Will card renewal prevent billing

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Will card renewal prevent billing

Postby TomFoolery » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:14 pm

So I signed up for the holiday 'selection' and gave my card #, which is good through the end of the month. THEN I read that the same submission will be used for the following 'selections' if I do not get tickets now. So I'll have a renewed card by then. Ack. Will the transaction go through? The renewal date is sure to change and the card # sometimes does when you get a new card. This is a nasty gotcha I think. Is there ANY recourse....?

-TomFoolery
TomFoolery

Re: Will card renewal prevent billing

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:22 pm

I would assume from previous answers to email partiserv(at)burningman(dot)com with your concern/issue..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Wait until the 19th. The pre-sale drawing (and subsequent billing) should be held on or before the 19th, if you have not been charged by that date, send an email to Participant Services at the address junglesmacks mentioned. Thanks
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BBadger » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

Hey Trilo, is BMOrg going to use the practice of approving the charge when the drawing reservation is made and placing a credit hold on a certain amount for the card, and then if the ticket is won, the amount is actually charged?

The reason I ask, is that sometimes my bank is overzealous in their fraud protection, and seeing some big chunk of change by some shady organization like "Burning Man" might set off some red flags in conjunction with other shady ventures like my shipments of powdered rhinoceros horn. If the credit is approved at the time of entering the drawing, then I'll know then and there that it is in the system, not need to receive a phone call saying "Hello, we're BANK and we caught some potentially fraudulent charges on your card for 2 x $240 and we prevented them from going through, ain't that awesome?"
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:58 am

Nope. Your card is not run at the time of registration, only at the time of purchase (if/when you're awarded tickets).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby jkisha » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:37 am

I believe you can call and alert your card company to expect said charge if you think it will be suspect by them.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:16 pm

That's a good idea. I typically call my credit card company annually just before the Burn to warn them I'll be traveling and to put a note on my account. I'll bet it looks strange that I'm spending $250 on deely bobbers, glitter stickers and fine leather trousers in Klamath Falls, Oregon, but that @#$% is critical, Citibank.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby BBadger » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Hmm, good idea to call them up. I did that for some foreign travel, but it'd probably be a good idea this time too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby illy dilly » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:11 am

Yeah, I have to let my bank (local credit union) know that I'm traveling, other wise I'll go to get gas at 3am in BFE Nevada, and my card will get declined.

I let them know that for a 12 day period any charges from gas stations, convenience stores, Auto Stores, or grocery stores are good to go in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, or Nevada are good to go.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:13 am

See how can they do that and not be able to accommodate funkyjigsaw?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:27 am

Maybe those European banks don't like them spending their money abroad.

BBadger

Postby candiru » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Well, I just had exactly that fear happen - my credit card company called me with a fraud alert after the LLC tried to charge for tickets. I can't believe it, I could KILL the damn credit card company. They offered to try to call the merchant but of course there's no phone contact, so the best I could do was email and see what happens.

So lesson learned to all - your credit card company can shut off your card, and if the LLC doesn't re-try it after you clear the fraud alert you might get screwed out of tickets. Dammit, I hope this gets cleared up.
candiru

Postby remi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:02 pm

candiru wrote:Well, I just had exactly that fear happen - my credit card company called me with a fraud alert after the LLC tried to charge for tickets. I can't believe it, I could KILL the damn credit card company. They offered to try to call the merchant but of course there's no phone contact, so the best I could do was email and see what happens.

So lesson learned to all - your credit card company can shut off your card, and if the LLC doesn't re-try it after you clear the fraud alert you might get screwed out of tickets. Dammit, I hope this gets cleared up.

Shit.. good luck man.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion