Maybe this is just an Apex

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Maybe this is just an Apex

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:15 am

In a lot of ways I think Burning Man has gone mainstream. I've seen evidence of Burning Man fashion out in the default world, and yes even outside San Francisco. I no longer get an immediate blank stare when I say the word Playa, and more and more I think it's appearing on bucket lists for folks from all over. So yes. We are a lot more popular than we use to be.

But if I've learned anything on the Playa it's that those who return on an annual basis for more than say 3 or 4 years are fewer in number than say the fair-weather Burner, who maybe comes a few times but then decides to get on with life in the Default World. Some people are Burners on the Playa, some are Burners for Life. There's nothing wrong with that.

I guess my point is, that maybe we've reached some sort of Apex, a critical mass if you will in our little experiment in the desert. And perhaps it will be that in years to come we will start to see a fall in attendance, as the fad of "doing Burning Man," begins to wain. Then we won't have to deal with scalpers, fake tickets, ridiculous ebay offers, et cetera, et cetera et cetera.

Please understand. I fully support radical inclusion. But I also recognize this as a tipping point of what Burning Man will be for the generation. I hope WE don't fuck it up.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Re: Maybe this is just an Apex

Postby ygmir » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:41 am

hhhmmm........good thoughts. It will be interesting, with these changes, the "non-profit" changover, and all that..........will it change? Or, will participants/ attendees be the real change, as far as demographics.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jkisha » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:34 am

Nothing is permanent but for change.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby DrYes » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:36 am

Clar-i-ty wrote:I guess my point is, that maybe we've reached some sort of Apex, a critical mass if you will in our little experiment in the desert. And perhaps it will be that in years to come we will start to see a fall in attendance, as the fad of "doing Burning Man," begins to wain. Then we won't have to deal with scalpers, fake tickets, ridiculous ebay offers, et cetera, et cetera et cetera.

With all due respect, anyone who is serious about going to Burning Man didn't have to deal with scalpers, fake tickets, ridiculous ebay offers, etc etc because they got off their ass and bought a ticket months before that scarcity was an issue.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:52 am

this years Ticket Drama is not as good as last years Ticket Drama...
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:40 pm

But it's a pretty good preview!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:39 pm

DrYes wrote:
Clar-i-ty wrote:I guess my point is, that maybe we've reached some sort of Apex, a critical mass if you will in our little experiment in the desert. And perhaps it will be that in years to come we will start to see a fall in attendance, as the fad of "doing Burning Man," begins to wain. Then we won't have to deal with scalpers, fake tickets, ridiculous ebay offers, et cetera, et cetera et cetera.

With all due respect, anyone who is serious about going to Burning Man didn't have to deal with scalpers, fake tickets, ridiculous ebay offers, etc etc because they got off their ass and bought a ticket months before that scarcity was an issue.

When I say "deal with" I mean deal with the consequences of. Apologies. I'm normally much more precise in my words, thus the Playa name. I have to admit, this revelation has me a little shaken. I don't like the idea that there is a chance that anyone who wants to, may not be able to attend.

I know it's a cardinal sin to show my soft under belly on this board, so for those who rely on my surly, biting remarks STOP READING NOW!!!

As one who is struggling in this economy, I have to admit, I'm starting to resent the "serious Burners" and "those who have their shit together" remarks. I do have my shit together and I am a serious Burner. I work my ass off to be able to go every year. Just because I don't have a windfall of cash available on the day tickets go on sale doesn't mean I'm not serious. It means like many others, I'm making it work the best I can. This is just another obstacle that I will have to overcome, and honestly it has me worried.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Last year's apex was better.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby melotronix » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:48 pm

No matter what, this will be interesting to see how it plays out.
It is a grand human experiment, and they have the numbers to try what they want.
I guess this will also help to increase readership of the JackRabbit newsletter eh?

Watching and Waiting, not sure yet what to think
Feel the rhythm of the Earth, Dance the Song of Life.

www.Melotronix.com
melotronix

Postby DrYes » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Clar-i-ty wrote:As one who is struggling in this economy, I have to admit, I'm starting to resent the "serious Burners" and "those who have their shit together" remarks. I do have my shit together and I am a serious Burner. I work my ass off to be able to go every year. Just because I don't have a windfall of cash available on the day tickets go on sale doesn't mean I'm not serious. It means like many others, I'm making it work the best I can. This is just another obstacle that I will have to overcome, and honestly it has me worried.

That sucks, sorry to hear it. I spoke too quickly I think - I have empathy for folks in your situation. Hope you can make it!
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:02 am

The BMorg needs to actively sponsor some of the regionals, and make them viable alternatives to the original Burn.

The Burn evolved when it left the beach, then it evolved when it stopped being a free-entry event, then it evolved again in 1997 when certain rules were imposed. It can evolve again. Or perish.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby trilobyte » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:04 am

It might be an apex, or it could be another in a long line of things that people cried would ruin the event… but didn't.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:36 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:this years Ticket Drama is not as good as last years Ticket Drama...

Au contraire, mon frère..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby cpart » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:58 pm

trilobyte wrote:It might be an apex, or it could be another in a long line of things that people cried would ruin the event… but didn't.

The latter seems obvious.
cpart

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion