friends/foes

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

friends/foes

Postby ygmir » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:44 am

is there a way, to tell who's "friended" you, and who's "plonked" you?

I look in my profile, and it seems to only show who I've "friended" ,......I've never plonked anyone.
But, it doesn't show, anyone who's friended me. Or plonked me.
Or, at least, I can't find that info.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: friends/foes

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:11 am

As far as I'm aware, no. It's not a feature I have any experience using, and the PHPBB documentation in the category is all marked as "TODO" - but doing some quick digging it appears that you don't have visibility on other peoples' friends lists, unless the board's been modified to make them public (ours is not).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Boijoy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:02 pm

You could start a thread and ask YG. could be fun! :)
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby ygmir » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:13 pm

hhmm, intersting:

"who's friended, or foed me"?

seems a little narcissistic, though.........unless it could somehow be, where everyone felt like sharing who's on what list.

I almost remember, a thread related to plonking...........something like "have you plonked anyone?".

*checking*

ah, here it is.

I wonder if this'd work?

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=38301&p=618197&hilit=have+you+plonked+anyone#p618197
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:33 am

The friend / foe list is invaluable on this forum. I recently made use of it and the threads look much better, it also saves you time since you dont have to read as much. The only flaw is the inability to block a mod, but you could always just refuse to respond to their posts and pms if one singles you out. Most of the mods here are decent, but not everyone is gonna get along with everyone else. As far as Yg wanting to be able to view.. I dunno, I think its good to have it pvt so that the person you have been driven to ignore can keep wasting time trying to direct things your way. Not only does it drive the ignored person batty but it also serves to save other folks from being bothered. As long as they are on the warpath with someone ignoring them it saves the rest of the community from being hassled if only for a brief time.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby Sham » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:44 am

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:The friend / foe list is invaluable on this forum. I recently made use of it and the threads look much better, it also saves you time since you dont have to read as much. The only flaw is the inability to block a mod, but you could always just refuse to respond to their posts and pms if one singles you out. Most of the mods here are decent, but not everyone is gonna get along with everyone else. As far as Yg wanting to be able to view.. I dunno, I think its good to have it pvt so that the person you have been driven to ignore can keep wasting time trying to direct things your way. Not only does it drive the ignored person batty but it also serves to save other folks from being bothered. As long as they are on the warpath with someone ignoring them it saves the rest of the community from being hassled if only for a brief time.

I follow what you're saying, but it appears that in just a very few days of posting here, you have made a huge amount of "foes". I don't think anyone is being driven batty by postings here. I have been on these boards for 8 years, and have NEVER needed to mark anyone a foe.
You appear to have been on this forum here before under another name. Care to share?
Sham

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 am

Mods can't be plonked because part of our job is contacting people to resolve issues that may be occurring (breaking the ToS, attacking another user, using someones real name, a series of combative posts etc). A note in a PM is a lot politer & more adult that calling someone out in the middle of a thread, and we try to do it very judiciously. I wasn't the one who PM'd you and we don't share a brain, so I can't address the specific situation.

If you (or any member of the board) feel a mod is "singling" you out, please let either Trilobyte (our Fearless Leader) or another mod know so we can look into it.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:15 am

Sorry, but no. You can't foe/block/plonk us, and we can't foe/block/plonk you. If you don't care for the individual's personal opinions and viewpoints, just skip their posts as you would an article from a columnist you can't stand in a newspaper. As for a private message from a mod, yeah you need to read it (regardless of any personal issues, that person is a mod and may be writing in an objective, official capacity). If you feel a member of the mod team is treating you unfairly, then reach out to one of the other members of the mod team through private message to express your concerns.

As of this writing, the ePlaya moderator team consists of myself, Bay Bridge Sue, mdmf007, Eric, Savannah, and Shambala. AntiM's officially retired from active duty, but remains as moderator emeritus.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby BBadger » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:10 am

The inability to plonk mods is a good reason why I'm not a mod!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Risky » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:00 am

The foe feature has some problems.
You can plonk members so that you cannot see their posts, but they can still send you pm's.
There seems no way to completely block someone, at least with the system before this.

Has this new system changed that?
Risky

Postby jkisha » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:05 am

What is the benefit of friending someone?

And since the new board, I haven't plonked anybody. (except for awhile I was plonking spammers when the board was overrun with them)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:03 pm

Currently, not a lot. There are some plans in the works for future versions of the site software that would add functionality (notifications/subscriptions to friends' posts or when they're online, etc), but no word on specifics or timetable.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby jkisha » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:08 pm

trilobyte wrote:Currently, not a lot. There are some plans in the works for future versions of the site software that would add functionality (notifications/subscriptions to friends' posts or when they're online, etc), but no word on specifics or timetable.

That would be nice.

Also, has "live chat" been suggested as a feature? Not private chats, but like shutouts or ongoing group conversations involving anyone that is logged in, should they want to comment. Usually there's a box at the top of the page for this on forums I've seen it implemented on.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby A Jester » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:03 pm

Eric wrote:Mods can't be plonked because part of our job is contacting people to resolve issues that may be occurring (breaking the ToS, attacking another user, using someones real name, a series of combative posts etc). A note in a PM is a lot politer & more adult that calling someone out in the middle of a thread, and we try to do it very judiciously. I wasn't the one who PM'd you and we don't share a brain, so I can't address the specific situation.

If you (or any member of the board) feel a mod is "singling" you out, please let either Trilobyte (our Fearless Leader) or another mod know so we can look into it.

What if I feel like Trilobyte is singling me out?

I keep trying to send him subtLE messages in my posTS, but he keeps ignoring theM. I have no choicE but to bEcome more and more obvious and iTs jUst getting Pretty Freakin' awkward. I knOw that most of the boaRd is a bit put off by How he is treAting me, and I think it'S Time for it to end. YoU might Not share a brain, but COMe on, you know each other pretty well. FOR my parT, I am ABLE to SEE that some sort of heX has been put uPon Me. FOR what it's worth, My pErsonal Findings with regards tO tRilo May nOt REpresent the fINdings Of others.

Sorry if this is me hijacking the pimp's thread,... Though, I figure if I'm not plonked yet I probably will be soon, so no big deal.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby BBadger » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Having a simple style change on the friend's posts to highlight them (much like the spam is) would be nice. At least this board is updatable with nice features and the admins don't seem asleep at the wheel as much as before.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby AntiM » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:25 am

Risky wrote:The foe feature has some problems.
You can plonk members so that you cannot see their posts, but they can still send you pm's.
There seems no way to completely block someone, at least with the system before this.

Has this new system changed that?

The old eplaya was the same, ignore to posts OR block PMs, but not both.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:27 pm

BBadger wrote:Having a simple style change on the friend's posts to highlight them (much like the spam is) would be nice. At least this board is updatable with nice features and the admins don't seem asleep at the wheel as much as before.

That's because Trilobyte is doing a lot of the Admin functions now. Before it wasn't so much "asleep at the wheel" as "benign neglect"- they wanted ePlaya to work well but it wasn't a priority for the resources to make that happen.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby BBadger » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:49 am

Well I am thankful that they even gave up some admin access to allow him to do it. Some admins get possessive about their power no matter how misappropriated it is.

BBadger

Postby jkisha » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:48 am

I want to go on record saying that I think that the current admins on this board are doing as close to perfect of a job as possible. My only criteria for making this judgement is that the board is now running smoothly and no one is really aware there is any moderation going on at all.
JK
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:21 pm

jkisha wrote:I want to go on record saying that I think that the current admins on this board are doing as close to perfect of a job as possible. My only criteria for making this judgement is that the board is now running smoothly and no one is really aware there is any moderation going on at all.

Don't make me regret having said this! viewtopic.php?f=56&t=52811&view=unread#unread
JK
jkisha

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:52 pm

jkisha wrote:
jkisha wrote:I want to go on record saying that I think that the current admins on this board are doing as close to perfect of a job as possible. My only criteria for making this judgement is that the board is now running smoothly and no one is really aware there is any moderation going on at all.

Don't make me regret having said this! viewtopic.php?f=56&t=52811&view=unread#unread

JK- we always have to be careful with a thread about individual users as they should never become discussions about that person. The generalized plonking and foes threads have been fine so far, and the CSS thread may be reopened depending on further conversations.

There will always be times where moderation is visible to the general board and not just to an individual via PM's (or spam whacking), the goal is to keep the board running as smoothly as possible. Based on your quote I think we're mostly succeeding in that.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby jkisha » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:05 pm

I respectfully disagree with your decision on this one.
JK
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:56 am

jkisha wrote:I respectfully disagree with your decision on this one.

Didn't we get on this merry-go-round a couple of months ago, and the mods released it a bit later. Maybe we should give them longer than overnight this time.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
jkisha wrote:I respectfully disagree with your decision on this one.

Didn't we get on this merry-go-round a couple of months ago, and the mods released it a bit later. Maybe we should give them longer than overnight this time.

Ya, but somehow I don't think it will be happening on this one. Why, I'm not exactly sure.
JK
jkisha

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:24 pm

While it's probably best to keep one from knowing who has plonked them (in the interest of maintaining (relative) peace), it might be useful to for each person to know how many people have plonked them. Sometimes social cues can be tricky even IRL, possibly even worse online... being able to see if one has been plonked a lot, or if one's plonkings have suddenly gone through the roof, might help people gauge and adjust their annoyingness level. And by "one," I mean "me," obviously :oops: :roll:. Alternately, some shy people might feel a bit more confident if they can see that they've not been plonked.
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby trilobyte » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:44 am

For now, assume it to be some number between 0 and 38,397 ;)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests