Occupy Black Rock City

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby Eric » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:27 pm

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:Out of 8 years I only used the ice camp twice and have never purchased from Center Camp. I was glad for the having ice available but could have lived without it. Radical Self Reliance means planning your burn without dependance on ice availability.


Some of us like the convenience of Artica & their ice- especially at a bar camp when you don't want to haul out huge fridges & generators to keep the beer cool (not everyone wants warm beer). You can be as macho as you want & not use it.

Radical Self Reliance means being self reliant- it doesn't mean having to follow the Diktat of someone elses version of what it means. If someone plans on using Artica they should also have a backup in case they can't get ice there for some reason, but there's no reason not to make Plan A getting ice from them if that's what they want.

Personally, I keep my vodka cold in the freezer of the RV, my mixers in the fridge. Don't need the ice except for the bar. Got the RV genny & a backup. All good to go.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 7103
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby BBadger » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:27 pm

I'd normally be against (read: not prefer to) standing in line to buy expensive ice, but our coolers weren't up to snuff this past year and we had to keep a bunch of "fresh" vegetables unspoiled for a Thursday night meal. This year we'll have a big insulated cooler, so maybe we won't need to pay out the nose for ice. I do wonder if having no option to buy ice would encourage people to find better insulated coolers and/or just settle for foods that don't need refrigeration.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3954
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby lemur » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:43 pm

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:Radical Self Reliance means planning your burn without dependance on ice availability.


so i assume you bring your own potty?



and your own medical care?


and police protection?
Don't link to anything here!
User avatar
lemur
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Madagascar
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:45 pm

For some reason I'm picturing Ayn Rand and Naomi Wolf colliding in midair in a cloud of pepper spray.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby 5280MeV » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:06 pm

lemur wrote:so i assume you bring your own potty?


I don't even want to imagine Black Rock City if radical self reliance was pushed all the way to its smelly extreme. We would have to rename it Black Water City. This would, however, quickly solve the selling-out issues.

The ice always made sense to me as well from a surface-area to volume perspective. It just makes sense to keep most ice in a large central location and distribute it daily. Otherwise one is just wasting more ice than necessary.

I never understood the coffee exception though. Something about people from the bay area and not killing each other?
Image
User avatar
5280MeV
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:32 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby lemur » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:12 pm

the official rationalization seems to be something like:

'some people need a central place where other people are that the only requisite to feel involved is buying a coffee and hangin out'


we might be a city of theme camps but for the some of the uninitiated those places arent nearly as welcoming as center camp cafe can be.. and we dont want to push people away because they werent brave enough to walk in to your creepy dome. do we?!
Don't link to anything here!
User avatar
lemur
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Madagascar
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:19 pm

Truth is, FEMA OHS requires the Cafe in case of emergency for incarcerating evil doers.
Last edited by Bob on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby unjonharley » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:19 pm

lemur wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:Radical Self Reliance means planning your burn without dependance on ice availability.


so i assume you bring your own potty?



and your own medical care?


and police protection?


I bring my own toilet.. I pay ins for Life Flight.. I camp through the year in the wilds.. Knowing the risks and taking them..I camp without a gun at Burning man..Anywhere else I can handle it. Yes I am mean enough to do my own surgery if needed..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8787
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:46 pm

Bob wrote:For some reason I'm picturing Ayn Rand and Naomi Wolf colliding in midair in a cloud of pepper spray.

Oh! I want to see that movie!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37396
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:36 pm

lemur wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:Radical Self Reliance means planning your burn without dependance on ice availability.


so i assume you bring your own potty?



and your own medical care?


and police protection?


5 gal pail toilet and kitty litter... check
med kit... check
police protection... ch... huh
what on earth would I need a cop for at burningman that my rape whistle and size 12 boot couldnt handle?

Sry mate, every time I have been to BRC I only see cops hasslin the druggies. You mean to tell us that in BRC the cops are there to protect us. HA. I'd like to think we do a damn fine job of that ourselves with the Rangers and our fellow citizens.
BlackRockCityPimp
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 am
Location: Tent

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:40 pm

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:what on earth would I need a cop for at burningman that my rape whistle and size 12 boot couldnt handle?

And once again I am bereft.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37396
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:41 pm

unjonharley wrote:
lemur wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:Radical Self Reliance means planning your burn without dependance on ice availability.


so i assume you bring your own potty?



and your own medical care?


and police protection?


I bring my own toilet.. I pay ins for Life Flight.. I camp through the year in the wilds.. Knowing the risks and taking them..I camp without a gun at Burning man..Anywhere else I can handle it. Yes I am mean enough to do my own surgery if needed..


I use insurance too and also dont bring a gun. I do however know many people that do bring a gun into BRC and keep them secured, old habit die hard I guess. I feel much safer in BRC than any other city on earth and I like knowing that in most areas of BRC people are looking out for each other. I would be more inclined to trust one of own Rangers than LEO if I get dosed in BRC.
BlackRockCityPimp
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 am
Location: Tent

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby lemur » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:44 pm

cops are only good for their guns.. you guys are right
Don't link to anything here!
User avatar
lemur
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Madagascar
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby Nipple » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:14 am

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:Great idea, added to the list. Arctica is on par with Center camp bringing commodification to our community and reducing RSR. As I understand it Arctica was foisted upon the community by the feds when the community grew. Maybe someone familiar with that can porovide specifics as to the deets. Protesting the trash fence is a good idea, about as effective as peacefully protesting wall street banksters. The trash fence while being a good place to snag a nifty hat thats blown off someones head does nothing to stop moop of the worst sort that goes right past and collects somewhere most participants dont bother with. Speaking of which.. does playa restoration handle anything outside of the fence? As far as protesting other themecamps I would prefer only to protest the ones thats offer nothing to the community, the private circle the wagons rv collectives that charge thousands to camp in and have managed to get in early and setup in public camping areas reserving space for campmates that cant make it until Friday.


No no no no no! Too serious. Less serious. More funny.

Hint: If you're less serious, and more funny with it at Burning Man, you win more hearts and minds, than being some crazy guy who is mad at the people selling them ice. Don't be mad at them. Be mad at the stilt bar for only allowing tall people in. They're like LESS than 1%. They're like .00009%!

Be mad at Slutgarden for promoting the 1% of sluts in the world, while 99% of us languish in prudity.

Protest an artcar shaped like a cat, because it is totally against the dogs of the world.

Protest the Georgie Boys of the world, because "Not enough red."
User avatar
Nipple
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby bluesbob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:48 am

Getting back to the occupy subject...

BM is my getaway from the default world. I prefer to leave what's going on out there...out there.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: Fullerton, CA.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:20 am

Imagine the theme camp crew getting a dozen Occupy camp applications this year -- do they make them all camp together?

Imagine Occupiers asking for permission in the first place.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby tamarakay » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:42 am

Nipple wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:Great idea, added to the list. Arctica is on par with Center camp bringing commodification to our community and reducing RSR. As I understand it Arctica was foisted upon the community by the feds when the community grew. Maybe someone familiar with that can porovide specifics as to the deets. Protesting the trash fence is a good idea, about as effective as peacefully protesting wall street banksters. The trash fence while being a good place to snag a nifty hat thats blown off someones head does nothing to stop moop of the worst sort that goes right past and collects somewhere most participants dont bother with. Speaking of which.. does playa restoration handle anything outside of the fence? As far as protesting other themecamps I would prefer only to protest the ones thats offer nothing to the community, the private circle the wagons rv collectives that charge thousands to camp in and have managed to get in early and setup in public camping areas reserving space for campmates that cant make it until Friday.


No no no no no! Too serious. Less serious. More funny.

Hint: If you're less serious, and more funny with it at Burning Man, you win more hearts and minds, than being some crazy guy who is mad at the people selling them ice. Don't be mad at them. Be mad at the stilt bar for only allowing tall people in. They're like LESS than 1%. They're like .00009%!

Be mad at Slutgarden for promoting the 1% of sluts in the world, while 99% of us languish in prudity.

Protest an artcar shaped like a cat, because it is totally against the dogs of the world.

Protest the Georgie Boys of the world, because "Not enough red."


Yes! Protest barbie death camp for being sexist, hang more kens!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token


http://www.dyewithdignity.com
User avatar
tamarakay
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:27 pm
Location: Texas
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:52 am

Bob wrote:Imagine the theme camp crew getting a dozen Occupy camp applications this year -- do they make them all camp together?

Imagine Occupiers asking for permission in the first place.


Wasnt planning on registering. Dont wanna deal with the hassle if placement tries to put us in the less dusty part of town.
BlackRockCityPimp
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 am
Location: Tent

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:54 am

tamarakay wrote:
Nipple wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:Great idea, added to the list. Arctica is on par with Center camp bringing commodification to our community and reducing RSR. As I understand it Arctica was foisted upon the community by the feds when the community grew. Maybe someone familiar with that can porovide specifics as to the deets. Protesting the trash fence is a good idea, about as effective as peacefully protesting wall street banksters. The trash fence while being a good place to snag a nifty hat thats blown off someones head does nothing to stop moop of the worst sort that goes right past and collects somewhere most participants dont bother with. Speaking of which.. does playa restoration handle anything outside of the fence? As far as protesting other themecamps I would prefer only to protest the ones thats offer nothing to the community, the private circle the wagons rv collectives that charge thousands to camp in and have managed to get in early and setup in public camping areas reserving space for campmates that cant make it until Friday.


No no no no no! Too serious. Less serious. More funny.

Hint: If you're less serious, and more funny with it at Burning Man, you win more hearts and minds, than being some crazy guy who is mad at the people selling them ice. Don't be mad at them. Be mad at the stilt bar for only allowing tall people in. They're like LESS than 1%. They're like .00009%!

Be mad at Slutgarden for promoting the 1% of sluts in the world, while 99% of us languish in prudity.

Protest an artcar shaped like a cat, because it is totally against the dogs of the world.

Protest the Georgie Boys of the world, because "Not enough red."


Yes! Protest barbie death camp for being sexist, hang more kens!



How bout we just sneak in and plant more kens, we all know pyro cant possibly watch the camp at all times. Plus hes old and drunk alot of the time, he might not even notice for the first few days.
BlackRockCityPimp
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 am
Location: Tent

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:02 am

bluesbob wrote:Getting back to the occupy subject...

BM is my getaway from the default world. I prefer to leave what's going on out there...out there.


Fat chance of that with all the cruise america advertising all over the place. There is also alot of advertising for budget and uhaul. If you want to buy ice you better bring some of that default world monopoly money. Dan, Karen and many others brought Crude Awakening one year. Proof that things from defaultia can give one wood when going boom while also making one change their lifestyle and consider the evils of fossil fuel.
BlackRockCityPimp
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 am
Location: Tent

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:17 am

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:Dan, Karen and many others brought Crude Awakening one year. Proof that things from defaultia can give one wood when going boom while also making one change their lifestyle and consider the evils of fossil fuel.


What does trucking a 50-ft redwood tree from the bay area via semi tractor, breaking through the Gate, getting the tree impounded, and blaming everyone else for enforcing the long-standing no-plants LNT policy have to do with anything but the artists' egos?

Image

Image
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:28 am

Occupy Barbie Death Camp. I mean, talk about oppression. All those barbies are surely part of the 99%.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby AntiM » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:05 am

I always felt sorry for the tree, minding its own business, growing, and then getting killed for art which didn't even happen. Foogers.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16386
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:26 am

AntiM wrote:I always felt sorry for the tree, minding its own business, growing, and then getting killed for art which didn't even happen. Foogers.



Exactly, and especially a beautiful redwood like that.



Not that.. there should be preferential treatment among species..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby tamarakay » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:50 am

junglesmacks wrote:
AntiM wrote:I always felt sorry for the tree, minding its own business, growing, and then getting killed for art which didn't even happen. Foogers.



Exactly, and especially a beautiful redwood like that.



Not that.. there should be preferential treatment among species..


I admit I have a tree bias. I would not be upset if they took a few of these cedars from round here. kill kill kill, pollen producing nightmares
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token


http://www.dyewithdignity.com
User avatar
tamarakay
 
Posts: 2128
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:27 pm
Location: Texas
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:50 pm

Whether it's living or dead, dropping needles and bark violates the permit.

Oh, but we're talking about civil disobedience here. Solidarity, sisterbrotherpeople.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Interesting. I never knew the story. I just heard that something went wrong with the tree and it wouldn't be put up to replace the derrick. I thought it was a manufactured tree, not a real tree. I'm surprised that this wasn't discovered by the people who approve large projects way back in the planning stages rather than at the gate.
JK
Image
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
User avatar
jkisha
 
Posts: 11403
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Wasn't part of the original art proposal, and the general ban on plants and plant materials was well established by 2007.

Same artists did the "Last Stand" installation in 2002, leaving behind moop that took a week for DPW to clean up. For that one I suppose you could blame the art department.

Draw whatever conclusions you want about Occupy or the Burning Man "lifestyle".
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby Nipple » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:32 pm

From Dan Das Mann's site...

A 50' tall living nursery-grown redwood tree was brought with the intention of erecting it in place of the fallen Revered Oil Derrick. The tree was treated and permitted as required by law to cross state lines from California into Nevada. A full-time professional tree mover was hired to remain focused solely on the care and health of the tree during it's travels and performance.
The performance was choreographed to ensure the tree remained on the playa for no longer than 24 hours.

Today, the redwood tree is alive and well and enjoying a certain kind of fame among it's friends at the nursery.


http://www.headlesspoint.com/crude_awakening/

Is that what really happened with the tree? The site doesn't talk about any troubles the tree caused.


Clarification: Not doubting your story Bob... doubting the site.
User avatar
Nipple
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Occupy Black Rock City

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:43 pm

bluesbob wrote:Getting back to the occupy subject...

BM is my getaway from the default world. I prefer to leave what's going on out there...out there.


Well, it was long imagined as a testing ground for an alternative society.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16308
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Theme Camps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests