Tent Purchase (is a good omen?)

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Tent Purchase (is a good omen?)

Postby VultureChow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:53 am

So I've known what tent I wanted to purchase for a while now and was tracking ebay, craigslist and every store that carries them. Kodiak canvas 10x10 deluxe flex bow. $499. About a month ago, Dick's Sporting Goods started carrying them, but had their pricing wrong. The 10x10 was listed at $599. I actually emailed them to tell them this. Their response was that I was wrong, but miraculously the next day the site showed it "Marked down" from $599 to $499.

A few of the past few days, Dick's had a 20% off sale, but since I still had to pay for large item shipping I got cold feet. I even had it my shopping cart. Then this morning they announced 25% off a single item and I got an email coupon for 10% off if I empty my cart now. And wonders of wonders they stack!

So... I'm buying it. It come out to under $400 including shipping which beats or matches the going price + shipping when one of them shows up on ebay.

That it happened today, on the day you can first register for the presale has to be a good omen. Right?

Sorry. I'm just really excited.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Tent Purchase (is a good omen?)

Postby jkisha » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:35 am

:)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:53 am

Make sure to bring a spare cheapie tent as storage for your cooler and other stuff! ..not to mention re-bar to secure that sucker down with.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby VultureChow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:33 am

junglesmacks wrote:Make sure to bring a spare cheapie tent as storage for your cooler and other stuff! ..not to mention re-bar to secure that sucker down with.

I'm solo, so I'm planning on using half the tent as storage. It's a lot of tent just for me, but perfect for storage and sleeping. Regarding staking, I'm trying to figure out if I can get buy on some heavy duty military stakes instead as I'm flying in. Threads on this tent seem to suggest this would work.
VultureChow

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:54 am

VultureChow wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Make sure to bring a spare cheapie tent as storage for your cooler and other stuff! ..not to mention re-bar to secure that sucker down with.

I'm solo, so I'm planning on using half the tent as storage. It's a lot of tent just for me, but perfect for storage and sleeping. Regarding staking, I'm trying to figure out if I can get buy on some heavy duty military stakes instead as I'm flying in. Threads on this tent seem to suggest this would work.

Trust me, you'll still want just a cheapie Walmart dome tent or something to store your cooler and other things in. You'll want that extra space to move around in and something to keep sealed while you're not in it vs the in and out nature of a cooler and storage. Trust meeeeeeeeeee :D
junglesmacks

Postby VultureChow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:02 am

junglesmacks wrote:
VultureChow wrote:

Trust me, you'll still want just a cheapie Walmart dome tent or something to store your cooler and other things in. You'll want that extra space to move around in and something to keep sealed while you're not in it vs the in and out nature of a cooler and storage. Trust meeeeeeeeeee :D

I have one of my old single man backpacking tents that I don't use anymore but is still in one piece. Would that work?
VultureChow

Postby wh..sh » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:09 am

And here I was camping in a tent I bought from a friend for $25 :)
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:12 am

If you were a serious backpacker it might be that you already have the skills to camp in a single tent.
I'd put a shade over your tent as far more useful than a canvas shed. Eplaya is filled with people saying that what works for them is automatically the best thing for everyone else. It's nice to know that there are actually other people who don't like camelbacks, for instance.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:18 am

I've never done the easy bake oven (tent directly under the sun) thing, but I agree with what junglesmacks is saying. You'll go into & out of the tent with your coolers in it many times throughout the day, which not only makes it more likely you'll track in dust but increases the chances that at some point through the week it may get left unzipped when a dust storm kicks up (everything inside will get covered in dust).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby VultureChow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:31 am

trilobyte wrote:I've never done the easy bake oven (tent directly under the sun) thing, but I agree with what junglesmacks is saying. You'll go into & out of the tent with your coolers in it many times throughout the day, which not only makes it more likely you'll track in dust but increases the chances that at some point through the week it may get left unzipped when a dust storm kicks up (everything inside will get covered in dust).

I'll consider using the backpacking tent for storage since I'm investing in a really good tent, I don't want to spend more and the sheer volume of space is absurd for one person. I still go out for a two night backpacking trip a dozen or so times a year, but haven't been on a good week long trip in a few years. The only thing my friends consider camping involves a truck and a generator, so I've been doing that.

But I spent 4 months a number of years ago on the AT in my little tent, so literally, anything I can stand up in I consider luxurious.

I was intending to construct an aluminet sun shade over the canvas tent by constructing a few extensions of the tent poles to keep space between canvas and shade cloth and then guy line it out a bit.
VultureChow

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:34 am

I have that tent, and I absolutely love it, and I am guessing so will you. The whole mess is heavy, though. The stakes it comes with are "probably" OK, given that you will have gear inside. They are these very nice 12" x 1/4" thick (305 mm x 6 mm) aluminum stakes. (Don't loan any out, they will get "gifted" to the borrowers :cry: ) I use four 1/2" "candy cane" rebar stakes out there, just because I am a belt AND suspenders sort of guy on the playa.
If you can spare the space for an aluminet or similar tarp to shroud your kodiak, you will find it a lot more tolerable during the day. I can attest that there will be a lot of open floor space for gear, coolers, etc., because of the vertical sides. If you are diligent about the zippers, you will live a relatively less dusty life, BUT the tent will be an oven on the hot days, and you will melt through lots of ice if you keep your coolers inside.
chiefdanfox

Postby VultureChow » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:57 am

chiefdanfox wrote:I have that tent, and I absolutely love it, and I am guessing so will you. The whole mess is heavy, though. The stakes it comes with are "probably" OK, given that you will have gear inside. They are these very nice 12" x 1/4" thick (305 mm x 6 mm) aluminum stakes. (Don't loan any out, they will get "gifted" to the borrowers :cry: ) I use four 1/2" "candy cane" rebar stakes out there, just because I am a belt AND suspenders sort of guy on the playa.
If you can spare the space for an aluminet or similar tarp to shroud your kodiak, you will find it a lot more tolerable during the day. I can attest that there will be a lot of open floor space for gear, coolers, etc., because of the vertical sides. If you are diligent about the zippers, you will live a relatively less dusty life, BUT the tent will be an oven on the hot days, and you will melt through lots of ice if you keep your coolers inside.

I'm definitely planning on doing some additional shade over the tent. Would the coolers fair batter if I use my vehicle as an anchoring point for the aluminet and create a space shaded by that between the back wall of the tent and the car? I could raise them up off the ground using some scrap wood and tuck them back in there in the shade, but not in the tent itself.
VultureChow

Postby Savannah » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Yes--outside of the tent, shaded, and off the ground is great for coolers.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:20 pm

If you're doing a shade structure, then you're probably good (though like Savannah said, get 'em off the ground). I do an EMT conduit/tarp shade structure for our camp which has room for the tents as well as the coolers & kitchen gear (and a common loungey area). Works great for us.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby 5280MeV » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:09 pm

On the subject of tents, does anyone have or have an opinion of the Eureka Tetragon:

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-2628224-Tetragon-Tent-sleeps/dp/B000EQAUVY/ref=sr_1_3?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1322418812&sr=1-3

I am looking for something light, compact, and inexpensive for just myself next year.
5280MeV

Postby AntiM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:41 am

5280MeV wrote:On the subject of tents, does anyone have or have an opinion of the Eureka Tetragon:

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-2628224-Tetragon-Tent-sleeps/dp/B000EQAUVY/ref=sr_1_3?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1322418812&sr=1-3

I am looking for something light, compact, and inexpensive for just myself next year.

You'll need to find a way to seal the vents. There's a thread about that.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:03 am

True about in and out, but better shade helps the cooler a lot.

Shade the sides too.

I used solid cover, small spacing off the tent.
Very cool inside.
Had ice when I got home.

Aluminet mesh is not adequate in my experience.
Better than nothing and easy though.
gyre

Postby vargaso » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Personally, I can't see spending good money on a tent to use at Burning Man, it will get beat up even in the best conditions. The two years we slept in a tent, we used the same cheapo Walmart tent with the vents sealed up and a monkey hut over the top. It worked pretty well. The additional shade structure over the tent is key, to keep out the dust some, to protect the tent a bit and most importantly so that it's somewhat tolerable if you have to go inside it during the day.

Last couple years I've slept in our minivan with the monkeyhut over that, and it is fantastic. Zero dust, for one thing. Slept in until 11 one morning, it only just started to get a little warm in the van thanks to the shade. And of course, the same old Walmart tent is still in action, we use it to store our gear. Best place for a cooler is outside, in the shade of your vehicle, not in a tent.
vargaso

Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby gyre » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:48 pm

Easy to use a cheap tent if you can take a tent condom to go around it.

My not so cheap walmart tent distintegrated in the first wind after it was set up.

Not all that much fun without a tent that stands up or closes.

I had a huge difference in ice life with the cooler shaded.
Fun to never fetch ice on the playa at all.

The only cheap one I've had luck with survived with poles and tarps shrouding it.
Wouldn't stand straight up in wind without that.
Flat.

The one I took last time wouldn't have survived without 200 lbs of tarps around it.

Good tents are worth it.
gyre

Postby BBadger » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:18 am

vargaso wrote:Last couple years I've slept in our minivan with the monkeyhut over that, and it is fantastic. Zero dust, for one thing. Slept in until 11 one morning, it only just started to get a little warm in the van thanks to the shade. And of course, the same old Walmart tent is still in action, we use it to store our gear. Best place for a cooler is outside, in the shade of your vehicle, not in a tent.

How much did the supplies for your monkey hut cost?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby maryanimal » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:14 am

trilobyte wrote:I've never done the easy bake oven (tent directly under the sun) thing, but I agree with what junglesmacks is saying. You'll go into & out of the tent with your coolers in it many times throughout the day, which not only makes it more likely you'll track in dust but increases the chances that at some point through the week it may get left unzipped when a dust storm kicks up (everything inside will get covered in dust).

Word!

I have a great tent. It's huge and comfortable and I stored my supplies in my tent, and brought in unnecessary dust. Although my windows didn't have flaps for closure. I had a front and back door with covered flaps. I'm going to make some window covers and place them on the outside of the tent. My tent had waay too much playa dust in it.

So it's a small tent for my supplies this year! And a cover for over my tent.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:53 am

I covered the vents in my tent (Eureka Sunrise) with fleece throw, clipped to the poles at the corners and then stretched down on the sides with bungees through shark-bite grommets. Worked great; no dust issues at all. Of course I had the tent under an aluminet monkey-hut, for shade & storage.

PS I love the shark-bite things; they go on & stay on and then come off again without leaving a mark. Look here.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby AntiM » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:37 am

MyDearFriend wrote:I covered the vents in my tent (Eureka Sunrise) with fleece throw, clipped to the poles at the corners and then stretched down on the sides with bungees through shark-bite grommets. Worked great; no dust issues at all. Of course I had the tent under an aluminet monkey-hut, for shade & storage.

PS I love the shark-bite things; they go on & stay on and then come off again without leaving a mark. Look here.

We do nearly the same thing, but with old pressed felt blankets held on by spring clamps, under a carport. Sometimes we add an extra quilt or comforter over the tent.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby vargaso » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:41 pm

BBadger wrote:
vargaso wrote:Last couple years I've slept in our minivan with the monkeyhut over that, and it is fantastic. Zero dust, for one thing. Slept in until 11 one morning, it only just started to get a little warm in the van thanks to the shade. And of course, the same old Walmart tent is still in action, we use it to store our gear. Best place for a cooler is outside, in the shade of your vehicle, not in a tent.

How much did the supplies for your monkey hut cost?

Monkeyhut cost 80 bucks (PVC, tarp and those stretchy things with the ball on the end to secure the tarp to the PVC). I recommend the monkeyhut regardless of how "good" your tent is, it's all about the shade and windblock. '07 and '08 has some very nasty wind storms and the cheapo tent survived just fine thanks to the monkeyhut. And yeah, secure the hut with rebar and guidelines. I built mine based on the plans here: http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/. I've used it 3 years, I'll need to replace a couple of the 10' sections this year.

Still, I'd recommend spending the 400 bucks on renting a van and sleeping in it with the monkeyhut over that. SO MUCH nicer, and you can move the van during the day to use the hut for shade if you don't have another shade structure. Seriously, if Burning Man is the only place you'll use the tent, rent a van instead. No amount of sealing will keep out the dust out of a tent
Last edited by vargaso on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vargaso

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:44 pm

vargaso wrote:...those stretchy things with the ball on the end to secure the tarp...

Ball bungies, I believe.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:54 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
vargaso wrote:...those stretchy things with the ball on the end to secure the tarp...

Ball bungies, I believe.

Ball bungee, not bungie.
junglesmacks

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:07 pm

guidelines

Guy lines.

Monkeyhut

Primate hut.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby vargaso » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:17 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

Ball bungies, I believe.

Ball bungee, not bungie.

Bungee balls!
http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Heavy-Duty- ... B000MTVFR6

Anyway, those things are awesome.
vargaso

Return to Shelter & Camping