Burn Preparation Costs

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

drive or fly????? i wonder a lot

Postby bigdane » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:59 pm

..........ok....I'm having some second thoughts about driving (from the FL panhandle-near Pensacola) to BRC. I thought it would be like very cool to beedebop road trip...but I dunno. It's like 2800 miles each way and the gas alone is going to run me about $700. I just wonder. I've read alot about renting a box truck, but also thought I read that there are some rental agencies that give burners a hard time - yada-yada. I also wonder how I handle gear; sleeping stuff etc. Then I wonder... do I fly into Reno or someplace else close but with a plethora of resale stores...I know some folks fly out and then head to Goodwill, Army Surplus, MamaHo's reSale, whateva..But like I don't know if these places get all picked over by other burners doing the same thing??? And what about after TTITD?? What if I find some cool stuff that I wanna use the following year?? Storage? or let the tides carry it off and trust the next wave? Aaaaarggghh...whats a guy to do??? I'm "hoping" that I can pull a budget together of about 2K inclusive - which seems like alot but perhaps its not.

Oh and what about fudge and bacon jam...????? how do I bring the goodies??? I mean if I fly...ya think they're going to just let me bring that shit on board...

I wonder a lot...maybe too much...
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Re: drive or fly????? i wonder a lot

Postby Savannah » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:42 pm

bigdane wrote:..........ok....I'm having some second thoughts about driving (from the FL panhandle-near Pensacola) to BRC. I thought it would be like very cool to beedebop road trip...but I dunno. It's like 2800 miles each way and the gas alone is going to run me about $700. I just wonder. I've read alot about renting a box truck, but also thought I read that there are some rental agencies that give burners a hard time - yada-yada. I also wonder how I handle gear; sleeping stuff etc. Then I wonder... do I fly into Reno or someplace else close but with a plethora of resale stores...I know some folks fly out and then head to Goodwill, Army Surplus, MamaHo's reSale, whateva..But like I don't know if these places get all picked over by other burners doing the same thing??? And what about after TTITD?? What if I find some cool stuff that I wanna use the following year?? Storage? or let the tides carry it off and trust the next wave? Aaaaarggghh...whats a guy to do??? I'm "hoping" that I can pull a budget together of about 2K inclusive - which seems like alot but perhaps its not.

Oh and what about fudge and bacon jam...????? how do I bring the goodies??? I mean if I fly...ya think they're going to just let me bring that shit on board...

All this dithering and weighing of things is okay, especially at this early date; it shows you're a planner, so don't let it make you feel like a mess. Last year I literally had Plans A, B, C & D in a Word .doc. These were ranked by my satisfaction with them, based on my personality. :D (I'm social, I'm anxious, I like a lot of gear, I like to shop slowly & pack really carefully.)

* Plan A was ship 80% of my gear to Motskyroonmatick's house in July via a van headed that way, and take the train to him a month later with my clothes. Since Motz ended up being able to Burn, Plan A worked. I liked this plan best because Motzy is great company, it didn't involve me swerving all over the road as a new driver, and because I dig the roadtrip experience (particularly on the way down). Also--this method allowed me to bring a lot of carefully planned stuff, and split gas costs.

* Plan B was take Amtrak (surprisingly generous baggage, btw! 2 carryons, 6 checked bags [some free, some for a pittance], & even a bike, depending) to the last decent-sized town on my particular route, pick up a rental, and drive for 5 hours. Even I can drive for 5 hours in quiet territory during the day. But picking a rental up that far from home--and yet 5 hours from the Burn--caused me stress. 12 hour train ride, pick up car, sleep in motel, shop the next day, drive. On the way back, stash stuff in motel, wash car, return car, walk to motel, taxi to return train. It could've worked . . .

* Plan C was a solo rental car, even though I'd never driven 100 miles alone, let alone 680. :shock: Scariest plan, pricey, but "simple".

* Plan D was fly into Reno and shop. Amtrak doesn't get me to Reno in a sensible way, but a plane could. (I don't like flying, I don't like shopping fast, and I was scared to drive a box truck.) I didn't like this plan because I wouldn't have been confident enough for a small box truck & wouldn't have been able to use one as a house . . . but now I've done a little truck driving & Plan D might easily be Plan C.

So, do I know yet how I'm getting to the Playa this year? As a matter of fact, I do not. :D And the plans probably need to be re-ranked. But I've got my time off & my $$ saved, ticket comes next. I might reserve a vehicle at a place that doesn't require a deposit, & see how the rest shakes out.

. . . The burner-friendly entity that Junglesmacks gets his box truck from is Budget Truck Rental on Gentry Way in Reno.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Re: Burn Preparation Costs

Postby bigdane » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:59 am

good perspective...lists...thats what I need...seriously maybe I need to make a couple lists =>>>FLY...=>>>DRIVE...$$$ wise I need to analyze the expenses. I don't "know" any burners 'cept those on eplaya and mailing some stuff doesn't seem an option at this point but there is plenty of time. I'll also touch base with Junglesmacks and get his feedback...he'll definitely have an opinon and experience with box truck plan. Thanks for the feedback...not to sure if this was the right thread but seemed as good as any...
bigdane

Postby trilobyte » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:09 am

You may also care to start investigating some of the regional groups within 'striking distance' of your location. They share similar logistical hurdles, and you might be able to connect with some folks who are either doing a shipping container (where you'd pay a price per cubic foot) or renting a box truck with room to spare (you'd give 'em money to help them offset the rental and gas, they'd haul your stuff). Then you just get your gear to the dropoff point in defaultia, get to Black Rock City by any means possible, and pick your gear up on the playa. Getting it back home is the reverse - you get it to the truck/container camp early enough so they can load out on their schedule, then you get home and meet your gear at the place you dropped it off.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:12 am

bigdane wrote:good perspective...lists...thats what I need...seriously maybe I need to make a couple lists =>>>FLY...=>>>DRIVE...$$$ wise I need to analyze the expenses. I don't "know" any burners 'cept those on eplaya and mailing some stuff doesn't seem an option at this point but there is plenty of time. I'll also touch base with Junglesmacks and get his feedback...he'll definitely have an opinon and experience with box truck plan.

Yeah.. I'd be glad to help. I've got my system pretty well down at this point. All I need really is one checked suitcase at the max allowed weight and one carry on. You can fit all your clothes, cooking stuff, lights, etc etc between those two things. Get to Reno and allow yourself an entire day of running around to grocery stores, liquor store, smoke shop, REI, peoples houses for spare furniture, etc.. then shove off from Reno by no later than 9pm. Done. Piece o' cake!

The only thing that I haven't tackled yet is some type of shade structure to cover the truck in. That suckers gets completely uninhabitable from noon - 5pm. There were a couple of miserable later afternoons this last burn after staying up until sunrise and just wanting to crash through the afternoon and being extra cranky from the "hangover". That may be one thing that I would need to build one year and then find someone to haul for me each year..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lucky420 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:36 am

bigdane,
you can ship your baked goods to me and I will cart them up to the playa for you. I live about 120 miles south of BRC and rent a box truck. When the time comes nearer you can pm me if you'd like and maybe I can help you out with various things. Just putting it out there, no offense taken if you don't take me up on the offer.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:54 am

But are the baked goods safe with you? Not to impinge on your honor, but to note the obvious: Big Dane makes a morally-corrupting baked good.

btw Big Dane, has someone told you bread is not good on the playa? It gets moldy. Just trying ot avoid heartache for you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: drive or fly????? i wonder a lot

Postby Raymaker » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:14 am

bigdane wrote:..........ok....I'm having some second thoughts about driving (from the FL panhandle-near Pensacola) to BRC. I thought it would be like very cool to beedebop road trip...but I dunno. It's like 2800 miles each way and the gas alone is going to run me about $700. I just wonder. I've read alot about renting a box truck, but also thought I read that there are some rental agencies that give burners a hard time - yada-yada. I also wonder how I handle gear; sleeping stuff etc. Then I wonder... do I fly into Reno or someplace else close but with a plethora of resale stores...I know some folks fly out and then head to Goodwill, Army Surplus, MamaHo's reSale, whateva..But like I don't know if these places get all picked over by other burners doing the same thing??? And what about after TTITD?? What if I find some cool stuff that I wanna use the following year?? Storage? or let the tides carry it off and trust the next wave? Aaaaarggghh...whats a guy to do??? I'm "hoping" that I can pull a budget together of about 2K inclusive - which seems like alot but perhaps its not.

First timers in 2011, we had three suitcases for our flight from Chicago to Reno, we had to pay the default baggage fees, but also one suitcase was 88lbs which they didn't like at all, so they fined us $200, in Reno we bought a largish cooler and packed that too, for our journey back, so default costs for 4 items, but we didn't take in to account the weight of the cooler when packed, so we still had to pay another $100 fine on the way back, would have been $50 less for 5 items all under weight, but with hindsight, a couple of items that weighed the most cost less than $50 to buy, so we could have just gave them away and bought them as new in Reno in 2012 and saved at least $100, crazy really.
Raymaker

Postby lucky420 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:15 am

lol yes fishy the baked goods would be safe. I was going to mention that in my post but thanks for calling me out on that :lol: I would just put the whole package in the garage fridge until ready to transport.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby C187 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:11 pm

bigdane, every east coaster feels your pain. But! Every east coaster has knowledge to share with you. Here are some of the things I've learned..

- Gas is always more then you think it's going to be. But you can prepare for it by finding out the national average, the estimated national average for when you leave, and the average cost for that quarter in areas along the way. By taking that information you can come up with a range of prices, and then apply each to your real mpg. (btw: it's always a good idea to figure out your cars real mpg while loaded with gear) One extra thing I like to do is add $0.15 to $0.50 (p/ gallon) to the top price in the range for things that might happen while your on the playa. Like a hurricane, or oil spill, or alien invasion. Because you can get off the playa and find the price has jumped up (like in 2007).

- You can however save $20 or more bucks on your trip by filling up at half tank (around dawn is the best time), and by watching tire pressure and fluids like a hawk.

- Use your local group if you can. I know you said you don't know any local burners, but honestly if there is a group with-in 150miles of you, you should get to know them. Because that group might go in together for a box truck or something, that will allow you to place heavy or odd shape (bikes) items on it for a good price. If it's cheaper to send your bike with a group truck then to buy a bike rack, then do it. If you have something over 200lbs that can go onto a group truck, then send it. Even if it seems like it costs too much, take a hard look at how much that weight is going to cost you taking it yourself. .. If you can, be the person that drives the box truck for the group. The driving is going to suck, but your car isn't making the trip, and you are only paying for your share of the gas.

- You can sleep at rest stops, and you should at least once each way. It's not as bad as you might think it would be if you've never done it before. The key I've found is to load your gear in such a way that you can move some of it out of the way in under five minutes. So you can lay down, and not be cramped in the drivers seat.

- Friends, family, and burners not going this year all make wonderful places to crash at for the night. Although depending on the friend, you might not get much sleep, and will likely not leave until hours after you planned on. >.> But hey! Typically free beer, and food.

- Plan to have an extra $250 to $300 on you for after the burn. This should be your, "brilliant idea" / "oh! shit!" money. Use it for the brilliant idea of going out of your way to that one cute person you really connected with's place. Or, for that what the fuck is that smell, and why do I see smoke moment. If neither of those things happen, then you saved yourself $250 to $300, and the headache both will eventually create.

- If you don't have a debt or credit card, get a pre-paid one. You will have that one moment in the middle of the night when you need to buy gas, but the only way to do it is by paying at the pump.

That's all I can think of right now... I'm sure I'll remember something else later.
Oh! In 2011 I spent around $2k round trip, not including ticket or (the majority) on playa food. But I also upgraded my tent setup, and went to SF before and after the burn. So the numbers might be a little off.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby bigdane » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:31 pm

lucky420 wrote:lol yes fishy the baked goods would be safe. I was going to mention that in my post but thanks for calling me out on that :lol: I would just put the whole package in the garage fridge until ready to transport.

((L420))....I trust you completely with baked goods...despite the hint otherwise...not that anyonefishy would do that...I just wonder as fudge and bacon jam are the only two extravangances I wish to gift whenever possible, most def the M&G.Thank you for the offer...I can assure you I will take you up on it!!
bigdane

Postby Sail Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:44 pm

Sail Man wrote:Hmmmm, gas from SE Michigan towing the camper and our tickets easily ran about 2700.00 though I haven't brought myself to tallying up all the receipts. Other expenses include hotels out and back (yes we have a camper we could sleep in, no we did not, yes it is crammed full of shit :D ), meals out and back, tickets to Lehman Caves in Great Basin Natl Mon., Harley Davidson shirt for my bud watching out gecko, yadda yadda yadda.....

Probably at least 4g's. Just don't tell my wife, she wants to go somewhere else next summer and that will just bolster her argument :wink:

Ok, counted the receipts recently, 5400$ ish :shock:

I think I'll be able to upgrade to granite counter tops next year with the money I save not going to the burn.

hmmm, I think this is the first time I have ever quoted myself. I think I need another beer. oh wait, I just got one. :roll:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby illy dilly » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:52 am

Regarding the storage near Fernley or Gerlach.
While we were broken down at the Fernley Wal-mart for a night, a local burner came by and gave us a flyer. The flyer talked about renting a shed for a year, or parking your trailer. I didnt take a long look at the flyer, but I believe its still in my BMan Travel Folder.

I'll find it the next time I'm in the RV, and try to scan it and post it here.

I do remember thinking "Thats not a bad deal, IF you don't mind being away from your gear for a year"
We quickly denied the idea because we like to fix/modify/upgrade/replace our gear all year round. I also have a nasty habit of doing a thorough 'inventory' of all my gear a half dozen times between April and September.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:02 am

That was sort of my village's reaction to the llc-offered storage program that started this year. While some of us come from quite a ways away (Texas and Conneticut come to mind), our not being able to get to the gear for repair or other camping was a fatal fly in that ointment.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:57 am

Precisely.
Though, I suppose, if you've built a huge shade structure, and it works very well, it could be really nice to store it.
If our cover goes better this year (aka works perfectly, and survives break down) then it could be nice to just store the whole damned geo dome. Also our Carpet, that shit is heavy and packs sorta funny in the box truck.
I also suppose if you had folding tables that were only for BMan, they could stay too.

We have old Astro Van seats that we use as couches, they are currently in storage in Denver... They could have stayed in Nevada. But the van seats and the carpet are the only things we wont be screwing with, so it wouldn't make since to get storage unit just for that stuff. Unless its by the SqFt or CuFt.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:52 pm

bump
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby engineer2012 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:50 am

BBadger wrote:I'm completely disillusioned with going to places like Europe, where everything has rip-off prices compared to the US, and all the towns look exactly the same.

Hahaha, I'll bet you never have been in Europe, or even out of the US of AAAA, you narrow minded fucker.
:evil: :evil:
2012. I'll be home again in 2015
engineer2012

Postby wh..sh » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:02 am

BBadger wrote:I'm completely disillusioned with going to places like Europe, where everything has rip-off prices compared to the US, and all the towns look exactly the same.

And here I thought all towns in US looked the same, with McDonalds and Walmarts.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:50 pm

Venturing out on our own this year so the budget is insane . Bleh don't even want to think about it but we are doing it just the way we want it this year! Looking to find about 3 more people who would want to join in with our mini camp.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby BBadger » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:37 pm

engineer2012 wrote:

Hahaha, I'll bet you never have been in Europe, or even out of the US of AAAA, you narrow minded fucker.
:evil: :evil:

How do you think I came to that disillusionment? I'm not being narrow minded, nor am I saying the place sucks (aside from a euro buying less there than a dollar does here). All I'm saying is that I could take it or leave it if I return there again, and yes, the towns all look the same. The food was decent in places, but I can import that for less.

I need to visit some other continents. I'm done with Europe.

wh..sh wrote:And here I thought all towns in US looked the same, with McDonalds and Walmarts.

They do! Especially the 'burbs. That's why it's nice to visit places away from the towns.

Hell, soon it'll be like that all over the world as those McDonalds and Walmarks infest other places.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:20 am

BBadger wrote:Hell, soon it'll be like that all over the world as those McDonalds and Walmarks infest other places.

Too true, alas.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks