Flip the tiers

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Flip the tiers

Postby sole70 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:53 pm

It seems that bmorg is trying to solve a problem with a bigger problem. Lotteries are for gamblers. The only real problem I can see with the current ticket sales, is the crashing of bmorg's WEAK ticket site. The fact that tickets sell out, sadly, is not going away. I happen to know people who consistently buy tickets on the lowest tier, and don't need to. Everyone claims poverty at all income levels. No one seems to have ENOUGH money.

I say we FLIP THE TIERS. Sell the highest price tickets first. Those who want to wait and "gamble" for a lower ticket can do so by their own choice. Bmorg's "Lottery" system forces the gambling on everyone at all levels. Entering the highest tier in the "lottery" might help, unless everyone has the same idea.

Fuck it, let's go to Vegas, where everyone its a spectator.
sole70

Re: Flip the tiers

Postby Bounce530 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:22 pm

I brought this idea up awhile ago and was told that it would reward the slackers, by letting the people who don't prepare early get the cheaper tickets while the people who do prepare end up buying the higher priced tickets.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby remi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:28 pm

No matter what solution you find, someone will find something bad to say.. In this case, rewards the slackers. I thought they should make a lottery for the first two tiers and sell the other ones first come first serve.. but someone mentioned that would be like saying "Here are tickets for you rich folk.. everyone else, good luck gambling," Which I didn't agree with becaues that would presuade people that can afford more expensive tickets to actually purchase the more expensive tickets.

No matter what idea one of us comes up with, someone will be there with a reason why not. Usually it's to 'not hurt peoples feeling' like rewarding possible slackers.. or make it seem anti-poor people.

I agree with your idea, and my previous idea. I think they are both great alternatives to the 'lotto' because people that are dedicated to purchasing there ticket in the first few weeks, and can afford a full price ticket.. they will 100% get one. And I guess that's just not fair for poor people?

EDIT: Bounce530.. that is one sick tattoo man!
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby sole70 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:32 pm

In my experiences however a lot of true slackers, don't even buy tickets they sneak in. They are laughing at all of us.
sole70

Postby Bounce530 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:38 pm

I agree also, because by preparing early I guaranteed myself a ticket, now I will prepare and enter every lottery until I win the right to buy a ticket, with zero guarantee that I will actually win the right to buy one.
RSL, those who prepare, etc..? Nah- it’s just a roll of the dice now….

*and thanks for the tat compliment :D
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby portaplaya » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:39 pm

sole70 wrote:Fuck it, let's go to Vegas, where everyone its a spectator.

I think the odds of winning the BM lottery are much better than the odds in Vegas.
portaplaya

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Burning Man has the loosest slots in all of Nevada.

Sorry... too far.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:54 pm

What Bounce530 said. The system used in 2011 was sort of like gambling (25K people vying for limited number of lower tier tickets in the first 48 hours, less than a third were able to purchase the lowest pricing tier). I think reversing the tiers would create a situation where quantities of people delay their purchases using the logic that tickets get cheaper as you go. Not only does it reward the procrastinators, it sets things up for potential server-crushing points throughout the length of the ticket sales process (hoping to catch a new tier being made available, etc), and puts the heaviest server/ticket processing load on at the end of the process, when there are fewer human resources available to take care of them.

We should have details and a FAQ soon, have patience.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Galaxo Magic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:21 am

Simple, have the first day of ticket sales be Tier 3 tickets.
A week later you can sell Tier 1 and 2.

The servers won't be as jammed on day one! But a lot of the demand for Tier 1 and 2 will be done before Tier 1 and 2 go on sale a week later. Load balancing made easy.

Another idea, though I know BM presently uses In-Ticketing (which has sucked for years).....
Adding a $5 ticket fee to all internet tickets would produce an extra $200k that could be used to upgrade the servers to handle the ticketing load.
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium
Galaxo Magic

Postby unjonharley » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:26 am

Flip the tiers

NO
unjonharley

Postby illy dilly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:28 am

Nipple wrote:Burning Man has the loosest slots in all of Nevada.

Sorry... too far.

LOL!

or as I've recently learned XD?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion