Help I can't stop....

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Help I can't stop....

Postby vangran » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:33 pm

Help! I can't stop thinking about Burning Man.
I know it's only November, but I can't stop thinking about the Playa. Everything I do during any day in defaultia I ask..how would I do this/how would it be different on the playa. Answer nearly always the same;"you'll figure it out /it'll be better."
Does anyone else have this problem?
We got what we got. We'll get what we get. Let's burn.
vangran

Re: Help I can't stop....

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:39 pm

I think about Burning Man more than I think about sex.

That's serious business..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby wh..sh » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:44 pm

I went shopping the other day for formal, business clothes and all I was thinking was if I could wear it on playa.
Now that's really messed up.

I need some brain cleansing.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Business clothes are useful when returning rental vehicles. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby wh..sh » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Savannah wrote:Business clothes are useful when returning rental vehicles. :lol:

I met this guy on playa who was in full business suit... I discussed some dealings with him :wink:

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby wh..sh » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:54 pm

vangran wrote:Help! I can't stop thinking about Burning Man.
I know it's only November, but I can't stop thinking about the Playa. Everything I do during any day in defaultia I ask..how would I do this/how would it be different on the playa. Answer nearly always the same;"you'll figure it out /it'll be better."
Does anyone else have this problem?

If you would sit down for a second, I would like to inform that you have a serious case of BURNIA
Experts have found no cure for this disease but we are working on it.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:21 pm

And by "experts" & "working on it" we mean "playing around in a labcoat while researching battery-powered blinkie lights online".
Savannah

Postby graidawg » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:23 pm

junglesmacks wrote:I think about Burning Man more than I think about sex.

oh thank you! thought i was the only one, nearly all my conversations start, "when i was at burning man......" and i have only been once! how bad is it going to be when ive been twice or thrice!
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby graidawg » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:24 pm

Savannah wrote:

And by "experts" & "working on it" we mean "playing around in a labcoat while researching battery-powered blinkie lights online".

oo oo i have lab coat! can we research together sav?
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
graidawg

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:33 pm

graidawg wrote:

oh thank you! thought i was the only one, nearly all my conversations start, "when i was at burning man......" and i have only been once! how bad is it going to be when ive been twice or thrice!

The worst part is that you can sort of feel yourself bringing Burning Man into the conversation to excess, but you generally can't just slam onto the brakes; you'll have some sort of brutal accident. All you can do is press down gently but firmly, then mentally pull yourself off the road until help* arrives.

* other Burners.
Savannah

Postby graidawg » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:35 pm

Savannah wrote:
The worst part is that you can sort of feel yourself bringing Burning Man into the conversation to excess, but you generally can't just slam onto the brakes; you'll have some sort of brutal accident. All you can do is press down gently but firmly, then mentally pull yourself off the road until help* arrives.

* other Burners.

oh now i know i have decompressed because i just laughed at that. c'est moi
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby vangran » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Oh, thank you. It's so nice to have company.
vangran

Postby trilobyte » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:20 pm

Sounds like your brain's become playafied. No known cure, but some say that's when the party really starts to get good. :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lucky.bastard » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:20 pm

i have been looking for constructive ways to channel this playafried drain bamage.... started by buying an old car and cutting the body off..., figure it will give me an outlet this winter
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "
lucky.bastard

Postby tamarakay » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:04 pm

A friend at work pointed out that we have not had one single conversation since I got back that did not end up with me saying something about burningman. This is one of the few friends at work that I'd actually WANT to camp with.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:11 pm

If I did that I would lose a boyfriend, a couple of "friends" and ... well, actually the wife wouldn't really care.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby BBadger » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:25 am

It's a permanent condition known as Playa-itis, and will even resurface again like shingles for chicken pox when you think it has passed.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:56 pm

I have a cure for playaitus its called Live Music. My other cure is I am married to a non burner. Without these two things I am afraid I am doomed as well.

And yeah they arent "cures" they just keep the Dis-ease in remission.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby TomServo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:49 am

Vangran, you joined eplaya in 2006. Was 2011 your first year? Admittedly, it took me a couple years to tone down the playa-babble. I still constantly think about it, and I do try and apply the principles..in the default world...I think that's a good thing. I have, however, learned to hold my tongue..around certain people. Some people are more impressed by actions, than words. It's funny, if you try and explain Burning Man, some folks will tune you out...but if you rush to help them fix a flat tire or clean every bit of trash, after a party, their dumbfounded. Some people just can't grasp the concept of just doing things... without the expectation of a "reward."

It's not my job to preach all that good shit to people...but it's sad that it's so difficult for people to understand.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby RedHeaven » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:22 am

Well said well said
Express your love for BMan culture by example, and try to be constructive about how to mingle with those who don't understand (yet or never or whatever)

One of the reasons it's so awesome is because the actual thing only is a week. We all save up so much mojo to let it release there together in a mojo orgy!!! AAAHHHHHH
Its bound to overwhelm life in general.....I think thats half of where all the jokes come from. :mrgreen:
"remember it's only a camping trip in the desert!"

yeeeeeeaaaaaaah sometimes I wish thats all it was when I start getting all dreamy hearted and all I see in my head is beige, blue sky, blinky, glowy and burny and mojo entities.
It can feel like a love affair.....and sometimes seems absurd.
Ya gotta almost make some sort of peace with it. Let it disperse into the world.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Re: Help I can't stop....first, I have to apologize for o

Postby vangran » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:54 am

TomServo wrote:Vangran, you joined eplaya in 2006. Was 2011 your first year? Admittedly, it took me a couple years to tone down the playa-babble. I still constantly think about it, and I do try and apply the principles..in the default world...I think that's a good thing. I have, however, learned to hold my tongue..around certain people. Some people are more impressed by actions, than words. It's funny, if you try and explain Burning Man, some folks will tune you out...but if you rush to help them fix a flat tire or clean every bit of trash, after a party, their dumbfounded. Some people just can't grasp the concept of just doing things... without the expectation of a "reward."

It's not my job to preach all that good shit to people...but it's sad that it's so difficult for people to understand.
vangran

Postby vangran » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:09 am

First I have to apologize for not watching this thread that I started. I think that violates one of the ten principles, and certainly breaks with eplaya etiquette .
@TomServo..actually 2006 was my first burn and only burn to date, ( see "First and Last Burn"-2006) which is probably why I act like a newbie sometimes on this board. But after 6 years I still have to make a concious effort not to include the words "burning man" in every sentence. I've got it bad!
vangran

Postby vangran » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:54 am

How cool is it to have a place (eplaya) where it's OK to say " Burning Man" in every sentence ?
vangran

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:33 am

vangran wrote:How cool is it to have a place (eplaya) where it's OK to say " Burning Man" in every sentence ?

It's very cool. 8)

My thoughts run on a continuous Burning Man loop at every unoccupied moment, so, I bite my tongue way to often in conversion with those who have heard enough from me about TTITD. My great joy in bringing my two sons and two nephews to BRC this year is, woo hoo I can talk to them about Burning Man non-stop!

Oh gosh...

8) 8) 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby vangran » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:29 pm

I haven't got aticket yet.Haven't stopped trying. Still can't / won't stop thinking about TTiTD.
But I'm ready to start thinking about the burn instead of tickets. We got what we got.We'll get what we get.
Let's BURN!
vangran

Postby Elorrum » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:38 pm

The open secret that it's caught on is good reason to cut back on the When I was at Burning Man convos.

smile quietly, and go (in your mind!) to your happy place.

if anybody asks you say, "It sucks. You should check out your regional. Those are way fun, clean, with water, toilets perhaps..."
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby vangran » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:45 pm

if anybody asks you say, "It sucks. You should check out your regional. Those are way fun, clean, with water, toilets perhaps..."
[/quote]

Thanks Elloram, that will be my new answer to questions about TTiTD
vangran

Postby alt12 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:22 pm

Elorrum wrote:The open secret that it's caught on is good reason to cut back on the When I was at Burning Man convos.

smile quietly, and go (in your mind!) to your happy place.

Hah, that has been my motto for years.... And not just for capacity reasons. If you sing the ra ra burning man song to every stranger you meet, you are going to attract a lot of people who aren't a good fit for the event.... Its been a long-time (try never) since we were in need of more people....so after 2-3 years as an evangelist I pretty much keep my mouth shut about it with non-burners....

Plus, at least in San Francisco, there is almost nothing more annoying than someone telling a "once, at burning man" story.... It is beyond cliche at this point in time and people who don't go are sick of hearing about it....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby Texasgypsy88 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Make some art :D
Texasgypsy88

Postby raptor767 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:04 pm

I totally understand You, because Burning Man was the best place in a world...Until they start lottery. It will be either to wait with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvsvQLB4SqE
Live everyday like today is your last. At list on weekends
raptor767

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man