Goggles and Dust Mask

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Goggles and Dust Mask

Postby kikidelosfeliz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:39 am

Finally finally had a reliable cool looking working duo of goggles and dust mask!! These were necessary survival gear the first two days of the week this year, when the dust was really blowing. The goggles were from Etsy, from a burner named JadedMinx. They were about $30 or so, with round lenses, and foam backing where they touch one's face. Here is a link to something similar: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goggles-Aviator ... 61ca988ce7. My optometrist was able to put in prescription lenses, that transitioned from day to night. That part was expensive. But they worked! I could see all the time, and with a little tape over the vents on the inside, they were pretty much dustproof, comfortable, and fit my face (even with angular cheekbones). The ones with rubber cups for the eyes are uncomfortable on me and don't seal well to keep out the dust. If you put some vaseline on the foam, it is even more dustproof. And they fold up small and fit in a pocket. As for the dust mask, I got a sport model from Respro, for about $29. It was amazing. The sport model, I think it is called the Sportstra, is for dust particles, not for solvent fumes, so it breathes better and doesn't get hot and sticky inside. It has a neoprene stretchy mask that velcros in back. Lightweight, relatively comfortable, and sorta cool looking. Also folds up small and fits in a pocket. For once I don't feel like I'm coughing up a lungful of playa dust.
cognitive dissident
kikidelosfeliz

Re: Goggles and Dust Mask

Postby kikidelosfeliz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:41 am

Here's a link to the Respro dust mask: http://www.respro.com/products/allergy- ... tsta_mask/
cognitive dissident
kikidelosfeliz

Postby JStep » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:45 am

nice mask. I just used goggles (a day pair and a night pair) and a bandana. We brought the whte dust masks you can get from hardware stores in a contractor pack of 50 but no one ever use more than 1. The bandana was about as effective and worlds more comfortable and convenient.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:28 pm

I love my onesie!

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Ataki » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:39 pm

Thanks for the link to the mask. The paper ones never seem to fit my strangely shaped head.
Praises be unto the blue wire, where forth all sarcasm may emit and to which may all sarcasm return... And though red wire be your brother in its eternal mockery, let us not forget that you two be different and unequal in your awesomeness.
Ataki

Burning Since: 2014

Postby phil » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:47 pm

On goggles, I've found that I need not only to fit my face but my hat. One pair of goggles is big enough to keep my hat from fitting on my head. I also sweat a lot, and the foam around my gogs gets wet from sweat. If it's hot enough, sweat collects on my face inside the goggles, making it a little steam bath for my eyes.

EDIT: my dust mask:
required link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/3392336217/
Last edited by phil on Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phil

Postby Oldguy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:00 pm

I was lucky enough this year that I did not have to use my goggles once. I did however have to close my eyes and stop walking about ten seconds one time till the wind died down. The weather was very good to us this year...
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:08 am

Or you could just get All star kit from www.cglasses.com that fit over prescription glasses and have night and day interchangeable lenses. I wouldnt spend a fortune on prescription goggles for one week out of my year. These are $35. My last pair lasted 5 burns. Just got a freshie, but theyre still as good as new since weather was so tame.
RedHeaven

Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby BBadger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:15 pm

Everyone's advice about using a bandanna instead of some bulky 3M N95 dust mask was spot on. It worked absolutely wonderful and saved me from having some terrible scratching shit on my neck. Kudos to you!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby deutlich » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:03 pm

RedHeaven wrote:Or you could just get All star kit from http://www.cglasses.com that fit over prescription glasses and have night and day interchangeable lenses. I wouldnt spend a fortune on prescription goggles for one week out of my year. These are $35. My last pair lasted 5 burns. Just got a freshie, but theyre still as good as new since weather was so tame.

Thanks for this tip! I wear prescription glasses and have been scouring the web for different types of goggles to wear over them (came up with motorcycle goggles and things of the like). To find a good set with interchangeable lenses was a bit more difficult. Bookmarking the goggles now!
| Liebe alles | 2012 Burgin |
Avi: http://archann.deviantart.com/
deutlich

Postby hookahdude » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Nice link!

I have about a dozen pair of goggles that I have collected over the years - everything from Chinese aviator (circa 1950's) to Yar! skiing goggles. I am fortunate that I only need glasses to read text, so I just grab what I think I want to wear.

Dust mask - I have 2 or three shemaghs that I keep with me at all times - seriously - I have one in the tool kit in my truck because the damn things are so handy - dust, cold, wind - etc. Best "hat" in the damn world!!
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby CaverX » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:22 pm

I decided to tough it out this year (my first).
I think that was a mistake, as I came home with a sore throat/cough, that lasted for about a week.
There was no fever, so I assume it was mostly the dust, though it could have been from smoking too much, and sharing drinks, and cigarettes. Nothing like a little playa lung to make your day brighter.
CaverX

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:34 am

Sunglasses from thrift stores. Wear them for a month pre-event to make sure you don't get a headache from them.
1 yard of unbleached muslin for dirt mask - 1000's of years of technology went into it's design. It works.
Or if you're really serious about long term day-wear: I tie 2.5 yards of muslin around my neck to insulate from the heat. Again, thousands of years of knowledge can't be too far off. When a dirt storm hits, this gets tied over my head and across my face - it is very comfortable, long wearing, and has a swamp cooler effect.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:27 pm

perfect dust mask and goggle combo...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Elorrum » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:54 pm

saw these on ebay... ordered a couple at $10 ea. ( less than the respro replacement filters alone)
respro knockoffs, or just unfortunately branded. I figure the pirate logo can be easily defaced, or removed. I've gone with the plain ol' bandana with no big complaints except that the taste of dust after a 4 hr. dust storm gets bad, and you wonder if it's even working any more. For the random 1/2 hr. though, the bandana has been fine. I just thought I'd check these out. prolly kind of warm, but I'm hoping the exhaust will be less stifling than a regular dust mask.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby moonrise » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:06 pm

robbidobbs wrote:Sunglasses from thrift stores. Wear them for a month pre-event to make sure you don't get a headache from them.
1 yard of unbleached muslin for dirt mask - 1000's of years of technology went into it's design. It works.
Or if you're really serious about long term day-wear: I tie 2.5 yards of muslin around my neck to insulate from the heat. Again, thousands of years of knowledge can't be too far off. When a dirt storm hits, this gets tied over my head and across my face - it is very comfortable, long wearing, and has a swamp cooler effect.

Is there a paricular type or thread count? Is it a good idea to buy the lowest, medium or highest quality of unbleached muslin? (it seems it wouldn't cost much more for the highest quality/thickest, for maximum dust filtration, but does the thickest drastically change the comfort level?) Thanks RB!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:07 pm

get the cheapest, put it through the laundry also. The idea is layering it to increase/decrease breathability vs heat.
robbidobbs

Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby TomServo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:26 am

for the kids
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:30 pm

kikidelosfeliz wrote:These were necessary survival gear the first two days of the week this year, when the dust was really blowing.

Ahem...this is no criticism of kiki as dustiness is often subjective and everyone has different tolerance levels...but I hate to break this to folks for whom this was their first year...there was virtually NO dust this year...other than that kicked up by vehicles and slogging feet. If anyone thinks the first couple of days this year was dusty, you're in for a great shock in future years.

I think 2011 was virtually dust free when one considers conditions in the previous 7 consecutive years...just sayin'...plan accordingly.

Playa axiom: the use of a dust mask is inversely proportional to its cost and complexity...the simpler the better. After six years of experimentation with all kinds of masks I've finally settled on the good old shemagh...best thing to come out of our involvement in the Middle East...generations of Arabs can't be wrong...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Postby Rice » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:14 pm

dragonpilot wrote:
kikidelosfeliz wrote:These were necessary survival gear the first two days of the week this year, when the dust was really blowing.

Ahem...this is no criticism of kiki as dustiness is often subjective and everyone has different tolerance levels...but I hate to break this to folks for whom this was their first year...there was virtually NO dust this year...other than that kicked up by vehicles and slogging feet. If anyone thinks the first couple of days this year was dusty, you're in for a great shock in future years.

I think 2011 was virtually dust free when one considers conditions in the previous 7 consecutive years...just sayin'...plan accordingly.

Playa axiom: the use of a dust mask is inversely proportional to its cost and complexity...the simpler the better. After six years of experimentation with all kinds of masks I've finally settled on the good old shemagh...best thing to come out of our involvement in the Middle East...generations of Arabs can't be wrong...

I did not use my dust mask or goggles once this year. I certainly had them with me at all times, but it really was not dusty. I wear glasses and have a set of BMX goggles that fit fantastically over them. The goggles have interchangeable lens so I can see at night. For a dust mask I usually wear a silk bandanna (it folds up small and is a lot less hassle than anything else).

The Monday after the temple burn in 2007... 12 hours of heavy wind, couldn't see your hand. That was a dust storm. I am sure we had dust storms in the following years, but honestly I don't remember them.

The only place I really experienced dust was when I was in the dust cloud at gate the first few days after the gate opened, oh and that one time I had to stop the Transpo bus till I could see the ground again (sorry again for making ppl late for their shifts ;) ) but that dust was caused by vehicles in the gate line and i wouldn't call it a dust storm.

Love Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby AntiM » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:11 am

stretch80 wrote:
dragonpilot wrote:

I did not use my dust mask or goggles once this year. I certainly had them with me at all times, but it really was not dusty. I wear glasses and have a set of BMX goggles that fit fantastically over them. The goggles have interchangeable lens so I can see at night. For a dust mask I usually wear a silk bandanna (it folds up small and is a lot less hassle than anything else).

The Monday after the temple burn in 2007... 12 hours of heavy wind, couldn't see your hand. That was a dust storm. I am sure we had dust storms in the following years, but honestly I don't remember them.

The only place I really experienced dust was when I was in the dust cloud at gate the first few days after the gate opened, oh and that one time I had to stop the Transpo bus till I could see the ground again (sorry again for making ppl late for their shifts ;) ) but that dust was caused by vehicles in the gate line and i wouldn't call it a dust storm.

Love Rice

2008. They cancelled the fire conclave performance, we had to navigate by the lamp posts to find the Man that afternoon. We were on foot, no vehicles were moving.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Rice » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:41 am

AntiM wrote:2008. They cancelled the fire conclave performance, we had to navigate by the lamp posts to find the Man that afternoon. We were on foot, no vehicles were moving.

Yes, I recall now ;) I carried my out-and-about bag to go to the porta-potties, the dust was a tad thick
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby tamarakay » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:01 pm

We kept finding ourselves out on (or is it "in") the deep playa about dusk. There were three occasions out there where you could not see one foot in front of you. It only lasted five minutes or so to that level, but remained thick for 30-45 minutes. Or thick enough that I had to use my mask and goggles. Ken never did feel the need for the mask, and seemed to be able to go goggle-less sooner. YMMV

Goggles and dust masks just need to be on your person at all times, you just never know.

Speaking of masks, be sure you come by Dyeing with Dignity some afternoon and paint/create your own dust scarf! We will be conveniently located at Barbie Death Camp. (I know, self serving shameless plug lol).
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby lemur » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:38 pm

AntiM wrote:2008. They cancelled the fire conclave performance, we had to navigate by the lamp posts to find the Man that afternoon. We were on foot, no vehicles were moving.

I was hanging lanterns on the lamplighters route to the temple on that day, saturday 2008.. it was really windy dusty from centercamp all the way to the temple..

we could barely go straight as a group, just finding the next set of spires was a problem.. (they are 100 feet apart i think?)

Once we finally got to the man the spires open up, theres no more visual references so we went straight to find a landmark, the man, We got to the pyro perimeter around the man with all of the rangers.. We couldnt see the man, the Rangers couldnt see him.. We asked where the temple was and the rangers didnt know as they came in as the dust storm blew up.. We nearly went down the 9 o'clock promenade before we got pointed in the right direction to the temple by a bystander..

It sucked, we were kind of 'lost' out there for a bit around the man.. and with all those carriers with full loads of 12 lanterns each blowing around in the wind.. its a bit crappy to be in that situation

I was lifting lanterns, which were impossible for us to relight in those conditions.. a ton of unlit lanterns went up.. or died out by the time the route was done..

with no vehicles moving it made for a tough 2mile journey.. (which is generally just half a mile because of work trucks helping out with people/gear moving)

(man am i glad I dont go out on routes anymore!)

I would surely agree with a few others: if your first year was 2011 .. it wasnt dusty.. maybe some dust from gate road got kicked up but that was nothin.

I had to put up my bandana to protect against dust for about 5 minutes total in nearly 2 weeks on the playa and no goggles needed at all..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:51 pm

oh yeah.. and, I cannot imagine being able to survive those types of conditions without a way to cover yer mouth/nose ... and you couldnt move without eye coverings.

those conditions at least FEEL dangerous, if you were the typical naked dude out there trying to get from the temple home in a total whiteout like we can get out there, i just cant imagine not being fucked up... o man.

yeah dude, it can get really dusty out there.

and beyond just dust, super strong winds.. last time i remember crazy strong wind was the 4? or so hour dust storm midweek in 2007.. we had to have had some 60-70mph+ gusts in camp that year

i guess i am pretty sheltered where i am now in centercamp in BRC.. lotsa the stuff seems to blow right over us.. i probably miss some wicked wind/dust out at the edges.. but this year seemed very mild.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby trilobyte » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:20 pm

Yeah, 2011 was nothing as far as dust is concerned - the worst it got was better than the best it got in previous burns. Still, in the dust mask department I only really use bandanas. The more elaborate stuff is great, but I wanted something simple that will do the job and is easy to take along everywhere. Goggles-wise, I've accumulated a variety of different pair of goggles over the years, as well as gifted, lost, broken, or discarded my fair share. Have at least one pair of tinted for daytime, and one pair of clear for night. During a big dust storm, dust particles can and will get into ventilation holes - so if you can get a pair that doesn't have them…bonus. If not, hopefully you can tape up or somehow block those vent holes.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Rice » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:24 pm

I have tried the sealed goggles and found my eyes suffer from overheating... I wear glasses and finding goggles that fit is challenging at best. Now I wear BMX goggles. They breath and work with my glasses - and for a added bonus they come with a tinted and clear lens. ymvm

Everyone is different and honestly I have tried some "amazing, perfect goggles" and found they just didn't work.
Love Rice

Rice

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:41 pm

I've never felt much need for googles. I"ve never really had a pair that "worked" either, but my glasses seem to be enough anyways.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Masks

Postby Nynaeve » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:21 pm

Need a good mask for this year. Saw playalung.com but I have a pretty small face. WIll a medium mask okay for me you think? Other suggestion for keeping the playa out? Thoughts on the playalung masks?

Thanks!
Nynaeve

Re: Proper Dust Mask for Playa?

Postby FeetOfClay » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:17 am

Just bought some dust masks, and wondering if they are okay for the playa... are they "strong" enough or have a high enough rating, etc:

http://www.amazon.com/Tekk-8661PC1-A-Home-Dust-5-Pack/dp/B000BQSXCU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342617285&sr=8-1&keywords=home+dust+mask+3m

they are "home dust masks", but i figured they'd be okay. any one wanna weigh in on this?

also, if i want to cover the dust mask with fabric (not just for added layer of protection, but also to make them kinda fun to wear), how have others done that?
can i just sew material over the mask? glue gun?
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear