what's your handle, baby?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

how closely does your playa name/personality match your everyday life?

Poll ended at Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:17 pm

not at all
3%
fits me like a glove
97%

Total votes : 34

what's your handle, baby?

Postby nymphgonebad » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:17 pm

ok, bring it on - let's hear about your playa names.
nymphgonebad

Postby Zane5100 » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:20 pm

...again?

I just knew I should revived my old threads here...
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

oh what the hell...

Postby jaywalker » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:29 pm

might as well just give the activity.

http://cultureshark.net/wiki/index.php? ... JayWalking

Mutaytor/Pinky's/Xara christmas time party, open bar, shut down, lots of folks back at my place, lots more booze. Waking up with an ex girlfriend in bed, my room destroyed and a nice forehead gash, and asking what happened?

Yep my name suits me
your judgement is a little off at this time- Peking Noodle Co. fortune cookie
jaywalker

Postby III » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:32 pm

>lots of folks back at my place

it was a good night. i actually got to witness the head injury, as well as the living room destruction. plus it was the first time that precipitate kissed me.

as for my name, i've recently managed to reaffirm that i can indeed be tres gauche.
III

Postby RebA! » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:38 pm

Isnt there a thread called rose by playa name or something like that on one of the variety of boards we have here? Or was i just imagining that
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby Ivy » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:14 pm

I'm supposed to have a playa name?
Ivy

Postby telizas » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:29 pm

I have a couple of names, telizas is a conglomeration of my whole name. onewomanshow is my pen name. Heathenmama though, I have decided is my playa name and fits me better than any other. When it's important for my name to be a true reflection of me, I use Heathenmama. :D
Well behaved women rarely make history.
telizas

Postby Borris » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:34 pm

as stated earlier elsewhere here.

I don't belive in playa names, I am the same person on and off the playa... so why would i need a different name?
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...
Borris

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby Reddclover » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:37 pm

I was given the name Reddclover years ago. A named dubbed for my Red hair, and also just like the herb, I enchance everything I touch, so they have told me.
email me at Wldstatys@aol.com
Reddclover

Postby girlie » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:30 pm

5 years ago some burner friends tried to name me "girl drink drunk", which ended up transforming into "girlie girl".

from a distance i do often appear to be a stereotypical "girlie girl". i only drink girlie drinks (too much random booze from mason jars as a teen). i find skirts and dresses much more comfortable then pants. i sit with my back straight and fold my hands on my lap. i only own two t-shirts and one pair of jeans. i say please and thank you. i reapply my lipstick before leaving the house.

what i most enjoy about my name is what happens when people look closer at me and the "girly" stereotype. the flipside of it all is: i don't shave my legs. i always have dirt under my nails. i can yield a chain saw or sledge hammer confidently. almost all my clothes are held together by safety pins in one place or another. i have a well stocked tool box and workshop of power tools -- and know how to use them. i thoroughly enjoy getting dirty with sweaty labour. etc. etc.

it's a good fuck-with-people's-perceptions kind of name, and i've always liked it very much.
girlie

Postby precipitate » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:33 pm

One of my favorite before-I-knew-you moments was at JetFuel's watching you weld BBQzilla bits together so we could roast meat.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby Flux » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:50 pm

I have no idea what you look like, but...

I'm picturing you, hairy legs and dirty fingernails, in a lovely dress held together by safety pins, holding a chainsaw in one hand while you reapply your lipstick with the other...

Be still my heart (and, er, other parts)!
Flux

Postby Juju » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:41 pm

I've been Juju since I was a baby. My Tia nicknamed me Jujubee since I was her little jew-beaner (hebrew mexicans represent). My family has called me jujubee or juju or juja for as long as I can remember, but I never told any of my friends until I was an adult and started doing subversive behavior that required or encouraged alter egos.

Now I'm Juju just about everywhere except at work :)
"doin' it for the midgets"
Juju

Postby nymphgonebad » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:58 pm

Juju wrote: I never told any of my friends until I was an adult and started doing subversive behavior that required or encouraged alter egos.

see borris - it's not about being a different person, it's all about being subversive, having an alter ego or being gifted with a nickname.

my email handle is bgrrl. i am also known as nymph gone bad, the name of my jewelry/accessories/clothing business. but princess strych-9 was a gift. one of the several meth phreaks i met when i first moved to sf gave it to me. he originally called me pinky ( wishful thinking on his part ) and when i didn't sleep with him, he gave me my secret indian name princess strych-9.

suits me just fine.
nymphgonebad

name

Postby unjonharley » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:41 pm

My handel is used more than my given name. Even the family call me jonharley. The "un" comes from my doughter and I"s fun with Alie in Wounderland. It has spilled over into her adult life. Most presents have a UN flavor. She's 40 now and I have never grown up. Even at 66.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby Stormy » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:21 pm

I guess, I don't have a playa name either. Was funny sitting in Astral Headwash waiting room and the receptionist asked everyone for their play name. If they didn't have one the room was asked to help come up with one for the person. An interesting social game.

Stormy is not my given name. It has been my handle for goth and other email lists and boards. Liked it so much that I use it in most social situtions outside of work. My husband and mother-in-law call me by my handle 99% of the time. When I hear my birth name being used by the spouse, I know he's about to get really serious or I'm seriously in trouble. :wink:

And yes, some people would definitely agree that I am stormy.
Be the change you seek in the world.
Stormy

Postby Kinetic » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:28 pm

On one post or two you were Stormy to me, but the more I read your posts the more I like you and what you have to say. So the playa name doesn't always fit you...you've got some enlightening posts out there.
Kinetic

Postby Stormy » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:31 pm

Kinetic wrote:On one post or two you were Stormy to me, but the more I read your posts the more I like you and what you have to say. So the playa name doesn't always fit you...you've got some enlightening posts out there.

Bah, don't believe everything you read. Tee hee, he said I'm enlightened. :) Thanks Kinetic, you're definitely OK. Can't wait to see what sort of shit you stir up next year.
Stormy

Postby Kinetic » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:36 pm

Stormy wrote:Bah, don't believe everything you read. Tee hee, he said I'm enlightened. :) Thanks Kinetic, you're definitely OK. Can't wait to see what sort of shit you stir up next year.

The plans are already being developed...after Tiara and Badger inspired me so much this year becoming a BRC Ranger is one idea. There's some other things I want to do next year...it will definitely be a much more engaged approach from this year which was so wrapped around honoring my best friend's final wishes.

I also have to work the greeters gate...that was the fastest and most fun 4 hours I've ever spent in BRC. I loved doing that.
Kinetic

Postby Stormy » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:40 pm

Kinetic wrote:
Stormy wrote:Bah, don't believe everything you read. Tee hee, he said I'm enlightened. :) Thanks Kinetic, you're definitely OK. Can't wait to see what sort of shit you stir up next year.

The plans are already being developed...after Tiara and Badger inspired me so much this year becoming a BRC Ranger is one idea. There's some other things I want to do next year...it will definitely be a much more engaged approach from this year which was so wrapped around honoring my best friend's final wishes.

I also have to work the greeters gate...that was the fastest and most fun 4 hours I've ever spent in BRC. I loved doing that.

All sounds very cool. Just hope you don't overdo like I did this year. Next year I'm working gate and camping with a very laid back camp. Don't worry we won't be taking up any good Esplanade real estate. Though if you hear an air raid siren, stop by with your coffee cup. :)
Stormy

Postby Kinetic » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:52 pm

Ok, there are two things I'm interested in...one is a full blown train horn like the one I heard on the playa out beyond the AEZ area this year. That thing was loud. The second thing is I'd like to find a smallish air raid siren....not one of those monsters various cities use. How big is the one your camp has and do you know where it came from? (or if they have more?)

And you might know that I'm one of the few who doesn't drink coffee for some reason. Don't smoke cigs, don't drink coffee. I make up for that with a lead foot and some aggressive driving. It's still be a great opening to go check out a camp and meet people anyway.
Kinetic

Postby nymphgonebad » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:00 pm

Kinetic wrote:Ok, there are two things I'm interested in...one is a full blown train horn like the one I heard on the playa out beyond the AEZ area this year. That thing was loud. The second thing is I'd like to find a smallish air raid siren....not one of those monsters various cities use. How big is the one your camp has and do you know where it came from? (or if they have more?)

