Shortening Exodus

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Shortening Exodus

Postby JesseGrrl2009 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:05 pm

This will be my first year at BM and my friend and I are driving in from Missouri. My question is what is the time/wait difference between leaving Saturday after the man burns or leaving Sunday? *If this has been posted somewhere else, I apologize. I tried searching it but couldn't find what I was looking for* Thanks in advance for any help :D
"Now go make art, eat, drink, learn, discuss, study, read, absorb art daily. You are an artist. The commercially make a living part comes later, if ever, but never doubt: you ARE an Artist." - AntiM

)'( 2013 )'(
JesseGrrl2009

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Shortening Exodus

Postby JStep » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:43 pm

It probably has but good luck finding it quickly with our amazingly powerful and intuitive search engine located in the top right corner of the page.

Last year was my first, but the general wisdom seems to be that the ideal time to leave would be Monday morning at around 4 AM. But don't tell anyone, we don't want everyone to know and start doing the same thing.

I left Monday at around 10 AM and spent 5 hours in Exodus before reaching asphalt. Some camp mates of ours were in line at 6 AM and spent about 4 hours in Exodus.

I think the general truism would be that regardless of the day the two worst times to leave are Sunday afternoon and just after the man burns.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

:)
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby JesseGrrl2009 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:54 pm

Ooh, good to know! 4-5 hours sounds much better than 8+ , thanks :)
"Now go make art, eat, drink, learn, discuss, study, read, absorb art daily. You are an artist. The commercially make a living part comes later, if ever, but never doubt: you ARE an Artist." - AntiM

)'( 2013 )'(
JesseGrrl2009

Postby Nipple » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:57 pm

I left the morning after the man burned, up at 7, packed and mooped, out at 9am.

Drove directly to pavement. Didn't stop. Really wished I had stayed for the temple.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:03 am

JesseGrrl2009 wrote:Ooh, good to know! 4-5 hours sounds much better than 8+ , thanks :)

Make sure you're listening to BMIR before you pull out- they give rough estimates for Exodus every 30 minutes or so. On Monday last year it was around 6 hours by 10am, by early afternoon they were reporting 8+. We finally decided just to go around 4pm, we didn't get to Reno until around midnight (or was it 1am?).

Anything dealing with Exodus is a guess, but you can pretty much bet on making good time if you leave before the Man burns (yes, I'm serious. It depends on how much you need to get out of there quickly)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby trilobyte » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:17 am

Some folks did get hit with 8+ hours this year, but I think that had more to do with an accident causing a closure on the main highway. I prefer to avoid the rush, and just don't leave on Monday. Almost no waiting for me, and one less vehicle in the logjam with everyone else. :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BBadger » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:28 am

In 2010, we stayed for the temple burn and left on Monday. It was about 5 hours of waiting, but at least the air is cool in the shade of your car if you have the doors open.

This year we left the day of the temple burn. Seeing the temple burn was great the year before, but it's also somewhat depressing to see everything wind down. Plus, we didn't want to wait so long as the previous year. Took about 15 minutes total to get to the highway, 10 of which was just driving slowly to get to the exit.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:03 am

- There will be a line no matter what you do

- Accept it

- Roll with it

- Treasure it as the last part of your experience on playa

- Think of ways you can prepare for it and maybe make it a better experience for you and others around you

- Maybe offer coffee, snacks, etc, ??, to those around you?

- It is what you make of it.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lemur » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:39 am

leave on tuesday
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby JesseGrrl2009 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:19 am

junglesmacks wrote:- There will be a line no matter what you do

- Accept it

- Roll with it

- Treasure it as the last part of your experience on playa

- Think of ways you can prepare for it and maybe make it a better experience for you and others around you

- Maybe offer coffee, snacks, etc, ??, to those around you?

- It is what you make of it.

Eric wrote:Make sure you're listening to BMIR before you pull out- they give rough estimates for Exodus every 30 minutes or so. On Monday last year it was around 6 hours by 10am, by early afternoon they were reporting 8+. We finally decided just to go around 4pm, we didn't get to Reno until around midnight (or was it 1am?).

Anything dealing with Exodus is a guess, but you can pretty much bet on making good time if you leave before the Man burns (yes, I'm serious. It depends on how much you need to get out of there quickly)

Thanks for all the great information guys :) Since we don't have to be back to Missouri too soon I think we'll just make sure we're prepared for exodus and keep an ear on the radio!

)'( 2013 )'(
JesseGrrl2009

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:44 pm

JesseGrrl2009 wrote:Since we don't have to be back to Missouri too soon I think we'll just make sure we're prepared for exodus and keep an ear on the radio!

In that case, I would stay for the temple burn on Sunday for sure. As a first timer.. and hell.. as an any-timer.. it really completes the experience and is a must-see at least once.

My method is stay for temple while having maybe a few drinks early.. but no more. Right after the temple burn, take some melatonin or something to crash and get a good night sleep. Have everything you can packed up and ready to go except for minimal sleeping things. Set alarm for 5:30am.. be driving out of camp by 6am Monday morning. 1-2-3 hour wait should be about right, and you avoid sitting in the dead heat of day.
junglesmacks

Postby JesseGrrl2009 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:28 pm

In that case, I would stay for the temple burn on Sunday for sure. As a first timer.. and hell.. as an any-timer.. it really completes the experience and is a must-see at least once.

Ooh, I didn't think about temple burn :shock: I definitely would like to see that.

)'( 2013 )'(
JesseGrrl2009

Postby Nipple » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:14 pm

*throws his Crisco out*
Nipple

Re: Shortening Exodus Oregon Trail

Postby lemur » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:02 pm

The recommended amount of food to take per adult was 150 pounds (68 kg) of flour, 20 pounds (9.1 kg) of corn meal, 50 pounds (23 kg) of bacon, 40 pounds (18 kg) of sugar, 10 pounds (4.5 kg) of coffee, 15 pounds (6.8 kg) of dried fruit, 5 pounds (2.3 kg) of salt, half a pound (0.25 kg) of saleratus (baking soda, baking powder leavening mix), 2 pounds (0.91 kg) of tea, 5 pounds (2.3 kg) of rice, and 15 pounds (6.8 kg) of beans. These provisions were usually kept in water-tight containers or barrels to minimize spoilage. The usual meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner along the trail was bacon, beans, and coffee, with biscuits or bread.[76] The typical cost of food for four people for six months was about $150.[77]
lemur

Postby BBadger » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:42 pm

oregontrail_dysentery.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby Savannah » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:11 pm

I remember someone reporting that they used to set the username "SOMEBODY" when playing Oregon Trail. Then she would see passive-aggressive little messages like:

SOMEBODY has snakebite.

SOMEBODY has died of measles.

:lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby JesseGrrl2009 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:20 am

BBadger wrote:
oregontrail_dysentery.png

Awww man :x I hate when this happens!

)'( 2013 )'(
JesseGrrl2009

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:53 am

Def'ly leave after the Man burns. Temple = boring, ludicrous, fake pseudo-religious forced solemnity. Plus it tends to incinerate migratory waterfowl. Spend the extra day at Lake Tahoe.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby ygmir » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:57 am

Bob wrote:Def'ly leave after the Man burns. Temple = boring, ludicrous, fake pseudo-religious forced solemnity. Plus it tends to incinerate migratory waterfowl. Spend the extra day at Lake Tahoe.

yeah, but, last year, I got to see an MV load of fratboys/sparkleponies, get all "solemn", then, as everyone else around them was quietly contemplating whatever.......scream "lets dance" and turn their dubstep way the hell up, dance, and point and laugh at those asking them to "be respectful".......

you can't pay for that kind of entertainment.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby JStep » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:46 am

Bob wrote:Def'ly leave after the Man burns. Temple = boring, ludicrous, fake pseudo-religious forced solemnity. Plus it tends to incinerate migratory waterfowl. Spend the extra day at Lake Tahoe.

Man, you gotta sit somewhere else or something. No one around me was like that at all at the last one.The most I heard were people yelling to stop the lasers. The lasers didn't bother me, I thought it was kind of pretty, so I just laughed.
~JStep
JStep

Postby JesseGrrl2009 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:40 am

Not the migratory waterfowl :shock: someone needs to setup a no fly zone! (ba dum ba ch!) horrible jokes strike again

)'( 2013 )'(
JesseGrrl2009

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:48 am

Bob.. You're wearing entirely too much red today.
junglesmacks

Postby BBadger » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:13 pm

Why can't those damn blue jays who squawk around my house at 5 AM get incinerated in the temple? I would stick around another day for that.

BBadger

Postby wh..sh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:40 pm

Can I at this point just slip in for a second and mention that the core project burn (circle of regional effigies) was somehow more impactful than man burn itself?

No? ok... I won't then.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby JStep » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:48 pm

wh..sh wrote:

Can I at this point just slip in for a second and mention that the core project burn (circle of regional effigies) was somehow more impactful than man burn itself?

No? ok... I won't then.

And it will be back!!
~JStep
JStep

Postby lemur » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:14 am

eh ... core burn didnt go to that one.. saw it from on top of the viewing place.. a bit, in the distance..

big burns 4 nights in a row.. *yawn*
lemur

Postby JesseGrrl2009 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Now what exactly is a core project burn? :shock:

)'( 2013 )'(
JesseGrrl2009

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:39 pm

JesseGrrl2009 wrote:Now what exactly is a core project burn? :shock:

http://www.burningman.com/installations ... _core.html
junglesmacks

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:39 pm

There were burns from twenty some regionals all at the same time. They had like a 50x50x50 cube that they could design and build themselves. Then they were put up in a big circle around the man and inner playa. I didn't go (I cannot behave at big burns) but a lot of people really liked it. And a lot of regionals got experience in running a project.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby lucky420 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:41 pm

I left around 3 in the afternoon on Sunday. Exodus line to the highway wasn't bad at all, maybe 1/2 hour. Once you get on the highway it will not be fast sailing at all due to the line of cars. I live about 120 miles from BRC and it would normally take 2 hours or less to get there. Going home it took me about 4 hours to get there.

It's weird for me living so close. When it's time to leave I am in a quandry, knowing my real bed is so close and it would feel really good to have a real shower and bed at home vs I live so close why not stay and not worry about a little extra time in exodus... :? Next year I'm gonna stay till tuesday!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Next

Return to Transportation