I really want a dirty martini...right now!

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: I really want a dirty martini...right now!

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:40 am

Saber rattling!? I thought I was being quite reserved.

BTW I'm not a big fan of AA either, for many of the reasons you cite. But it works for some--and it doesn't for others. My problem with your post is your misunderstanding of addiction. If your assumption about addiction were true, taken to it's logical conclusion one could say if you had cancer, you could just will it away because you are so powerful. Which, I'm sure you would admit, is absurd.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:56 am

You don't have to believe in the Easter Bunny to enjoy the chocolate. :)

The universe is a fucking mystery, nobody knows where it came from or why we're here. Things go a lot easier when you stop pretending that you know everything.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:02 am

Yup, and the tides go in and the tides go out. Ya just can't explain it. God only knows.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Sic Pup » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:06 am

jkisha wrote:Yup, and the tides go in and the tides go out. Ya just can't explain it. God only knows.

Given his proximity to the moon I can see why.

theCryptofishist wrote:A desperate attempt to inject humor and cuteness into the thread:

I kinda liked the "No, you didn't" but I'm partial.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Elorrum » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:19 am

Yeah, props for "no you didn't" cat's cute too.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby unjonharley » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:30 am

jkisha wrote:Saber rattling!? I thought I was being quite reserved.

BTW I'm not a big fan of AA either, for many of the reasons you cite. But it works for some--and it doesn't for others. My problem with your post is your misunderstanding of addiction. If your assumption about addiction were true, taken to it's logical conclusion one could say if you had cancer, you could just will it away because you are so powerful. Which, I'm sure you would admit, is absurd.

I have always said "AA dose not work for any one". AA is a suggested way of living life.. It was put together by a group of people that explains (in a book) how they used this plan to escape "there" addict and lead a better life for them self..

You went into a store.. You looked around.. Some of the clerks were fucked up.. You didn't find what you wanted..So you bad mouth the whole store..

You go into a store for a new coat.. You get a new coat.
You go into a store for shit.. You get shit..
unjonharley

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:49 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:You don't have to believe in the Easter Bunny to enjoy the chocolate. :)

The universe is a fucking mystery, nobody knows where it came from or why we're here. Things go a lot easier when you stop pretending that you know everything.

Back the fuck up...

What do you mean "You don't have to believe in the Easter Bunny"?

Are you implying something?
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby TomServo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:28 pm

If it were up to me, I'd simply not attend the AA meetings. But because it's required, at this particular house, I feel some degree of license to criticize. I didn't move here to attend AA, Ive been to AA and never really cared for it before.....but when I got here, it quickly became clear that this is an AA infused recovery home. Yes, it works wonders for some people..and I won't talk shit about those individuals or their recovery. But, when it's expected of me, to participate in something that I feel is absolute bullshit....in my personal opinion...it's hard to keep me quiet.
I see house mates using all kinds of excuses, including flaws in the program, to justify relapsing, every day. And, despite my personal animosity towards the program, thats just too weak an excuse to sneak out for a drink. Last night, a house mate went off to smoke rocks, in a car that isn't his...and he's still missing. My addiction isn't that strong, that I'd steal a car and go missing for days.
My question for today was..why am I here? Staying sober is a breeze. I just don't drink. But, rationalizing sobriety...other than the money and health issues...is a whole different question. I like the high.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:59 pm

I like having a drink or two myself on occasion. I guess the difference is that it's not causing me any health or money issues. And more importantly, I drink to enhance other activities, not for the high in and of itself. If getting high is the motivation for drinking or using any drug, it's a sure sign you are abusing rather than using.

But this is just my opinion on the matter.
JK
jkisha

Postby maryanimal » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:03 pm

ok...being in denial of knowing you (as a general statement) have a real problem with alcohol, is a phychological issue. When you lose your job, your home, and you have no money because you (as a general statement) spend it all on alcohol, but think you're in control of your (as a general statement) drinking, is a fucking huge issue. Denial for some is so deep, they start truly believing that, "I can stop anytime I want".

My ex husband was that way. I have friends that have been/are going through that same shit. I've never been addicted to anything in my life, but I've seen my friends who've been addicts of drugs and alcohol, and some have made it out alive...a couple haven't, all because of the phrase, "I can stop anytime I want to".

And Tom, I'm so pleased that you've stayed sober and been trying to work the program. I'm sure having to deal with the religious aspect of it is hard for you. You have a lot to be proud of. Just stay sober, live your life without booze and help others who are in the same position as you. I think you'd be terrific at it!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby graidawg » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:33 pm

maryanimal wrote:
And Tom, I'm so pleased that you've stayed sober and been trying to work the program. I'm sure having to deal with the religious aspect of it is hard for you. You have a lot to be proud of. Just stay sober, live your life without booze and help others who are in the same position as you. I think you'd be terrific at it!

thats what I wanted to say to you TS so +5 MA
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Elorrum » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:46 pm

TomServo wrote:Staying sober is a breeze. I just don't drink. But, rationalizing sobriety...other than the money and health issues...is a whole different question. I like the high.

I'm not sure what sort of support you want here.
I miss the feeling. I totally get this. Here's something that helped me: do a little pie chart or timeline, and draw out a graphic of a 12 hr. binge. Pick one that took a turn you swore it wouldn't. How much wonderful, how much, no so much? How much you remember, how much you were perhaps messing up? using poor judgement, driving? spending money you couldn't afford to spend? getting into dangerous situations? Acting in ways you consider not consistent with how you prefer to behave? Blowing off commitments? How much could you predict? That you absolutely would not drive? This graphic was helpful to me when I was missing what I considered the good part of drinking. Seems like you need to focus on the cons here... because at some point they cannot be separated from the smaller portion that is great. Once you are a pickle, you can't be a cucumber again. Listen to those who have gone back out and tried it. You've already done something that is extremely hard. Congratulations.
Elorrum

Postby TomServo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:26 pm

THE TWELVE STEPS OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become
unmanageable.
-I have admitted I was weak willed against my addiction. That my addiction often triumphed over common sense and reality.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to
sanity.
- I have come to believe in the power of MY community, it’s values and practices, that give me peace of mind.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we
understood Him.
- I have made the decision to allow my higher power to guide me in my endeavors and give me the will to exercise my thoughts and habits.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- I’ve been raised to examine my mistakes and successes, and to learn from them.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature
of our wrongs.
- I have admitted my wrongs, to myself and my peers. I have expressed an earnest desire to improve upon them.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- My higher power is guiding me through my recovery. I am learning the patterns and habits that have always led me down the wrong path.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
I have asked my peers for guidance, and work upon their advice.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make
amends to them all.
- Yes
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do
so would injure them or others.
I’ve been making amends to those I’ve harmed for several years, and have learned to either stop myself before harming another or promptly resolve my negative actions.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly
admitted it.
- see above
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with
God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us
and the power to carry that out.
- I am Agnostic..My higher power is not a god, however I do meditate on the principles of my higher power and seek guidance in my recovery.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to
carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our
affairs.
-My higher power has given me a spiritual awakening. I have developed a closer relationship with my higher power, because of these steps.

TomServo

Postby maryanimal » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:14 pm

TomServo wrote:THE TWELVE STEPS OF ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS
1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become
unmanageable.
-I have admitted I was weak willed against my addiction. That my addiction often triumphed over common sense and reality.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to
sanity.
- I have come to believe in the power of MY community, it’s values and practices, that give me peace of mind.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we
understood Him.
- I have made the decision to allow my higher power to guide me in my endeavors and give me the will to exercise my thoughts and habits.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
- I’ve been raised to examine my mistakes and successes, and to learn from them.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
- My higher power is guiding me through my recovery. I am learning the patterns and habits that have always led me down the wrong path.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature
of our wrongs.
- I have admitted my wrongs, to myself and my peers. I have expressed an earnest desire to improve upon them.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
I have asked my peers for guidance, and work upon their advice.
8.Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make
amends to them all.
- Yes
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do
so would injure them or others.
I’ve been making amends to those I’ve harmed for several years, and have learned to either stop myself before harming another or promptly resolve my negative actions.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly
admitted it.
- see above
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with
God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us
and the power to carry that out.
- I am Agnostic..My higher power is not a god, however I do meditate on the principles of my higher power and seek guidance in my recovery.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these Steps, we tried to
carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our
affairs.
-My higher power has given me a spiritual awakening. I have developed a closer relationship with my higher power, because of these steps.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby TomServo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:24 pm

and your point is?

TomServo

Postby maryanimal » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Still sarcastic I see..
maryanimal

Postby TomServo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:30 pm

maryanimal wrote:Still sarcastic I see..

always and forever

TomServo

Postby maryanimal » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Some things never change Jeff... :?
maryanimal

Postby maryanimal » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:35 pm

I AM glad you're doing good.
maryanimal

Postby TomServo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:25 pm

1 year sober, this week!! And I still fucking hate AA! << my personal view. I won't lie to anyone, including myself...I probably will have that Dirty Martini. But, I don't really want one right now.

TomServo

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:38 pm

Way to go, Tom!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby wh..sh » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:49 pm

TomServo wrote:1 year sober, this week!! And I still fucking hate AA! << my personal view. I won't lie to anyone, including myself...I probably will have that Dirty Martini. But, I don't really want one right now.

I remember reading this thread (and all the arguments) when I first joined eplaya.
Wow Tom! Kudos, you have come a long way since then.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby CrispyDave » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:28 pm

jkisha wrote:There are other ways to quit besides AA. But I'm sure the fact that your meetings in Bakersfield is a big part of the reason you don't like them. You ought to try a few meetings in West Hollywood or Beverly Hills!

I went to AA for 3 months, had to give it a try after drinking heavily for years, you know get up in the morning have a cig and a pint of Taaka Vodka to get rid of the shakes kind of drinking. That would be followed up by at quart before lunch and more to follow.....

I quit AA as it was not for me. The only thing I kept and KEEP telling myself is if I drink again even one drop Im gonna die. I know it in my core...

I am a Burgin to BM this year and have never shared this story....

Anyway keep doing what you need to stay sober, cant say it gets easier but it does get better....

BTW I'm 12 years sober as of April 11 this year 2012....

Dave
Plan for the worst, expect the best.
Make the most out of it under any conditions.
If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself.
CrispyDave

Camp Name: Temple Guardians

Postby wh..sh » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Tom and CrispyDave!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Elorrum » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:55 pm

Way to go Tom, CrispyDave.
Elorrum

Postby TomServo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:41 am

Many thanx. Taking my one year chip today. My dog needs some new bling. Hope to offend as many people as possible. But thank you all, my higher power, for the encouragement.

....and I still don't want a drink.

TomServo

Postby catinthefunnyhat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:03 am

(((TOM))) (((CrispyDave))) Congratulations to both of you!

I'd toast you with a nice, non-alcoholic drink, but I don't know what you like.
So I'll toast you with toast. In my experience, most people like toast.

If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.
catinthefunnyhat

Postby Elorrum » Sun May 12, 2013 11:01 am

bump?
TomServo wrote:Many thanx. Taking my one year chip today. My dog needs some new bling. Hope to offend as many people as possible. But thank you all, my higher power, for the encouragement.

Elorrum

Postby TomServo » Sun May 12, 2013 11:21 am

Elorrum wrote:bump?
TomServo wrote:Many thanx. Taking my one year chip today. My dog needs some new bling. Hope to offend as many people as possible. But thank you all, my higher power, for the encouragement.

Fuck A.A.!

TomServo

Postby tatonka » Thu May 23, 2013 5:42 am

Never been hooked on anything untill I had cancer and they gave me Oxy condone , after 9 mths of that they pulled it , and I went cold turkey for 6 weeks. Very misserable ,could not function :(

I drink about 3 beers a day , anymore I have to pee all night.
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Previous

Return to Open Discussion