Burning Man TM

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Burning Man TM

Postby TheMuse » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:54 am

I understand that BMorg doesn't want the Burning Man name associated with commeridal endeavors... this I understand and comply with this completely. But earlier this year I had a listing on SF Craigslist for our camp asking for free used carpet and the listing was removed because it had the name Burning Man in it. I think the listing was "Old Carpet Needed for a Burning Man Theme Camp". We weren't promoting the buying or selling of anything. So why do you think they pulled it?
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
TheMuse

Postby waltsnipe » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:16 am

That sounds excessive on the Org's part, if they in fact complained to Craigslist. Of course, it may be that Craigslist made their own judgment call, thinking they knew what the Org would want, when in fact the Org would not have been offended by your post.

Like the grassy knoll, we may never know.....
waltsnipe

Postby Badger » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:42 pm

But earlier this year I had a listing on SF Craigslist for our camp asking for free used carpet and the listing was removed because it had the name Burning Man in it.

Sounds quite excessive to me as well and something COMPLETELY out of character for the project. Were you notified by CL that your post was pulled specifically for the reason you gave or are you speculating? If the latter then I'd suggest you're not playing fair and that posts like this are the grist for uglier rumors that end up getting circulated.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby TheMuse » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:35 pm

I didn't receive any sort of notification, it was just removed. It was the kind sould who answered our ad (someone who helps out burners regularly) who informed me that any listings with the words "Burning Man" in them are systematically removed once discovered. He suggested I use the words "Theme Camp for a Desert Art Festival" or similar wording next time, which I will do if we need something next year. I just find the "policy" (if it is one... has anyone had similar experiences?) a little over-the-top. For commerce or bartering it I can understand... but old carpet?
Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun every year.
TheMuse

Postby bdongray » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:36 pm

TheMuse wrote:It was the kind sould who answered our ad (someone who helps out burners regularly) who informed me that any listings with the words "Burning Man" in them are systematically removed once discovered. He suggested I use the words "Theme Camp for a Desert Art Festival" or similar wording next time, which I will do if we need something next year.

It is possible that many readers to your ad do not know what Burningman is, they might also be puzzled by the phrase "Theme Camp for a Desert Art Festival". You may get just as good a response by putting "Old carpet needed for art project". I sympathize it does not raise a flag with burners to come to your aid, but at least your ad does not pulled, and you may get carpet from people who've heard about BurningMan, yet have negative thoughts based on their idea of stereotypes they think who go there, and their preconceived idea of what goes on. I know I have quite a few neighbors who have this mindset.
--
Bryan
bdongray

~

Postby sparkletarte » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:27 pm

Here's a sort of related question:

My small town has a weekly free newspaper. When people go on trips, sometimes they'll take a couple of the paper, then take a picture of themselves reading the paper in some far away location. The paper then prints that picture, sort of a 'look where we're being read!' thing. All they do with the picture is print it in their own paper, they don't use it in any advertising. I've had several friends do it- one guy took a copy up Everest! It's fun, you get to see where people have been, and I'm sure the editor loves it.

We were thinking about doing the same thing- look, the Express is in Black Rock City at Burning Man! Is that okay do you think?
sparkletarte

Postby atossab » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:14 pm

Sparkletarte, I don't think that's okay, but I may be completely wrong.

I don't understand the Craigslist thing at all: there are Burning man tickets for sale in every city on CL. You can do a search for Burning Man and all kinds of stuff pops up. I've had ads on there about BM and bought, sold or exchanged stuff for BM on Craigslist. Just on the SF site right now, a search for BM yielded 185 results. This doesn't make any sense. Muse, was there anything else in your ad which may have affected the removal?
atossab

Postby atossab » Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:16 pm

I also just found this ad on SF Craigslist:

"are you tired of all the fucking burning man posts? I'm going to flag it right now! "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: see below
Date: 2004-08-25, 4:04PM PDT

me too. click this link and flag them all.
http://www.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/searc ... an&cat=com

this is in or around flag them all
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
atossab

Return to Politics & Philosophy