Burning Man and Occupy Wall Street

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Burning Man and Occupy Wall Street

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:57 am

No, not in the least.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:16 am

Ugly Dougly wrote: Oh, you're no fun anymore.

Anymore?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:17 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote: Oh, you're no fun anymore.

Anymore?

Please, Doc, enough.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:55 pm

We're being ironic.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:We're being ironic.

I think you mean moronic.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby A Jester » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:41 am

jerroc wrote:When I look at the money spent vs the outcome of the protest so far, its clear to me the protest is tax payer money wasted. The so called messangers are not getting the message across. In this case money talks and bullshit walks. OWS protesters don't represent enough tax payer dollars to be taken serious. I'm at the heart of the middle class and it should be me out there protesting but with the taxes I pay for social programs I simply can't do anything but work. As far as jobs go there are jobs out there they are not middle class jobs and they won't support middle class greedy lifestyle but they will Help pay the bills. Keeping unemployment beiefits going has kept unemployment reports high. The middle class is jumping on the gravy train with the poor. The 1% have the mone the 99% have the markets. You want a real protest than get a job pay with cash don't buy stupid shit like $100 pair of jeans. Keep your money out of banks and buy american when you can.

So, the middle class makes about $40k a year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_middle_class
That would mean you pay $6,134 in taxes (assuming NO deductions) http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf
and about 14% of that goes to "social programs" (excluding social security) http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1258

So, if you had another $859 dollars you would be able to do things other than just work?
I agree with getting a job, not spending $100 on a pair of jeans, and buying american (even though the last two are in direct conflict with each other). But I think if we want real change, we have to do more than just not make poor financial decisions.

I personally believe that corporations should not have the same rights as me. The middle class "jumping on the gravy train" can also be interpreted as "getting so poor that they are no longer middle class and social welfare programs apply to them".

I'd love to see a real protest where people voted with their pocket books and didn't patronize any business that paid it's CEO more than 100 times it's lowest paid employee. Of course, they'd just sub contract out all the janitor positions. I'd love to see Citizens United repealed, but I don't think we can wave a magic wand for that, either.

So, what does that leave us? Bringing these issues to the forefront of the political debate (instead of gay marriage or terrorism) works as a first step for me.

Who is spending the money, by the way? I think all those dirty hippies in tents are pretty much eating beans and rice.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby A Jester » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:43 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:We're being ironic.

I think you mean moronic.

\

Hey, I wanna be stupid too!

NO ONE IS FUN EVER!

(is that ok?)
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:58 am

A Jester wrote:....I'd love to see a real protest where people voted with their pocket books and didn't patronize any business that paid it's CEO more than 100 times it's lowest paid employee....

Pretty sure Apple's current CEO is making more than $1/year these days.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby jerroc » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:36 am

Jester I agree on all your points. As far as taxes go, frderal, state, county, and city I pay in much more than you show. Oregon is one of the highest tax state to live in. Utility tax, cell phone tax, gas tax, property tax, sales tax, sin tax. Take those into consideration. Then there Is high intrest rate payments, and yes 5% is sky high in home loan terms. I get money back at the end of the year but that helps offset the high medical insurance rates for a family of 5. The amount of money spent on police enforcement court cost and other city cost to deal with OWS protest is too much for too little.
jerroc

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:01 pm

jerroc wrote:Jester I agree on all your points. As far as taxes go, frderal, state, county, and city I pay in much more than you show. Oregon is one of the highest tax state to live in. Utility tax, cell phone tax, gas tax, property tax, sales tax, sin tax. Take those into consideration. Then there Is high intrest rate payments, and yes 5% is sky high in home loan terms. I get money back at the end of the year but that helps offset the high medical insurance rates for a family of 5. The amount of money spent on police enforcement court cost and other city cost to deal with OWS protest is too much for too little.

Thought there was no sales tax. But that's got to be filled in by something else, of course...
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby jerroc » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:01 pm

As a truck driver i pay the sales tax of the state I'm in. Up to 11%. As for oregon there is no sales tax but cities can charge a sales tax on prepaired food. Or additional gas tax We may not have a sales tax but the tax on property and business makes up for it.my employer has to pay half for my 14% income tax
jerroc

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:21 pm

You are all correct. All this time I have seen the world in color and now realize that it is in fact Black and White (and probably flat). I truly hope you all kiss & make up on the Playa. This is how veteran burners treat each other? I'm going why? Oh yeah the art...that's it.

Roll vintage hippie video.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbrn9eXE ... ure=fvwrel

Now I feel like hugging someone.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:29 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:Now I feel like hugging someone.

That's what fleamarket dummy is for.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:42 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:Now I feel like hugging someone.

That's what fleamarket dummy is for.

Must have been cold outside when pic taken ;-)
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:11 pm

Well, he has shaved all his body hair to have less drag in the water.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy