Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:08 am

Thank you to everyone who participated, I was nearly artless when I returned home. So many wonderful donations! Yes, I did cull some of that art out, as fodder for this year.

Yesterday we hit the thrift shop; I found three stretch canvas landscapes, all ready and ripe for a Godzilla invasion ($2 each, whatta deal). A wooden toad "bell". A "braid my hair" Pony head (will be a gift, but still....), and wonders of wonders: a framed black velvet rainbow unicorn ... In Space! For $3! WOW.

Looks to be a stellar year of Godzilla vs. Kittens.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:25 am

I actually made a few unique pieces to donate in 2011. Dragged them 2,700 miles to BRC and then once I hit playa time, never made it the last mile to donate them.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Drawingablank wrote:I actually made a few unique pieces to donate in 2011. Dragged them 2,700 miles to BRC and then once I hit playa time, never made it the last mile to donate them.
LOL, that's about right! If they're smallish/light, you can mail them to me.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Kendoll adopted a lovely photograph of golden trees taken by your father I believe. It has a nice lovely home in the airstream.
Loved your place!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:49 pm

KITTEH FOR THE WIN!
Frida Be You & Me

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 pm

AntiM wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:I actually made a few unique pieces to donate in 2011. Dragged them 2,700 miles to BRC and then once I hit playa time, never made it the last mile to donate them.
LOL, that's about right! If they're smallish/light, you can mail them to me.
They were leather and would fit in a standard enveope so I'll do that this year - hopefully will have a few more made by next burn.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:31 pm

I found two more boxes when I was cleaning up...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Fishy somehow I totally missed all the boxes. I was looking for them too.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:40 am

Boxes of art, and shadow boxes of ponies, two different things, yes? The ponies were in the bar.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:05 am

That's it, AntiM.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:06 pm

well dang, that's why I couldn't find them then. I was looking at the Wayward Art booth for them.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:04 pm

I suppose I'd best explain this rodeo for the new folks:
Anti M's Home for Wayward Art is a place for small art, medium art, amateur art, but especially Bad Art, Lost Art, Found Art, Art which Needs a Good Spanking, and of course, Wayward Art. This is not a gallery, it is more like juvenile detention for art, an orphanage, a half-way house for misfit art. All art in the Home is up for adoption, all the prospective new parent needs to do is fill out a small adoption form and clip it to the Home in place of their newfound art darling. Art may also be committed to the Home, just put it securely in place and say good-bye. While the emphasis is on visual art such as paintings, drawings and photos, sculptural art and trinkets found their way into the Home last year and then found new homes.

Why? I love to paint, I love to do miniatures, I love to give things away. Based on the concepts of art and gifting, I came up with the Home. Why Bad Art? While I am quite good at miniatures, I am a beginner painter and not always pleased with my products. I also glean art from thrift stores and friends and family and yard sales.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:48 am

What the HFWA does in the off-season (leaf catcher):
Attachments
008 - Copy.JPG
008 - Copy.JPG (806.5 KiB) Viewed 11139 times

ygmir
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:51 am

I cherish my t-shirt..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

jcoffy

Post by jcoffy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:53 am

Anti M,
I love your camp! I am creating my own art camp this year and am looking for a few pointers. Here is my camp idea....Right now I am making a small gift everyday. Then I make a small painting about each gift. At the end of one year (burn night 2012) I am going to give all of the paintings away. People will be able to look up the paintings on my blog to see the stories that inspired the paintings that they have.

I think I will need 8 half sheets of plywood to display all of the paintings. A big tent...and a sense of fun and humor. Any ideas on how I can pull this all off...? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is the address to my project's page.www.theGiftProlific.com [url]www.thegiftprolific.com[/url]

Thanks a lot in advance. See you out there....I can't wait for the Godzilla Vs. Kitten showdown!

Joshy

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:07 am

Joshy, you rock.
Frida Be You & Me

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:21 am

I love this idea!

Okay, nuts and bolts:

Okay, when you give the paintings away, how will you do that? At your camp? One on one? Because then you might not get them all into the right hands, as many people go out all night of the burn, but up early and leave. Most folks wont' remember they way back to your camp much less what they're supposed to pick up. So think about giving some away throughout the week, or on Friday. If you're out and about handing them out, folks could lose them, or be so distracted, they'd not grasp what your gift means.

Display: plywood catches wind and makes great sails, sounds like you want them in a tent. Yes? How do you get people to stop and look inside? How will you keep the tent cool enough to entice folks in? Will it run at night? How will you power lights? How will you attach the paintings? How will you haul all that weight? Will it be in camp or on the open playa?

Have you seen my project while up and running? I don't know if you've seen it in person. Here's some of why it is the way it is:

It is made of chicken wire so the wind blows through it and is lightweight to haul. Repairs are simple if needed. The original plan was to make it free standing out on the open playa. I was going to display art all week, then let people take home what they liked. I realized that some folks would love pieces but not be able to come back for them for several reasons. I also realized daily maintenance would be a bitch if it wasn't in camp. The art needs tending, and the wind is mean; we decide to use our trailer as a support stand for it.
I decided people could give and take whenever they wanted. I thought about a journal for them to sign, but I never could find a ledger I liked. So I have adoption cards which I put in books. People do look at them sometimes, but they are falling apart and I failed to date them.... oops. That's my weak link, the cards. I do love reading the responses to the art, but sometimes people aren't in good condition to express themselves, and a few just choose to take without participating in the card half of the interaction. I let the Home run on autopilot, so things happen. People steal stuff too, which means I keep the infrastructure to a minimum.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:55 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:Joshy, you rock.

Indeed he does. I can't wait to see the final project.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:38 am

What's funny is when I look back at older years, I can recall painting each one of my pictures, and sometimes what I was thinking, what led to them.

Josh, I love you are documenting your work in your blog. I do that a bit, but not nearly often enough. I can't paint all year, as I paint in my kitchen and there are times when I reclaim my kitchen table. I tend to go on painting marathons, with leftover paint becoming the base for the next picture. I paint on canvas board, stretch canvas when I can afford to give it out, wood, matte board, and stuff. I love collage work and mixed media. Anything is fodder for the process. The clearance racks at craft stores give me a lot to work with.

Hmmmm, an art ghetto camp......

jcoffy

Post by jcoffy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:07 am

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't thought of Chicken Wire walls....That could work well. I was thinking plywood with pretty sturdy stands. Inside a dome or a cool tent. I was going to build a cool sign, get in the WWW guide, and maybe hava canvas and some paints out front. I was also thinking about holding a discussion about giving in the real world but that doesn't really seem like that much fun....But hey if Heebee Jeebee Healers can suck me into some of their shitty lectures why not? LOL. Seriously though I may make some chicken Wire Walls.

As for giving them out, you brought up all the points that I have kind of struggling with. I would like to have all of the paintings together for a few days and then start giving them out....say Friday ish. I know that not everyone will find a way back to my camp that wants a painting...I did think about giving out sheets or cards to claim paintings before you could take them down but this might be a giant pain in the ass. hmmm. I could do both.....give out paintings while walking around and give them out in the daytime at the camp. I also though about adding my project to a bigger camp so that a lot of the infrastructure is in place. This will be my 6th year so I feel comfortable doing whatever work they need done. This project is huge. I am having such a great time doing it.

I have been planning on renting a pretty big truck, and building a big tent.,,,which I do not own. So the expense is already hard to figure out. Plus the cost of paints and materials. I have been painting mostly on canvas but have used quite a bit of birch plywood to....It is cheap and light weight. I want to give back to the BRC community that has really changed my life so much....but maybe this project would be better off not being there. I go back and forth on it a lot. But the original plan is to give away all the art at BRC. If I start Friday I have to give away 123 paintings a day. Is that even possible. I gave away 5 last year.....hmmm.

Thanks for checking out my blog. I think people will really like this idea. The response so far has been nothing but positive.

I like your set up....I know I wondered by that once. I dont remember which year or where I was....lol.

jcoffy

Post by jcoffy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:08 am

[quote="Simon of the Playa"]Joshy, you rock.[/quote]

Thank you Simon. I am glad you like the idea. Hope to see you there....Come by and get a painting.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:47 am

Would a large monkey hut work for your art? Or are you looking at protecting the paintings a bit more from the elements?

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:06 pm

jcoffy wrote:Thanks for the tips. I hadn't thought of Chicken Wire walls....That could work well. I was thinking plywood with pretty sturdy stands. Inside a dome or a cool tent. I was going to build a cool sign, get in the WWW guide, and maybe hava canvas and some paints out front. I was also thinking about holding a discussion about giving in the real world but that doesn't really seem like that much fun....But hey if Heebee Jeebee Healers can suck me into some of their shitty lectures why not? LOL. Seriously though I may make some chicken Wire Walls.

As for giving them out, you brought up all the points that I have kind of struggling with. I would like to have all of the paintings together for a few days and then start giving them out....say Friday ish. I know that not everyone will find a way back to my camp that wants a painting...I did think about giving out sheets or cards to claim paintings before you could take them down but this might be a giant pain in the ass. hmmm. I could do both.....give out paintings while walking around and give them out in the daytime at the camp. I also though about adding my project to a bigger camp so that a lot of the infrastructure is in place. This will be my 6th year so I feel comfortable doing whatever work they need done. This project is huge. I am having such a great time doing it.

I have been planning on renting a pretty big truck, and building a big tent.,,,which I do not own. So the expense is already hard to figure out. Plus the cost of paints and materials. I have been painting mostly on canvas but have used quite a bit of birch plywood to....It is cheap and light weight. I want to give back to the BRC community that has really changed my life so much....but maybe this project would be better off not being there. I go back and forth on it a lot. But the original plan is to give away all the art at BRC. If I start Friday I have to give away 123 paintings a day. Is that even possible. I gave away 5 last year.....hmmm.

Thanks for checking out my blog. I think people will really like this idea. The response so far has been nothing but positive.

I like your set up....I know I wondered by that once. I dont remember which year or where I was....lol.
What infrastructure do you desire in a camp? Power, shower, kitchen? Genny? Shade? Helping hands?

Also, I move around 500 pieces of art at teh event. Granted, a lot of it moves itself, as my project is self-serve, but that's about the volume I have experienced. Perhaps more, because not everyone does cards.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:43 am

Fertility, huh? See? I'm psychic.
Attachments
HFWA egg edit 3 - Copy.jpg
HFWA egg edit 3 - Copy.jpg (113.6 KiB) Viewed 11138 times

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:58 am

I have the tee-shirt!
The Lady with a Lamprey

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:19 am

Not much going on on the HFWA homefront this season. However, as December ends, look carefully at your 2011 wall calender. Is it art fodder? Would those images be cool in a collage, or just mounted? Art is where you find it!

My two expiring calenders are one of Japanese woodblocks, and one of illusion art. Definitely going to be mounted nicely and put up for adoption.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:07 pm

AntiM wrote:Not much going on on the HFWA homefront this season. However, as December ends, look carefully at your 2011 wall calender. Is it art fodder? Would those images be cool in a collage, or just mounted? Art is where you find it!

My two expiring calenders are one of Japanese woodblocks, and one of illusion art. Definitely going to be mounted nicely and put up for adoption.
So you take donations? Cause I was gifted a kit to make a largish 3 howling wolf needlepoint that I would love to make, and none of my friends or family would appreciate it, even ironically.
Sic Semper Spectatores

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Yes, she accepts donations. I keep an eye out for cheap, weird art year round.
The Lady with a Lamprey

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:17 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Yes, she accepts donations. I keep an eye out for cheap, weird art year round.
And Godzillas, don't forget the Godzillas.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:37 pm

VultureChow wrote:
AntiM wrote:Not much going on on the HFWA homefront this season. However, as December ends, look carefully at your 2011 wall calender. Is it art fodder? Would those images be cool in a collage, or just mounted? Art is where you find it!

So you take donations? Cause I was gifted a kit to make a largish 3 howling wolf needlepoint that I would love to make, and none of my friends or family would appreciate it, even ironically.

It would be a howling success. What is odd is someone might love it un-ironically!

Return to “2012 Art & Performance”