Curious about two apps with duplicate credit card numbers

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Curious about two apps with duplicate credit card numbers

Postby Minxy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:42 am

The thread viewtopic.php?f=290&t=52613&p=768358#p768358 brought up a question for me that I didn't think was appropriate for that thread. I don't see it addressed on the ticketing page or FAQ either.

If a husband and wife both apply for two tickets (say the family has four members attending...I have two children) but the credit cards they are using have the same number...will that fly?

We both have credit cards with our own names on them, however the numbers are the same. My daughter has one as well, so if she were to apply for her own ticket instead of us doing it, it would be three applications with the same credit card number but different names.

Definitely something good to know before the sale begins. We would greatly prefer to use this credit account as it's our preferred card but I also don't want to risk getting flagged as a scalper.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Re: Curious about two apps with duplicate credit card number

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:09 am

No it will not. You can have multiple family members (or housemates) registering from the same address, but the name and credit card numbers must be unique. Perhaps you could use that card to purchase a pre-paid card to use for the additional registration.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BBadger » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:15 am

trilobyte wrote:No it will not. You can have multiple family members (or housemates) registering from the same address, but the name and credit card numbers must be unique. Perhaps you could use that card to purchase a pre-paid card to use for the additional registration.

Is that the official policy: that the anti-gaming algorithms aren't going to penalize people who reside at the same billing address, but with different cards and names?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:29 am

That is the official policy, yes.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Minxy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:00 am

Thanks for the info, trilobyte. :)
Minxy

Postby JStep » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:52 pm

trilobyte wrote:No it will not. You can have multiple family members (or housemates) registering from the same address, but the name and credit card numbers must be unique. Perhaps you could use that card to purchase a pre-paid card to use for the additional registration.

That's a huge snag. All a scalper then has to do is buy a bunch of prepaid cards and enter a different name with each registration. This is one reason you can't use a prepaid card with most online payment processors, there's no way to confirm the identity of the card holder like there is with credit cards. (And even when using in a non-fraudulent way, if you require a refund it would go back to the card, which most people throw away so you'd lose the money.)
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Minxy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:06 pm

It's too bad it doesn't clarify this in the FAQ as I can't be the only spouse whose credit card number is the same as my husbands. Our own names are on the cards but it's the same number. I'd hate to see other deserving people lose out because they didn't know. =/
Minxy

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:46 pm

JStep wrote:

That's a huge snag. All a scalper then has to do is buy a bunch of prepaid cards and enter a different name with each registration. This is one reason you can't use a prepaid card with most online payment processors, there's no way to confirm the identity of the card holder like there is with credit cards. (And even when using in a non-fraudulent way, if you require a refund it would go back to the card, which most people throw away so you'd lose the money.)

You haven't been here, but the cards have to be registered to a name. The procedure is gone through in a couple of places.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion