Main Sale vs. Low Income timing

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Main Sale vs. Low Income timing

Postby ymb » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:37 am

hi there,

thanks for the thought and hard work you all are putting into reorganizing the ticket sale process. i know it can't be easy to re-juggle this.

i have a question: if you can only afford a $240 ticket during mainsale, will you find out if you've received one BEFORE applications for low-income tickets open, so that you can apply for low-income tickets if you don't obtain a $240 tier ticket?

thanks so much.
ymb

Re: Main Sale vs. Low Income timing

Postby lemur » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:06 am

i think the low income and scholarship programs are for people of need.. not a fall back plan...

but in the past i know that there have been people receiving confirmations of getting a low income/scholarship ticket as early as February.

EDIT
it says this in the FAQ:

Q: When does my credit card get charged?
A: After the random selection is complete, your credit card will be charged. ........ For the Main Sale, that would be on or before February 1.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:22 am

looks like the answer is maybe... they say SPRING at the top of the FAQ page..

"Low Income tickets will be available via application in the Spring and will be $160."

on the http://tickets.burningman.com/ page..

LOW INCOME/SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS: These separate programs will be merged into a new program designed to combine the best of each for 2012. ..... Further details will be released after the Main Sale has begun.

Participants will register for the Main Sale during a two-week period from January 9 until January 22 (at 11:59pm PST), 2012. Those who are awarded tickets will receive notification on February 1 via email that their credit cards have been charged for their tickets and at which pricing tier...

if you really have a financial need and fear you might not get the low tier ticket and choose to opt for applying to the low income program.. remember that youre also taking your chances when you go in to the scholarship/low income program as well.. some person reads applications and decides if you get a ticket,...as far as i know, it never was a random or first come first served option..

best bet as far as im concerned would be save up another $80 to allow you to go for the tier two tickets as well as tier one during the first main sale period..

expect a huge response to the low income tickets this year.
lemur

Postby Poipriestess » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm noticing that very little information is available about the changes to the low income ticketing process. It's hard to make a decision about if I should go broke trying to gather the funds for attempting the $240 ticket or not without details about how the program works will you release details before December so people can try to figure put what to do?

I have to say As an 11 year veteran I the bur er community, this sorta is a screwed up process. I want to order two tickets for me and my partner but only want them at the 240 price if I have to pay "regular" price, your current system changes does not allow me a choice in the matter which I consider to be beyond lacking in "radically inclusive" because prices are going up and you're now favoring rich people over poor.

So freaking lame. Makes me not want to support the event.
Poipriestess

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:06 pm

They are still working on the low-income thing. We hope they are designing a measured, thoughtful process, and that the wait will result in something that can be used after year. Which is a long term benefit.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Laughing Forest » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:39 pm

This is all just so UNFAIR!!!

The Burning Man 1% have made manifesting a ticket IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!
Laughing Forest

Postby maryanimal » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm must be having a flash back. Wasn't your post about manifesting a ticket already in the "New system will facilitate a secondary market" thread??

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=290&t=52558
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Giggling Glade is your worst flashback....manifested.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby trilobyte » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:45 pm

@dmb & @poipriestess - details (including application windows) of the low income ticket application process will not be announced until after the Main Sales has begun. This is intentional, so that people don't look at the low income program as a way to hedge one's bets.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby RedHeaven » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:31 pm

I am using this thread instead of making a new one.
Someone help me understand low income tickets and why they exist?

I know a few people that get the low income tickets. It is THEIR CHOICE to be poor. They hop around from festival to festival all year long. Burning Man is just another stop of theirs pretty much....They might not have any money, but they dont really try to make it, either. Me? I work my ass off all year and I cant really afford Burning Man, but I make sacrifices because I want to attend! "American" sacrifices....like skipping festivals to go to burning man, heck I never buy new clothes so I can have extra money for Burning man. I shop at salvation army. I try not to spend of frivolous stuff so I can attend burning man. These friends that have been awarded low income tickets always have a new cool thing to wear because they Sparkle Ponied it somehow. I dont know what kind of letter they write to get a low income ticket but IMO a young sparkle pony chick with no kids who isnt on welfare, why should she get a cheap ticket? Funny thing is is she was barely prepared anyway. She didnt have goggles, hardly any food, she basically could NOT afford Burning Man.

I mean, if youre a starving artist and working your ass off all year on a project FOR BURNING MAN, THEN you should get a discount ticket! Not a Sparkle pony! Burning man is a privlege, not a right!
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby ygmir » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:34 pm

RedHeaven wrote:I am using this thread instead of making a new one.
Someone help me understand low income tickets and why they exist?

I know a few people that get the low income tickets. It is THEIR CHOICE to be poor. They hop around from festival to festival all year long. Burning Man is just another stop of theirs pretty much....They might not have any money, but they dont really try to make it, either. Me? I work my ass off all year and I cant really afford Burning Man, but I make sacrifices because I want to attend! "American" sacrifices....like skipping festivals to go to burning man, heck I never buy new clothes so I can have extra money for Burning man. I shop at salvation army. I try not to spend of frivolous stuff so I can attend burning man. These friends that have been awarded low income tickets always have a new cool thing to wear because they Sparkle Ponied it somehow. I dont know what kind of letter they write to get a low income ticket but IMO a young sparkle pony chick with no kids who isnt on welfare, why should she get a cheap ticket? Funny thing is is she was barely prepared anyway. She didnt have goggles, hardly any food, she basically could NOT afford Burning Man.

I mean, if youre a starving artist and working your ass off all year on a project FOR BURNING MAN, THEN you should get a discount ticket! Not a Sparkle pony! Burning man is a privlege, not a right!

very well said, and spot on!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby lemur » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:36 pm

dont over think it..

its a gesture.... just giving ppls another opportunity for tickets..

the ticket price might matter a lot to everyone who buys them... but as the burning man llc mention about high price tickets subsidizing low price ones.. they know in the end it all averages out to something... so why not add a 'program' that helps people.. and is good PR and seems like a nice thing to do?

so they give a chance to get some cheaper tickets...whats so wrong?

maybe someone gets paid full time at the HQ.. or at worst..or a team.. to work through the applications.. they are 'cheaper' for a few people ..everything equals out in the end.. people get to go to burning man

they still get their money
people still get tickets..

if you feel you apply to the low income thing get one.. if not.. dont..
lemur

Postby portaplaya » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:51 am

RedHeaven wrote:I mean, if youre a starving artist and working your ass off all year on a project FOR BURNING MAN, THEN you should get a discount ticket! Not a Sparkle pony! Burning man is a privlege, not a right!

The whole point about the scholarship/low-income ticket process now is to get someone to read the application and make sure that they ARE a starving artists. We want those sorts.
portaplaya

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:53 am

portaplaya wrote:
RedHeaven wrote:I mean, if youre a starving artist and working your ass off all year on a project FOR BURNING MAN, THEN you should get a discount ticket! Not a Sparkle pony! Burning man is a privlege, not a right!

The whole point about the scholarship/low-income ticket process now is to get someone to read the application and make sure that they ARE a starving artists. We want those sorts.

Sparkleponies aren't so skinny by accident! They have to do plenty of starving, too.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Thanks for the different perspectives. Hey thats how the gypsy queens eat their lunches! by being the go getter. I dont apply for low income tix because I am willing to give up some shit during the year to actually AFFORD my $300 ticket. Different strokes for different folks. I guess I dont feel like scamming my ticket by beefing up a low income ticket resume. To me its way worth the "struggle" to make it to Burning man with more mojo. That way I dont have to bum goggles and dinners off my friends.
RedHeaven

Postby Marscrumbs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Some people live a burning alternate lifestyle all year around helping to create the new society rather than one week yuppie partiers. They certainly deserve a break. Are they still giving Indians cheap tickets too?
Marscrumbs

Postby lemur » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:57 pm

RedHeaven wrote:Thanks for the different perspectives. Hey thats how the gypsy queens eat their lunches! by being the go getter. I dont apply for low income tix because I am willing to give up some shit during the year to actually AFFORD my $300 ticket. Different strokes for different folks. I guess I dont feel like scamming my ticket by beefing up a low income ticket resume. To me its way worth the "struggle" to make it to Burning man with more mojo. That way I dont have to bum goggles and dinners off my friends.

your complaint has been registered and your status as a person better than those who apply for low income program has been noted in the social register.

you can rest assured... knowing that we know you wouldnt stoop so low!!
lemur

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Marscrumbs wrote:Some people live a burning alternate lifestyle all year around helping to create the new society rather than one week yuppie partiers. They certainly deserve a break. Are they still giving Indians cheap tickets too?

I don't understand what you're saying.
Nipple

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:18 pm

So ok I have to ask this.
I work 2 jobs. One as a commision only hair stylist I bring home about $200 every two weeks I am there 4 days a week 9 hours a day. I work as a bartender at night as a small pub 2-4 night a week about 4-7 hours. I make about $150 every two weeks from that plus about $200 in tips every two weeks. I pay $400 a month in rent $170 a month in elec $100 a month in Net/Cable and $50 a month in cell. Plus med and food costs. I am a artist in some forms ( hair and makeup) so with saying this do I not deserve a low income ticket? I am doing a "small" art project for burning man this year. I have been trying to put little bits of money away for burning man 2012. It is going to be a very tight budget. I don't go to festivals the only "vacation" I will have this year is my 3 days in Chicago for Education at Americas Beauty Show. I am doing this only because I try to stay ahead of the trends to gain more clients into the salon. So It is sort of a manditory thing in my eyes to go.

I have never gone so I do not know how the low income ticket works other then I submit a app. I am VERY worried of being turned down cause I really can not afford the $300+ ticket for the main sale as it seems I will not be able to enter the lottery if I do low income as they are at the same time. I wish they would to low income before some how but I do understand the reasoning behind this.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Savannah » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:31 pm

Since you cannot afford the $300, let go of that worry, as there's no point . . . and start thinking about what you can put on your application that will make people want to import your fine, rare substance into the city. I'm sure there is at least a paragraph (if not as essay) where you get to exhibit creativity, where you're coming from, & what you have to contribute. If they ask for photos or art, I personally hope you include the airbrush stuff you've done.

(I know it'd be much easier if the application process was already known.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:40 pm

lemur wrote:
RedHeaven wrote:Thanks for the different perspectives. Hey thats how the gypsy queens eat their lunches! by being the go getter. I dont apply for low income tix because I am willing to give up some shit during the year to actually AFFORD my $300 ticket. Different strokes for different folks. I guess I dont feel like scamming my ticket by beefing up a low income ticket resume. To me its way worth the "struggle" to make it to Burning man with more mojo. That way I dont have to bum goggles and dinners off my friends.

your complaint has been registered and your status as a person better than those who apply for low income program has been noted in the social register.

Nice, now you know how awesome I am....felt good to get it out, too. I needed to vent. Everyone is venting about tickets so this is my contribution. :mrgreen:

Savannah you already sound a hell of a lot more legit than my sparkly friend. Its hard to say this year but good luck to you, I truly believe if you want to go you will go!
RedHeaven

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:07 pm

This has probably already been said, but I dont think they are finished with situating the low income ticket sales. This is from the ticket page on the main site:

"LOW INCOME/SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMS: These separate programs will be merged into a new program designed to combine the best of each for 2012. The total number of low-income tickets will be increased (from last year's total of 3,500) to serve more participants. Further details will be released after the Main Sale has begun."

Fairly vague :|
RedHeaven

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:45 pm

Deliberately so.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Marscrumbs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Nipple wrote:
Marscrumbs wrote:Some people live a burning alternate lifestyle all year around helping to create the new society rather than one week yuppie partiers. They certainly deserve a break. Are they still giving Indians cheap tickets too?

I don't understand what you're saying.

Burning man org was giving low price tickets to the local Shoshone reservation members as a good will gesture a few years ago. But they were reselling them for a profit so I believe they changes their policies.
Marscrumbs

Postby vargaso » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:17 pm

I know Burning Man is basically one big social engineering experiment (my favorite one!), but man, trying to social-engineer the ticketing process doesn't seem to be working out too well. Not explaining the low-income ticket buying process until later just so some people won't use that option when they don't necessarily have to? That's an odd decision. Look, I know lots of people on here seem consider ANY criticism of BMORG policies as whining or somehow less than "radically self-reliant," but you have to admit, they've really complicated what should be a simple process, and jacked up the prices to boot. In any case, of course I'm still going, but boy, this is interesting.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Marscrumbs wrote:
Burning man org was giving low price tickets to the local Shoshone reservation members as a good will gesture a few years ago. But they were reselling them for a profit so I believe they changes their policies.

Not Shoshone, Paiute.... and they were still doing it last year and there is no reason why they won't be this year.
(at least not published, even if they don't)
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:27 pm

vargaso wrote:I know Burning Man is basically one big social engineering experiment (my favorite one!), but man, trying to social-engineer the ticketing process doesn't seem to be working out too well. Not explaining the low-income ticket buying process until later just so some people won't use that option when they don't necessarily have to? That's an odd decision. Look, I know lots of people on here seem consider ANY criticism of BMORG policies as whining or somehow less than "radically self-reliant," but you have to admit, they've really complicated what should be a simple process, and jacked up the prices to boot. In any case, of course I'm still going, but boy, this is interesting.

I don't know if I consider expressing opinions of the llc as whining, I've been known to do it myself. But I still maintain that if we saw a medium sized cluster-fuck on ticket day last January, then they saw a Humongous, Ginormous, Unending, and Catastrophic cluster-fuck.
It was more than a medium-sized cluster-fuck that we saw. Do your own scaling up.

I don't know that this new process doesn't work. And so I reserve my judgment. Save up my energy for something more important. Besides, waiting for the llc to wait to do things the way you think best is a sucker's game.

IMO.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby maryanimal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:16 am

lemur wrote:

*giggles*
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby gyre » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:10 am

In the past, you could not buy a ticket and then apply for low income tickets.

I've heard the republican rants before, so I issue this invitation:

If low income/ poverty/ prison/ welfare/ disability/ health problems/ whatever cushy fantasy you choose as your envy, calls to you, the fucking doors are wide open to your easy life.
Step right through.

Too bad it doesn't always work the other way.
gyre

Postby BBadger » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:42 am

Laughing Forest wrote:This is all just so UNFAIR!!!

The Burning Man 1% have made manifesting a ticket IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

If the 1% are making it impossible for mooching, dirty hippies from attending, PRAISE BE THE 1%!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion