Anubis

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: Anubis

Postby VultureChow » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:41 pm

What about some sort of altar in front of it where people could offer sacrifices to be burned? That's what I always pictured at an Egyptian Temple. Priests and or priestesses could decide what were acceptable offerings (no bringing your trash to the burn barrel) and supplicants could get the "blessing" of Anubis (temporary tattoo, medallion???)
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:56 pm

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby HiBbY » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:06 am

WHAAAAAAAAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUCK that scompletely retarded "hey lets build a giant Anubis statue outside the airport to bring more damn tourists"
I didnt eve know about this and i live like 45 mins away from DIA. thats so freaking retarded. anubis is badass and all but how the hell does fucking Anubis represent Colorado?????? oh my god thats lame, sooooooooooooooooo damn lame
c = 1 gives the sequence 0, 1, 2, 5, 26,…, which tends to infinity...
HiBbY

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:16 am

HiBbY wrote:WHAAAAAAAAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUCK that scompletely retarded "hey lets build a giant Anubis statue outside the airport to bring more damn tourists"
I didnt eve know about this and i live like 45 mins away from DIA. thats so freaking retarded. anubis is badass and all but how the hell does fucking Anubis represent Colorado?????? oh my god thats lame, sooooooooooooooooo damn lame

Denver? Ever been there? Tutankhamun exhibition at the art museum, until January.

Museum? Ever heard of one?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby HiBbY » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:24 am

actually yes indeed i have, in fact i saw the Tutenkhamun exhibit in Manhattan last year it was chill, couple cool things, but they apparently didnt have the entire exhibit set up though so i probably missed a few things here and there, also saw it in denver, but it was set up so much differently and they had entirely different artifacts minus maybe 3. Zie'shie' ze bai men jwun ga'un jeshia?? eh snarc?
HiBbY

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:59 pm

3D Snakes Asps and Ladders... S-bends in the poles, mount them on bearings, put a ball pit at the bottom.

Inspect ball pit for digicams, sporks and loose swag at end of day.

Bob

Postby Nipple » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:01 pm

In Spokane, there is a street named "Funk"

On that street, there was a house. It became the Funk House.

I never lived there, but the people that did had a ball crawl. One night, during a power outage, they took a pickup to a local McDonalds and emptied the ball pit into the truck. Upon returning to the Funk House, they blocked off a room and installed the new ball crawl.

The things they found in that ball crawl upon moving out... horrible, terrible things. Horrors ghastly and unimaginable.

Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:20 pm

"I'd hit that ball pit," Tom said testily.

Bob

Postby HiBbY » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:46 am

XXD LOL gotta love ya milk duds
HiBbY

Postby chiefdanfox » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:39 pm

VultureChow wrote:What about some sort of altar in front of it where people could offer sacrifices to be burned? That's what I always pictured at an Egyptian Temple. Priests and or priestesses could decide what were acceptable offerings (no bringing your trash to the burn barrel) and supplicants could get the "blessing" of Anubis (temporary tattoo, medallion???)

I love this idea, but to burn, the project needs guardians. The newest design has the belly-chest area with a facade, temple-like, with stairs leading below. It would be very cool to do this idea, but it would need to be "scheduled". My experience with the Horse was that a lot of volunteers did not make their scheduled shifts, so like the back panel doors on the horse's legs, failures in engineering only exacerbates administrative failures.

I do like the idea of a great big, wide "dish" for burning "sacrifices", though. But I am not trying to horn in on the temple here. Let's be straight: I want to build a cool looking icon, and then watch it burn. I leave it to everyone else to place symbolism into the icon and the burning. I could pontificate on such things, but I really feel that art ceases to be such upon the artist's explanation. One of the finest pieces of art I have ever seen was being a part of the iron crew that built the Trojan Horse. Six weeks, assholes and elbows, baby. It was art in motion.
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:44 pm

Bob wrote:3D Snakes Asps and Ladders... S-bends in the poles, mount them on bearings, put a ball pit at the bottom.

Inspect ball pit for digicams, sporks and loose swag at end of day.

I get the last line, and I think I get the S-bends on the poles, but I do not understand the bearings. Are we talking about wobbly S-bend poles? I would add that folks bring bacon grease to steal the very last morsel of control from that clobbering fall into the painted on the floor ball pit.
chiefdanfox

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Newer playgrounds have stuff like this -- bearings top & bottom on a long bent pole would make for an interesting descent:

Bob

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7OCWo1dKrU&context=C3e339a1ADOEgsToPDskKpUvwY0MvOJrU8OkDxqsd0
Newest Fly-through. Changing the head to be curved, less Trojan Horsey. And there will be a pole.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7OCWo1dKrU&context=C3e339a1ADOEgsToPDskKpUvwY0MvOJrU8OkDxqsd0[/youtube]
chiefdanfox

Postby Snow » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:51 pm

apparently my absence from eplaya has not been fruitful!
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:29 am

chiefdanfox

Postby VultureChow » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:52 am

chiefdanfox wrote:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Anubis/109956135785586
Our Faceyspace page!

Beautiful. Seeing the update has totally made my day.

With just about everyone predicting the doom of BM: no theme camps or large art, a plague of 20k virgins with 40's looking for tits, it's nice to see that not everyone is shelving their plans.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks. Not shelving at all. We are starting to ramp it up now. The final design will probably be a little more bezier/curve than the present triangle, Trojan Horse rip-off. At this point my carpentry is still better than my Google Sketchup and video skills. We built the horse in 5 weeks, with a pretty minimal crew and lots of drop-in volunteers, so why not build the second half?
chiefdanfox

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:57 pm

Firstly, this is awesome. I especially like the incorporation of the catacombs. For some reason I'm picturing blacklights down there. That space definitely needs some sort of theme. Maybe somebody can paint the walls with heiroglyphics... maybe a story of Anubis's journey to the desert and his eventual apotheosis via self-immolation.

I also like the idea of lasers shooting straight upward from the ears, making a beacon of sorts and creating draw from a distance.

Also, if I'm looking at these images correctly, the eyes seem level with the viewing platform. Will the whites of the eyes be made of a one-way material so that people have a broader, more wide-angle view from the viewing platform?

Also, one thing caught my attention:

chiefdanfox wrote: ...I am hoping that by leaving it accessible 24/7 the congestion is mitigated....

Have you given much thought to where you'll request the work be placed? I can image the viewing platform getting pretty packed if it offers a good view the night of any of the bigger burns. Unless you're planning to burn Anubis before the man and the temple... Or maybe the firepole(s) will help with this?

Just throwing out ideas and seconding VultureChow's point: so many people are whining right now, it's refreshing that you guys are channeling your energies into what will surely be awesome!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:07 pm

ensimismada wrote:Firstly, this is awesome. I especially like the incorporation of the catacombs. For some reason I'm picturing blacklights down there. That space definitely needs some sort of theme. Maybe somebody can paint the walls with heiroglyphics... maybe a story of Anubis's journey to the desert and his eventual apotheosis via self-immolation.

Blacklights=DONE. I love that idea! DONE. I would love it if you would paint that story. Why not provide BL paint and let everyone paint the inside? Thank you! Brilliant idea. This piece is a collective piece for sure!
chiefdanfox

Postby AbundantChoice » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:23 pm

Get this guy to perform before (or heck, DURING) the burn! I mean, how can you go wrong with "A lost love affair, ancient Egypt, pyramids and skies on fire, a young queen, magic, the afterlife, Anubis, the Underworld, Vampires."

Seriously though, your piece looks *awesome*. I can't wait to see it, changes or no changes. It already looks pretty awesome.
All Black Holes Begin As Stars.
AbundantChoice

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:31 pm

chiefdanfox wrote:
ensimismada wrote:Firstly, this is awesome. I especially like the incorporation of the catacombs. For some reason I'm picturing blacklights down there. That space definitely needs some sort of theme. Maybe somebody can paint the walls with heiroglyphics... maybe a story of Anubis's journey to the desert and his eventual apotheosis via self-immolation.

Blacklights=DONE. I love that idea! DONE. I would love it if you would paint that story. Why not provide BL paint and let everyone paint the inside? Thank you! Brilliant idea. This piece is a collective piece for sure!

Thank you! As a burgin, a shiver just went down my spine: I actually made a contribution! If this what being a participant means I think I like it! :D

They make handheld blacklight lamps for looking for scorpions in the desert (scorpions fluoresce under UV) - by hooking up UV hurricane lamps or flashlights or "torches," maybe you could give visitors the sense they're exploring catacombs. When the UV light is passed over the UV paintings on white walls, suddenly the hieroglyphs are revealed! The burner-explorers could reveal the story, step by step, and then add their own bit at the end with provided paint. "I survived the curse of Anubis" or some such.

San Diego is a bit far from Oakland, otherwise I'd definitely offer to help more concretely. I could maybe come up for a work weekend, though.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.

BoyScoutGirl

Postby gibson_ » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:37 am

Did you see the building with the white canvas and and the UV lasers about halfway between 9:00 and the man last year?

They had UV iridescent paint on the canvas [the walls], and UV lasers that you could use to draw on them. Basically wherever the laser touches the wall stays lit up for a few minutes. It could be *really* cool to incorporate that into the hieroglyphics (if you're talking about letting people paint their own).
gibson_

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Nice walk-through.

Magnetic primer is pricey, but would allow for moveable cutout heiroglyphs as well as sidewalk chalk. Provide a crypto key for deciphering.

Or just glue them on as bas-reliefs, roll plain old recycled paint over it and let people chalk that up.

Must be some Egyptologists in the woodwork...

Bob

Postby lemur » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:18 pm

gibson_ wrote:Did you see the building with the white canvas and and the UV lasers about halfway between 9:00 and the man last year?

that thing was way cool... glow in the dark fabric ...

even if there werent any of the glow in the dark stuff.. it was just a cool structure (i only saw it at night, ..dont remember seeing it in the daytime) i had never seen anything like that fabric at that scale before..

would be interesting to see that material used more often as there are probably some very interesting ways to use it
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: UV laser painting, Camera obscura

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:37 pm

I would assume, given their much shorter wavelengths, that UV lasers are even more dangerous to the eyes than the red, blue, and green laser pointers people were opining about in other threads? If so, I imagine using UV lasers in close quarters could be tricky. But then again, "rule of cool" + "safety third" = too awesome of an idea to pass up. Glowing graffiti, what isn't there to like?

So everybody also likes the camera obscura idea. My (ableit limited) understanding of these devices says you need a flat place to project the image, often a table. Putting the table on the viewing platform defeats the point because there's already a great view and it takes up room. So the projection table will be far below the lens that's gathering the image (this also allows people in wheelchairs and more participants in general when the catacombs and platform are full). There was mention of an offering dish at Anubis's feet. What if the sacrificial altar surface were the projection screen for the camera? That way, you've got something to do outside the statue, at the base/on the stairs and it keeps the catacombs from being crowded by both camera-gazers and hieroglyphics fiends.

Now here's where my suggestion get sneaky: don't give control of the lens to the viewers below. Have the lens/periscope pivoted by the people on the viewing platform (or possibly the stairs via pulleys?). Using a voice communication tube (like on old-timey ships) would give a way for the above and below to communicate.

Also, because of the mirror set-up, doesn't the projected image move the opposite direction as the actual lens (like a microscope)? If so, that would really ramp up the fun and the need for strong communication between above and below.

Also, if the underworld/catacombs are going to be mysterious and exploratory, I should think any music/sound effects should be subtle, along the lines of sand, dripping water, the squeak of bats, etc. Any sort of sound that the image of a 50' dog-god idol in the desert conjures up. Despite the presence of UV lights, we shouldn't distract from that feeling of discovery with whub, whub, whub.

Looking this over, this artwork seems to define four spaces: the catacombs below, the space around (including the steps in front and the ground around, where the initial impressions are made), the stairs and ladder up to the viewing platform, and the viewing platform itself. Each space can serve a different purpose, but I think the overall experience will be enhanced if they're tied together well. For example, if people enter from below and there are hieroglyphs below, then maybe continue the story up the spiral staircase. The images don't have to be big or noticeable from a distance, but they could be conversation starters as people wait in line on the stairs.

Man, this is so cool.

BoyScoutGirl

Postby chiefdanfox » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:41 am

These are all good ideas.
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Promo movie with the new model.
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:04 pm

We want people to add hieroglyphs to the piece. Unsure of the size, but at least 6" x 6". attached to the outside of the platform, and to the stairwells. No limit to the number of glyphs made. They can be made from any material, and are a personal glyph or glyphic story.
chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:05 pm

chiefdanfox

Postby gibson_ » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Hey chiefdanfox,

Not to bring up _that_ topic, but on the uncertainty of getting out to the desert this year, is it still cool to sign up if I'm unsure if I'll be out there?

God damn this thing is cool :-D -- I can't wait to see it :)
gibson_

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Art & Performance