Make your art Skate-able

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: Make your art Skate-able

Postby davink » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:14 pm

I need to get in with this skate camp.. I work for a company that publishes artists on limited edition skateboards.. I think there could be a lot of opp's for more artists!
davink

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:32 pm

jkisha wrote:Maybe it is generational then. For whatever reason, I have never put skateboarding into the same category as surfing, skiing or snowboarding (actually, I've just recently added snowboarding to my short list). Never really took it as "serious" "sport" I guess. Sort of like roller skating.

But I have watched Tony Hawk and some of the televised competitions, and as talented as they are, it always will strike me as something pre-teen kids should be doing on the sidewalk.

WIKI-
Skateboarding was probably born sometime in the late 1940s or early 1950s when surfers in California wanted something to surf when the waves were flat. No one knows who made the first board; it seems that several people came up with similar ideas at around the same time. These first skateboarders started with wooden boxes or boards with roller skate wheels attached to the bottom. The boxes turned into planks, and eventually companies were producing decks of pressed layers of wood – similar to the skateboard decks of today. During this time, skateboarding was seen as something to do for fun besides surfing, and was therefore often referred to as "Sidewalk Surfing".

A skateboarder in Tallahassee, Florida
The first manufactured skateboards were ordered by a Los Angeles, California surf shop, meant to be used by surfers in their downtime. The shop owner, Bill Richard, made a deal with the Chicago Roller Skate Company to produce sets of skate wheels, which they attached to square wooden boards. Accordingly, skateboarding was originally denoted "sidewalk surfing" and early skaters emulated surfing style and maneuvers. Crate scooters preceded skateboards, and were borne of a similar concept, with the exception of having a wooden crate attached to the nose (front of the board), which formed rudimentary handlebars.[4]
A number of surfing manufacturers such as Makaha started building skateboards that resembled small surfboards, and assembling teams to promote their products. The popularity of skateboarding at this time spawned a national magazine, Skateboarder Magazine, and the 1965 international championships were broadcast on national television. The growth of the sport during this period can also be seen in sales figures for Makaha, which quoted $10 million worth of board sales between 1963 and 1965 (Weyland, 2002:28). Yet by 1966 the sales had dropped significantly (ibid) and Skateboarder Magazine had stopped publication. The popularity of skateboarding dropped and remained low until the early 1970s.[4][5]
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby marcusr5 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Playa Wood
marcusr5

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: SK8 KAMP

Postby chiefdanfox » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:59 pm

I like it, but you need to add some plywood to the inside of the rail, so when you come out of the 1/4 pipe, you don't catch one of the uprights and end up with a critical spinal injury. I would be interested in seeing the construction plans that break this down into something that fits on a standard long-haul truck.
chiefdanfox

Previous

Return to 2012 Art & Performance