HELP! Anyone Have Experience Fighting a Traffic Ticket!?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: HELP! Anyone Have Experience Fighting a Traffic Ticket!?

Postby Nipple » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Hah! I just caught that I had a typo in replying...

Not sure what exactly is belonging to the Romans...

Anyway... back when I was in high school, I made the reverse mistake. I was reading a poem (I forget who wrote it, or what it was...) out loud in class and said "cavalry" instead of "Calvary".

The teacher jumped up and laughed and said "YOU JUST PUT HORSES ON THE HILL WITH JESUS! TRAMPLING ALL OVER EVERYTHING!"
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:04 pm

gyre wrote:Some places have the option of contesting the ticket by mail.
I don't know about nevada.
Often they fail to respond timely.

There are some books and webhouses about this sort of thing.

Disclaimer - NONE OF WHAT I WROTE BELOW IS LEGAL ADVICE. SEE A LAWYER.

(Oh crumbcakes, this is what I get for answering a post that I don't realize is fuggin' old... so I edited the shit outta it. So sue me!!)

The letter thing is a "Trial by Declaration"... You contact the clerk, they send you a package showing how its done, you do your written thing and have it notarized (and I think the notary swears you too). Prob is you will likely be found guilty (the cop will write a response, as it's just another piece of paperwork, he's got all his notes and a healthy imagination, so it's a crapshoot.)

I'd fly to Reno and show up and say aw shit, yer honor, except it's already said and done. And then it's only a $102 ticket/ WTF??!! here in CA they'd get you for at least $300.

Final thing - California and Nevada DMV records are transparent to one another, while some states may not show up here, a Nevada conviction usually will...

I were you I'd be bringing in the calvary on this one...
Attachments
PBR_Jesus.jpg
PBR_Jesus.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Nipple wrote:I was reading a poem (I forget who wrote it, or what it was...) out loud in class and said "cavalry" instead of "Calvary".

The teacher jumped up and laughed and said "YOU JUST PUT HORSES ON THE HILL WITH JESUS! TRAMPLING ALL OVER EVERYTHING!"

And, here I am, in my mid- to late-forties, and just realizing they are not the same word...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Rice » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Mikey Lion wrote:I have until tomorrow to pay my fine... it's looking like I'm going to have to suck it up and pay it today. Yes I was speeding going 35 in a 25. Luckily my ticket is only for $102. I just hope it doesn't get back to my insurance and raise my rate sky high. :(

The reason I was wondering about a traffic lawyer in Washoe County is because here in San Diego we have an awesome lawyer who runs a practice called Mr. Ticket. He only charges $100 and wins about 80% of the cases. Has worked every time for me :)

Um, why would one pay $100 to try and get off a $102 ticket???

Its starting to get cold here, I am sure that I am missing something...

Rice
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby gyre » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:29 pm

Principle

Thousands of possible extra costs in insurance

Job loss
gyre

Postby Rice » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:54 pm

gyre wrote:Principle

Job loss

Ah. Up here you get potential insurance and license cost increases. At least for that speed difference. There is a possibility of a Dangerous Driving charge from the police, but you have to be stupid speeding to get that (ie: going 130Km in a 60Km construction zone).

Still learning the fundamental differences between the American and Canadian ways of the world...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby gyre » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:10 pm

Just because you leave your lights on and drive on the wrong side of the road, doesn't make it a different country.

I am impressed that DUI is taken more seriously than attempted murder though.
gyre

Postby Nipple » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:24 pm

gyre wrote:Job loss

My employer pulls has a 3rd party pull DMV records for all of the people in driving positions once a year. I have a work truck available to me, so that counts. A speeding ticket is 3 points. An at fault accident is 6 points. A DUI is 9 points. This keeps the companies insurance SUPER low.

If we have 9 or greater, we're invited to seek other opportunities... you don't have to go home, but you can't work here!

For a while I had a speeding ticket on my record. Until it fell off every car on the road was a possible career ender. Someone just had to cut me off and jam on the brakes and I'm done.

So... for me, any kind of vehicle infraction is something I'm going to hire an attorney for.

(Other interesting side note... if I was drunk, and on a bike and got stopped, I could get fired.)
Nipple

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:36 pm

stretch80 wrote:

Job loss

Ah. Up here you get potential insurance and license cost increases. At least for that speed difference. There is a possibility of a Dangerous Driving charge from the police, but you have to be stupid speeding to get that (ie: going 130Km in a 60Km construction zone).

Still learning the fundamental differences between the American and Canadian ways of the world...

Not much of a "principle" here...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby gyre » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:40 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
stretch80 wrote:

Job loss

Not much of a "principle" here...

Next time you're falsely accused, feel free to plead guilty then.
gyre

Postby Rice » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:06 am

Principle...

Are we talking about being caught speeding, and knowing that yes, one was speeding?? If so, then yes, there are consequences, and possibly a lawyer will get you fair treatment, and minimal punishment. ie only getting punished for the crime, and as minimally as the law will allow. The op stated he was speeding. so, uh, he got caught.

False accusation is a completely different conversation!
Love Rice

Rice

Postby gyre » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:16 pm

The question was why someone would pay more than the fine, and in fact risk paying far more than the fine.

To deny access to due process, most places add on very high court costs if you don't win outright.

You may risk paying $800 to fight a $40 ticket.

Most traffic courts have nothing to do with safety or justice.

Anyone that thinks fines have any relationship to justice should examine countires with fines based on income.
Many traffic penalties are part of the disenfranchisement conspiracy in full swing across the country now.

Regressive revenue coillection has always been the goal though.

http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/public/wsj_finland.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/haveyoursay/ ... based.html
http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-01-11/n ... e-ministry

Regressive fines have been so successful that some cities have had to have amnesties, due to so many people being effectively outlawed that the system begins to break down as more and more people refuse to act as witnesses, report crimes, traffic accidents, and so on.

Once they give up, they stop paying all fines too.
This is the primary motivation for cities.
gyre

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man