Your first aid kit

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Your first aid kit

Postby illy dilly » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:54 am

One thing I found with camping is that 3M medical tap sucks. Default life, I love the stuff, but just doesn't stay on camping.

Clean pair of small but short scissors, gauze pads, and Duct Tape.
Liquid bandage is a must as well. nothing better for sealing a split finger.
Other than that, my first aid kit is just some generic ass "25 person" kit off the shelf.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby The CO » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:59 am

misfit wrote:tampons and kotex pads. multi use, for bleeding and bleeding...

Cellucotton was first developed as a wound dressing in WWI. It was afterwards that it was used for feminine products.

I have found antacids/pepto to be a good addition to the kit, and a selection of NSAID* pain relievers, not just one kind. An assortment of neoprene braces (ankle/knee/elbow/wrist) is handy, and it never hurts to keep some hard candies in there for diabetic issues.

GLOVES! Important if you are dealing with biohazard. Nitrile for the latex averse.

*NSAID=Nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drugs. Aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:44 pm

The CO wrote:
misfit wrote:tampons and kotex pads. multi use, for bleeding and bleeding...

Cellucotton was first developed as a wound dressing in WWI. It was afterwards that it was used for feminine products.

I have found antacids/pepto to be a good addition to the kit, and a selection of NSAID* pain relievers, not just one kind. An assortment of neoprene braces (ankle/knee/elbow/wrist) is handy, and it never hurts to keep some hard candies in there for diabetic issues.

GLOVES! Important if you are dealing with biohazard. Nitrile for the latex averse.

*NSAID=Nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drugs. Aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen.

Having multiple is a good idea. For myself, I get symptoms of overdose of asperin before I get an effective dose, so I don't take it any more. Love ibuprofen, but for my shoulder it's naproxen.

And the latex can be a bit more than "adverse."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Playa+Tom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:32 pm

Pepto. ibuprofin. eye drops, nose spray, sunburn lotion, bag balm. I don't worry about serious injuries or diseases, the ESD is there for that I take stuff for those minot irritating things that make life miserable.
Playa+Tom

Postby Risky » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:17 am

For BM, most major injuries are best handled by ESD.
Tourniquets, QuikClots and IV's should only be used by those educated, or you can actually cause more harm.

Most injuries are going to be cuts, abrasions and burns.
Stopping the bleeding and applying pressure will be the most common actions needed until ESD arrives, so lots of gauze and tape.

I also find handy -
Anbesol for tooth aches, Solarcaine for burns, and prescription pain killers.

I second the scissors, tweezers, bandaids, nitrile gloves, hand sanitizer, Neosporin, mild pain killer and eye drops.

Don't forget your NORad.
Risky

Postby lothos 1162 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:49 pm

first I keep a medium ems trauma bag in my van,a large ems trauma bag goes into Thunderdome,a small first aid kit in my fanny pack when I Ranger,I can fix almost anything,and treat almost anything.Lothos( Thunderdome Medic Lead/ BRC Ranger/BRC Gate).....Remember all bleeding eventually stops.
lothos 1162

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:54 pm

You better be taking good care of Scott's bag!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:35 am

I keep a small kit with the usual stuff with the addition of burnjel, crazy glue, flat duct tape, saline for eye n nose, betadine, really sharp tweezys, and extra emergenc and moleskin. The large kit kept at camp has mil surpls surgical kit and refills for my small kit. I only keep a few bandages and single use packs and such when out and about. Burns are my most common injury in BRC, every now n than I will scrape or cut. Never needed IV or the chopper ride but I keep the insurance just in case. I do like that there are peeps with the knowhow that bring IVs when they can, alot of folks slip up and drop all dehydrated n shit. So stay hydrated for fawkes sake, drink your effin water and piss clear, or at least a very light orange.
BlackRockCityPimp

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping