Fundraising On ePlaya

Read-only messages from the Burning Man Staff

Fundraising On ePlaya

Postby trilobyte » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:29 pm

As you may know, commerce (outside ticket sales) has not been allowed on ePlaya. With the exception of a select few honorarium art grant projects (such as the temple), this included fundraisers for camps and art projects. If you saw something in the past, it was something that slipped through the cracks (moderator coverage hasn't always been great).

We are going to start allowing the listing of Burning Man camp and playa art project fundraisers. It is important that the boards don't become polluted with advertisement posts (like so many other places on the internet), and so there some specific rules to follow.

• Listing a Fundraiser Event needs to happen in the Regionals & Events section. No spamming, you get a single thread for your fundraising event that must clearly state the project or Burning Man camp that's benefitting. As a suggestion, you should also make sure the location (city/state or city/country outside the US) is in your thread title.
  • Listing of a Camp Donation Program (ie kickstarter) must happen in a single thread for the camp, in the Theme Camps board.
  • Listing of an Art Project's Donation Program must happen in a single thread for the project, in the Art & Performance board.
  • Listing of a Mutant Vehicle's Donation Program must happen in a single thread for the project, in the Mutant Vehicles board.
  • Fundraisers for all other things (your book deal, your burner business startup, your Burning Man tickets, etc) is not allowed on ePlaya.

Do NOT use ePlaya to discuss financial details of your camp or project. If you want to give someone a peek at your books, please do so privately. If you choose to put your books up for public review, do it on another site.

No crossposting or repeat posts/threads. It is important that over-zealous individuals don't spoil the boards by constantly bumping their threads to vie for attention. Abusing the board could result in threads being locked (to prevent bumping) or the losing the privilege of posting your fundraiser on ePlaya (at the discretion of the mod team).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Fundraising On ePlaya

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:52 pm

I wholeheartedly approve. Very nice work. :D
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby capjbadger » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:03 pm

Sounds like a good plan. Open options give to deal with people trying to abuse the system will keep things from getting out of hand. :)

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby ibdave » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:39 pm

8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:11 pm

trilobyte wrote:[*]Fundraisers for all other things (your book deal, your burner business startup, your Burning Man tickets, etc) is not allowed on ePlaya.

How about my Kickstarter Alternative startup-- "AssKicker"? :0

Seriously tho, I donate a few bucks here and there to different projects but sometimes just wish there was just an address I could mail a couple of bills or a check. Sure it's easy to use the CC, and getting a "free" sticker or other schwag is nice, but in the case of kickstarter, the donee is only seeing 92 of every $100 I donate. Credit card fees are 3% and Amazon charges 5% for the program.
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby capjbadger » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:56 pm

weather man wrote:
trilobyte wrote:[*]Fundraisers for all other things (your book deal, your burner business startup, your Burning Man tickets, etc) is not allowed on ePlaya.

How about my Kickstarter Alternative startup-- "AssKicker"? :0

Seriously tho, I donate a few bucks here and there to different projects but sometimes just wish there was just an address I could mail a couple of bills or a check. Sure it's easy to use the CC, and getting a "free" sticker or other schwag is nice, but in the case of kickstarter, the donee is only seeing 92 of every $100 I donate. Credit card fees are 3% and Amazon charges 5% for the program.

Check out Dwolla. Just found out about it today. Very similar to paypal, but without the CC fees and the other crap. Just a flat $.25 per transaction, unlike Paypal's $.30 + 2.9%
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/ ... ayPal.aspx

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby trilobyte » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:25 am

I only mentioned the name as an example, there are PLENTY of 'fundraising engines' out there with varying terms and conditions for project organizers to consider (along with just plain old donations).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby gaminwench » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:04 am

Support ART on the playa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:44 am

capjbadger wrote:Check out Dwolla. Just found out about it today. Very similar to paypal, but without the CC fees and the other crap. Just a flat $.25 per transaction, unlike Paypal's $.30 + 2.9%

-Badger

VERY COOL! What's even funnier is that I know who that guy is. I actually bought a speaker cabinet from him for a car about 5 years ago. He mentions his old company, Elemental Designs. Good to see good people come up..
junglesmacks

Postby remi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:27 am

junglesmacks wrote:[quote="capjbadger"
Check out Dwolla. Just found out about it today. Very similar to paypal, but without the CC fees and the other crap. Just a flat $.25 per transaction, unlike Paypal's $.30 + 2.9%

-Badger

VERY COOL! What's even funnier is that I know who that guy is. I actually bought a speaker cabinet from him for a car about 5 years ago. He mentions his old company, Elemental Designs. Good to see good people come up..[/quote]

Paypal doesn't charge anything to the buyer, and I also didn't notice any fees. But I hear it's a different story for sellers. Meh.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby ibdave » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:45 am

gaminwench wrote:Support ART on the playa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WINNER 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:53 am

remi wrote:Paypal doesn't charge anything to the buyer, and I also didn't notice any fees. But I hear it's a different story for sellers. Meh.

That it is. It's around 2.9% per transaction which sucks.
junglesmacks

Postby Bob » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:12 pm

I've become rather ambivalent about fundraising, but fwiw --

May an eplaya member post updates to their fundraiser thread, inadvertently bumping it?
May a "friend" bump it?
What about links cleverly placed in sigs & profiles?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:28 pm

My opinion, worth nothing:
1 Updates have to be okay. Just the same, most of us can smell a phoney update.
2 When you put "friend" in quotes, what do you mean? Sock? Friend? "Friend"? Soulmate?
3 We don't allow that with commerce commerce, for consistencies sake it would be no.

Trilobyte will have the better answer within 7 minute of my posting.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:49 pm

If there's normal (well, what passes for normal around here) conversation happening in a thread, it bubbles to the top normally. I see 'bumping' as a post made to a thread (by the OP or a friend/campmate) solely for the purposes of bumping a thread with no life in it. Reasonable updates are okay, but if someone gets a little too update happy expect one of the mods to be in touch (and if you think someone is updating too frequently, let one of the mods know).

The intention is to help projects reach their goals (as well as help burners connect with playa projects they can assist), but not at the expense of the usefulness of the boards. What we don't want to happen is for the first page of posts on one of the boards to be nothing more than adverts.

Links in signatures is a good question. I think that, for now, they will continue to not be allowed. My concern is that it would be easy to get out of control, and since the signature appears on all posts it would effectively turn them into banner ads all over the site. What do you think about it?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:16 pm

trilobyte wrote:Links in signatures is a good question. I think that, for now, they will continue to not be allowed. My concern is that it would be easy to get out of control, and since the signature appears on all posts it would effectively turn them into banner ads all over the site. What do you think about it?

My feelings on signature links (mainly because it's a big spammer trick to bury the ad in the sig): if the link is to the person's personal (non-commercial: no Etsy stores etc) site or to the fundraiser site (without being a banner ad), I think it's fine. If they post a huge fundraiser image with a link as their sig I would see it as a problem & ask them to change it.

I want to see playa art get funded, a link in the sig line helps that goal.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Eric wrote:I want to see playa art get funded, a link in the sig line helps that goal.

Exactly. It would be one thing if I was linking to my new burner based start-up business or Etsy in my sig, but this is specifically the support and funding of playa art we're talking about.
junglesmacks

Return to Announcements