Reducing the line to get in the gate

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Reducing the line to get in the gate

Postby Rice » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:58 pm

bradtem wrote:I was away for the weekend, having a life, but the truth is there's little productive to be gained in this forum, or any forum where people devolve to just criticising personalities rather than discussing the ideas. The folks who actually have worked gate provided useful info. The amount of negativity from a few others is a shame; folks with thinner skins and less experience are surely being driven away by it elsewhere on eplaya, whether they have contributions to make or not. Fortunately most real burners in real life don't act that way.

I do not deny being a jerk at times.

I do know a bit about how gate works, and why some stuff happens. I have seen the gate and exodus lines from a perimeter perspective.

You give the participants more credit than they have earned.

I disagree with some of your ideas. I believe the way it is will refute some other of your ideas. There are a few, that I like.

Getting involved in the actual "yay - we are at Burning Man" operations of the gate will refine some of your ideas.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby bradtem » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:33 pm

stretch80 wrote:
bradtem wrote:I was away for the weekend, having a life, but the truth is there's little productive to be gained in this forum, or any forum where people devolve to just criticising personalities rather than discussing the ideas. The folks who actually have worked gate provided useful info. The amount of negativity from a few others is a shame; folks with thinner skins and less experience are surely being driven away by it elsewhere on eplaya, whether they have contributions to make or not. Fortunately most real burners in real life don't act that way.

I do not deny being a jerk at times.

I do know a bit about how gate works, and why some stuff happens. I have seen the gate and exodus lines from a perimeter perspective.

You give the participants more credit than they have earned.

I disagree with some of your ideas. I believe the way it is will refute some other of your ideas. There are a few, that I like.

Getting involved in the actual "yay - we are at Burning Man" operations of the gate will refine some of your ideas.

Of course it would. Even discussing with people who have actually worked gate (few as they have been in the thread) has modified things. That's the goal -- to propose, to learn, to refine. Not to engage in flamewars with folks being jerks (and you were hardly the worst of them.) But to me the fact that people will act bizarrely because they are finally at burning man after a long quest of prep and travel, more bizarrely than you might imagine -- that isn't an insurmountable wall. That's just another part of the puzzle, a challenge to be solved, not a reason to throw up your hands and say "it can never be improved." It's my normal way of operating to think outside the box; this does not guarantee success by any measure, in fact it often fails. But it is also often the only thing that succeeds. I happen to make a living at it.

Time on the playa is precious to me and to most others. To get 20,000 people a few extra hours each on the playa would be a great thing, and something worthy of effort and spending money.
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Postby lemur » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:39 pm

bradtem wrote:...the truth is there's little productive to be gained in this forum, or any forum where people devolve to just criticising personalities rather than discussing the ideas..

the way i saw the progression of the thread was that at first people were talking about ideas..

then, after it became clear that you were gonna blabber on no matter how the gate crew and others responded people started to focus on you ...because there was a lot of you to read ..

i think after a few pages people just got tired of it....
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:50 pm

First, you have committed a total of 13,729 words, not including quotes, to this subject. That's enough to fill 23+ pages single spaced. For that reason alone, I'm glad to hear you get out of the house to "have a life."

Next, you are only interested in your own ideas and pontification. It seems to you, discussion does not include experienced retorts, debate and objection from more than a few whom I know to be on the Gate crew. Not all of them openly identify themselves.

Finally, it's clear that you expected us to say,"OMG you're right! Silly Gate Crew who must just love doing it wrong every year. We are so indebted to you Bradtem! What did we ever do without you!"

Instead you got, "Thanks for the input, but these are the reasons it won't or doesn't work." That and what I feel is a healthy amount of mockery for your expansive superfluous explanations that did more to amuse us than to convince us.

Consider what your response would be to someone who comes into your dojo and says, "I've never done what you do, but I know what you're doing wrong, and if you do what I say you can do it better." The intended offer to help would no doubt be met with no fewer than 13,729 words in response.

If you really want to make a difference, get genuine experience and get involved.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby lemur » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:49 pm

the last time i did a count of the words we were at around 8000...

i was glad to see im not the only one who was wondering..

it takes a bit of time to copy/paste it all into a document for counting..
lemur

Postby Clar-i-ty » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Yeah, I have some free time on my hands. And since I write for a living, my curiosity got the best of me. Sometimes it pays to do mundane research to make a point.

:D
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby lemur » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:09 am

EPIC BUMP.
lemur

Previous