Burning Man 2012 Tickets FAQ

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Burning Man 2012 Tickets FAQ

Postby harmonydawn » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:35 pm

I have a question: I would like to bring my soon-to-be-born baby to the playa next year. She will be about 8mo old. Does she need a ticket? Or can we consider her a part of my costume? (just kidding! :D )
harmonydawn

Postby alt12 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:38 pm

trilobyte wrote:@littlejack - each tier is drawn for separately (my understanding is they're drawn lowest to highest). So if you check all three boxes and get awarded 2 tix at tier 1, you'd get charged the tier 1 price and be ineligible to get tickets at tier 2 or tier 3 (because you'd already hit your 2 ticket limit). Charged at the tier that you were selected in, not automatically at your max price. One registration per person, and you can not use the same credit card. Otherwise you should be okay, I'll see if I can get some additional clarification.

@Key Man - you can check one, two, or three ticket tiers. You will be charged for whichever tier you get awarded tickets in. And yes, tickets are transferrable (as they have been in previous years).

@jkisha - you can check one, two, or three ticket tiers. If you're willing to pay any price check all three boxes. You will be charged for whichever tier you get awarded tickets in. If you're in great financial shape and are willing and able to abstain from one of the lower tier drawings to help out those who have less, you can do that too. EDIT - I was totally wrong about that last bit, you can not 'opt out' of the lower tiers.

@VultureChow - life's full of chances, but with the level of advance planning and preparation you're at, you're way ahead of the game.

do you have some inside knowledge about this? Nothing in the FAQ says anything about selecting 3 different tiers. And in fact, the initial announcement suggested you only select 1-tier ("the most you're willing to pay). I'm skeptical of this whole set-up and frustrated but the lack of details. The difference between fucked-in-the-ass by BMORG and being treated fairly like a human being is in the details, which they still haven't adequately addressed...
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby alt12 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Jewel Man wrote:
actiongrl wrote:The services and cost of running Burning Man definitely do not stay the same. Compare the afterburn reports for some of the complexities. This thing gets more involved and evolved every year, and as awareness has increased, the workload has increased enormously. And supplies, materials, labor etc. are not fixed costs, they are subject to inflation as well.

As I said, inflation is zero and 99% of all BM labor is free. All service providers are dropping their prices just so they have work. Ask any carpenter. Nevada has one of the highest unemployment rates in the states. Yes the total dollars of cost might increase but so does the number of tickets sold so they cancel each other out. The average cost per person does not increase. Stop drinking the Kool Aid. There is a reason the financials of BM are kept top secret to preserve the myth. Face it, we are all puppets of Mr Harvey, aka Gordon Gekko.

According to the grossly manipulated official CPI # as of last week is 3.5%. Calculated using pre-Clinto methodology by the BLS its closer to 7%.
alt12

Postby trilobyte » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:46 pm

@alt12 - please note my edit. You can not opt out of the tiers below. You pick tier one, tier two, or tier three - they include that tier and the ones below. Your mileage may vary, I guess. To me it seems like there's a wealth of information on the ticket info page and FAQ...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby alt12 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Jewel Man wrote:
trilobyte wrote:Man, I wish I lived in one of those magic places with zero inflation and no increases in things like rent, utilities, insurance rates, fees, employee salaries, fuel and transportation costs, and so on...

Apparently you are not self-employed. Why don't you do some research and ask someone who has their own business how much their fees have increased in the last 2 years and then come back to this board and make an informed opinion. In the mean time, keep your head deep in the playa, Mr Harvey is counting on it.

Instead of insulting people, why don't you consult the facts: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

Your own biased perspective as a self-employed person is not relevant to overall inflation #s. I am self-employed as well. I have increased my rates but that is particular to my own business. I would not be arrogant or presumptious enough to assume that my own personal experience is the OFFICIAL world-wide experience. Primary costs for the average individual and business are in order of magnitude a) rents b) energy c) food (people at least).... If you don't believe the government stats (and believe me they are highly invested in UNDER reporting inflation), run the #s yourself.
alt12

Postby alt12 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:57 pm

trilobyte wrote:@alt12 - please note my edit. You can not opt out of the tiers below. You pick tier one, tier two, or tier three - they include that tier and the ones below. Your mileage may vary, I guess. To me it seems like there's a wealth of information on the ticket info page and FAQ...

