Shipping to Canada

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Shipping to Canada

Postby Katiebaby25 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:25 pm

I live in Canada and I'm trying to decide whether it's a good idea to have my tickets shipped to me or if I should choose Will Call.... Last year I got my tickets no problem in plenty of time, but since tickets aren't being shipped until June I'm wondering if there might be a problem with me getting them in time. What would happen if I didn't get my tickets in time, would I be able to contact someone and arrange for Will Call instead?

The fact that shipping to Canada is an option leads me to believe that BMORG doesn't anticipate any issues with Canadians getting their tickets in time, but I'd like to hear what my fellow Canadian Burners are planning to do, or if anyone has had problems in the past.

Thanks!
*Sgnoflake*
Space Gnomes <;)
Katiebaby25

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Space Gnomes

Re: Shipping to Canada

Postby BBadger » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:02 pm

I don't trust leaving my tickets at the gate, rather than having them in hand. Plus it beats having to get in the SlowWill-Call lane.

Also I don't think Canada mail is so slow that it'll take two months to get through customs. Still, do you have to pay for customs? Maybe that would suck.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby delle » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Tough call.

Given that the postal strike was in full force last June....

...and that they were forced unhappily back to work without really solving the issues... causing rather sketchy delivery even once it returned

Otherwise seems to me that June should be plenty of time for them to arrive. Hopefully they mean BEGINNING of June, and not End, however!
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby Katiebaby25 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Hmmm yes I forgot about last year's postal strike. Lets hope there's no repeat of that!

I wonder if they mean beginning or end of June... hopefully there's some more clarification before January.

What to do, what to do......
*Sgnoflake*
Space Gnomes <;)
Katiebaby25

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Assume it means that they'll be sent out at the very last possible moment on the last day of June, and then be pleasantly surprised if they arrive anytime before then :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby remi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:10 pm

I did not choose will call. I chose the 29$ shipping option, and I'm confident that if they ship it on the last day of June, I should have it by mid July. It's a frickin' ticket from the states.. not a 200mW laser from China. I order stuff all the time online and never had anything take longer then a month (exept that damn laser... oh well.. free shipping = not going to complain). It will probably take two weeks.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Katiebaby25 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:20 pm

I think I'll do the same Remi.... I'm a ticket-in-hand kinda gal, and you guys are right, I'm sure I'll have them by the end of July at the latest :D
*Sgnoflake*
Space Gnomes <;)
Katiebaby25

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:22 pm

Yeah I'm concerned about this too, but I live in freaking rural northern Canada. Granted the postal strike caused some clusterfuckage this year, but for what it's worth my 2011 survival guide did not reach me before I left. If the plan is to ship tickets with survival guides this year, I certainly hope they eitehr a) offer tracking info, or b) allow tickets to be shipped to a US address for pickup on my way down.
More ideas than time.
melodiousdirge

Camp Name: Bakka Sevin: 30

Postby delle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:37 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:Yeah I'm concerned about this too, but I live in freaking rural northern Canada. Granted the postal strike caused some clusterfuckage this year, but for what it's worth my 2011 survival guide did not reach me before I left. If the plan is to ship tickets with survival guides this year, I certainly hope they eitehr a) offer tracking info, or b) allow tickets to be shipped to a US address for pickup on my way down.

Yeah.... I got my survival guide on my return as well.

But HEY! I survived anyway!!!!!!

(What qualifies as rural northern these days? I'm semi-rural northernish myself)
delle

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:40 pm

One would hope that at $30 (American), there would be tracking.

Of course, as I am relying on my memory, that might not be the actual price.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:55 pm

delle wrote:(What qualifies as rural northern these days? I'm semi-rural northernish myself)

If you're semi rural northern I might not seem that rural to you - I'm in Fort St John, BC. All my Vancouver friends think of me as more or less living on the tundra.
More ideas than time.
melodiousdirge

Postby melodiousdirge » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:57 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:One would hope that at $30 (American), there would be tracking.

I'd really hope so too but to be honest I forget how it worked in 2011. I don't think I had tracking, but I don't remember what I paid for shipping, or if I paid any extra (or if that was an option) for priority/express mailing.
More ideas than time.
melodiousdirge

Postby delle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:03 pm

Just checked my receipt from last year.

Nope. No tracking number.

Gottum tho! 8)

(trying very hard to stay neutral here, can you tell?)
delle

Postby Rice » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:07 pm

First 3 years, I had my ticket shipped to me in Saskatoon - no problems. Last two years I picked my ticket up from will-call - no problems. Saved me that stress of misplacing my ticket, ripping the car & house apart trying to find missing ticket. (Always an awesome start to my drive down {twitch} )

The only complaint I have about will-call is that so few people in line know where it is or how to be in a line for that matter... But that is a rant for another thread.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby BBadger » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:47 pm

stretch80 wrote:First 3 years, I had my ticket shipped to me in Saskatoon - no problems. Last two years I picked my ticket up from will-call - no problems. Saved me that stress of misplacing my ticket, ripping the car & house apart trying to find missing ticket. (Always an awesome start to my drive down {twitch} )

Less stress? I'd be more stressed worrying that the gate didn't fuck up the order and that the ticket isn't there. "I don't care that you have a print-out. We don't have you on record here. You'll have to turn back."

One in the hand is better than none in the ticket stand.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Rice » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:28 am

BBadger wrote:Less stress? I'd be more stressed worrying that the gate didn't fuck up the order and that the ticket isn't there. "I don't care that you have a print-out. We don't have you on record here. You'll have to turn back."

One in the hand is better than none in the ticket stand.

Gate does not handle the ticket process. That would be will call, different department.

I am more worried about the ticket getting lost in the mail. I intend to use Will Call for the foreseeable future.

We do our burns differently, my experience with Will Call has been nothing but positive. My way of doing things, works for me. I am not saying everyone should use will call, or that anyone should use will call. In fact, don't. It will make my wait even shorter ;)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby trilobyte » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38 am

I saw the question about tracking and did some checking. No, there would not be tracking info on the receipt (either for 2012 or any other year), since tickets are mailed at a later date. But when the tickets are shipped, an email goes out (to the address used for registration) with the USPS tracking number.

As for which method is better, I think they both have their place. If you occasionally lose things (car keys, important receipts, etc) or find yourself leaving the house without something important, or you just stress over that kind of stuff, consider will call. Same is true if your address may be in flux (though there is an easy way to change a ship to address once you have tickets and your order's in the system) and that may cause you stress. However, if you're involved with a camp/project that may have you coming to the playa on an early arrival list, or you think there's a chance you may not be able to make it (and will need to sell your ticket), consider a physical ticket.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby lemur » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:53 am

will call should be open a few days before the gates officially open for the early entry people who have will call tickets... dunno bout 2012 tho..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Rice » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:10 pm

lemur wrote:will call should be open a few days before the gates officially open for the early entry people who have will call tickets... dunno bout 2012 tho..

Will call is usually open the Wednesday prior to the official gate opening (So, Wednesday August 22, 2012) at noon.
Love Rice

Rice

Postby trilobyte » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:27 pm

Yeah, but they tend to have a significantly lighter staff which could lead to a bit of a wait. Your mileage may vary, of course.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Rice » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:40 pm

trilobyte wrote:Yeah, but they tend to have a significantly lighter staff which could lead to a bit of a wait. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Early entry, Friday (pre-event) at 1AM... No wait at will-call. I just walked up and showed my passport. Vola. Up to gate, 1 minute later, driving into city. total time (maybe 5 minutes) - not exactly a big deal.

No problem getting ticket, wait time (that specific time) was quite low. Just relating my experience, you are free to do as you like
Love Rice

Rice

Postby trilobyte » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:52 pm

Off hours are generally easier regardless. Again, your mileage may vary.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Rice » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:06 pm

trilobyte wrote:Off hours are generally easier regardless. Again, your mileage may vary.

Ok, It took 4 hours to get to will call on Opening night (2009), 1/2 hr to get ticket and then about 45 minutes to get to the gate. First time I saw the sun rise on the playa - beautiful...
Love Rice

Rice

Postby drutter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:41 pm

Katiebaby25 wrote: since tickets aren't being shipped until June I'm wondering if there might be a problem with me getting them in time.

I'm from Vancouver. Over the past 4 burns I've always just paid the $11 or so to have the tickets shipped to me. Shipping time between most of the US and most of Canada is 3 business days when using regular first class mail (ie: an envelope with a stamp on it). There is no stop at Customs because it's not a parcel - only parcels and large envelopes with heavy items inside are subject to Customs. If you live in a remote area the shipping time might be 4 or even 5 business days max.

So I would just do the same. I know $11 is ridiculous since the envelope costs less than half a cent and the stamp costs much less than a dollar, and considering they also charge a convenience fee on top of the shipping fee, but whatchagonnado?
Heavy on preparations, light on expectations.
drutter

Postby remi » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:27 am

drutter wrote:
..... I know $11 is ridiculous since the envelope costs less than half a cent and the stamp costs much less than a dollar, and considering they also charge a convenience fee on top of the shipping fee, but whatchagonnado?

Actually, the charge is 29$ to ship to Canada.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:50 am

The ripoffs were better last year.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion