Lottery and shifting inclusion and exclusion

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Lottery and shifting inclusion and exclusion

Postby Zhust » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:21 am

I didn't have to make much of a leap to successfully navigate the Burning Man ticketing system the first time I went. I naturally plan ahead for things, and that works well because I'm coming from 2,500 miles away. I'd buy my ticket early, make my plans, travel across the country, and go to Burning Man. When tickets sold out in 2011, I was curious about how that affected the event — it seemed that people who were extremely impulsive would be excluded (that is, those who bought their tickets last-minute). And those who are impulsive are far more likely to live close to Burning Man: e.g. if someone where I live wanted to just pop out to Burning Man, they would probably not be able to find anyone who could provide a ride, much less someone who had enough extra supplies to support their stay.

The lottery system changes this somewhat. As someone who tends to camp alone (or at least not a logistically critical person in a camp), it doesn't affect me too much. I'll log in early like I always do, get in on the lottery, and will probably get a ticket. It would be important to me to know early whether I secured a ticket — that's unclear in the JRS outline, only that tickets will be fulfilled in June or July which would be too late for me to know for sure. I also like to have my ticket in hand early as talismanic proof of the future, but if I can't hold the ticket until July, I'll just do it Will Call instead.

Those who are logistically critical to their camp have a tougher situation, although with transferrable tickets as they are, and assuming ticket confirmation happens early (i.e. January or February), a non-critical person may need to sacrifice a ticket (or further gamble that they can buy one later aftermarket) to ensure a big camp can happen.

For those who are impulsive, it has almost no effect on their strategy. If a ticket pops up and they're able to go on August 15, then they go. I suspect this will reverse whatever trend happened in 2011 that prevented those people from attending.

So I guess the thing that makes me upset is being forced to be more impulsive. The way I have been going to Burning Man is being disrupted (unless, of course, I get a ticket and know I have a ticket early.) I'm also upset that me and my fellow planners can be excluded from the event. I like to think it's the people who bring the big projects and who plan ahead are most important, so to be seen as "not so necessary" is a tough pill to swallow.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Re: Lottery and shifting inclusion and exclusion

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:59 am

I suspect that in a "climate of scarcity" (or "once tickets have sold the fuck out"), last minute tickets will be harder to come by. We don't have multiple sellout years to compare, not yet anyways.

We also don't yet have details on how exactly the ticket lottery will work. I'm hopeful that with multiple rounds beginning early in the year, it will favor those who plan and prepare. We'll see.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Rice » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:25 am

trilobyte wrote:I suspect that in a "climate of scarcity" (or "once tickets have sold the fuck out"), last minute tickets will be harder to come by. We don't have multiple sellout years to compare, not yet anyways.

We also don't yet have details on how exactly the ticket lottery will work. I'm hopeful that with multiple rounds beginning early in the year, it will favor those who plan and prepare. We'll see.

There also has been no indication that BRC will have a ticket cap for 2012. Of course, the BLM lease has not been signed. So this is just speculation anyhow...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby HandJamMasterC » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:52 am

As one who plans and runs a theme camp, with events posted on line and in the print book, I sure hope it still favors the early planner.

Having to plan and post theme camp events long before you even know if your camp has been placed seems a bit like the cart before the horse ( although I understand that having lots of interactive events planned helps get you placed ). Imagine planning lots of events, posting them online early ( for print book inclusion ) and not getting enough tickets to run your camp ( or no ticket at all ).

I suppose if some year all the stars mis-align and after planning my camp infrastructure and events I don't get placed and I don't get tickets, I'll take it as a sign and move on to something new..............
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion