Feed Me! (Newsfeed Support)

Read-only messages from the Burning Man Staff

Feed Me! (Newsfeed Support)

Postby trilobyte » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:18 am

We've added support for ATOM newsfeeds on the board. This means that in addition to using the site as you do in your browser, you can also use any newsreader that supports ATOM newsfeeds. I've enabled feeds board-wide, per-forum, and per-topic.

Feed format
The standard phpBB feed is ATOM format, NOT RSS, some feed readers may not be able to properly read the ATOM format. Although valid ATOM, it is quite unusual structured. There are no plans to add RSS format support with phpBB 3.x.

Security, access rights and passworded
The feed will show forums according your user credentials, if you have not logged in to the board, the feed will use Guests rights. Once you have logged in, your browser will keep the credentials wich may be passed to the feed and show forums accordingly.
Contents of Passworded forums are not shown at all.

Feed options
You should see a browser feed icon, and depending on what page of the board you are viewing one ore more different feeds can be selected from the feed icon pull-down menu (for that specific feed, for the general ePlaya feed, and for the new topics feed).

I've configured the feeds to display 30 items, and we'll see how it goes from there (I'm wary of setting that to some really high number, since that would just dump a lot of stuff on people and potentially affect the board's performance). If you're a newsreader junkie, please feel free to send me a private message to let me know how it works for you.

Cheers!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Feed Me! (Newsfeed Support)

Postby deutlich » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Sweet! Feeds make me happy.
| Liebe alles | 2012 Burgin |
Avi: http://archann.deviantart.com/
deutlich

Re: Feed Me! (Newsfeed Support)

Postby jkisha » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Yay!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Announcements