Florida Burners for 2012

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Florida Burners for 2012

Postby BandanaChick » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:45 am

I want to plan this waaaaaaaay ahead of time so everything is set and no one gets left out. I live in the Pinellas/Pasco county area (St. Petersburg generally), and want to meet up with some former/future burners to organize a camp or general travel group.:) I made a post earlier about finding a way for my husband and I to contribute to other burners or a camp in exchange for water, as we cannot really travel by car (we have a ford focus) with jugs/bottles big enough to get us all of the water we would need for the burn.

Aside from that, I'd like to meet up every so often between now and the burn so things go smoothly.

Will we travel as a group just to get there?
Do we want out own camp?
Will we travel separately and meet up at the burn?
Are we going to drive as a caravan, or fly?
Think of your own suggestions and ideas and please share!:)

<3
BandanaChick

Re: Florida Burners for 2012

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:01 am

Hey..

I come from Orlando each year and have my method pretty much down. Read through this thread on how I do it: viewtopic.php?t=35289

I have tons of space available coming in, so if you need some cargo carrying capacity for water.. that's not a problem at all. Just stay in touch and I'd be more than happy to help..

PS.. are you saying that you're driving all the way from FL in a Ford Focus??? My take on the situation is that it's for sure the best option to fly to Reno and then rent the truck for sleeping/living. The whole rental with milage this last year cost me $588 for 10 days, and about $80 in gas. Plane ticket was around $300 or something. So for two people, you're looking at about $1000 for full transportation to and from the event with living quarters supplied. Compare that to the gas you would spend anyway, the convenience of flying in and out with no hassle, reliability of a pre-serviced vehicle, lack of wear and tear on your own vehicle, cargo carrying capacity for water/bikes/food/etc.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby BandanaChick » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:16 am

You're a genius! Haha. Uhaul it is.;D Would you reccommend taking a taxi from the airport to the uhaul/budget place, or some other method?
BandanaChick

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:26 am

Only Budget on Gentry Way will rent to you. Taxi from airport.. its like $10. Works like buttah..
junglesmacks

Postby BandanaChick » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Ok then. Plan is already developing. Thanks for the help.:)
BandanaChick

Postby lazerfox » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:44 am

My boyfriend and I are also in Orlando. He is originally from Clearwater and we visit randomly and for most holidays. Love meeting fellow burners and since this was our first burn we've met only a few. (Junglesmacks being one of those few!)

I am really trying to make it out for my second burn in 2012 but will be doing it solo so would love to have some others to share resources with.

Oh and "Welcome to eplaya!"
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:48 am

lazerfox wrote:I am really trying to make it out for my second burn in 2012 but will be doing it solo so would love to have some others to share resources with.

:D :D :D

Great to hear, LF! However I can help, you've got it. I've always got space in the truck for extra water/bikes/whatever. I actually feel guilty leaving Reno with so much free room in there.
junglesmacks

Postby ehack » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:52 am

I would be interested in a Florida Camp as well. Im a virigin burner from Tallahassee, looking for a group of people traveling from Florida to BRC for 2012. Not sure how to logistically arrange a personal trip or with some other students interested in attending without spending a great deal of money. Having a larger group seems to make more sense for expenses and support. Let me know if any of you want to get together!

Eric
I can feel the heat already
ehack

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:03 am

ehack wrote: Not sure how to logistically arrange a personal trip or with some other students interested in attending without spending a great deal of money. Having a larger group seems to make more sense for expenses and support.

Hey Eric.. welcome.

Attending BM and not spending a great deal of money are two things that don't go together. No matter what, you're going to end up spending at least $1000-$1500 coming from the east coast. The ways to save would be to drive and have everyone pitch in for gas, but honestly that's about it. You still have to provide your own shelter, food, etc. Think of it this way: If you set aside $125 a month for a year, you're totally covered in style.
junglesmacks

Postby lazerfox » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:40 am

Hi Eric,

What JS said. The only thing I would also like to mention is: do not count the cost of your ticket in that $1000-$1500. That is usually an additional cost that should also be budgeted and runs from $290-$360 depending on your tier (or luck). (Cost may change without notice! :twisted: )
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:44 am

Very true. What all is said and done, I spend around $1700 ticket included.. and believe me, I save money wherever possible. That is about the cheapest it gets with all factors included.
junglesmacks

Postby lazerfox » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:52 am

I didn't even include money spent on clothing/costumes to my total budget...I doubt I could justify it if I added it up :shock: :lol:
lazerfox

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:52 am

lazerfox wrote:I didn't even include money spent on clothing/costumes to my total budget...I doubt I could justify it if I added it up :shock: :lol:

Oh yeah.. let's not even go there.. :lol:
junglesmacks

Postby lazerfox » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:03 am

Not trying to discourage you at all Eric!! Just trying to make your expectations realistic.
This is something that you should plan to save money for and if you can be prepared to save extra just in case as things can just happen and you don't want them to hinder you from going. (i.e. Friends cancel last minute, car breaks down, etc)

Feel free to ask about any specifics you are unsure of and we will try to help :)
lazerfox

Postby bigdane » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Hey y'all I'm in Tally and wondering if anyone has any info about trucks going to BRC. I'm thinking of flying out and renting a boxtruck but wonder how to gwt my bike out there? Also are there any events happening in the northern part of the Sunshine State??
2012 will be my first burn.
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby ehack » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think I can manage the 1700$ if i start saving now. Of course I need a ticket as well... Not sure when they sell out by. To the poster from Tally, we should get together.

Eric
I can feel the heat already
ehack

Postby Savannah » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:04 pm

ehack wrote:Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think I can manage the 1700$ if i start saving now. Of course I need a ticket as well... Not sure when they sell out by. To the poster from Tally, we should get together.

Eric

No one knows how quickly the tickets will sell out this year, but it'll be sooner than last year's sell-out because now people know it's possible.

The next registration period for the Main Sale is from January 9 (at 12 noon PST) until January 22 (at 11:59pm PST), 2012 on http://tickets.burningman.com

I recommend registering for the Main Sale. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby trigs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:47 am

Hey all! I'm trying to make this year my first burn, and I'll be coming from Gainesville.

So far I have been planning on going the flight+box truck route too. It's kind of a bummer because I loooove to plan and collect items for trips ahead of time, but hey, what can you do? If anyone plans to drive from FL with extra space for gear, I'd be all too happy to throw in gas money if my stuff could hitch a ride with you. Please and thank you!

Jungle, in what way do companies other than Budget refuse to rent to you? Do they not rent for extended lengths of time that week, or do they just make it huge risk by voiding your insurance if you go off-roading and the truck gets damaged? I've never driven a huge truck before, did you find it difficult to do?

I'd be down with working out some shared camping arrangements too. Travelling alone to my first burn is pretty intimidating! Though I love the idea of hooking up with a theme camp as a first-timer so that I can really get involved, I would actually prefer a slightly smaller group if possible. For those of us flying in, I can see a lot of value in splitting up the packing list if we intend to camp near each other even. We don't ALL need to bring certain items if we intend to share them, you know?

Is anyone going to Pre Heat?
trigs

Postby lazerfox » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:44 am

bigdane wrote:Hey y'all I'm in Tally and wondering if anyone has any info about trucks going to BRC. I'm thinking of flying out and renting a boxtruck but wonder how to gwt my bike out there? Also are there any events happening in the northern part of the Sunshine State??
2012 will be my first burn.

hi bd! We sent money to a fellow camp member and he not only found us bikes but also rented a truck to bring said bikes plus other camp gear.

I will admit that after seeing just how MANY bikes were for sale on our way to the gate on Monday I may rethink purchasing ahead of time and just picking one up on that road. You can also rent them from certain burner friendly shops that are listed in the BM resources list. But you have to make sure to sign up early. (AKA now)

Otherwise you just have to ask other burners in your area and see if anyone is planning on driving there with enough room to rent you some space for a bike.
lazerfox

Postby lazerfox » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 am

trigs wrote:Hey all! I'm trying to make this year my first burn, and I'll be coming from Gainesville.

So far I have been planning on going the flight+box truck route too. It's kind of a bummer because I loooove to plan and collect items for trips ahead of time, but hey, what can you do? If anyone plans to drive from FL with extra space for gear, I'd be all too happy to throw in gas money if my stuff could hitch a ride with you. Please and thank you!

Jungle, in what way do companies other than Budget refuse to rent to you? Do they not rent for extended lengths of time that week, or do they just make it huge risk by voiding your insurance if you go off-roading and the truck gets damaged? I've never driven a huge truck before, did you find it difficult to do?

I'd be down with working out some shared camping arrangements too. Travelling alone to my first burn is pretty intimidating! Though I love the idea of hooking up with a theme camp as a first-timer so that I can really get involved, I would actually prefer a slightly smaller group if possible. For those of us flying in, I can see a lot of value in splitting up the packing list if we intend to camp near each other even. We don't ALL need to bring certain items if we intend to share them, you know?

Some companies are not burner friendly and will not rent to people taking their trucks to BM. It is just a business decision to limit damage to their property. Some are very justified in making this decision after having been "burned" by folks who did not take care of their rentals...some just do it to not deal with it. So always be honest with the companies you are contacting and you will know which side they fall in.

Last year we were able to rent out some room in a local burner's trailer for our monkey hut as they were driving to the burn and that was awesome for us. Not sure if they will be doing it again this year but depending on where you live (near Orlando?) it may be a viable option.

Not sure if we'll make it to Pre Heat...it will depend on how ticket day goes and if it doesn't suck like After Burn did :(
lazerfox

Postby trigs » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:02 pm

lazerfox wrote:
trigs wrote:Hey all! I'm trying to make this year my first burn, and I'll be coming from Gainesville.

Some companies are not burner friendly and will not rent to people taking their trucks to BM. It is just a business decision to limit damage to their property. Some are very justified in making this decision after having been "burned" by folks who did not take care of their rentals...some just do it to not deal with it. So always be honest with the companies you are contacting and you will know which side they fall in.

Last year we were able to rent out some room in a local burner's trailer for our monkey hut as they were driving to the burn and that was awesome for us. Not sure if they will be doing it again this year but depending on where you live (near Orlando?) it may be a viable option.

Not sure if we'll make it to Pre Heat...it will depend on how ticket day goes and if it doesn't suck like After Burn did :(

Oh, no doubt business owners have very good reasons behind whatever decision they may make on the matter. I was just wondering if they had “No Burners!” rules at the box truck places or if they simply made it more difficult or more expensive to discourage potential renters.

That’s good to hear that you were able to find room on a truck – there’s hope! :) I live in Gainesville, which is on the way for anyone heading up 75, but I would also be more than willing to drop my stuff off ahead of time if it would be more convenient for the driver.

Uh oh, why did After Burn suck? I’ve never been to either but was hoping to meet some good people there.
trigs

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:27 am

We are driving caravan style from Miami to Reno with plans on getting to Reno 2 days early. Currently we are bringing a Bluebird bus, boxtruck, suv, and a pickup. If anyone else is doing the 3 week thing you are more than welcome to follow/join. The route we take is too long for most folks as we are going the long way, up 95 to Baltimore than on to St Louis, than the next stop is Salt Lake city, than on to Reno. I will not know if we have rideshare space space until June. As far as rideshares go we prefer to meet in real life beforehand and everything is split equally. Last yr fuel costs were 300 per person total.

If memory serves the FL camp is big puffy yellow camp or something like that. We have been to a few preheats and afterburns and werent really that thrilled. I may hit preheat this yr with one or two others buts its too small for me to really get into. They have horses which are cool if you dig the carrot feeding thing.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby trigs » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:26 pm

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:We are driving caravan style from Miami to Reno with plans on getting to Reno 2 days early. Currently we are bringing a Bluebird bus, boxtruck, suv, and a pickup. If anyone else is doing the 3 week thing you are more than welcome to follow/join. The route we take is too long for most folks as we are going the long way, up 95 to Baltimore than on to St Louis, than the next stop is Salt Lake city, than on to Reno. I will not know if we have rideshare space space until June. As far as rideshares go we prefer to meet in real life beforehand and everything is split equally. Last yr fuel costs were 300 per person total.

If memory serves the FL camp is big puffy yellow camp or something like that. We have been to a few preheats and afterburns and werent really that thrilled. I may hit preheat this yr with one or two others buts its too small for me to really get into. They have horses which are cool if you dig the carrot feeding thing.

The Burners' Bluebird Bus. I love it! :) I can't do a trip of that length, but if you have any space left over after you sort out everything with your travelmates, please let me know. I'm only trying to get a couple of bins of camp stuff (and maybe a bike?) out there - no giant art projects or anything. ;)

That's cool that FL has it's own camp, I didn't know that. I still may give Preheat a try. I'm down with bringing some extra carrots. :)

lazerfox wrote:I will admit that after seeing just how MANY bikes were for sale on our way to the gate on Monday I may rethink purchasing ahead of time and just picking one up on that road.

Has anyone seen how many are left by Wednesday afternoon?
trigs

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:01 pm

trigs wrote:
BlackRockCityPimp wrote:We are driving caravan style from Miami to Reno with plans on getting to Reno 2 days early. Currently we are bringing a Bluebird bus, boxtruck, suv, and a pickup. If anyone else is doing the 3 week thing you are more than welcome to follow/join. The route we take is too long for most folks as we are going the long way, up 95 to Baltimore than on to St Louis, than the next stop is Salt Lake city, than on to Reno. I will not know if we have rideshare space space until June. As far as rideshares go we prefer to meet in real life beforehand and everything is split equally. Last yr fuel costs were 300 per person total.

The Burners' Bluebird Bus. I love it! :) I can't do a trip of that length, but if you have any space left over after you sort out everything with your travelmates, please let me know. I'm only trying to get a couple of bins of camp stuff (and maybe a bike?) out there - no giant art projects or anything. ;)

That's cool that FL has it's own camp, I didn't know that. I still may give Preheat a try. I'm down with bringing some extra carrots. :)

Preheat would be good for you being a virgin burner and all. Make sure to chat with lotsa ppl there, alot of ppl that do pre/after burn dont goto or havent been to burningman. There is a big bus there with others that drive to brc but I know they dont have room for toting gear. I would haul yer shit but we dont have much room after packing up everyones gear, bikes, domes, etc.

Have u considered rail travel? You can bring more shit on da train than the plane. The one yr I rode the train it was loads of fun and I shipped UPS for alot of bulky lightish gear like sleeping bag, pillows, parachute etc.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby lazerfox » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:00 pm

I did not mean to say that After Burn sucked...it was the ticket sale day that sucked. The servers got shut down due to capacity and lots of people were not able to get tickets. It worked out that I couldn't go anyway due to a friend's wedding.

I'd love to go and will try to get tickets when they go on sale. I just hope that the server issue does not repeat since they are aware it may happen.
lazerfox

Postby Master » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Hello everyone, I'm David, and 2012 will be my first burn and since I got my ticket in the lottery I figure I better start taking this journey seriously.

So far my plan consists of saving enough money from here until August, buy a sonic screwdriver and a bow-tie so I can pretend to be Doctor Who in the playa, and developing a plan to get there and back from Orlando. I think sharing a ride would be ideal, but honesty I'm only now starting to learn of what ways would work best.

I'm glad to find this thread for Florida Burners! : )
Think before you BURN!
Master

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Envy since 2009

Postby lazerfox » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi David. this is a good time to get serious...not many folks drive from FL so you should definitely spend time in the rideshare areas of the site (closer to the event it becomes more active)
Now that you are being serious be ready for your life to change :D
lazerfox

Postby WildStyle » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:49 am

Panama City here, trying to make '12 my first. Will see! :evil:
WildStyle

Postby lazerfox » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:43 pm

So it seems the folks we hoped to be able to have transport our monkey hut won't be going to BM this year. :(

And so the hunt for shipping/busing/train-ing for our monkey hut begins.

Hope you guys are having more luck than us.
lazerfox

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:48 pm

What's with the monkey hut? Are you tenting it?

Maybe just go for the box truck. We've been pulling a coupon code lately that has the price pretty far down..
junglesmacks

Next

Return to Regionals & Events