2012 Reno RV rentals

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

2012 Reno RV rentals

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:24 am

Looking now for the lowest possible rate for the smallest possible RV. Some companies aren't releasing rates until Jan 2012.. but anyone that has done this legwork before.. who did you end up going with, for how much, and how was your experience?

Feel free also to post your 2012 rental rates and packages that you went with as well.

Disclaimer: I'm not looking for myself. I'm a Budget box truck kinda guy.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: 2012 Reno RV rentals

Postby essjay » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:59 pm

I would caution you to reconsider "the smallest possible RV" . . . The smallest possible models may not be worth the money. I say this because the smallest models I've seen have a fold-out couch/futon for your bed and are so small, that it is uncomfortable to have two people moving around in there. . . They are very small and usually don't come with a genny. I would look into the price difference for a bit larger model with a true queen-size bed and a genny - I don't think the difference is that much and would be worth it for full-size amenities.

If you find that the price difference is too much, I would consider a box truck over the smallest RV models. It will be much cheaper and lots more space.

As for prices, we had six people in the largest model you can rent - the kind with double slide-outs (don't rent from CruiseAmerica - they have only very basic models and no slide-outs). Our RV was out of Denver (I don't live there, but my campmates do) and was about $2500 for 10 days, unlimited mileage and unlimited genny time (we have been renting from the same place for many years and they give us perks now). Since you are looking for a smaller model, I'm not sure that comparison helps much.

I've also heard that Reno is difficult to rent out of because the demand is so high that the companies can pretty much dictate their terms. It might be worth getting some quotes from companies in a 250-mile radius and see if you can get a better deal in return for a little more driving
essjay

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:02 pm

Interesting.. that may be an option.

I'm looking for two women in their early 60s that are pretty resilient, but could use something decent. I mean.. they're my mom and aunt, afterall.. :wink:
junglesmacks

Postby essjay » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:11 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Interesting.. that may be an option.

I'm looking for two women in their early 60s that are pretty resilient, but could use something decent. I mean.. they're my mom and aunt, afterall.. :wink:

Funny . . . after I posted that, I read some other threads and realized that you have plenty of experience with the box trucks, and I don't need to tell you about that!!

So, you know what it would take to get them comfortable in a box truck - but I see how they would prefer an RV. (very cool that you are bringing your family, BTW. My dad, also in his 60's wants to go, and a campmate of mine had her parents out this year (camping separately) and it went very well for them).

Again, I would look at the difference between the "smallest" which would typically be a futon and no genny vs. the next size up with a little more space. A lot of rental companies have floor plans on their websites for various models, but I would suggest going to one in your area and checking them out in person, so you can really see what you're getting and determine whether the price difference is worth it.
essjay

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:29 pm

True, problem is that we all fly in from FL. It would have to be a local company. Sacramento might be the only other city that could be an option I think though. Maybe San Fran, but I'm betting that they would pay extra for the closer convenience...

Yeah this should be interesting :D I have multiple cousins that attend each year, and this year one is getting married 2 weeks before the burn.. and as a wedding party, wants everyone to find a way to make it to the playa..

I couldn't imagine anything better than showing my incredible mother who bred the appreciation of everything that is beautiful into me what is to me the most incredible thing that I've ever seen with my own eyes.
junglesmacks

Postby AntiM » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:37 pm

While the drive is longer, do look at Boise and Salt Lake City. SLC has a major airport (cheaper airfare), and a ton of outdoor rental places. We have five national parks, there's always RVs available here.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby essjay » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:41 pm

junglesmacks wrote:True, problem is that we all fly in from FL. It would have to be a local company. Sacramento might be the only other city that could be an option I think though. Maybe San Fran, but I'm betting that they would pay extra for the closer convenience...

Yeah, I'm just saying that you could get an idea of the models you are looking at to determine whether the space and amenities are adequate and then go to a local company in FL, inquiring as if you were going to rent or buy, to see them in person. Then you would know what you are getting into when you rent over the phone.

I think you are right about Sacramento over SF. So many burners come out of SF that it is probably a companay's market there as well.
essjay

Postby Canoe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:59 pm

AntiM wrote:While the drive is longer, do look at Boise and Salt Lake City. SLC has a major airport (cheaper airfare), and a ton of outdoor rental places. We have five national parks, there's always RVs available here.

In 2010 I flew in - solo - to SLC and drove over in a 30 footer. It was the only size left on August 10th, 2010. There were three available in the morning, and only one in the afternoon, but five still available down in Vegas. They said the small sizes sell out first. I had it a day short of two weeks, 1200 miles ($384) with $0.32 per extra mile: $3433.49 with tax. Plus gas.
Driving it from SLC to BRC: the wind was scary on the flat just before reaching Nevada, and a few spots up in the hills.
Driving it from BRC back to SLC: It was windy. The wind was so strong that it kept sucking the vent in the bathroom roof open. It eventually blew the paneling between the bathroom and the bedroom off.
Coming down the hills to Nevada/Utah border, it was so windy I thought I was going be blown off the road, but there was no place to stop safely. At the border town (name?), the waste bins at the gas stations were all blown away. It settled down, but leaving out into Utah on the flat, I still had to hold the the top of the steering wheel turned from 12:00 high over to around 1:30, sometimes 2:00, just to stay straight. Thankfully it was steady, unlike up in the hills.
Very fatiguing concentration required.

Would they be driving it to BRC, or would someone be able to pick it up from SLC, Denver, etc. and bring it to Reno or BRC for them?

Heard of rates as low as $1,500 for two weeks out of Phoenix, unlimited mileage, but you've got the drive.

This year, very shortly before the Burn, someone had their reservation cancelled. They posted on eplaya asking for advice/help. If I recall properly, someone was able to put them in touch with someone who got them setup with a Rental out of Reno! And not gouged. I'd suggest you search for those posts and see if you can come up with a contact by PM the involved parties.
Last edited by Canoe on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Lady V » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:03 pm

We've been looking, too, coming from the Bay Area. I got a response from a burner-friendly place owned by a burner mentioned on the BMan website 'resources' page as being a place that doesn't jack up the prices for burners. This is what I was quoted (this was the "just lowered" price):

25' Class C - $4390.00, 35' Class A w/2 side outs $5840.00 for 10 nights (and some others of in-between size with in-between prices). That's $400 to $500 a night!

To me, this is just obscene. I am not quite as old as the women you mention, but I'll be sleeping in a tent. I'll save my $5K to go to Tahiti or Europe..! :roll:
Lady V

Postby Canoe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:05 pm

I'm told that the hit-them rate for a 25', no slide-outs, out of Reno is in the order of $6,000 for the duration of the Burn.
At least that's what I was being told phoning Reno in early August, 2010.
Last edited by Canoe on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Yeah.. no.. none of that would work. Both ladies have a pretty tight schedule business wise and would need minimal travel time outside of BRC. Reno or Sacramento would be the only way.. and I'm leaning towards Reno being the only way more or less.
junglesmacks

Postby Lady V » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:00 am

Forgot to say those numbers I wrote in my earlier post are out of Reno, for 2012, 10 days, Burning Man.
Lady V

Postby jcliff » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:48 am

Junglesmacks, I decided to purchase an RV instead of rent because the rental prices were so out of control. I fly into Reno and was in the same boat you are. I bought a very good condition vintage RV for $1900 and paid the Burners I purchased from $300 to store her for me and start her up through the winter (they're just south of Fernley.)

Before I decided to buy instead, I researched all the companies in the Reno area pretty throroughly. The best price I found was through American Dreams Recreational Rental in Reno. They rent out RV's that are owned by other people. If I remember correctly they were about $3000 for a good sized RV, significantly less than other companies. They require it to be fully paid by May, but they take $100 off for every month you are fully paid early, up to $500.....so if you are fully paid by January, the rental would be $2500. They charged $1000 damage deposit and $750 cleaning deposit that has to be paid up front, but are refundable.

Keep in mind that most places charge a $750 cleaning deposit, and from what I hear, you are likely to lose the entire thing unless it comes back better than when you got it. There's a thread on here somewhere about RV cleaning that you may want to check out.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Return to Transportation