Box truck shade structure ideas

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Box truck shade structure ideas

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 am

Tamara & Ken made a drive-through Monkey Hut for their Airstream, I can't remember if she posted pictures here or just on facebook, but it looks real good. Monkey Hut is tried and true wind-proof shade. And I can personally assure you that the connectors and tarp for a 25-foot hut will fit in a standard army surplus duffel bag. 8) The long sections of PVC can be pre-ordered for pick up at the big-box home stores. The only headache I had doing a Monkey Hut long distance was with the rebar stakes. If you can sort those somehow then the rest is real easy.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby illy dilly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 am

MyDearFriend wrote:Tamara & Ken made a drive-through Monkey Hut for their Airstream, I can't remember if she posted pictures here or just on facebook, but it looks real good. Monkey Hut is tried and true wind-proof shade. And I can personally assure you that the connectors and tarp for a 25-foot hut will fit in a standard army surplus duffel bag. 8) The long sections of PVC can be pre-ordered for pick up at the big-box home stores. The only headache I had doing a Monkey Hut long distance was with the rebar stakes. If you can sort those somehow then the rest is real easy.

A monkey hut for a box truck would have to be very very very tall, but do-able.
Sorta like one of these
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:23 am

illy dilly wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:Tamara & Ken made a drive-through Monkey Hut for their Airstream, I can't remember if she posted pictures here or just on facebook, but it looks real good. Monkey Hut is tried and true wind-proof shade. And I can personally assure you that the connectors and tarp for a 25-foot hut will fit in a standard army surplus duffel bag. 8) The long sections of PVC can be pre-ordered for pick up at the big-box home stores. The only headache I had doing a Monkey Hut long distance was with the rebar stakes. If you can sort those somehow then the rest is real easy.

A monkey hut for a box truck would have to be very very very tall, but do-able.
Sorta like one of these

THAT WOULD BE SICK :shock: :shock:

Illy.. to answer you before.. I need to make it luggage check-able because I'm flying in as you know, and don't want to have to find someone each year that is willing to lug it back and forth to the play for me. Radical self-reliance and all.

I'm liking the idea of a large reflective tarp with something on top of the truck. Depending on the available space around the truck, I could use rebar or ground augers to secure it and leave a shade space underneath as well. I like the pallet idea as you can find them for free if you look hard enough or for a low price.. then burn after. Pool noodles with PVC in the middle may work as well. In any case, that would be the direction I'm going in believe..

Now.. if I was driving in, I would lovvvvvvve to build a more sturdy structure like the picture..

PS.. nice boat in the picture. If the stripe on the side was aqua, it would look just like mine.. 8)
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby illy dilly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:17 pm

junglesmacks wrote:PS.. nice boat in the picture. If the stripe on the side was aqua, it would look just like mine.. 8)

Let me start by saying.... You fucker!

junglesmacks wrote:Illy.. to answer you before.. I need to make it luggage check-able because I'm flying in as you know, and don't want to have to find someone each year that is willing to lug it back and forth to the play for me. Radical self-reliance and all.

As for the rebar steaks, I wouldn't mind trucking those for you this year. I'd say, play the the steak by ear each year.
Then all you really need is tarp and rope.
Both are relatively light and packable.

What to put on top of the truck is the question. Pallets would work fine. But there has to be something that would be easier to find and ideally, something that would have another purpose between Reno and BRC and then again BRC to Reno.

Maybe even, card board boxes from a liqour store. They are typically pretty sturdy boxes. And would give plenty of space between the top of the truck and the tarp. Closer to the 6-12 inches per FJ's suggestion. They could be used to haul food to the playa, then unpacked.

Then again, there are about 9 months to nail this down.
At some point something is going to be glaringly obvious!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby ibdave » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:33 pm

I was going to say stick with the blow up ball idea( only inflate 1/2-3/4) this will give ya the air gap you seek. Inner tubes work great also. We (back in the young day) would cover the ski boat and then use wooden ribs that were cut just long and then attached on onside then push up to make the tarp tight. So a smaller version of the monkey hut ribbing could work just right. (note: good tape) So if the box is 10' wide it might need a 12' length to get the air gap ya need.

(just back from the dentist, if not making sense, fuck yer day) :D :D

another thing. If I was going this year (not going tho) I'd bring ya the PVC you would need. Just like any other fucker on the page... ask...
well maybe not bob because we still don't know what bob is...

Had a figjam cooler in camp and worked great and I'm sure the components could be brought to the Playa for ya...

the cool part is your showing the burgins it's NEVER to early to start planning.. :idea:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:57 pm

illy dilly wrote:
What to put on top of the truck is the question. Pallets would work fine. But there has to be something that would be easier to find and ideally, something that would have another purpose between Reno and BRC and then again BRC to Reno.

How about those 5 gallon buckets from home depot. Or some cheap-o storage containers might work too.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:00 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:How about those 5 gallon buckets from home depot. Or some cheap-o storage containers might work too.

Ooo. I like that idea. Durable and nice size. I think i could maybe get away with only two.. one at each end..?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Three. Supporting a 2x4.

This is something you can and probably should try at home, you know.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:51 am

junglesmacks wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:How about those 5 gallon buckets from home depot. Or some cheap-o storage containers might work too.

Ooo. I like that idea. Durable and nice size. I think i could maybe get away with only two.. one at each end..?

I was thinking 4, one at each corner with something on top of them like rope or a 2x4.
Then I read this...
Bob wrote:Three. Supporting a 2x4.

This is something you can and probably should try at home, you know.

I'm assuming Bob means like a ridge joist, which could work wonderfully... And even better than a flat top if it does rain again.

The more I think about this, it seems like a great idea. You could even do 3 cinder blocks, then lay the 2x4 on top, and just tip tie the 2x4 to the blocks. Shit, even a piece of PVC would work instead of a 2x4.
illy dilly

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping