Hackett Bulbs

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Hackett Bulbs

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:09 am

So I was thinkin of making some hackett bulbs this year. Has anyone made homemade bulbs? I wanna use test tubes and rubber stoppers like in the Hospital episode of Stuck with Hackett. I would like to have the bulbs be able to last 10 days or better and not require a vacuum seal. I already have the bright as fawk light covered, was nice to learn that dead d cells were good for something. :twisted:
BlackRockCityPimp

Re: Hackett Bulbs

Postby BBadger » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:05 pm

With so much progress made in LED and CFL light and now you're going back to incandescent bulbs? I thought you were trying to reduce your carbon footprint?

Regardless, they do look neat and have a nice glow. I'd make them into a large "Nixie" Tube though, instead of just a plain ol' light.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby late » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Nifty idea. What are you planning on using for filament?

Ebay has variac's for about $50 that would work for your plan.

Interested on hearing your progress! Caution though, the wires are glowing because of resistance, so going to get hot, not sure how much the rubber stoppers can handle?

You COULD always cheat and use "filament bulbs" (search amazon). Not nearly as cool as diy but safer :(

--Alex
late

Postby A Jester » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:14 pm

BBadger wrote:With so much progress made in LED and CFL light and now you're going back to incandescent bulbs? I thought you were trying to reduce your carbon footprint?

Regardless, they do look neat and have a nice glow. I'd make them into a large "Nixie" Tube though, instead of just a plain ol' light.

I'm reducing my carbon footprint by only burning wood that was harvested with axes, instead of chainsaws. If he does that, too, he might have the spare carbon credits to use less efficient systems of lighting.

Edit: for the sake of us non-DIY geeks, care to provide a link? Preferably in a LMGTFY format....
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:59 pm

A Jester wrote:Edit: for the sake of us non-DIY geeks, care to provide a link? Preferably in a LMGTFY format....

Gotcha covered..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:51 am

late wrote:Nifty idea. What are you planning on using for filament?

Interested on hearing your progress! Caution though, the wires are glowing because of resistance, so going to get hot, not sure how much the rubber stoppers can handle

You COULD always cheat and use "filament bulbs" (search amazon). Not nearly as cool as diy but safer :(

--Alex

I already have a variac that was found in a junkyard, works good and didnt even need to be refinished. The filament is where I was looking for suggestions on. I figured I would coil the filament around a pencil for forming purposes and I have scrap ceramic sleeves I found dumpster diving a local manufacturing plant that i think will help keep my wire from melting. As far as the rubber stoppers go I was planning on keeping the filament deep in the test tube and away from the stoppers.

I am sort of limited since I desire to have everything made from "trash". I was originally going to use my hho genny but after seeing so many people opposed to green power on the playa I will probably go with coal fired power generation this year. I want my art to be appreciated by the majority so green is out and more coal is in.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby ygmir » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:47 am

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:

Interested on hearing your progress! Caution though, the wires are glowing because of resistance, so going to get hot, not sure how much the rubber stoppers can handle

--Alex

I already have a variac that was found in a junkyard, works good and didnt even need to be refinished. The filament is where I was looking for suggestions on. I figured I would coil the filament around a pencil for forming purposes and I have scrap ceramic sleeves I found dumpster diving a local manufacturing plant that i think will help keep my wire from melting. As far as the rubber stoppers go I was planning on keeping the filament deep in the test tube and away from the stoppers.

I am sort of limited since I desire to have everything made from "trash". I was originally going to use my hho genny but after seeing so many people opposed to green power on the playa I will probably go with coal fired power generation this year. I want my art to be appreciated by the majority so green is out and more coal is in.

*snickering* yeah, coal fired is a good idea.

but, I was looking forward, to seeing your hho genny, running 24/7, self generating H2 and you only adding water to the tank from time to time.
That'd be cool.
Now, if you could funnel the O taken off, into the intake, and condense the exhaust, it'd be perpetual motion, no?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:48 am

ygmir wrote:Now, if you could funnel the O taken off, into the intake, and condense the exhaust, it'd be perpetual motion, no?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby A Jester » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:28 am

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:

--Alex

Actually, I think a coal powered genny would be pretty friggin' amazing. I know you're being pretty sarcastic, but it would be a pretty good educational opportunity and the actual amount of emissions would be negligible compared to diving to the event. You could even take it across the street from teh Alternative Energy Zone and roast marshmallows or baby rabbits on it.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:13 am

A Jester wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:

--Alex

Actually, I think a coal powered genny would be pretty friggin' amazing. I know you're being pretty sarcastic, but it would be a pretty good educational opportunity and the actual amount of emissions would be negligible compared to diving to the event. You could even take it across the street from teh Alternative Energy Zone and roast marshmallows or baby rabbits on it.

No not being sarcastic, doing gasification instead with pallets. Lotsa smoke.. but shhh keep it on the low, etards might start claiming gasifiers dont work either. Maybe I will soak the wood coal with diesel for extra lulz.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby ygmir » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:17 am

seems a good machinist could make you a stack that'd heat and keep the smoke to a minimum.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby skibear » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:09 am

We were at the local Nando's Peri-Peri restaurant and saw really cool string filiament bulbs that glowed softly. About 8 strands of tungsten string
3 inches long.

Two days later I saw the same bulbs as "vintage" (normal screw in edison socket) at Home Depot for $10 each. Outrageous price but I doubt
you could make one for this price.
hth
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:38 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
A Jester wrote:Edit: for the sake of us non-DIY geeks, care to provide a link? Preferably in a LMGTFY format....

Gotcha covered..

It comes back here! :D
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:40 pm

ygmir wrote:seems a good machinist could make you a stack that'd heat and keep the smoke to a minimum.

Oh, I'll bet he could.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Return to Power & Illumination