Well I'll take you word for it. I could not find any language on the FAQ or the train ticketing page explaining how many tiers you can select (i.e. just 1 or all 3). It just says vaguely that "you'll register for tickets" and then that

" random selection will be conducted to award 40,000 tickets as follows:
$240: 10,000 tickets
$320: 15,000 tickets
$390: 15,000 tickets"

Nowhere that I could see does it explain how those tickets are distributed and what precisely you are registering for. Am I only allowed to register for 1-tier or can I register for all 3-tiers. Again I don't see anywhere in the FAQ were this is spelled out. This would obviously make a big difference.
alt12

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:16 pm

alt12 wrote:Well I'll take you word for it. I could not find any language on the FAQ or the train ticketing page explaining how many tiers you can select (i.e. just 1 or all 3).

It seems to say it pretty clear to me. Opt for the highest you are willing to pay, you will be entered into that one & all the ones beneath it. You can only win from one tier.

BURNING MAN 2012 TICKETS FAQ wrote:Q: Will I possibly end up buying a ticket at a pricing tier I can’t afford?
A: No. During registration, you’re able to specify the highest pricing tier you wish to be considered for.

Q: How do I increase my chances of getting a ticket in the Main Sale?
A: You can increase your chances by opting into all the pricing tiers.* (We believe, based on many years of analyzing supply and demand, that most participants will find they are able to access a ticket on an acceptable timeline.)

*emphasis mine, not in original FAQ
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby EasterEggBuzz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:21 pm

I have an idea. Let's ask for feedback and suggestions, then ignore it.
EasterEggBuzz

Postby lemur » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:57 pm

EasterEggBuzz wrote:I have an idea. Let's ask for feedback and suggestions, then ignore it.

they cant implement every change people wanted (some are quite frankly.. stupid.)

and they cant address every concern people have either..

some peoples ideas will be ignored outright, some peoples feedback and suggestions will be passed over for other peoples feedback and suggestions and some stuff they decided and wont change however upset or wise the community is..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby trilobyte » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Actually, EasterEggBunz, quite a bit of feedback from ePlaya went into what's in the FAQ, and a few of the minor changes that were made to the ticket plan this week came out of the boards. Nothing from you, of course, since you were neither here nor contributing. But that sort of thing does happen from time to time, if you care to stick around and participate in the community.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby EasterEggBuzz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:15 pm

People were asked to give feedback on the new system. They overwhelmingly said they didn't like it. This was ignored. Want evidence? Check these boards. Or social media. Or stories in conventional media. Nah, just ignore it. That's what BMorg did.
EasterEggBuzz

Postby astrogirl » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:18 pm

THIS IS FUCKING RETARDED.

As an artist who lives paycheck to paycheck...I see this as WEEDING OUT THE LOW INCOME PEOPLE ONCE AND FOR ALL...

WAY TO GO. This is total BULLSHIT. Lamest Idea EVER. Ya'll should go back to the drawing board cause this stinks.
Come together, dance and celebrate. Let's dance and make a difference. I love to rock the dance floor- Whose with me?

You burners fucking rule...

xoxo astrogirl
astrogirl

Postby jkisha » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Why don't you just apply for a low income ticket and stop complaining. It is what it is. The other option is to make more money.

astrogirl wrote:THIS IS FUCKING RETARDED.

As an artist who lives paycheck to paycheck...I see this as WEEDING OUT THE LOW INCOME PEOPLE ONCE AND FOR ALL...

WAY TO GO. This is total BULLSHIT. Lamest Idea EVER. Ya'll should go back to the drawing board cause this stinks.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby EasterEggBuzz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:32 pm

trilobyte wrote:Actually, EasterEggBunz, quite a bit of feedback from ePlaya went into what's in the FAQ, and a few of the minor changes that were made to the ticket plan this week came out of the boards. Nothing from you, of course, since you were neither here nor contributing. But that sort of thing does happen from time to time, if you care to stick around and participate in the community.

Wow, so you mean you took all that feedback and then came up with a FAQ as to why most of the feedback was wrong? Is this year's theme "Condescension"? Or maybe, "We're Right, You're Wrong".

btw, are you guaranteed a ticket?
EasterEggBuzz

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:36 pm

My income is so far below the poverty level I need a snorkel..
I saw the hand writing on the wall last year.. So got off my ass and started to put moneys togeather.. Damned if It didn't have enough to bid third tier..
AS it has been said.. Those that plan, go to Burning Man
unjonharley

Postby trilobyte » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:37 pm

People did give feedback on the new system starting when the JRS came out back on the 11th. If you took that to mean "we're thinking of making changes to the ticket plan, you tell us what to do" you and your friends were sorely mistaken. Among the response, there was some great stuff, including some valid concerns and questions that were compiled and addressed in the FAQ. If you think that didn't happen, then again you're very sorely mistaken.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby EasterEggBuzz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:44 pm

trilobyte wrote:People did give feedback on the new system starting when the JRS came out back on the 11th. If you took that to mean "we're thinking of making changes to the ticket plan, you tell us what to do" you and your friends were sorely mistaken. Among the response, there was some great stuff, including some valid concerns and questions that were compiled and addressed in the FAQ. If you think that didn't happen, then again you're very sorely mistaken.

...because you and the BMorg echo chamber know better than the community which overwhelmingly thought the plan was a bad one. Amazing, isn't it, that the BM community overwhelmingly fails to recognize the genius of the plan?

EasterEggBuzz

Postby lemur » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:49 pm

EasterEggBuzz wrote:

so what if he is?
lemur

Postby EasterEggBuzz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:53 pm

lemur wrote:
EasterEggBuzz wrote:

so what if he is?

then he might have a hard time relating to the anxiety and anger others are feeling... all insulated in the BMorg echo chamber
EasterEggBuzz

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:53 pm

I've been unemployed for a year & a half; picking up side money by doing art. To get to Burning Man I juggle bills, I trade, I barter outside the event- I've made it the last two times. I'm planning on having a pre-paid CC with enough for 3rd tier ready to roll when the registration opens. How? Still working on it; we might be eating a little more ramen for the next two months, I might sell some stuff I don't need. It will happen, because I want it to.

If the difference between a $240 ticket (that you probably wouldn't have gotten anyway under the old system) and a $390 ticket is too great, can you really afford the event? The ticket is the cheap part.

EasterEggBuzz wrote:btw, are you guaranteed a ticket?

Mods buy tickets just like everyone else. We get to read endless rants for Fun.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby alt12 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Eric wrote:
alt12 wrote:Well I'll take you word for it. I could not find any language on the FAQ or the train ticketing page explaining how many tiers you can select (i.e. just 1 or all 3).

It seems to say it pretty clear to me. Opt for the highest you are willing to pay, you will be entered into that one & all the ones beneath it. You can only win from one tier.

BURNING MAN 2012 TICKETS FAQ wrote:Q: Will I possibly end up buying a ticket at a pricing tier I can’t afford?
A: No. During registration, you’re able to specify the highest pricing tier you wish to be considered for.

Q: How do I increase my chances of getting a ticket in the Main Sale?
A: You can increase your chances by opting into all the pricing tiers.* (We believe, based on many years of analyzing supply and demand, that most participants will find they are able to access a ticket on an acceptable timeline.)

*emphasis mine, not in original FAQ

ah ok, I didn't see that. That is helpful. It still leaves the question of if I opt for all 3 tiers are they going to run the lottery for tier 3 first and then tier 2 and then tier 1 or will it be tier 1 then tier 2 then tier 3. Obviously that would make a big difference. If they were trying to shake out the tier-3 people first then I probably won't even select tier 3 at all and take my chances with tier 2 or tier 1.

Again, more details would be helpful here to make an informed decision on such a radically different system.
alt12

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:08 pm

alt12 wrote:ah ok, I didn't see that. That is helpful.

S'okay- I've read the FAQ about 4 times now. We'll be answering lots of these questions! :D

It still leaves the question of if I opt for all 3 tiers are they going to run the lottery for tier 3 first and then tier 2 and then tier 1 or will it be tier 1 then tier 2 then tier 3. Obviously that would make a big difference. If they were trying to shake out the tier-3 people first then I probably won't even select tier 3 at all and take my chances with tier 2 or tier 1.

I don't know on that one (I think it's 1-2-3, but I don't know if I read it or just think it). I'll see if we can get further clarification (don't expect super fast turn-around, they're busy on many fronts with this)

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:20 pm

Jewel Man wrote:
actiongrl wrote:The services and cost of running Burning Man definitely do not stay the same. Compare the afterburn reports for some of the complexities. This thing gets more involved and evolved every year, and as awareness has increased, the workload has increased enormously. And supplies, materials, labor etc. are not fixed costs, they are subject to inflation as well.

As I said, inflation is zero and 99% of all BM labor is free. All service providers are dropping their prices just so they have work. Ask any carpenter. Nevada has one of the highest unemployment rates in the states. Yes the total dollars of cost might increase but so does the number of tickets sold so they cancel each other out. The average cost per person does not increase. Stop drinking the Kool Aid. There is a reason the financials of BM are kept top secret to preserve the myth. Face it, we are all puppets of Mr Harvey, aka Gordon Gekko.

this whole exchange is very rich.

and bowing to Actiongrl, would politely disagree with this assessment.

Mr Harvey is a shape shifting vampire, i know this because someone very close to someone who like, has ties to the girlfriend of this dude who works near first camp, told me.

i swear.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Laughing Forest » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:35 pm

This is all just so UNFAIR!!!

The Burning Man 1% have made manifesting a ticket IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!
Laughing Forest

Postby Harinama » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:48 pm

Rather simple, actually:

1) MAIN Ticket Sales: A 3 day ticket purchase window, customers choose top price willing to pay. 1 week later, successive lotteries occur, from low to higher price, and customers are added up to their top price chosen. By Feb 1st, ticket winners are notified, and their payment methods activated.
2) 2nd Lottery occurs, same process as first.
3) OPEN Ticket Sales: "Mad rush" style purchase of tickets at 3rd tier price(under presale), just like we've always seen. BM sells through open sales until all tickets are gone.
4) No ticket sales at the gate, or through local merchants.

Get in early registration, and give best chance of getting tickets. Almost everyone that wants tickets and is motivated to get them will.

So everyone relax, this could be a better system!
Harinama Das
"inner peace is but a universe away"
Harinama

How do I register

Postby DesireeTime » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:52 pm

I see all this talk about registering for presales and no information about how to do so. Please let me know how I register.

Thanks,
Desiree
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
DesireeTime

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Postby AntiM » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:56 pm

Laughing Forest wrote:This is all just so UNFAIR!!!

Manifest a pre-paid credit card, that should ease your pain.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: How do I register

Postby AntiM » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:59 pm

DesireeTime wrote:I see all this talk about registering for presales and no information about how to do so. Please let me know how I register.

Thanks,
Desiree

Per the FAQ, registration for pre-sales opens November 28th. Tier sales on January 9th. Too early to register right now, anyway. I think, I'd have to go look. Or you could read the FAQ for the dates yourself.

Dammit, if I'd known we had to read the damn thing to them.....
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:59 pm

AntiM wrote:
Laughing Forest wrote:This is all just so UNFAIR!!!

Manifest a pre-paid credit card, that should ease your pain.

You know she never pays for it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Re: How do I register

Postby lemur » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:00 pm

AntiM wrote:Dammit, if I'd known we had to read the damn thing to them.....

i will hold your hand in the porta potty, if you want me to..

this is a new service im providing in 2012.
lemur

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion