Shamballah Festival? Rainbow Gathering? Anybody been before?

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Re: Shamballah Festival? Rainbow Gathering? Anybody been bef

Postby britzbitz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:17 pm

moonrise wrote:I just looked at the Shamballah Festival website. I saw a Britzbitz on it, is that you?

Yes, that is me. 10 yr Shambhala-goer. 6th year working for the festival. 2nd year managing our social media.

It seems as though Burning Man and Shamballah are vastly different. (I haven't been to Shamballah)

Very much so. People often call us the "Canadian Burning Man" which is so wildly inaccurate, I won't even get started on it. These are usually people who have only been to one or the other, not both. SEE: picture of apple and orange above.

At Shamballah why no alcohol? Some of the infamous musicians' are drinkers, how do they get through it? I don't drink, but drinkers are drinkers, if you know what I mean. The vendors don't even sell sell it? I'm utterly stunned. (I do have a sip or night cap, soooo...hmmmm, even I might have an issue)

Burning Man is about twice "our" age. It has very very different roots than we do. Shambhala evolved out of the late 90's rave scene here in the Kootenays. Alcohol wasn't really a widely present thing at raves in this area back then. As the festival grew in the early years (started out in '98 with about 500 people, and continued to grow in #s after that), we started to see some problems arising, mostly stemming from alcohol. So we banned it. As a result of this, we have a VERY low violent incident rate. It's something like .03%, which is unusual for an event this size. If you look at an event of comparable size that allows alcohol, the # will be much higher. That being said, some alcohol does get in - people are crafty. Resourceful. But when you manage to get it past security checks, it becomes more of special thing, somehow. People treat it differently. They're not there to get rowdy drunk, just glad they can have a couple beer on the beach in the middle of the day.

No fire allowed? Huuuuge difference. I perform with fire, most of us do (probably 99% do or have or will) This is a deal killer for me, the end.
The lasers and lighting look tempting...although these are popular at the burn, being playa proof, so to speak.

Yeah, this is a big deal for us. Our event is held in the forest, in the middle of forest fire season. Our grounds are usually tinder box dry, even with watering the roads daily. Fire is just not an option for us, for public safety reasons. On the playa, of course, fire makes sense. There's no forest to burn down. haha.

No motorized couches and such, also a deal killer for many/most burners, think of the gearheads!!! They are dear to to us. :D
Other banned items seem reasonable, considering the geography and the fact broken glass and cattle ranching don't mix well.

We don't have the same kind of open space the Playa has for art cars to move around. We have, basically, one main road, and roads throughout the camping areas and they're always packed with people. People who will not move out of the way of a vehicle. I always sing silly songs at the top of my lungs asking people to move out of the way when I'm trying to deliver someting to the gate. The motorized couch (2010) was the first attempt we'd seen at an art car. No one had ever brought one in. Because of the general congestion of foot traffic on the roads, we had to ask the guy to park it. (See the attached photo, you'll see what I mean by not much open space)

No offense Britzbitz, if I had the extra dough, I'd probably go to Shamballah (& Yosemite, Hawaii, etc. For me, it's the burn, I am prepared and fired up)

None taken at all! :)
Attachments
sham11aerial.jpg
sham11aerial.jpg (99.64 KiB) Viewed 412 times
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
britzbitz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Postby lucky420 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:42 pm

moonrise, ok I wil take you up on that then!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby moonrise » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Awww, you're a sweetheart britzbitz. Perhaps I was a bit harsh :oops: The no alcohol thing threw me the most...for what it's worth I've never seen violence at the burn from drinking, phew!

You're a lucky gal to be able to enjoy the festivals britzbitz & welcome to Burning Man :P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@ Lucky420, yea, it's the ~Volcano, a fire cocktail show, and various other, similar, fun fire play. You and your adult kids can learn and play with them on your own, after a few lessons.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Previous

Return to Regionals & Events