found and gifted silver full-suspension bike

found and gifted silver full-suspension bike

Postby Not Joe » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Hey, Not joe from 'Cranky and son' bike repair.. we were gifted an undecorated silver full-suspension mountain bike that was abandoned in the street for days with a busted front wheel.. in retrospect, this yells stolen, but it seemed noone came for it for 3 days..
anyways, its fate ended as parts from the bike were used to fix the many ailments of bikes hurting on the playa. Im sorry if you were dying to get this particular ride back, but know it went to a good use and helped many folks.
cheers!
Not Joe

Re: found and gifted silver full-suspension bike

Postby EmTastic » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Sigh! This may very well have been my hubby's bike. It was stolen from the 2:00 side when he forgot to lock it up and went dancing. Glad to know it was used to help some people out, though we would have liked it back. For future reference - there's a place for lost/found bikes on-playa? I've not heard of one (or had need of one) in my 5 years on the playa, and when I asked at playa info the jerk just railed on me for not locking it up.
EmTastic

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:25 pm

EmTastic wrote:For future reference - there's a place for lost/found bikes on-playa? I've not heard of one (or had need of one) in my 5 years on the playa, and when I asked at playa info the jerk just railed on me for not locking it up.

No. There simply isn't the person power or a place to cope with the lost bikes. Hundreds (thousands?) are left on playa after the event is over, and it's simply never going to happen. Which is why we tend to tell be to lock them up religiously, and get cranky when people don't. Sorry.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Nipple

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Ta.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Nipple » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:42 pm

I just like posting that picture.

There's no easy way to handle that issue. Should people be instructed to drag abandoned bikes to a specific place? Then you get well meaning people dragging your bike away to the corral while you're busy staring at shiny bright new thing.

Sorry your husband's bike might have been parted out. (though it's pretty thin that it was actually his. I'm REALLY into bikes... and I can tell one from the other pretty well, but I would need more of a description than that to even begin to think that was a specific bike.)
Nipple

Postby remi » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:36 am

Is there an abn'd bike area/bike rack? If not, there should be. I bet half the people that stole bikes would wake up the next day feeling bad and bring it to the 'abn'd bike area' themselves. Meh. I was thinking about booby trapping a bike to an electric current and leaving it sitting somewhere unlocked... lurking in the shadows waiting to be stolen... then.. Bam.. Zap.. Karma.. batman style.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:36 am

remi wrote:Is there an abn'd bike area/bike rack? If not, there should be. I bet half the people that stole bikes would wake up the next day feeling bad and bring it to the 'abn'd bike area' themselves. Meh. I was thinking about booby trapping a bike to an electric current and leaving it sitting somewhere unlocked... lurking in the shadows waiting to be stolen... then.. Bam.. Zap.. Karma.. batman style.

1--It's a doacracy. You can set up an abandoned bike area and baby sit 2000 bikes and get 75 of them back to their owners with another 200 going to people who talk you into believing that that bike is theirs. And some will just walk off by theirselves.
2--Here are some more ideas.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Return to Bikes