What percentage of burners read JRS? Lottery could be good.

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

What percentage of burners read JRS? Lottery could be good.

Postby gibson_ » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:42 pm

I mean...this lottery system thing is pretty obviously a horrible idea.

...but maybe that is the point. Suddenly all of the people who care enough about the event to be thinking about it in November of this year are already planning to have their tickets in Janvier. What percentage of total burners do you think even know about this right now?

The people who show up for the last weekend and leave trash everywhere are going to be in for a sad realization in July when they find out that tickets sold out in February.

I'm starting to think that anybody who has their shit even remotely together won't be effected by the lottery *at all*.
Last edited by gibson_ on Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gibson_

Re: What percentage of burners actually read JRS?

Postby H.G.Crosby » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:46 pm

also on the upside, we've seen a huge increase in Strippers on eplaya.

win-win.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Re: What percentage of burners read JRS? Lottery could be g

Postby Rice » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:49 pm

Radical self-reliance.

Not a bad thing.

I have nothing against strippers!!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby unjonharley » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:07 pm

stretch80 wrote:

I have nothing against strippers!!!

I would If given a chance
unjonharley

Postby BBadger » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm more lamenting the fact that the whiny schmucks who don't get up early to get in on the early tiers, but still whine about it, will have a whole fucking week to register for this lottery rather than giving people like myself the advantage.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:47 pm

BBadger wrote:I'm more lamenting the fact that the whiny schmucks who don't get up early to get in on the early tiers, but still whine about it, will have a whole fucking week to register for this lottery rather than giving people like myself the advantage.

That's two fucking weeks.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:10 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
BBadger wrote:I'm more lamenting the fact that the whiny schmucks who don't get up early to get in on the early tiers, but still whine about it, will have a whole fucking week to register for this lottery rather than giving people like myself the advantage.

That's two fucking weeks.

DAMMIT I forgot that it was!

I just hope that, JRS or not, that the same group of morons who didn't get their tickets until 3 weeks before the gate opened (if they got them at all) didn't learn their lesson. We must all do our part to help not get the word out about this lottery outside our close circles.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby The CO » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:22 pm

I will worry when it is sold out AND I don't have a ticket.

Then I will get the fuck over it and realize how much money I'm saving.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:16 pm

No you won't.

You will be hiding out in the almost full tank of blue water under the toilet seat,
with a snokel in your mouth and 4 out of ten fingers crossed when I go rolling through the gate with my RV.

Don't worry man, I got yer back!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby BBadger » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:21 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:No you won't.

You will be hiding out in the almost full tank of blue water under the toilet seat,

Whoa, at first you were describing his act of suicide...

BBadger

Postby Rat Bastard » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:33 pm

I'd say the percentage of people who don't read JRS or are not subscribed is directly related to the slackers who didn't know tickets were announced to be close to selling out. I think that announcement went out three times. Around the same time JRS had a little article talking about "Not everyone 'needs' to go to BM". Saying that we should stop and think about it before we tell all of our default world friends that they 'need' to go to BM. An effort to limit the city to real burners and not mass flushings of noobs every year.

Now they want to basically make it easier for those slackers to have a chance at getting affordable tickets. Make it fair for 'everyone' to come. I don't mark my calendar and get up and sit at a computer waiting for 10am to roll around that third week of January because I'm a slacker that doesn't know how to follow directions on a website with a waiting cue. I make that commitment so I can get a ticket that I can afford at a good price (tier 1) without having to spend most of my burn working for some department to save an additional $50. Then I take that money I saved off that first tier price and invest it in things that make the event better for me and others. Like this year. I was able to purchase firemen boots and gloves to go with my existing bunker gear so I could take care of hell perimeter during the CORE burn for our project. That is obviously so unimportant to BM as well as the advanced planning and budgeting that I have to do to go that they think it's a good idea for me to just leave it all to chance.

If they're so into using chance to solve the problem of not wanting to invest the money needed to have a functioning ticket system then maybe they should use chance to fix all the problems. Hold a lottery to see if a LEO is allowed to be in BRC. Flip a coin for who gets ice or coffee. Or, have a lottery system to see who gets to sit in the front rows for the burn. Cause those folks that trucked out to perimeter at 5pm surely don't deserve to sit there. That guy who showed up 5 minutes before conclave deserves to sit in the front row ahead of everyone else.

This will be a good test to see if BM gives a shit about burners and if they know how to listen. Cause I have not heard one person who supports this. And as far as who knows? ALL of Chicago and Detroit know. Cause they give a shit.
Read my posts with a grain of salt.
Rat Bastard

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion