Burning Man 2012 Tickets FAQ

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Burning Man 2012 Tickets FAQ

Postby VultureChow » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:41 am

TinkerMom wrote:
Clar-i-ty wrote:I wait because I don't have that kind of disposable income at the moment. It doesn't mean I'm not gonna hustle like hell to get it, but there's a very good chance I won't be able to. It's an extra $75 a week I have to raise right now. Ah fuck it. If you're not living it I doubt you understand.

I'm not a freeloader, I work my ass off, I do as much as I can. This year that simply may not be enough.

I'm in the same boat with you Cla-ri-ty. And I agree, "If their not living it I doubt they understand"

What i don't get is what you think the alternative is? Under the old method, tickets might have sold out by February. Then if you were saving up till March, you'd be out of luck. It would be naive to think that in light of last year's sell out, ticket purchases would proceed at the same pace this year.

If I were on a tighter budget, I'd be more upset about the increase in price than in the lottery structure. I'm already planning on cutting back on a few things to account for that increase.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby vangran » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:00 am

I don't have to live it to understand that there are those out there to whom $150 is a big deal. Of course I am glad to know that if I am willing to pay $390 that I have a better chance of getting a ticket, but I would be bummed if I would be getting one at tier one pricing and bumping someone entered in that tier that could not afford more.
I hope that those who choose tier one will be entered in that round before it is diluted with those choosing higher tiers.
We got what we got. We'll get what we get. Let's burn.
vangran

Postby BMG » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:56 am

Hey trilobyte!
Seems you might have some BMORG insights, if not connections, I thought I'd call you out.

Between the complications and potential time delays, and the higher prices, I am getting vibes that BMORG is in fact trying to discourage demand. Are my vibes bullshitting me?

Aaaaand, can 't resist asking. I have no idea what was going on while that pic you posted was taken, but my imagination runs wild :shock: :D
BMG

Postby Rice » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:58 am

Ok. I have enough money for the tickets I want. I have started to make arrangements for the flights I need to get down to the US (San Francisco). I intend to book my time off so that I have the time to attend. I would have been happy to stay in line all day/night until purchasing my tickets.

Now, no matter how much on the ball I am, there is a much greater chance that I would NOT get the tickets I want (I can/could pay the highest tier pricing if necessary).

Oh, I am not always down on change. but -- Dammit!!!! Will I get tickets or not??

Burning Man LLC, why??? For the love of the children WHY!!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:01 pm

Yes, your vibes are bullshitting you.

I think even the llc can see that that's a poor way to run an event.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby The Bee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:35 pm

stretch80 wrote:I don't get the whole: Lets celebrate the birth of someone who was killed by giving gifts - thing

I don't get it either, but lets not distort history: he was killed by being nailed to a cross; he was not killed by giving gifts.
The Bee

Postby Rice » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:38 pm

The Bee wrote:
stretch80 wrote:I don't get the whole: Lets celebrate the birth of someone who was killed by giving gifts - thing

I don't get it either, but lets not distort history: he was killed by being nailed to a cross; he was not killed by giving gifts.

Were the nails not gifts??
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby VultureChow » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:55 pm

stretch80 wrote:
The Bee wrote:

Were the nails not gifts??

He got a lovely crown.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby probablyrustin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:30 pm

[quote="vangran"]I don't have to live it to understand that there are those out there to whom $150 is a big deal. Of course I am glad to know that if I am willing to pay $390 that I have a better chance of getting a ticket, but I would be bummed if I would be getting one at tier one pricing and bumping someone entered in that tier that could not afford more.
I hope that those who choose tier one will be entered in that round before it is diluted with those choosing higher tiers.[/quote]

this was exactly my thinking. i don't think the response that "people who could pay more have been buying tier one for years" is any sort of justification for not making an option like that available. i'd like to think that someone with a much higher salary than mine with a generous attitude would willingly buy a tier three ticket (avoiding the rush), knowing that someone less able will buy a $240 ticket that they chose not to try and go for. it's very unfair not to even allow that as it will shake out many who for whom $150 is a HUGE difference, especially when it's already $240 for the cheapest ticket (minus low income)
probablyrustin

Postby probablyrustin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:34 pm

also, it wouldn't be ridiculous to ask for at least SOME reasoning for the raised prices. it doesn't have to be a detailed PDF summary of all projected expenses, but at least an acknowledgement of the fact that prices have very noticeably gone up with some info. i get that costs fluctuate, but considering either exactly the same number of people as last year are going (assuming no permit increase), or just maximum 3-6% of the population added, i think it's deserving of some mention
probablyrustin

Postby pink » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:40 pm

I'd be curious to see how many of the people who bought in the first day fray actually bought at a higher tier than what was available when they got through the queue. I've bought during the presale before when I had the funds to avoid the fray, but at that point the presale price was not higher than all the other tiers. $420 is kinda dear this year. So I'll go into the lottery and try for the best I can get. I'd hope those that can afford it go for the presale Tix.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby trilobyte » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:55 pm

@BMG - thanks, I've been working with the BMOrg in managing the site, and helping to answer questions where possible. Your vibes are bullshitting you. And that pic was snapped on the Friday before the gates opened, as I arrived at our campsite and I beheld the giant gnarly hunks of playa. I think the proclamation I made at the time was "this means something!" :)

@stretch80 - probably, yes. The plan favors those who plan. Things would be dicey if you started thinking about it in the spring, but you're way ahead of the game.

@probablyrustin - ticket prices have slowly but steadily increased every year. An official explanation is not given, but it's understood to be connected to the increasing costs of running the organization and producing the event. To get something more than that, you'll have to be radically self reliant and read through the AfterBurn reports yourself and reach your own conclusions.

@pink - the before-the-holidays pre-sale has always been priced at the highest tier. This year, the pre-sale tickets are $30 above the highest tier, with those proceeds going to help make more low income ticket opportunities available. If you really want to make sure you're helping out the less fortunate and not just subsidizing someone who camped on their computer all morning and got their first, now's your chance.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Solennial » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:55 pm

I am one of four that comes as a group - we range from Tier 1 to 4 incomes. If we each buy independently with this new system there is either a chance one or more of us may not get to come - or if we all try to buy that we will have 12 extra tickets. Crazy. Would it have been simpler to just not allow resale of a bought ticket without it being sent back to BM to be resold by them only - i.e. name assigned upon purchase and barcode locked,
Solennial

Postby unjonharley » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Solennial wrote:I am one of four that comes as a group - we range from Tier 1 to 4 incomes. If we each buy independently with this new system there is either a chance one or more of us may not get to come - or if we all try to buy that we will have 12 extra tickets. Crazy. Would it have been simpler to just not allow resale of a bought ticket without it being sent back to BM to be resold by them only - i.e. name assigned upon purchase and barcode locked,

Has there ever been a venue that has done that??.. No one is going to spend money/time messing with a ticket after it is sold..
unjonharley

Postby TimInSilverlake » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:38 pm

HELP - ADDITIONAL TICKET PURCHASING SPECIFICS NEEDED TO MAKE THIS WORK

1. NAIL DOWN WHEN THE BILLING DATES ARE, OR PROVIDE A BETTER ESTIMATE. Many of us will be carefully managing balances to make sure we have enough in our account on billing day because it is made very clear that the consequences for having insufficient funds available on billing day are fatal. For those of us with families trying to enter in the Nov/Dec drawing, particularly if we are not selected, that means scrutinizing our balances for weeks and, if we're not selected on the first round, months. The only guidance we have about billing day is the "on or before X date" language. This is going to be tough enough to manage, please have mercy and give us a narrower window period so we can make sure we have enough in our accounts on game day. I am dreading having to spend the winter months checking my balance every day and scrutinizing auto-debit transactions to make sure I'm not caught below the magic number.

2. TO MAKE A PRE-PAID CARD WORK WE NEED MORE INFO. The prepaid card option is a great idea, but we must have more clarity on it before we can rely on it. Bank-issued credit and debit cards have the cardholder's name on it. Prepaid debit cards - particularly if you're going to try to get one within eight days from now (with a bank holiday thrown in there) will likely just have the a generic identity on it ("CUSTOMER" or "GIFT CARD" at the bottom, instead of the name). Critical question: will the billing system accept a debit card that does not have a name on it? My bank allows me to purchase a pre-loaded "gift card" which works as a Visa, but it doesn't have a name on it. Will the billing company accept that? For those of us with families who are about to put $1600 onto a prepaid card, we need to know if it's going to work with the purchasing system. Also, to make a pre-paid card work, we have to know how much to load it with - see next point. (As a side note, if prepaid cards that have no names on them are accepted, how does that prevent scalpers?)

3. PLEASE NAIL DOWN EXACT COST SO WE KNOW WHAT TO LOAD UP THE CARD WITH, PARTICULARLY WHEN INSUFFICIENT BALANCE IS FATAL TO THE TICKET PURCHASE. This came up in another post. Please nail down the exact costs and tell us. How much is the ticket all in - taxes, shipping, handling, whatever. To make this work we need that information. Without it, and knowing that insufficient balance is fatal, I am going to way overestimate by about $100 per ticket. It's high enough without having to wildly overestimate to protect against default.

SERIOUS PLANS NEED SERIOUS INFORMATION TO PLAN WITH. To clarify where I'm coming from, I am a firm believer in the maxim that "He who plans, burns" - and I believe Burning Man feels the same way. I'm a hardworking homeowner with two jobs and I will be returning with my partner to Burning Man and, if I can swing it, supporting a friend who cannot afford to go on his own. I am bearing all ticket-buying responsibility for my group, which will be tough for me, but I'm willing to do what it takes and make it happen, but I need more info. Part of my financial planning and financial responsibility involves keeping just one low-limit credit card on hand for travel, and a debit card. I have home-related expenses that crop up in the thousands on occasion and with business travel on top of it, my balances fluctuate considerably. So this information is important to manage the cost, particularly on that crucial day when tickets are billed. The FAQ has been a bit of let down for me because serious plans need serious information to plan with. Not to offend, but it seems like this was thought out by people who must have vast balances available in multiple accounts and on multiple cards. I appreciate the efforts made, but more information is needed please!

Thank you for your effort in responding to these posts!
TimInSilverlake

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:08 pm

You can regester the prepaid cards after you load them so that they are tied to your name.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby TimInSilverlake » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:20 pm

[quote="FIGJAM"]You can regester the prepaid cards after you load them so that they are tied to your name.[/quote]

Cool. Which bank?
TimInSilverlake

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:30 pm

When I did it, I got the cards at walmart.

There should be a phone number or a web addy cause you do the registration online. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby trilobyte » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:31 pm

@TimInSilverLake - (1) Pre-Sale tickets should be charged on/before December 19 (winners will receive notifications). Main Sale tickets should be charged on/before February 1 (winners will receive notifications). Secondary Sale will begin in March and is an open sale, cards would be charged during the transaction. (2) My understanding is that you need to put the card in your name, though I'll try to confirm that and get back to you. (3) Taxes, service fees, and shipping charges will be posted by the time of the start of the two week registration process.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:36 pm

I did'nt have a credit card and needed to renew my puter security.

Got a pre-paid card to do it online.

They could'nt do it because my name was'nt on the card.

That's when I found out about registering the card online.

Once that was done, it worked fine! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby deutlich » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:13 pm

probablyrustin wrote:also, it wouldn't be ridiculous to ask for at least SOME reasoning for the raised prices.

...like 20 new board members?
| Liebe alles | 2012 Burgin |
Avi: http://archann.deviantart.com/
deutlich

Postby bradtem » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:26 pm

BTW, while prepaid credit cards are available, I have to say I am surprised that the vast bulk of people don't have a friend/loved one who has a credit card and whom they trust enough to make the ticket purchase for them on their card. That avoids the card fee, and the hassle of refunding if you lose the lottery, or win it at a better level than you hoped. I would consider this the first choice, and a prepaid card the 2nd choice.
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby essjay » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:33 pm

bradtem wrote:BTW, while prepaid credit cards are available, I have to say I am surprised that the vast bulk of people don't have a friend/loved one who has a credit card and whom they trust enough to make the ticket purchase for them on their card. That avoids the card fee, and the hassle of refunding if you lose the lottery, or win it at a better level than you hoped. I would consider this the first choice, and a prepaid card the 2nd choice.

Then your name would not match up with the ticket. I'm not saying that is not allowed . . . but, with a five month delay between purchase and fulfillment, I would not want to do anything that could in any way complicate the process.
essjay

Postby BurningDaylight » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Jewel Man wrote:
Ok, here are the facts Kool Aid guzzlers -- the highest tiered ticket price in 2010 was $300 (see BM website). The highest tiered and with the greatest quantity of tickets this year is $390. That represents and increase of 30%, inflation has been 3.5 % per year for the last two years so lets just call it 8% in total. What does the other 22% increase represent? You bunch of suck-ups, it represents unbridled profits. Don't even get me started on the economies of scale and how once you get past 40,000 people how the dollars free fall to the bottom line. Like I said, I'll be there but I'll be there knowing it is a for profit event and wondering with amazement how the BMORG gets all the volunteers to work so hard. Those are the facts -- bitches.

Take a look a the financial statements. It's not about inflation. As attendance goes up and as the event gets more elaborate, ticket prices go up to pay for it. Anyone who thinks there are big profits being had is just plain uninformed. Sure it's technically a private organization, but they are very up front about what they are spending money on. They're spending more on toilets and art? I'm good with that. They have to hire more people to run things? Sounds reasonable to me. Bigger and more spectacular Man this year? Cool! BLM fees have gone up? You'll have to take that up with them.

Point is, it costs money to create a one-week gift economy, and I love it. So don't harsh my buzz with your inaccurate math and inflation talk.

Edit - Also what Alt12 said posting the Financial Statements. And what Trilobyte said on civility.
Just up or still up?
BurningDaylight

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Abstininthe

Postby bradtem » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:24 pm

essjay wrote:
bradtem wrote:BTW, while prepaid credit cards are available, I have to say I am surprised that the vast bulk of people don't have a friend/loved one who has a credit card and whom they trust enough to make the ticket purchase for them on their card. That avoids the card fee, and the hassle of refunding if you lose the lottery, or win it at a better level than you hoped. I would consider this the first choice, and a prepaid card the 2nd choice.

Then your name would not match up with the ticket. I'm not saying that is not allowed . . . but, with a five month delay between purchase and fulfillment, I would not want to do anything that could in any way complicate the process.

No, your name would not match the *credit card*. There's no reason that they could not allow your friend who orders with the card to put your name on the ticket. I was not even sure that tickets had names associated with them, except if they were for will call. And you can leave tickets at Will Call for a name other than your own.
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Sasha Amara » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:44 pm

I have a headache.
Sasha Amara & Dan Dead
Sasha Amara

Postby essjay » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:19 am

bradtem wrote:
essjay wrote:

No, your name would not match the *credit card*. There's no reason that they could not allow your friend who orders with the card to put your name on the ticket. I was not even sure that tickets had names associated with them, except if they were for will call. And you can leave tickets at Will Call for a name other than your own.

But, there is no ticket until fulfillment - five months after purchase. For all intents and purposes, your card is your ticket - it is the receipt. So, I don't want other names floating in the system should I have a problem getting a ticket and trying to explain that the ticket that Mary Sue Smith bought with her Visa is really my ticket.
essjay

Postby actiongrl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:52 pm

...like 20 new board members?

The Burning Man Project is a separate organization and does not produce Burning Man. And, its new board members (11 of them, actually) are not paid.

http://www.burningmanproject.org
actiongrl

Postby actiongrl » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:56 pm

The FULL information including precise shipping costs and date ranges for billing (they will be within a few days, not weeks, and until we've done it once we can only tell you it will be within that week, not precisely which day the cycle will be completed and run the charges) will be included in the actual registration process & additional announcements as they are completed.

You CAN enter for just one or two or all three tiers. This was always the case [in the past] - you could go for the lower tiers, or you could leave those for others. With 40k tickets available in January, the question is a lot less about "whether I'll get tickets at all" than it is "Whether I'll get one of the lower tiers" - same as it was before. We currently do not believe that first-wave January demand greatly outweighs supply that will be available, meaning your odds of getting a ticket are quite large, and your odds getting one of the lower tiers are basically what they were before.

[Edited to add bracketed text above for clarity]
actiongrl

Postby FenixFaye » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 pm

Would it be worth it to start considering having two Burning Man events a year?? West coast and East coast?? This may lessen the novelty of it, but let's face it.. more people are gravitating towards this event.. EVENTUALLY, they will have to do this..

:shrugs:
'We're all mad here.'
FenixFaye

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion