Let's see a positive turnaround here.

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Let's see a positive turnaround here.

Postby britzbitz » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:29 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Too late now.. :twisted:

well fuck.

you'd think i'd have learned to ask questions first by now.
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
britzbitz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Postby A Jester » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:30 pm

YOU STUPID NOOB, YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!

This isn't some yippie jam fest for a bunch of your stoned college friends to vaguely remember. This is way more important than whatever lameass music fests you've been to. That's why you're soo off base. That and you're too young to have experienced half of what you should before you can really understand Burning Man.

incubus_pantomime wrote:I know I'm new, so feel free to sling mud at me and say I'm young/stupid/etc...but take a moment to take in the information and truly process it before you say I'm wrong.

Actually, I don't feel that way at all, it just didn't seem like anyone was taking you up on the offer.

Nice post, nicely stated, and if you're a Birgin I imagine your post event outlook on life will be even cooler. Or heck, maybe it will be exactly the same as it is now. Either way, I'll appreciate it.

Welcome.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:11 pm

Hey now there ya go.
Trial by fire.
Now you're in.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elderberry » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Wet Blanket. Who the hell are you to try and spoil my fun?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :wink:
incubus_pantomime wrote:I really don't understand all the complaining and carrying-on about this whole process. I'm still not sold on the lottery process, but I'm not about to spout some stupid idea like an Occupy BM scheme, especially when we haven't heard all of the details. I'm inclined to think that I will still be able to attend my virgin burn, regardless of this new ticketing process, because I planned ahead (both monetarily and mentally).

I'm thinking that this lottery system is anything but a game of chance. I think that the BMOrg is going to take in all the bets they receive. Let's say 50,000, though I know that it will likely be more. The lottery will then have exactly 50,000 winners. Everyone is going to get a ticket, but they will receive them in waves, to take the burden off of BM's ticket servers, and reduce a lot of stress (which is so ironic at this point). By the time the event rolls around, everyone who "placed a bet" during the registration process will have received a ticket. If my hunch is correct, I see no problem whatsoever with this lottery system. Ok, so I'll have to wait. Big deal.

Now, I know that Burning Man is not a music festival by any stretch of the imagination, but hear me out. I'm 23, and I'm from Texas. I just graduated from college, and now I'm in grad school. So, by nature, I'm always broke. Given that, I still attend at least four different music festivals every year, one of which is in California. I've been going to Coachella for a few years now, and though I am broke, I manage to babysit/work longer hours/ask for money at Christmas/whatever to scrape together the $800 it costs for me to go ($300 for my ticket, $200 for my portion of the rental car and hotel, $100 for my part of gas and food, and $200 spending money). This also applies for Austin City Limits ($200), FunFunFun Festival ($200), and Free Press Summer Fest ($150), all of which I plan ahead for and make it to unscathed. I'm also able to go to these events while enrolled in school full-time, even when it means that I have to take tests a week early or turn in a final project in advance. Point is, I fucking make it work. Sorry for the harsh language, but it's sad to see so many people that are close to my age, bitching and complaining about something they can't change, instead of taking control of all of the other aspects of this pilgrimage (transportation, money, food, etc), and being content with the fact that the people who created this event are not going to screw them over for no reason. They know there's a problem, and they're using what resources they have to fix it. Plan ahead, quit bitching, and wait until you know everything before you start some asinine Occupy scheme. If I get a ticket, and I see people actually doing this, it's going to take everything in my power to not kick the shit outta someone.

I know I'm new, so feel free to sling mud at me and say I'm young/stupid/etc...but take a moment to take in the information and truly process it before you say I'm wrong.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Katiebaby25 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Its so refreshing to see a post like this instead of all the other negative ones I've read!

You're so right about taking charge rather than bitching about something we don't have control over, or even full details on! The ticket here (no pun intended... ok maybe a bit), as you said, is to plan ahead. This year was my first Burn and I started planning last September. Burning Man is a big committment in so many ways, you simply have to be prepared ahead of time.

I have no doubt in my mind that my friends and I will be able to get tickets again (If we could do it in the first sold out year, we can do it again!) and before we know it we'll be dancing in that lovely dust :)
*Sgnoflake*
Space Gnomes <;)
Katiebaby25

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Space Gnomes

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Mmmmm... snowflakes.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby deutlich » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Man is it nice to read this. N00b too and just over all the rhetoric.

Planning ahead is key. I was traveling up & down the east coast for concerts (in my Geo) when I was 23. I was still in college, broke as fuck, doing just what you did.

BM is always at the same time of year, so if anyone is stressing about timing, isn't that just on them?
deutlich

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Thumper

Postby incubus_pantomime » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:21 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:YOU, my dear,
Are SCORCHINGLY HOT in so many ways.

How chivalrous of you, sir! Bitches love chivalry. :P

A Jester wrote:Actually, I don't feel that way at all, it just didn't seem like anyone was taking you up on the offer.

Nice post, nicely stated, and if you're a Birgin I imagine your post event outlook on life will be even cooler. Or heck, maybe it will be exactly the same as it is now. Either way, I'll appreciate it.

Welcome.
[/quote]

Thanks! I'm hoping that my outlook on life will improve. Maybe I'll find the secret to loving myself regardless of what society tries to tell me is "beautiful"...and how to enjoy the little things (both of which I can struggle with from time to time). I plan on doing a solo deep playa outing and truly spending some time to reflect on myself and the world I live in.
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Postby Sham » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:49 pm

So my dear Mary-Frances, I slithered back to your introduction and realize that you are an amazing person. There is no doubt in my mind that you are going to feel so at home on the playa, that you will be wondering what took you so long to attend.
I hope to see you on the playa in 2012! :D
Sham

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:56 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
remi wrote:Agree x 23.741³

Oh, great, go ahead and spoil it with maaaath. (spits) ;)

An incubus is male and a succubus is female, but I don't expect every birgin to be versed in demonology.

I'm VERY well versed Ugly, what can i get for you?

http://goetia-girls.com/
I'd rather Burn on my Feet, than Rave on my knees

Frida Be You & Me

A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby incubus_pantomime » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Ok, so I have a serious question now. Being a Birgin, I don't know a lot about the low income ticket policy. I know how much they cost, but I can't seem to find a lot of details. From what little I have gathered, it sounds like I'll need to fill out a form that states why I deserve a low income ticket, and I send that off with either cash or a money order to the BMOrg, and they decide whether or not I should get a ticket at a lower price. What I want to know is this: do most of the applicants receive a ticket, or is it a competitive applicant pool fighting over a few tickets? And furthermore, what determines need? Do I attach a copy of my tax return with my application, or maybe a bank statement? It would be nice to know a little more before I decide to try for one. If it sounds like I could have a serious chance at receiving a low income ticket, that would be great. If I'm not considered to be a low income applicant, I'll sign up for the lottery with no worries.
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Postby trilobyte » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:06 pm

It's a competitive applicant pool. Fighting to the death. In a cage! Just kidding about the last two, but I do understand that there are typically applicant pools that are larger than the allotted supply. Officially, "the Low Income process is an application that is read and approved by a human being" (from the FAQ). Hard to say what the odds are exactly, until you know both how many tickets may be available (not yet announced), and how many have applied (consider that one an unknown variable). Further details on the low income program will not be announced/made available until after the Main Sale has begun, and you have to choose one or the other. Basically, they want you to think long and hard about whether you can afford to get a ticket in the main sale at $240.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lemur » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:43 pm

incubus_pantomime wrote: it sounds like I'll need to fill out a form that states why I deserve a low income ticket, and I send that off with either cash or a money order to the BMOrg, and they decide whether or not I should get a ticket at a lower price. What I want to know is this: do most of the applicants receive a ticket, or is it a competitive applicant pool fighting over a few tickets? And furthermore, what determines need? Do I attach a copy of my tax return with my application, or maybe a bank statement?.......If I'm not considered to be a low income applicant, I'll sign up for the lottery with no worries.

you fill out a form.. yes.. there is no verifying financial information.. theres no request for your salary or tax information.. no bank statements either.(or there used to not be..)

you decide if you are a low income applicant.. and fill out the form and someone decides if you get a ticket

as far as i am aware theres always more applicants than low income tickets.. (for a few or many years)

as far as i recall the questions on the questionnaire werent that different from the standard burning man volunteer questionnaire but with a few more fields.. http://www2.burningman.com/people/

extra fields for stuff like 'what burning man means to you ' .. 'why do you feel you need consideration for a low income ticket?' .......

there isnt much too it

things could be different this year though, stay tuned..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:48 pm

jesus fuck. put me on that gravy train, please and thanks?

...goddamn 99%ers.. aren't we all "low income" at this point compared to the man in the hat that's ass raping you for 25% more than he ass raped you last year?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lemur » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:52 pm

i think everyone got on that train last year when they didnt get their low tier tickets on ticket day..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby incubus_pantomime » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:06 pm

trilobyte wrote:Basically, they want you to think long and hard about whether you can afford to get a ticket in the main sale at $240.

I can afford either ticket price, to be quite honest. Like I've said before, I make it work. The difference in price between a low income ticket and a regular, lowest tier ticket isn't enough to make me question my decision (and financial ability) to attend BM. I'm just looking at this through the eyes of an ever-broke grad student. If I can show (honestly, and without a sob story) that I don't really make that much money and get a cheaper ticket, that would be great. If I'm not able to get one at a discounted price, and I have to buy a lower-tier ticket during the main sale, I'm not going to be upset.

junglesmacks wrote:jesus fuck. put me on that gravy train, please and thanks?

...goddamn 99%ers.. aren't we all "low income" at this point compared to the man in the hat that's ass raping you for 25% more than he ass raped you last year?

I hope I didn't come off sounding like I'm whining about the ticket prices. I'm not trying to garner sympathy or tell some sob story about my lack of income. I knew in high school that the career path I chose was going to mean a lot of education, which equals a lot of debt...but I chose it anyway, because I want to help people, and this is what I have to do so I can legally do that. I'm most likely going to work on-campus as a teacher's assistant, which has a stipend that can only cover so much. If I can save a little money on my ticket so that I can put a little into my "black hole of student loan debt" savings account, then that would be uber-sweet. If not, I'm not going to die. Yet again, I make it work. :D
incubus_pantomime

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:21 pm

incubus_pantomime wrote:
trilobyte wrote:Basically, they want you to think long and hard about whether you can afford to get a ticket in the main sale at $240.

I can afford either ticket price, to be quite honest. Like I've said before, I make it work. The difference in price between a low income ticket and a regular, lowest tier ticket isn't enough to make me question my decision (and financial ability) to attend BM. I'm just looking at this through the eyes of an ever-broke grad student. If I can show (honestly, and without a sob story) that I don't really make that much money and get a cheaper ticket, that would be great. If I'm not able to get one at a discounted price, and I have to buy a lower-tier ticket during the main sale, I'm not going to be upset.

junglesmacks wrote:jesus fuck. put me on that gravy train, please and thanks?

I hope I didn't come off sounding like I'm whining about the ticket prices. I'm not trying to garner sympathy or tell some sob story about my lack of income. I knew in high school that the career path I chose was going to mean a lot of education, which equals a lot of debt...but I chose it anyway, because I want to help people, and this is what I have to do so I can legally do that. I'm most likely going to work on-campus as a teacher's assistant, which has a stipend that can only cover so much. If I can save a little money on my ticket so that I can put a little into my "black hole of student loan debt" savings account, then that would be uber-sweet. If not, I'm not going to die. Yet again, I make it work. :D

*opens door*

hi there incubus_pantomime, have you met dr. Ian Wilmut?.........please come in.
oops, did that cotton swab scrape you?..........
sorry.

well, darn, where is that rascally doctor?

ah well, sorry incubus_pantomime, I suppose you can go back to what you were doing......

*runs to Dr. Wilmut with cell materials, hoping, he can make more Burners....or, at least, a vaccine against "asshattery/douchebaggery/self entitlement whiney" syndrome*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Did somebody call for a doctor?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:30 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Did somebody call for a doctor?

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Steel Kitty » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Better count in travel costs from Texas, renting (with your friends.. an RV), costumes, and alcohol.

So, that's $400 in travel costs, $250 for your part in an RV, Stuff you buy at Target/Walmart in Reno $150, camp dues, stuff breaking down that you can't control.. etc.

IF this was Coachella, for example, I wouldn't complain about the lottery. I just wouldn't go and find an alternative.
Life isn't about arriving at the grave well preserved, but rather, sliding in sideways yelling "Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Steel Kitty

Postby incubus_pantomime » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 pm

Steel Kitty wrote:Better count in travel costs from Texas, renting (with your friends.. an RV), costumes, and alcohol.

So, that's $400 in travel costs, $250 for your part in an RV, Stuff you buy at Target/Walmart in Reno $150, camp dues, stuff breaking down that you can't control.. etc.

IF this was Coachella, for example, I wouldn't complain about the lottery. I just wouldn't go and find an alternative.

We're flying, and we already have the money set aside for plane tickets and a rental car. The only money we haven't got set aside is for supplies to be bought onsite in Reno, and in the grand scheme of things, we're not going to sweat it, even if it ends up being more than what we planned for. Again, we're not going to let a couple hundred dollars become a BM deal-breaker.

As for accomodations, we're camping. Already have all of the equipment from past trips, and we'll be doing multiple test packs of our suitcases and ice chests beforehand to minimize baggage. We've test-run our tent and will be doing a monkey hut in our backyard before the playa to get it down to a science.
incubus_pantomime

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion