can I expect someone to even bother with me. I know that's not true, but it's a difficult emotion to overcome. Except when I'm drinking. Then I'll approach ANYONE.

For my first year camp, I was really thinking something like Stag Camp where I can choose to interact, but there's not a ton of responsibilities regarding camp activities. I want to be free to explore while also be around other people. Though I do plan on a volunteer shift or two with ice distribution. Sounds nice and cool.

Stag Camp is great - I have several friends who camp with them and love it. Bartending helps get me out of my shell - people come to ME and want MY services and thank ME for it - huge ego boost! I understand shy, which is why anyone who comes into our bar gets a warm welcome and conversation with their drink. Breaking that ice, for me, is a lot easier when I have something people need or want, and a reason to sit and talk. Building something doesn't work so well for me because it takes concentration and it's essentially "work" so chit-chat isn't so prevelent outside of project specific talk.

and to keep this on-topic, I think Hushville should definitely apply as a village next year, because from all I've heard that's what they are since the collective theme (no gennys or amplified music) isn't really theme camp worthy, IMO. Let the individual camps place applications under the village application and see how that goes.
ConnieH

Postby curiousgnate » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:57 pm

Hey, Vulture Chow, I have camped stag camp for the last 4 years and I love stag!!!!! Definitely check out our site at www.stagcamp.proboards.com We can help any burgin come out of their shell. As for hushville. I like hushville, it is interactive, just not in the in your face way other camps are. It should be placed every year, and is a service to the community.
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby Igneouss » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:52 am

My Perspective:
HV is a great thing. The BMOrg needs to encourage more camps to be like HV.
- HV is super inclusive. They typify that principal like very few other camps. Many talk but few can top HV for the age/race/etc range of campers.
- HV is the prime landing spot for virgins. It serves a tremendous role simply by existing. Virgins who do thier homework discover HV and know that no matter what else, they can always settle on HV. Many might make plans to join other camps even before arriving at BM, but it was the existence of HV that provided the confidence to buy the ticket in the first place.
- HVs size is simply a manifestation of it's success/popularity. It's not the result of grand plans to be the biggest (fill in the blank). It's not the result of a large number of people wanting to be a Placed Camp without doing any work.
- Some people in the BMOrg need to understand that a camp/village can fit the BM ethos to a T without oodles of listed events or a high-profile organization.

+ everything AntiM said.

Cheers to HV!
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:23 am

Igneouss wrote:Virgins who do thier homework discover HV and know that no matter what else, they can always settle on HV.

I think they shouldn't take Hushville that much for granted. If there's no room on the playa, they are parking on L.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Igneouss » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:42 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Igneouss wrote:Virgins who do thier homework discover HV and know that no matter what else, they can always settle on HV.

I think they shouldn't take Hushville that much for granted. If there's no room on the playa, they are parking on L.

Maybe so but HV is still an anchor for many virgins' plans. It's about making the commitment to actually go to BM - buying the ticket. Once in they discover that camping elsewhere is no biggie. I believe that planning one's first trip to BM can be very opaque for lots of people. People who lack friends at BM or those that do not live in SF or LA for example. HV provides a possible landing spot that makes the rest of the planning more doable. I was one of those people. Came by myself and planned on my own. I was invited to join a great group prior to arriving but before that HV instilled a level of confidence that made the commitment real...
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby trilobyte » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:13 am

So you took it for granted and are making the assumption that all first-timers are entitled to be a part of the camp?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby AntiM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:27 am

trilobyte wrote:So you took it for granted and are making the assumption that all first-timers are entitled to be a part of the camp?

If they pre-register and show up early enough to snag a spot, the yes they are.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Igneouss » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:33 am

trilobyte wrote:So you took it for granted and are making the assumption that all first-timers are entitled to be a part of the camp?

No but the likelyhood that trilobite would have a negative comment was always present.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
Igneouss

Postby AntiM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:39 am

Igneouss wrote:

No but the likelyhood that trilobite would have a negative comment was always present.

Hey, play nice!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Igneouss » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:44 am

*scuffs foot in dirt* *mumbles* ok.

Funny thing: My avatar... Which I had long before trilo was a moderator... is the first probable major predator to show up in the fossil record. At the same time that Anomalocaris shows up you start finding fossil trilobites with bite marks. So it stands to reason that trilo does not like me.

Cheers
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
Igneouss

Postby AntiM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:16 am

You can't teach a prehistoric fossil new tricks.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:46 am

Oh really? Try telling that to Ygmir.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby AntiM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:48 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:Oh really? Try telling that to Ygmir.

He's A God.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby trilobyte » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:53 am

I neither like you nor dislike you (or your avatar), Igneouss. It seems like I take exception to a lot of things you say because, well, you say things that warrant it. For example, your avatar comment - I've been a moderator on ePlaya for many years longer than you've even been a member.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Igneouss » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:59 am

Hadn't ever noticed you prior to your provocative retorts. You seemed to pop up when AntiM departed. cheers.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
Igneouss

Postby AntiM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:08 pm

Igneouss wrote:Hadn't ever noticed you prior to your provocative retorts. You seemed to pop up when AntiM departed. cheers.

Trilo was put on when we had the spambot attacks years ago. Eplaya was bumbling along under my benign neglect for years, no one saw the other mods often, if at all. No reason, really. But things happened and I decided to quit rather prolong stupidity. Trilo has mad IT skills, and actually can get to HQ and DO stuff which I cannot. It was a hand-over of sorts, but he has been here all along. He's the lead mod now, so he's in it hip deep and actively. If you two clash, well, it happens. I still love you both.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Nipple » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:32 pm

I believe the earth is only 200 years old, and that neither of the two of them exist.

Also:
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:35 pm

And the universe is just a big picture behind the moon! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Previous

Return to 2012 Theme Camps