Fears for tiers

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Fears for tiers

Postby trilobyte » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:29 pm

It's certainly food for thought, and for all we know could be something considered for future years (should the powers that be turn out to be unhappy with how things go this year). There may still be a few fine details getting worked out internally, but the plan that's been announced is pretty well set.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby The Bee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:01 pm

If I am willing and able to purchase a ticket at the top price of $390, and if I register for tier 3, then it seems very wrong that I might only pay $240. Wrong in the sense that it makes that less expensive ticket un-available for someone who can't afford the higher price. Is that really the intent?
The Bee

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:02 pm

I don't know it's the intent, but it does in fact work out that way.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby unjonharley » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:03 pm

trilobyte wrote:It's certainly food for thought, and for all we know could be something considered for future years (should the powers that be turn out to be unhappy with how things go this year). There may still be a few fine details getting worked out internally, but the plan that's been announced is pretty well set.

Trilobyte, Could you please stop.. The board is full of people that will not read the burning man main board and you..

It has hijacked eplaya.. Give it a rest please..
unjonharley

Postby The Bee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:07 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I don't know it's the intent, but it does in fact work out that way.

Well it doesn't have to work that way, and the announcement and FAQ leave the question ambiguous.
The Bee

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:11 pm

The Bee wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I don't know it's the intent, but it does in fact work out that way.

Well it doesn't have to work that way, and the announcement and FAQ leave the question ambiguous.

Trilobyte clarified that someplace else in this sub-forum.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sassy Britches » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:25 pm

I didn't think the old system was about offering low price tickets for people who couldn't afford higher price tickets. It seemed to me to be more about offering an incentive to people to buy tickets many months in advance - once you made your way through the queue on that first day of ticket sales, you had a chance to buy at any tier still available. (you could say no thanks if, by the time you made it to the buy screen, the only remaining tiers were out of your reach or a price you were unwilling to pay. It gave BMORG cash up front for things it needs to pay for, and those willing and able to make the commitment early a benefit for laying out cash many months in advance.

Seems to me (admittedly after initial knee jerk reaction was to be ever so fretful about the change) that the approach for 2012 is following similar principles. (And you won't have to wait for hours to say no thanks to tickets that are too much for you to pay)

Not to mention there have always been some tickets set aside for low income folks, as there will be in 2012.

May the dust be with you.
Sassy Britches

Postby Iago » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:09 am

Sassy Britches wrote:.... It seemed to me to be more about offering an incentive to people to buy tickets many months in advance ...

Bingo! I think that's all it has ever been about. If I remember correctly, they almost went bankrupt in 98 and didn't know if they would be coming back in 99. Maybe it had something to do with the cost of hay bails being really expensive back then...
Iago

Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: I Camp Remember

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion