Allowing Kickstarter mentions in the Art & Performance forum

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Do you have an issue with mentions of Kickstarter/fundraising for art projects on eplaya?

Yes I do.. anywhere on the site should be disallowed.
No votes
It should only be allowed in the Art & Performance section and in the appropriate discussion thread.
67%
It's ART! ANYWHERE on eplaya is fine with me!
33%

Total votes : 3

Allowing Kickstarter mentions in the Art & Performance forum

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:03 pm

I know the topic of absolutely-positively-no-commerce-on-eplaya has been beaten to death, but I'd like present one facet that I think is in the interest of everyone.

I propose that in the Art & Performance section only, that discussions/presentations of art projects that are specifically being prepared for the coming years Burn for presentation on playa be allowed to mention their Kickstarter/fundraising.

This is not the selling of goods, this is not the offering of services for a profit.. this is the assistance in funding the art and the projects that we all enjoy.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Allowing Kickstarter mentions in the Art & Performance f

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:08 pm

Huh? Kickstarter has been allowed on eplaya for almost a year (maybe longer?) now.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:08 pm

jkisha wrote:Huh? Kickstarter has been allowed on eplaya for almost a year (maybe longer?) now.

Nope. Under the current administration, any links to a Kickstarter page are removed as commerce.
junglesmacks

Postby jkisha » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:32 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
jkisha wrote:Huh? Kickstarter has been allowed on eplaya for almost a year (maybe longer?) now.

Nope. Under the current administration, any links to a Kickstarter page are removed as commerce.

In which case, that is definitely a reversal of what they allowed for projects all last year. (Actually, I was one of those that didn't like the idea of allowing them to post their links, and was pretty vocal on how I felt; which is why I am absolutely certain that they were allowed to post them.)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:34 pm

They've been permitted for two years. Last year was the first year that camps were doing it. It hasn't been around much more than two years, I think. Certainly, I had never heard of them and all of a sudden they were all over this board. It doesn't surprise me that it's taken a couple of years for the llc to watch them and then implement a policy.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:08 pm

jkisha wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:

In which case, that is definitely a reversal of what they allowed for projects all last year. (Actually, I was one of those that didn't like the idea of allowing them to post their links, and was pretty vocal on how I felt; which is why I am absolutely certain that they were allowed to post them.)

I'm curious JK, what's your aversion to them besides caveat emptor?
junglesmacks

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Online polls are notoriously inaccurate, not to mention annoying in any format. Can we have them disabled without munging up previous eplaya polls?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby trilobyte » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:14 pm

Kickstarters have certainly slipped through (not enough coverage and bandwidth to get it all), but the rules have been no commerce including fundraisers. Occasionally there were exceptions made for certain honorarium art grant projects (ie. the temple).

I'm locking this thread. Aside from being a very dead horse, and not something that's to be decided via message board poll, it's shortly to become a non-issue. Stay tuned for an announcement.

EDIT - Here's the announcement.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to Policy Discussion