And you might know that I'm one of the few who doesn't drink coffee for some reason. Don't smoke cigs, don't drink coffee. I make up for that with a lead foot and some aggressive driving. It's still be a great opening to go check out a camp and meet people anyway.

come by camp bodygeek in 04 - we'll be making soy based spirulina breakfast smoothies. in addition, we will also be hosting the bodygeek mobile lending and reference library, the bodygeek body mechanics (massagistas ) and bodygeek playa manicures.

are you sure that air raid siren is a good idea?
nymphgonebad

Postby Kinetic » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:28 pm

The Air Raid siren is just a thought....I'm going to have my hands full with Dragontear's projects on top of my own. At least when it snows this year I'll have plenty to keep me busy so I won't need to go out in it.

Now I have to get my new girlfriend hooked on BM and going and if she gets involved...I'll have it made. That's a project I'm already working on.
Kinetic

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:09 am

DragonBrain (yeah, the snarky gorilla fetus pissing match dude) comes from that part of myself which knows no restraint, satiation, shame or remorse. It like to kill. It will consume until it runs out and will stop at nothing. I can be a bit likening Man, though in a highly modified form I actuall y teach at home for abused children, so I don't let myself go too crazy, because I know what real crazy is and does. [That which does not kill you makes you sicker than shit][/quote]

Postby Badger » Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:33 am

Badger.

Badger is my spirit animal. I do subscribe to such things.

Badger taught me many things a long time ago back when I was 10.

He taught me these things very quickly.

My friend Ricky and I were strolling through a canyon and saw a flash of something as it headed down a hole. Ricky suggested that we ( aka me) check it out. I made the foolsih mistake of probing the hole with a 4-5 foot long stick. Next thing I know it was shaking in my hand and semed like it was disapppearing down the hole like a pencil in one of those electric sharpeners.

Badger then came out of the hole and kicked my dumb ten-year-old ass. Tore into to me fiercely and then just ambled back into his den like nothing had happened.

Badger taught to not fear people bigger than myself (physically or metaphorically)

Badger taught me to think quick and fight hard rather than let things simmer and fester. This is especially important as it relates to my friends and loved ones.

Badger taught me about tenacity and fearlessness.

Badger taught me to deal with the unexpected and then get back to doing your life. Lately I need to re-rememeber this one.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Capthayes » Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:13 am

My real name is Hayes, when I got to the Playa in '01 my camp unanimously agreed that with a name like that a playa name was unnecessary.

I added the Capt. when I brought my art-car, the cruise ship "Silver Lining" in '02-seemed appropriate. And besides, I'm a top in the bedroom, or the kitchen, bath, etc...and a total type A

That is all...

Capt. Hayes
Capthayes

Postby Lydia Love » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:43 am

Badger then came out of the hole and kicked my dumb ten-year-old ass. Tore into to me fiercely and then just ambled back into his den like nothing had happened.

Wow.

I'm just glad Badger settled on giving you less than a "final lesson".
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby stu » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:54 am

I'm just Stu. On and off the playa. I have never been given a playa name, so I guess I'll just keep going back until I am.

And a clarifying note: Stu and Stuart Scanlon are different people. At least I think we are, as I have never seen the two of us in the same room either.

I added that because I saw a response to one of Stuart's posts that referred to him as Stu, so there might have been some confusion.
<i>What's</i> my fucking gift?
stu

Postby Chimp » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:03 am

My West coast pals started to call me chimp this year on account of my monkeying around and inability to remain still for any period of time - I must have returned to my camp about four times to eat and stock up on water the whole time - I kinda dig it, I don't think I would ever choose my own playa name though.
Chimp

Postby nymphgonebad » Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:58 am

JP / Chimp wrote:My West coast pals started to call me chimp this year on account of my monkeying around and inability to remain still for any period of time - I must have returned to my camp about four times to eat and stock up on water the whole time - I kinda dig it, I don't think I would ever choose my own playa name though.

so is there something particularly chimp-like about you? why didn't they just call you a.d.d. boy?
nymphgonebad

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man