The Gift

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

The Gift

Postby Yellfire! » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:51 pm

Written by my wife NicePeace.

I am not sure when it was that I had first heard about Burning Man. I also didnt know anyone that had actually gone to the event. So I never knew what there was to love about it or hate about it. I knew it was an interesting experience that one of these days would be something I would plan.

Wow. Burning Man is one of the best things that I have ever done. Our excitement to go was pure and childlike. As the time approached I was anxious to go "home" although I wasnt sure if call it home was for me. Burners call the Playa "home" and well, I was open to the discovery that it possibly wasnt for me.

You see, I dont like crowds. There were over 50,000 people that were supposed to attend. What if all those idiots were hell raisers?

I dont like drunks. I heard it is a constant party.

People must like fire and things blowing up. That is usually a rowdy crowd. I am not into that scene at all. I am very chill.

So Monday, arrival day, I was giddy. Oh my. I couldn't wait to get out into the place. What was this Burning Man home thingy feeling that all the people talked about? What the fuck was the big deal? Holy my Jesus, this was not an easy trip to take. The principles of BM are to be totally self-reliant. Pack it in pack it out.

Fine. But an 18 hour drive there and no exchange of money and all these party people and dirt and stuff... what will we do there?

People. You can say all day long that you have absolutely no interest in BM. Camping, dust, heat, cold, wind, fire, crowds, driving.... blah blah blah it isnt your thing.

I will tell you this. It is your thing. If you opened your mind and your heart, if you let go of all judgment, it if let life unfold, if you lived in the very moment of now. You would love it. Not just for 7 days straight. Nah. You dont want to leave. You want to stay. Because it is home. There is no place like it. I got it and I get it.

You will never meet more amazing people, the people are there for you to have an experience. The people LIVE to give you a good time. This place is the way we all want to live. It is a gift. Our playa home neighbors talked more to us then the neighbors we lived by for over three years. We shared drinks and coffee and deep soul moments. We laughed and loved and hugged total strangers.

I feel my mind has always been open. But BM opened my heart. Wide open. I am a little more patient now and a lot more tolerant. I fucking loved every moment of the experience, the sounds, the lights, the sights, the love, the gift of home.

Until Burning Man is here again, I will practice what I forgot I knew. Home is what you make it. Home is a gift.

http://nicepeace2011burner.blogspot.com/
There is something special about Burning Man and I'm frightened by those who don't see it.
Yellfire!

Re: The Gift

Postby trilobyte » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:55 pm

Very well said, tell NicePeace I said thanks for sharing :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:03 pm

Very nice and well written.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby mgb327 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:31 pm

Brought a tear...my experience was so similar. I long to be back Home, as I have learned you can't unring the bell.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby Sham » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:18 pm

Very nicely put. This place is something you have to experience first hand. You seemed to have nailed it, however.
Sham

Postby jkisha » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Nice.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby maryanimal » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Absolutely beautiful!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby JayBobBoy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Goddamn I'm fired up now!!!!!!!

Thank you that was great!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby delle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Yellfire! quoting NicePeace wrote:
Until Burning Man is here again, I will practice what I forgot I knew. Home is what you make it. Home is a gift.

I needed this today. Thank You! :D
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby Yellfire! » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:07 pm

mgb327 wrote:Brought a tear...my experience was so similar. I long to be back Home, as I have learned you can't unring the bell.

It brings a tear to my eye every time I read it. Home Is where I want to be and I cant imagine my life with out it. Or without her.

And thanks to all who read it and said positive things. She really appreciates it.
There is something special about Burning Man and I'm frightened by those who don't see it.
Yellfire!

Postby Sassy Britches » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:07 pm

Thank you Nice Peace, your beautiful words spoke for me as well.
Sassy Britches

Postby JesseGrrl2009 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:03 am

I've had similar worries, this just makes me long to be there even more! :D
"Now go make art, eat, drink, learn, discuss, study, read, absorb art daily. You are an artist. The commercially make a living part comes later, if ever, but never doubt: you ARE an Artist." - AntiM

)'( 2013 )'(
JesseGrrl2009

Burning Since: 2013

Postby NicePeaceofBuddhy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:32 am

I hope to always be a part of burning man.

Thank you for all your compliments. Once you go it is hard not to relate to the magic and lure of the people that make BM so special.
NicePeace
NicePeaceofBuddhy

Postby Yellfire! » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Its all about the art! Nicepeace.
Attachments
Burning man art small.jpg
Burning man art small.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Yellfire!

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:12 pm

i can see why you call her Nice Piece.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Old school sexist...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:04 pm

i like to think of myself as a post modern archie bunker with really good hair.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm

*looks for armchair*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Experiences at Burning Man