How to Approach a Bar?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: How to Approach a Bar?

Postby graidawg » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:54 am

no moop from barbies they are shorn of hair prior to ingenious methods of disposal. the remains are resued as deterent for potential future barbies.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:54 am

jcliff wrote:More importantly, trinkets produced in mass such as anything plastic, will put the bar keep in the uncomfortable position of accepting a gift that will either be MOOP or just one more thing to haul in their gargabe to Reno.

Remember those plastic trinkets can be donated to an elementary school or nursing home for arts and crafts.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Kontradiction » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:52 pm

jcliff wrote:This is just nit-picky.....but everything important has already been said well. My suggestion is not to pull out playa gifts when you are negotiating a drink. Most worthy bars are happy to have you and don't need a gift in turn. In fact, your "gift" may seem like a barter situtation which true Burners will avoid. More importantly, trinkets produced in mass such as anything plastic, will put the bar keep in the uncomfortable position of accepting a gift that will either be MOOP or just one more thing to haul in their gargabe to Reno. If you really love a bar keep, then come back and get to know them. If you feel the love, give them something meaningful......after you've had a meaningful encounter.

Danke- :D
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby Kontradiction » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:52 pm

graidawg wrote:no moop from barbies they are shorn of hair prior to ingenious methods of disposal. the remains are resued as deterent for potential future barbies.

+1 :mrgreen:
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Has anyone tried ironing barbie hair to make a mat of it?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby gaminwench » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:47 am

Barbies look best bald...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Mr.Coffee » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:10 pm

My experience from my first burn (this year), was that any bar you like will always gladly accept a donation of Ice. Sometimes it gets you a lap dance*

(* results not typical, no guarantee of lap dance upon ice delivery. If rash developes, discontinue use and have another beer.)
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby JStep » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:15 pm

Great post! Let me preface this reply; last year was my first year. I spent 9+ months here on eplaya and researching BM in general. Now I'm a regional contact and looking to (only) my second burn next year. I am not a "veteran burner" by any means and am still humbled by all that I do not know about this magical thing we do. That said...

The Burner culture of decommodification and the human acculturation in defaultia means that your awkwardness in understanding the etiquette at BM is not uncommon and actually may be shared by the bartender! Yeah, believe it or not we are all humans, conditioned to life where every interaction of goods involves an exchange, and it may be weird shedding that prescriptive behavior.

It was a little odd for me the first few times I walked into a bar at BM. Not because I wanted booze but wasn't sure how I should go about getting it, but because I was unsure about what was expected of me. I knew the usual tips you will read here; Don't walk in reaching into your pack and dusting off your cup expecting something, don't try to reciprocate a gift out of a sense of duty to exchange, etc.... But still, when you come from years of conditioning into a world of gifting, ie a world where people give to you because they want to, not because 1) you have something they want for exchange or 2) because they owe it to you to provide something (a la Rainbow land) you sort of have an odd time figuring out your role in this drama....

Here's the secret; There is no role, there is no drama... IF you choose to think that way. One way to avoid the awkwardness is to always have your own drink, that way you you don't have to care whether or not they serve you. Be on the search for a cool place to hang out. When you find one, hang out, enjoy it, share, socialize and come back again. If you appreciate the atmosphere the place provides you, donate something. Ask the bartenders what they need or might be running low on. If you can help, help. Believe me, if you do these things you will find that that bar is a huge part of what you loved about your BM experience. The fact that they have given you some booze along the way is almost incidental.

Relax, enjoy yourself, create, contribute and look for ways to help. If you do this every day you will likely find that by the end of the week you're looking for ways to get rid of the booze you brought because along the way you were given so much that you never really thought about what to do with what you had other than share it.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Postby wh..sh » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Two words - please and thanks.

And drink up what you get!

I was sort of bartending for the art car serving drinks. Sometimes people are too demanding. When I hand them a can of beer that was just thrown in the cooler some would request for an ice cold one. For fucks sake people, it's below freezing and I have my hand in and out of the ice cooler all night long!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby ygmir » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:39 pm

wh..sh wrote:Two words - please and thanks.

I was sort of bartending for the art car serving drinks. Sometimes people are too demanding. When I hand them a can of beer that was just thrown in the cooler some would request for an ice cold one. For fucks sake people, it's below freezing and I have my hand in and out of the ice cooler all night long!

*considers ordering warm, fuzzy drink*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:37 am

Damn, jstep keeps saying things that increase my eplaya crush on him. Someone, please make him stop.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Raymaker » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:19 am

don't crawl to it, screaming "I'm stuck to the playa"
Raymaker

Postby JStep » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:58 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Damn, jstep keeps saying things that increase my eplaya crush on him. Someone, please make him stop.

(((Fishy)))
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Postby wh..sh » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:28 am

ygmir wrote:

I will save up a warm can of beer for you :)
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:51 am

Here's what I would do. Approach the camp. Say hello and exchange civilized pleasantries. Go to the bar (was bad!) and see if anyone offers you anything to drink. If not, then split; you're not missing anything. If they do, then return with some booze or mixer.
Last edited by Ugly Dougly on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 am

Yeah, going to the bad at burningman is highly recommended.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:04 am

Fixed! :)
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:10 am

Ah, the virtue of eplaya has been restored!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:31 pm

Well . . . something's been restored.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:06 pm

I knew I smelled something..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby BBadger » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Long shirt, no pants, no service.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Nveer had mcuh use for vtirue anyawy.

And thank you, Fishy, for your redlines! :)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Sail Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:37 pm

ygmir wrote:

How about a Guinness instead? :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Igneouss » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:27 am

Good thread!
As you read this thread you realize that there are a variety of bars on the playa.
I work in the Golden Cafe and it's a bit different.

For one we provide real glassware for our drinks. You do not need your cup here. Please leave the glass behind when you depart.
No gift required but we always welcome donations of booze and ice and mixer.
We try to keep things up-scale by BRC standards. We discourage people bringing in beer for example.
We also have a few exceptions to the radically inclusive ethos. For example, one patron brought in a megaphone. After ignoring requests to keep it off they had to be helped out the door. Another is groups of young men in t shirts and cargo shorts that always seem to have cans of beer in their hands.
We are mostly a daytime operation. For many we are a calm refuge and happy place to sit out hot weather or dust.
We have a stage and generally have good quality live music. Some musicians are members and some just sit in. Good fun. Musicians always welcome.

As for ID, it was the individual bartenders' responsibility to card patrons. But when things got busy we would warn people at the door that the bartender would require ID. It was amazing how many people did not have ID... Not much friction on this however.

We noticed an upswing in patrons that acted like they were entitled to service. I found that odd. Seems to indicate more BM attendees that are spectators and not up to speed on the ethos of BM.

One problem we had was that when the bar staff got overwhelmed we would 'bar' the door until the work load/crowd was back under control. This pissed some people off. They would walk up and be denied entry while looking in at an obviously busy bar. They tended not to understand the reasons. There's that entitlement thing again.

People seem to forget that we do this for our benefit. The patrons are our entertainment. We have fun making fun. At any point when it becomes too much like work we might shut down.

There were a lot more people this year that came to the Golden Cafe. This in turn resulted in us being open fewer hours. The bar staff would simply get worn out trying to keep up with the lines of people and still make it fun and exotic and playful.

So I guess my $.02 for the virgin is to be adaptable and adjust to the different 'scene' that each bar might present. Be open and friendly. Jump in and do some dishes. Bring some ice. Share a story. Meet people that are different than you. Stay a while if you like the place. Give positive feedback. It's all good.

Cheers,
Igneouss
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby lemur » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:08 am

dude broseph.. the tshirt, cargo shorts and beer are my costume... pssshhhhh

people these days!!!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby gyre » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:36 am

Golden Cafe is always very pleasant.
gyre

Postby Igneouss » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:20 am

lemur wrote:dude broseph.. the tshirt, cargo shorts and beer are my costume... pssshhhhh

people these days!!!

Dressing like a frat boy does come with risks. There ya go... I have seen burners dress intentionally like sparkle ponies.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby Igneouss » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:40 am

lemur wrote:dude broseph.. the tshirt, cargo shorts and beer are my costume... pssshhhhh

people these days!!!

Dressing like a frat boy does come with risks. There ya go... I have seen burners dress intentionally like sparkle ponies.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
Igneouss

Postby Elliot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:55 am

So.... I keep hearing that bars often run out of mixers before they run out of booze. And I could easily carry a supply of mixers on one of my pedal vehicles. And a supply of mixers is something I can afford. Now our "bar hopping" expeditions might become "delivery runs"! What should I stock up on?
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Igneouss » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:05 am

I'm sure it varies for other bars but we are always short of fruit juices. We also have sister bars that we share supplies with so if we extra of something it gets used at another bar quite happily
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
Igneouss

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks