Costs of BM?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Costs of BM?

Postby Eric » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:32 pm

um....

*sigh*
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:34 pm

lemur wrote:party favors means illegal drugs.

Silly hats and streamers are more fun.

..with the right party favors.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby 48_love » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:39 pm

Eric wrote:um....

*sigh*

lol ... no snarkastic emoticon on ePlaya, I guess?
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby illy dilly » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:04 pm

junglesmacks wrote:

Don't forget noise makers!
And Bouncy balls!
And Mirrors,
And Blinky lights,
And Wistles,
And Shiny Crowns,
and Hot wheels cars..... I can do this all day!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:40 pm

illy dilly wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:

Don't forget noise makers!
And Bouncy balls!
And Mirrors,
And Blinky lights,
And Wistles,
And Shiny Crowns,
and Hot wheels cars..... I can do this all day!

..and this is why I love (all of) you.
junglesmacks

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:15 pm

48_love wrote:
Eric wrote:um....

*sigh*

lol ... no snarkastic emoticon on ePlaya, I guess?

Oh, Eric's not handicapped by the emoticon availability on this site. Not by a long shot. He has snark for the ages. It's just that as a mod, he is forced to deal with the tiresome repetitious posts about law-breaking.

(((((Eric)))))
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby teardropper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:21 pm

Oh great. Our secret code is now blown. Thanks a lot...

Damn. What will we do...?
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby teardropper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: he is forced to deal with the tiresome repetitious posts about law-breaking.

Yeah... like I said... damn law breakers...

So, who needs a secret code, anyway...?
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:28 pm

teardropper wrote:

I dunno, but I bought some great goggles in Reno, and I tried em out for the first time before the Trojan Horse Burn, and man, were they powerful. I waltzed naked with an off-duty LEO for like, hours, until the goggles finally wore off. And then I was like: wait, this is a lamp-post.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:31 pm

Savannah wrote:
teardropper wrote:

I dunno, but I bought some great goggles in Reno, and I tried em out for the first time before the Trojan Horse Burn, and man, were they powerful. I waltzed naked with an off-duty LEO for like, hours, until the goggles finally wore off. And then I was like: wait, this is a lamp-post.

well, one could imagine he was happy to see you..................
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:39 pm

ygmir wrote:
Savannah wrote:

well, one could imagine he was happy to see you..................

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
junglesmacks

Postby Nipple » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:40 pm

I'm late to the party... all the favors are gone.

Nipple

Postby teardropper » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Nipple wrote:... all the favors are gone.

I think we're using "goggles" now.

It gets so confusing...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby illy dilly » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:15 pm

teardropper wrote:I think we're using "goggles" now.

Party Goggles?

Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby Homiesinheaven » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:22 pm

your mileage may vary but dont let people make you think you HAVE TO spend a shit ton to get there and have a great time. it's all about how you budget and how creative you can be. i average around $1000 each year including the ticket. you can definitely do it for under $1000 and still be comfortable and not be "roughing it."

do your research and start saving.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby illy dilly » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:56 am

Homiesinheaven wrote:your mileage may vary but dont let people make you think you HAVE TO spend a shit ton to get there and have a great time. it's all about how you budget and how creative you can be. i average around $1000 each year including the ticket. you can definitely do it for under $1000 and still be comfortable and not be "roughing it."

do your research and start saving.

This is totally true!
Another way to greatly save some moolla is to buy things early when they're on sale, and not wait tell the last couple weeks and pay full price for everything.

Ebay/craigslist/amazon are other great ways to save money. Especially if you order early enough that you don't have to pay for expedited shipping.
illy dilly

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:09 am

illy dilly wrote:Ebay/craigslist/amazon are other great ways to save money. Especially if you order early enough that you don't have to pay for expedited shipping.

Lest we forget about the Amazon Prime trial trick with free 2 day shipping on anything that Amazon ships.

FYI this is still good. I've been changing email addresses every single month for the last 6 months since I figured this out and still.. with the same name, address, CC#, everything.. I manage to get a new free month of Prime every time. It pretty much rocks.

Just MAKE SURE to immediately go into your Amazon Prime subscription options and turn off automatic renewal so that they don't get you for the $79/year!
junglesmacks

Postby illy dilly » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:10 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
illy dilly wrote:Ebay/craigslist/amazon are other great ways to save money. Especially if you order early enough that you don't have to pay for expedited shipping.

Lest we forget about the Amazon Prime trial trick with free 2 day shipping on anything that Amazon ships.

Just MAKE SURE to immediately go into your Amazon Prime subscription options and turn off automatic renewal so that they don't get you for the $79/year!

o YEAH!
I totally did forget about that!

And its funny because it will pretty much tell you right after you sign up, that you need to and how to uncheck the "renew" box.
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Amazon can still tell it's you, btw. :lol: They can link related accounts in multiple ways--name, credit cards used, billing addresses, etc. I just think they accept that a certain amount of abuse is worth your business. And there are a certain number of people who forget to cancel the service in time, which makes them $79 per person plus the increased business once the person realizes: "Dammit, I just paid for it; I might as well make the most of this, then."

I tried Amazon Prime in August and liked it, and cancelled it on the last possible day allowed. I'll wait until that next time next year and see if they'll let me do it again--straight up. :)
Savannah

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Savannah wrote:Amazon can still tell it's you, btw. :lol: They can link related accounts in multiple ways--name, credit cards used, billing addresses, etc. I just think they accept that a certain amount of abuse is worth your business. And there are a certain number of people who forget to cancel the service in time, which makes them $79 per person plus the increased business once the person realizes: "Dammit, I just paid for it; I might as well make the most of this, then."

I tried Amazon Prime in August and liked it, and cancelled it on the last possible day allowed. I'll wait until that next time next year and see if they'll let me do it again--straight up. :)

Of course they can tell it's me. I don't even try and hide it. I use the same name, ship to address, CC#, everything. I think they leave that loophole open for the simple reason that they know you will buy more things from them with the Prime subscription/trial. If they wanted to close the loophole, they would. For that reason, I don't see any ethical reasons against it. It's simple using what they are giving you and giving them business in return.

For the same accounts, you get a free month of Prime every 13 months.. not 12. So, you would have to wait until September. Or.. just.. go make another account under a different email address. It's not so hard.. :wink:
junglesmacks

Postby Savannah » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:55 pm

I used to work there; I just can't do it. It's not at all a loyalty thing, it's that I . . . don't lack quite enough shame. :oops:
Savannah

Postby essjay » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:05 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Of course they can tell it's me. I don't even try and hide it. I use the same name, ship to address, CC#, everything. I think they leave that loophole open for the simple reason that they know you will buy more things from them with the Prime subscription/trial. If they wanted to close the loophole, they would. For that reason, I don't see any ethical reasons against it. It's simple using what they are giving you and giving them business in return.

I agree with Savannah. I think they let the loophole open because enough people will forget to cancel and that is free money for them. Their business model allows for a certain number of shrewd consumers like junglesmacks, who will avoid the fee, yet they still know they will come out ahead with enough people who forget, which will more than pay for the few shrewd customers who can work their system.

Edit to add: That said, I don't agree that there is any shame in it. Amazon knows what they are doing and if you are able to game it, they are prepared for that.
essjay

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:08 pm

essjay wrote:I agree with Savannah. I think they let the loophole open because enough people will forget to cancel and that is free money for them. Their business model allows for a certain number of shrewd consumers like junglesmacks, who will avoid the fee, yet they still know they will come out ahead with enough people who forget, which will more than pay for the few shrewd customers who can work their system.

Don't forget also that because of the Prime trial, I'm giving them way more business than I normally would. They are making it up in the added business.
junglesmacks

Postby essjay » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:12 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Don't forget also that because of the Prime trial, I'm giving them way more business than I normally would. They are making it up in the added business.

Yes, I have no doubt that Amazon is doing just fine, even though you are shrewd enough to understand the system they created . . .
essjay

Postby Savannah » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:13 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
essjay wrote:I agree with Savannah. I think they let the loophole open because enough people will forget to cancel and that is free money for them. Their business model allows for a certain number of shrewd consumers like junglesmacks, who will avoid the fee, yet they still know they will come out ahead with enough people who forget, which will more than pay for the few shrewd customers who can work their system.

Oh, I know. :)

If Amzn as a business felt they were getting ripped off, this business would definitely close the loophole. Case in point: they used to hand out gift certificates like candy after mistakes (even sometimes a customer's mistake or ignorance led to a problem), but stopped being so free with them after a certain point, training customers not to expect them. It used to be quite the free-for-all.
Savannah

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks