whats with the hippie/raver hate

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: whats with the hippie/raver hate

Postby wh..sh » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:41 pm

moonrise wrote:Burner = Good Human Being

Small correction -

Long time Burner = Good Human Being
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby moonrise » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Haha, no you don't...ya think yer gonna hit the top of the page and spoil my fun wh..sh, heh heh... No way!

Now can we touch upon Yippies, Frats, Weekenders, Racoons and the ooooh so many more secret whispered labels, please.....hahaha...it's fun.

moonrise wrote:Redneck = BIGOT! (don't even try to deny it, lmfao!) You self proclaimed "Rednecks" might want to try to find a better term for yourselves.

Gypsies = trouble!

Mooching Hippie = Bad Hippie

Good Hippie = Hippie (not spelled Hippy btw, duh)

Raver = Very High

Burner = Good Human Being
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:56 pm

wh..sh wrote:
moonrise wrote:Burner = Good Human Being

Small correction -

Long time Burner = Good Human Being

Smaller correction: Burners = no better or worse than the rest of us, although they are probably less harried at the burn.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:59 pm

Hippies = Degenerates. No good hippie exists, and the very concept of a hippie is negative. The term "hippie" is like "parasite"; however, there is no possible symbiotic relationship with respect to hippies (though they try to provide that illusion by providing their "insights"). People confuse "hippie-like" people with being "hippies." The former simply look the part but don't have the fatal flaw of the latter: no useful contribution to society.

Redneck = Poor, uneducated, white, generally Southern folk. They're red because they stay out in the sun too long. Does not necessarily imply white trash or bigotry, but rather just poor and relatively backwards people. Racism connotations are relatively recent.

Burner = Someone who has gone to Burning Man, and goes to Burning Man. Nothing implied about the person being good, though it is often assumed. In fact there is evidence that many Burners are in fact "bad" people especially when it comes to concepts of MOOPing, a sense of seniority, entitlement, exclusion, and whining. Indicator of "bad" burner: insists on stating how many years he/she has attended. Maybe not bad, just reflective of the fact that they're just normal people.

Raver = Person who doesn't contribute, but just comes to party. Ravers are like decorations, and generally harmless, provided they are well lit.

Darktard = Person who takes no efforts to make him/herself visible to other people with lights. Dangerous person who should be run over by vehicles, but would probably cause more damage to the other person in the same way that drunk people end up killing anybody but themselves.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby moonrise » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:25 am

Yes! Let's not be shy here folks....keep 'em coming please! This can be fuuuuuun... :P [I like 'hippie-like']
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:36 am

I have to admit that as a person living in the South, it's interesting hearing from non-southerners what your definition of a "redneck" is..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby teardropper » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:41 am

moonrise wrote:Now can we touch upon Yippies

Oh dear... I knew you'd get on to us... Oh dear...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby JStep » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:31 am

BBadger wrote:Jew = Degenerates. No good jew exists, and the very concept of a jew is negative. The term "jew" is like "parasite"; however, there is no possible symbiotic relationship with respect to jews (though they try to provide that illusion by providing their "insights"). People confuse "jew-like" people with being "jews." The former simply look the part but don't have the fatal flaw of the latter: no useful contribution to society.

Wow man, like chill out dude....
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:50 am

Being Jewey is a lifestyle choice. Being hippie is a genetic mistake.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby HiBbY » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:03 am

i dig this post :::) its what ive been trying to get through to people for eeeeeeeeeeever man. ttheres so much feud between "hippies and ravers" yet the funny part about it is most people who attend burning man dig on the majority of the same style of music, or music that has some kind of resemblance to the other, for example, dubstep is just simple trance, with an offbeat tempo, compression and simplified work and mainly uses LFO. still techno, just techno written in a different way, just as at one point rock became a variation of jazz and blues. BURNERS UNITE!!!!! we all go to BM for the same reasons, to cut loose, do what we enjoy doing, and listen to the kind of music we like listening to. If you go to BM to trash peoples week, then in my eyes, your no burner, i go to burning man to enjoy myself, as should everyone. we dont need pointless bullshit cutting in the way of our lives.
c = 1 gives the sequence 0, 1, 2, 5, 26,…, which tends to infinity...
HiBbY

Postby JStep » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:04 am

Bob wrote:Being Jewey is a lifestyle choice. Being hippie is a genetic mistake.

Far out man, so what we really need are more Kent State events... Here I thought Ann Coulter was a loudmouthed bimbo.
~JStep
JStep

Postby HiBbY » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:08 am

JStep wrote:

Far out man, so what we really need are more Kent State events... Here I thought Ann Coulter was a loudmouthed bimbo.

D::: dude why on earth would we want some kind of event to come to pass again? i live in colorado and had 4 of my good friends die in the columbine shooting, its horrible, sure its the only thing that seems to get through to all those americans out there who are "too busy" to give a shit, but still, wishing death apon someone is a horrible thing, and not in the way that graffiti or drugs is a horrible thing to a government. its a crime that should never happen, the last thing we need is humans killing humans
HiBbY

Postby JStep » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:12 am

HiBbY wrote: dubstep is just simple trance, with an offbeat tempo, compression and simplified work and mainly uses LFO.

Huh?

Trance is 130 to 140 BPM and that's about where the similarities end. Trance is 4 on the floor, always. Dubstep is a highly syncopated beat in half-time to the 140 BPM tempo. Trance is built on progressive synth lines highly filtered and with delay added. Dubstep is built on acid synth lines alternating with distorted wobbly bass parts. Points for the use of the term LFO though, lol.
~JStep
JStep

Postby JStep » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:15 am

HiBbY wrote:
JStep wrote:

D::: dude why on earth would we want some kind of event to come to pass again? i live in colorado and had 4 of my good friends die in the columbine shooting, its horrible, sure its the only thing that seems to get through to all those americans out there who are "too busy" to give a shit, but still, wishing death apon someone is a horrible thing, and not in the way that graffiti or drugs is a horrible thing to a government. its a crime that should never happen, the last thing we need is humans killing humans

Pssst. "satire". I'm playing off the indiscriminate hatred of hippies by substituting the word jew and rolling with it. Don't tell anyone.
~JStep
JStep

Postby HiBbY » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:19 am

:::D there is much more than one way to write dub my freind i write it in 60 bpm for one :::D but thats not my point my point is is all music is another form of some kind of music that someone else has heard in the past, you could track music back in time all the way to chro-magna if you wanted to. doesnt mnatter how its written, just matters that its being written.
and satire? cant really say you could use that as a derogatory term for me :::D cant remember a time when ive ridiculed a person for being who they are, only against vile statements that could potentially cause people to harm themselves or fell negatively toward someone.
HiBbY

Postby JStep » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:44 am

HiBbY wrote::::D there is much more than one way to write dub my freind i write it in 60 bpm for one :::D but thats not my point my point is is all music is another form of some kind of music that someone else has heard in the past, you could track music back in time all the way to chro-magna if you wanted to. doesnt mnatter how its written, just matters that its being written.
and satire? cant really say you could use that as a derogatory term for me :::D cant remember a time when ive ridiculed a person for being who they are, only against vile statements that could potentially cause people to harm themselves or fell negatively toward someone.

Obviously there's no "correct" method, but making dubstep in half time to 140 is how you get that level of syncopation where the beat seems to be both slow and fast at the same time, where the wobbles carry the tempo "inside" the drum patterns. You could track it at 70 BPM and then double-time the bass and other sounds I suppose, but you lose the definition of all those extra tics between each beat.

And the only thing I'm ridiculing is generalization, prejudice and the demonization of people based on externally applied labels. "I'll call you a hippy, cause it's fashionable to hate hippies, now I can justify hating you where before I had to come up with a specific reason/s."
~JStep
JStep

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:45 am

HiBbY wrote:...majority of the same style of music, or music that has some kind of resemblance to the other, for example, dubstep is just simple trance...

I don't like hippie music and I don't like disco/dj/whateverthefuck either. And I'm sick of the aural pollution produced by both of those camps.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby JStep » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:50 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
HiBbY wrote:...majority of the same style of music, or music that has some kind of resemblance to the other, for example, dubstep is just simple trance...

I don't like hippie music and I don't like disco/dj/whateverthefuck either. And I'm sick of the aural pollution produced by both of those camps.

Oh Fishy, you hater! Smooches!
~JStep
JStep

Postby tamarakay » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:34 am

junglesmacks wrote:I have to admit that as a person living in the South, it's interesting hearing from non-southerners what your definition of a "redneck" is..

I'm with you on this one. Interesting how our own slang terms get reinterpreted.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby lucky420 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:00 pm

the last thing we need is humans killing humans

Well the world is getting a bit overcrowded...okay go ahead and hate me now

jk
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

MY NAME IS SKRILLESSKI

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:20 pm

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby teardropper » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:12 pm

HiBbY wrote:theres so much feud between "hippies and ravers"

First of all, there's nothing 'between' hippies and ravers. If anything, it's the same as default, it's the rednecks and they don't like anyone... like hippies or ravers. Since '67 I've been misidentified as a hippie. Yeah, it happens... The threads title asks what's with the "hippie/raver" hate. I don't think it's 'between' them. It's why are they hated. So let's not start anything else -- unless I've been missing some high level hate. As I've heard it used on the playa, 'hippie' is a term a derision, but not hate, as applied to an individual who exhibits any of the above negative attributes of what are called hippies. Like finding yourself unprepared for something or playa-challenged in some way. It's mostly a friendly ribbing. But, then, I know so few personally the group called 'hippie', which I guess are young. I never considered myself part of this group, because I'm old, prepared and bring a small theme camp. But it seems some bring stereotypes, here, that should have been lost years, maybe a generation, ago. You know, I don't really get it, but the First Principle says I getta' go... 'cause I can afford it.

And OH, by the way, get the fuck off my lawn, hippie...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby lucky420 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:04 pm

Oh pooh! I was waiting for someone to jump out of that huge cake...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby 5280MeV » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:45 pm

I don't quite understand how the modern term for hippie came about, which is just a catch all for anyone who looks some combination of country, granola, and unkempt, and displays most or all of the stereotypes associated with people that might actually call themselves hippies.

My theory is that it evolved from a sort of unspoken 'disco-sucks' movement from around 2000 or so when Phish stopped touring and the whole dreadlock-hackysack-patchworktrouser-trustafarian look went out of style. After that everyone started talking about hippies the way you might hear a social conservative from 1965 ranting.

As for ravers, *everyone* hates ravers, even ravers. I did the whole raver thing around 2000 when all of my friends were looking all dreadlocky and corduroyish and dancing to jam bands. Jam bands didn't make me want to move - I never got it. I meandered around from old industrial to warp records type stuff to breakbeat to the ever popular trance at the time and finally listened to way too much drum and bass which seemed to paint itself so far into a corner that everything pretty much did become the same - at least as far as I was hearing. But we never called the raves raves because raves were out of fashion. I just wore giant fucking pants until I finished college and stopped going to all night 'parties'. But I can't stop listening to house and techno, I don't think that I ever can. Nothing else works for me, not for long. I sometimes try to listen to guitar&vocals music for a few months and then it is back to whatever lovechild of house and techno is being overplayed to death at the moment. If a raver is someone who doesn't want to imagine a world where computers are not there to make sweet sweet music, then I am a raver.
5280MeV

Postby 48_love » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:45 pm

self loathing (i'd have to think) explains a lot of it, too
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:38 pm

resistance is fertile.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:57 pm

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby BBadger » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:44 am

Direct the hippies to the Rainbow Gathering. Nuke from orbit.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby HiBbY » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:42 am

That burns man and not in the good way, got lots of friends in rainbow fam man. my point is just this. does it really matter who the hell we are. burners are far different from average americans. we take pride in ourselves because we do shit that would drive average americans bonkers. if we divide ourselves from each other whats the point in being different? what makes us any better from all of them? hm? we should love each other for our differences, not hate. hate is what tears all great nations, families and friendships apart. Hate is pointless. its mindless anger focused on one group of people due to an emotional upset that some people cant look at and say "oh shit you know what this is a complete ass hat" the only thing i hate is hate, that is how it should be. BURNERS UNITE!!!!!!
HiBbY

Postby ygmir » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:39 am

HiBbY wrote:That burns man and not in the good way, got lots of friends in rainbow fam man. my point is just this. does it really matter who the hell we are. burners are far different from average americans. we take pride in ourselves because we do shit that would drive average americans bonkers. if we divide ourselves from each other whats the point in being different? what makes us any better from all of them? hm? we should love each other for our differences, not hate. hate is what tears all great nations, families and friendships apart. Hate is pointless. its mindless anger focused on one group of people due to an emotional upset that some people cant look at and say "oh shit you know what this is a complete ass hat" the only thing i hate is hate, that is how it should be. BURNERS UNITE!!!!!!

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks