Little van love

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Little van love

Postby Haakon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:16 am

So this year we brought out a small van to use as a handicap vehicle. Since my wife just had a knee replacement it seemed like a good idea allowing us to save her knee for walking out to the burns. When we were in the line at DMV the guy behind us also had a handicap vehicle and told us stories of abuse from folks telling him it wasn't mutated enough. I appeared to be a Ford Focus with the doors removed and had several artistic structures on it. Looked like an art car to me and he still got grief for it not being mutated enough. So we thought we'd get a hard time for a totally stock vehicle running around the playa. I just wanted to say we had the best time in the little Cony. Not one single bad comment. Everybody loved it! We couldn't drive more than 20 feet without someone wanting to look at it. Many said it was their favorite art car!?. We gave people rides across the playa and were even flagged down down by a disabled man thinking we were the disabled camp coming to get him to pick up a golf cart for the burn. Small car, big man but we got him over to the disabled camp and never told we were not part of it.
So I got to say thank you burning man citizens for liking our little handicap vehicle and not giving us a hard time for it not being mutated enough.
Haakon and Tammiegirl
Attachments
cony.jpg
Cony Wide
cony.jpg (231.06 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
Haakon

Re: Little van love

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:32 am

The DMV has a process for registering handicapped vehicles without regard to level of mutation. You much pre-register. (I think it closes at July 31st.) You have to bring your placard and the documentation from your state dmv. I didn't get any flack from them. They also gave me a flag that would make it easy for rangers to identify me as someone with a mobility disability from a distance.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:34 am

I'd like to hear more about any harrassment of people that have to use their regular vehicle to get around BM.

My niece and her daughter want to go this year and will have to use the default van to get around the event.

They have a disorder called ostiopurosious inperfecta which is basicly "brittel bones".

They do fine in big crowds, but when you add bicycles, it's a whole new dangerous element.

I want them to stay in the van as much as possible with short trips outside it to see the art or visit camps.

These are people that can break ribs with a hard sneeze, so they have to be protected, and I don't want them to be harassed.

Any reply is much appreciated! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:39 am

The process is built upon a dmv placard or state handicapped license plate. So if they don't have one, now's the time to go to the doctor and get that started.
I'm having trouble imagining that the department of mutant vehicles would have an issue with anyone simply having a disability. Of course, I've known two hotties with serious physical issues.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby illy dilly » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:43 am

FIGJAM wrote:I'd like to hear more about any harrassment of people that have to use their regular vehicle to get around BM.

My niece and her daughter want to go this year and will have to use the default van to get around the event.

They have a disorder called ostiopurosious inperfecta which is basicly "brittel bones".

They do fine in big crowds, but when you add bicycles, it's a whole new dangerous element.

I want them to stay in the van as much as possible with short trips outside it to see the art or visit camps.

These are people that can break ribs with a hard sneeze, so they have to be protected, and I don't want them to be harassed.

Any reply is much appreciated! 8)

O man, I can totally understand why you want them to stay in the van!!!!
If they are out on foot at night they need to be hella lit up.

It made me shudder, when I read "can break ribs with a hard sneeze"

Good luck FigJam. Have them come on by The Gnome Dome, we'll be gentle!

Would it be worth making a handi cap symbol out of conspicuity tape or something?
And maybe el wire at night? There are lots of 12vDC drivers for el wire. It would be super easy to set it up.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:51 am

The van has placards and plates.

They have both been in wheel chairs for most of their lives.

My niece is an artist, photographer, web designer, and directed a ren fair for 15 years.

Adopted 2 more kids with the same condition.

Her daugther, what can I say, she has started doing SUSPENCION performance!!! (shivers) :shock:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:57 am

FIGJAM we know one another and I'm usually pretty sympathetic to a cause like you outlined. But forgive me, is Burning Man the right place for anybody to be who has brittle bones and can literally snap over a bad sneeze? Given the likelyhood of white outs in 2012, the very thought makes me want to sneeze. I'm wondering if perhaps there is another alternative?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:37 am

I'm thinking a "nest" in the van so they can stay inside most of the time.

Driving out to see the art during the day when they could leave the van with little danger for short times.

Not leave the van at all at night unless their in my camp.

I'll rig a shade for them to park under during the day.

These two don't let anything stop them and it's on their bucket list to "do" BM. 8)

Thanks Doc.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby unjonharley » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:47 am

FIGJAM wrote:I'm thinking a "nest" in the van so they can stay inside most of the time.

Driving out to see the art during the day when they could leave the van with little danger for short times.

Not leave the van at all at night unless their in my camp.

I'll rig a shade for them to park under during the day.

These two don't let anything stop them and it's on their bucket list to "do" BM. 8)

Thanks Doc.

I will do any thing to help.. Just tell me what
unjonharley

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks unjon.

We've got plenty of time to figure it out.

Plans A,B,C plus exit statigies A,B, and C!

Just another of lifes little adventures. (That scare the shit out of me.) 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Props for making this happen, Figgy. Selflessness at it's finest.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby illy dilly » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:32 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Just another of lifes little adventures. (That scare the shit out of me.) 8)

"Courage is not being fearless, but doing what needs to be done in the face of fear"
-some important guy, thats probably dead

Fig, good luck with helping them make it to and enjoy the burn.
Its good to hear you have Plans and Exist plans A,B,C, and D in place.
I imagine that they will be sleeping in the ban? possibly a trailer?
I could just see easily hurting a wrist or ankle getting in/out, moving around, or rolling out of bed in a tent.
I know that when we go tent camping, our tent quickly turns into a disaster area/obstacle course.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby moonrise » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Cute Van!

FIGJAM, You register via similar process as the MV's, and you end up on hotshot the MV announce list :)
I'm probably going to light up the BLUE DISABLED FLAG the DMV gives out (2011 was the first year they gave the flags out) The skull & cross bones design is kewl.
If it's a regular vehicle, I'd zip tie and duct tape the flag to the antenna, and try to light it up if possible (white light, no color)

Pedestrians and bikes have right of way (they're supposed to in BRC, some burners told me otherwise, but I politely told them to stfu, lol) So, there's a LOT of stop and go, especially if in crowded areas (I try to avoid crowded streets) If they're doing the driving with brittle bone disease, can the driver handle LOTS of stopping and going?!
Also, lots of stop and go for large MV's on the streets (open playa was not an issue) Sometimes reverse is needed, if a BIG MV is in the mix coming down a street.

Often there is a loooong wait to cross the Esplanade, no driving down Esplanade road as well as A & B (I forgot, but I think B had no driving this year) Basically, you may only cross A & B and Esplanade.

I have a feeling you'll make a serious "nest" inside the vehicle. BUT, what about the HUGGERS?!!!!!!!!!!! Some hug too hard as it is! :shock: No means Yes? Maybe if they wore a "Don't hug me!" sign?? But, uh, beware of the huggers! (what a shame) Maybe try BIG spiked outfits?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby BBadger » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:17 pm

It's be awesome if you made it into a giant glowing handicapped chair MV. Spinning wheels and everything.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby gyre » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:38 pm

What the hell is that thing?

Just be sure to light up the sides as well as the front and rear.

A little decoration goes a long way.

If I can help with lighting, I'd be happy to.

I really recommend conspicuity tape for reflectors. (dot grade stuff)

They should have no problem, other than huggers.
gyre

Postby Haakon » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:36 am

What the hell is that thing?

Just be sure to light up the sides as well as the front and rear.

A little decoration goes a long way.

If I can help with lighting, I'd be happy to.

I really recommend conspicuity tape for reflectors. (dot grade stuff)

They should have no problem, other than huggers.

gyre

The most asked question.. it's a Cony Wide Deluxe 360 made by Aichi motor Co. Japan. Made from the early 60's to the early 70's. It has a 360 cc air cooled motor under the back seat. We drove it every day and only used about 2 gallons of gas. The vans are very rare as most imported into the US were trucks.
If I bring it back it will have EL wire and lights so we can drive at night.
Haakon

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:46 am

Reminds me of the first subaru's.

http://www.mysubaru360.com/photos/

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby graidawg » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:16 am

I thought it was a vw camper pretty damn cool
i really hope your neice and her daughter make it but they are going to have to be so damn careful of hugs (my worst nightmare) you really really need a good plan in place to avoid hugs.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:02 am

Just to be clear, their van is a full sized with a lift ramp.

I'm thinking they will stay inside it 90% of the time with short trips outside to look at art only during the day.

The rest of the time they can drive around the city to their hearts content.

They can be outside while in camp, and since I'll be right on the spoke road, they can interact with people there. 8)
Last edited by FIGJAM on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:05 am

BBadger wrote:It's be awesome if you made it into a giant glowing handicapped chair MV. Spinning wheels and everything.

THIS :D
junglesmacks

Postby gyre » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:12 am

It's very cool just like it is.

The main reason you need to be lit up on the sides is to prevent idiots from riding bikes or walking into the side.

Very nice van.
gyre

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:21 am

gyre wrote:It's very cool just like it is.

I'm very cool just like I am too.. but some LED lights make me that much cooler.. 8)
junglesmacks

Postby gyre » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:28 am

Haakon wrote:The most asked question.. it's a Cony Wide Deluxe 360 made by Aichi motor Co. Japan. Made from the early 60's to the early 70's. It has a 360 cc air cooled motor under the back seat. We drove it every day and only used about 2 gallons of gas. The vans are very rare as most imported into the US were trucks.
If I bring it back it will have EL wire and lights so we can drive at night.

Aichi!!!
So cool!

I recommend lighting up the sides, as in bouncing light off the sides to illuminate the shape.
This is more effective than it looks at first.

There are points of light everywhere.
Shapes are easier to see.

Consider the reflective stuff.

If you want more outward vision for seeing art, people etc, I suggest euro code headlights, if you don't have them, and work lights for any additional light.
Good ones have very different patterns from headlamps.

Hella has a good worklight version with two bulbs, very reasonable.
They make a flush or outside mount.
gyre

Postby gyre » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:35 am

junglesmacks wrote:

I'm very cool just like I am too.. but some LED lights make me that much cooler.. 8)

I think i saw you at the office party with those christmas lights draped over you.
gyre

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:17 pm

gyre wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:

I think i saw you at the office party with those christmas lights draped over you.

Lampshade on the head? Yeah.. that was me.

SEE?? That. Much. Cooler..
junglesmacks

Return to Experiences at Burning Man