Will Chase wrote:I'M ANXIOUS ABOUT GETTING A BURNING MAN TICKET THIS YEAR. WHAT DO I DO?
Don't panic. While we understand everybody's eager (and perhaps anxious) to secure themselves a ticket for 2012, it's important to remember that we're selling AS MANY OR MORE tickets than we did in 2011, only through different mechanisms than in the past. There are in reality upwards of five different ways you could acquire tickets:
We really do believe that with all these mechanisms to get tickets, most everybody's needs will be met. We worked very hard on this, weighing many variables, and determined that this solution would serve the community's myriad needs at this time.
- You can get 'em in the holiday Pre-Sale now ... register, and we'll do a random drawing from all entries to distribute 3,000 tickets.
- You can get 'em in the Main Sale in January ... just register, and we'll do a random drawing for 40,000 tickets.
- We'll have a first-come, first-served Open Sale of 10,000 tickets (plus whatever's left over from the Main Sale) in March.
- Then there's the inevitable aftermarket from Burners like yourselves who either sell their extras, or realize they can't attend, and sell them. (We're anticipating this will be a big market, and we're working on a system that helps you buy and sell them more safely.)
- Finally, if you're particularly financially constrained, we've also got a Low Income Ticket Program that'll start up after the Main Sale ... it requires filling out a written application for our hard-working ticket folks to review by hand.
Inevitably, there's going to be something that doesn't work perfectly, and we are committed to learning from our experience and improving things for the future. We'll continue to study and evolve our systems to adapt to the ever-changing needs of our community. In fact, when you go to register for tickets, you'll be asked to fill out a quick 12-question survey, which will help us learn more about you and your purchasing patterns, providing important data for our ongoing considerations and system improvements.
If you still have questions or concerns about the ticket process this year, chances are they're answered in our Ticket FAQ … or somebody's discussing them on ePlaya.
Thanks for hanging in there with us through all this ... luckily, Burners are nothing if not adept at adapting to a shifting landscape (and the occasional whiteout dust storm).